Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012
I haven’t listened to it since about six months after it launched and it was clearly a pale imitation of Football Weekly. I notice it’s part of the Athletic these days, but I’ve now idea what that means for its quality, or how it relates to the main Athletic podcast (which is usually a pretty decent listen)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
It's fine. I think it just depends on how many football podcasts you want to hear a week that cover the same thing. I listen to less these days. Football cliches is good because it covers slightly different stuff which is my go to second one.

britishbornandbread
Jul 8, 2000

You'll stumble in my footsteps

Answers Me posted:

I’ll never tire of Barry Glendenning talking down the England national team. Doing god’s work for any non-English listeners

Although I can’t help but note that they said it was a late night recording, and he’d clearly had a few cans

I can understand why the anyone but England crew would enjoy it, fair enough, but it was horrific listening and he was clearly pissed. Calling Max a Kane fanboy was pathetic.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards
I haven't listened to that episode, but as an Irish person his usual stuff is the most boring poo poo imaginable. I get that it must be pretty insufferable to hate the England team while living there and working in football, but it's the ultimate pub bore shite I've been hearing my whole life.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Seltzer posted:

Just out of curiosity, how is the totally football show doing? It seemed like a dud on arrival and also to have no footprint in the wider media landscape.

It’s as it ever was, certainly more listenable than the Guardian pod has been for a long time. Revolving guests are slightly less annoying, Jimbo remains witty, no Glendenning.

It’s the Athletic’s flagship football content as far as I’m concerned, the athletic football podcast is awful in comparison.

I’m sure it’s behind both in subscribers.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
FC has poisoned my brain to the point of me only being able to hear this tweet in my head in adam's impression of him.

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Julian. Nagelsman. Is a good name to say in the richard keys voice

McFlurry Fan #1
Dec 31, 2005

He can't kill me. I'm indestructible. Everybody knows that

And you have to say 'Nay-gelsman'

Tifo podcast is finishing in June - an acquired taste but I've enjoyed it especially their world cup podcasts

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/archiert1/status/1652730107759403013?s=20

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
I did not expect an adam curtis impression on FC.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Jippa posted:

I did not expect an adam curtis impression on FC.

I would love to see Richard Curtis talk about Richard Keys in a doc, though.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
Found in the wild.

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012
Football Weekly are too cowardly to bin off Jordan for being terrible so have resorted to ‘accidentally’ losing his audio…

nawilo_420
Nov 24, 2021
:redflag:

Answers Me posted:

Football Weekly are too cowardly to bin off Jordan for being terrible so have resorted to ‘accidentally’ losing his audio…

yeah it's pretty transparent lol

I really don't understand why they keep inviting him. is there a contract or something?

It's not just personal preference, he just really sticks out like a sore thumb whenever he's there, he's so loving cringe and its so obvious that he's not on the level of the other people who are on that podcast.

Weavered
Jun 23, 2013

nawilo_420 posted:

yeah it's pretty transparent lol

I really don't understand why they keep inviting him. is there a contract or something?

It's not just personal preference, he just really sticks out like a sore thumb whenever he's there, he's so loving cringe and its so obvious that he's not on the level of the other people who are on that podcast.

Laziness and apathy. Compare to how they reported the Vinicius Junior racism this week to the Totally Football Show. FW has Max give just the headline about the monkey chants before he reads out Twitter posts from Vinicius, La Liga and others then they all agree that Spain is racist compared to the rest of Europe, before he does the “we’re all bad so what can you do” routine. They don’t even bother to get Sid Lowe on.

Whereas TFS describes the abuse he gets in the game, Vinicius’s sending off and has Jimbo questioning Romero about why La Liga is so limp. La Liga is called out as in the wrong along with Valencia without reading out a single Twitter Post (as far as I can tell anyway).

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
With football cliches on a summer break here is this weeks keys & grey corner.

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Needless to say, he had the last laugh

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

the sex ghost posted:

Needless to say, he had the last laugh

His blog on the subject gives off that energy more than ever, I think.

https://richardajkeys.com/index.php/blog/377-re-wedding-coverage

quote:

Re: Wedding coverage
My goodness - for someone that the Press have wanted cancelled for a long time now there’s an awful lot of interest in me and my wife today.

Let me address some of the inaccuracies that I’ve been reading. And some of the irony in the reporting. The Mail consistently try to do me harm - and want me cancelled, yet they spend more time talking about me - and quoting me - than any other publication.

I’ll never forget what a senior x-Mail journalist told me shortly after I’d left Sky. He called me because he was chasing a story. I was furious with him and let him have it. When I’d finished abusing him he said ‘we were told - bury them - and make sure nothing sticks to Redknapp’. Jamie wrote a column for them at the time. There’s a whole lot more to the story but that’s for another time.

‘Shamed’ they constantly scream. Really? Mistakes were made at the time and I’ve addressed them previously. ‘Shamed’ - all these years on? Why the anger guys? It’s not healthy. What actually are you trying to achieve?

Nick Pisa - why not ask? Why make it up? You were wrong time and again when you worked at the Sun. You’re now just re-quoting your own nonsense. Check - check - and check again. That was the first thing I was taught when I trained. Get it right. Journo’s hate it when you pull them up. They see being called to account as an affront.

When my first marriage collapsed my wife was not suffering with cancer. She’d been seven years in remission after a dreadful scare - one she managed with dignity and bravery. And I was with her every step of the way. She is still very much alive and well, although it is true that cancer sufferers always need to be careful about their health.

Sadly my daughters’ problems have become too well known. In her case she has been ill for many many years. Her problems cost her everything, including an embryonic acting career. I’ve tried to protect her from intrusion, but failed. Tell me this guys - why publish a half naked picture of her in your articles today? How does that add value to your story? Leave her alone.

I was not ‘sacked in disgrace’. I resigned of my own volition after Sky sacked Andy. As he himself has said ‘they were after me. Keysie was collateral damage’. He’s my mate. I will always stand by him - just as he has me. The reason he lost his job is because he was suing News Corp - who’d hacked his phone and put him under video surveillance. What a disgusting intrusion at any time - but he worked for them ffs. He later won his case in court.

Lucie was never my daughters’ friend - let alone her best friend. They met twice. The circumstances don’t matter - at this stage. That’s something else I’ll address going forward.

Lucie has her own high-powered career and doesn’t need the nonsense that she’s reading today. She and her employers - two big multi-National companies - have been incredible during our time together. They have shown amazing support to her. Who is Lucie Rose? What does it matter?

The break-up of my first marriage did not ‘wreck’ my children’s lives. One was 28 - the other 32.

Covid didn’t previously postpone the wedding. I’m sorry you missed the official ceremony last Thursday guys.

My son Josh wasn’t at the ceremony at the weekend.

My response to Jamie Redknapp was as a result of him telling me that night at Chelsea ‘I’ll be at your house when you get home - hanging out of the back of Julia and Jemma’. I wonder if this little nugget will get much traction? Somehow I doubt it.

What he said was edited from a carefully edited tape. ‘Hanging out of the back of….’ Redknapp’s phraseology. Not mine. I simply mimicked it. As I did with ‘smash it’. Does anyone seriously believe I’m childish enough to use phrases like that?

It was Lucie that decided not to pursue Jemma’s disgusting and threatening text messages. She dropped the charges because the case was hurting me and would only have caused Jemma more harm. It was not the CPS that decided to drop it.

It’s time to let this go guys. What has been achieved by both Andy and myself since leaving Sky is incredible. Thanks to some brave and very loyal people we’re still going. Again - I ask - what exactly are you trying to achieve?

As for the disgusting morons on Twitter - there are no words.

Pure gold.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
He annoys in a way I can't put into words properly.

britishbornandbread
Jul 8, 2000

You'll stumble in my footsteps
he genuinely sounds like Morrissey at the start of that quote.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
Holy hell, the troy Townsend of football weekly. What a gut punch.

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012

The Perfect Element posted:

A really good listen. Aside from all the heartbreak, I’m glad Max asked the question I’d always hoped someone would ask Troy: what’s it like having a son who’s absolutely loaded.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
Yeah that was cool. Shame Troy is too classy to give anything other than a discrete answer.

I think about it a lot though, with footballers. Like, if you know your mate/relative earns £150k per week, that must create all kinds of weird situations and conflicts unless they're super generous with it.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Answers Me posted:

A really good listen. Aside from all the heartbreak, I’m glad Max asked the question I’d always hoped someone would ask Troy: what’s it like having a son who’s absolutely loaded.

That was a great interview but by far the funniest part, some well-needed levity.

Gambrinus
Mar 1, 2005

The Perfect Element posted:

Agreed. I didn't really know who he was before that, and was vaguely wondering how being the father of a decent player qualified you to be on a football podcast.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Knock it forward get it to Bobby!!!

Incredible.

generally I prefer
Apr 17, 2006

algebra testes posted:

Knock it forward get it to Bobby!!!

Incredible.

I would give quite a lot to have seen the video of Nedum doing that impression.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
Jonesing for football cliches.

:f5:

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Jippa posted:

Jonesing for football cliches.

:f5:

Same.

I saw Adam say it was back "asap" on twitter the other day, but it's odd that there hasn't been any episodes so far this season. Shame Dave's left The Athletic, too.

grvm
Sep 27, 2007

The violent young pony.
Will they open up the war chest after dave left or are they going to leave it to the youngsters? Leaving it late in the window ….

Also yes, need it back asap.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

Mickolution posted:

Same.

I saw Adam say it was back "asap" on twitter the other day, but it's odd that there hasn't been any episodes so far this season. Shame Dave's left The Athletic, too.

Has there been anything else from him?

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Jippa posted:

Has there been anything else from him?

Not that I've seen. It's really strange.

edit: He had an article on The Athletic today and here's the stickied comment:

Mickolution fucked around with this message at 12:49 on Sep 15, 2023

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
Thanks, he must be fed up with people pestering him about it.

I laughed at J Wilson's comments on watching todd boehly celebrating an obviously offside goal for ages.

Obligatory.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c29OpzjjXc0

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
It is unacceptable for someone who looks like this to be on national television

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
Who is that?

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Lol is that Hornecastle?

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005

algebra testes posted:

Lol is that Hornecastle?

It is

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Thought it was that oval office off GB News for a minute.

I like Horncastle. Always reminded me of some sort of Victorian gent who got really into whichever colony he went off to.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
Yeah he is a good guy. I could imagine him being traditional games mod on SA. :hehe:

His greatest appearance to date is in ross kemp on gangs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
For connoisseurs of finer things, full Sid ep on latest Football Weekly.

Complete with Sid completely destroying Max with a pun.