Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
Football Weekly was excellent yesterday with Jonathan Wilson and Barry Glendenning being back. Much better than the dross that was on Thursday's.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MoPZiG
Jun 6, 2006

"Ashley Cole is one of the few world class players in the premier league"

Christ the scouse guy on The Game Podcast is thick as poo poo.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards
Yeah, that was nonsense. I like him, but that's just because he's one of the few pro-Liverpool people on the podcasts I listen to. He's often good value for just being really biased.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
I enjoy the football ramble as they try to keep things pretty neutral and simply football orientated. They also all come across as actual fans.

The guardian and times casts are ok but they often stray into the talksport thing of trolling a specific set of fans to try and drum up traffic.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Jippa posted:

I enjoy the football ramble as they try to keep things pretty neutral and simply football orientated. They also all come across as actual fans.

The guardian and times casts are ok but they often stray into the talksport thing of trolling a specific set of fans to try and drum up traffic.

The Guardian especially. It's probably the best I listen to (Guardian, Times & Soccernet), but the quality really varies depending on who's on the panel.

MoPZiG
Jun 6, 2006

Sports Illustrated has also just started their own pod. If you are a Grant Wahl fan or American you may want to check it out.

ICA
Nov 23, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Boo

MoPZiG posted:

Sports Illustrated has also just started their own pod. If you are a Grant Wahl fan or American you may want to check it out.

Got a link?

oldman
Dec 15, 2003
grumpy
I know you guys are a lot like me and are keenly interested in minor leagues outside of Europe.

Here's one about the K-League of Korea.

http://outsideview.podbean.com/

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.

oldman posted:

I know you guys are a lot like me and are keenly interested in minor leagues outside of Europe.

Here's one about the K-League of Korea.

http://outsideview.podbean.com/

ooo I could listen and learn why Gangwon FC are so terrible. I live in Chuncheon so they're my local team but got bored of watching them lose every game.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Sad Panda posted:

ooo I could listen and learn why Gangwon FC are so terrible. I live in Chuncheon so they're my local team but got bored of watching them lose every game.

Post + avatar

I just saw a video of barry glendenning today and it was just frightening. I always figured he was a 60 year old obese man.

oldman
Dec 15, 2003
grumpy

Sad Panda posted:

I'm in Yang-Yang nowadays (I just started a new job) and Gangwon at least has some decent support and plays an open game. Teams like Busan and Gwangju (though its different for the Sangmu boys) are just beyond terrible.

the podcasters are all my old Suwon buddies :shobon:

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.

oldman posted:

I'm in Yang-Yang nowadays (I just started a new job) and Gangwon at least has some decent support and plays an open game. Teams like Busan and Gwangju (though its different for the Sangmu boys) are just beyond terrible.

the podcasters are all my old Suwon buddies :shobon:

I watched Gangwon in their first year. I watched their 2-1 win away to FC Seoul which was a great start. After that they just seemed to drop away and they've not won a game I've seen since. Do you make it to Gangneung to watch them or are you still a Suwon fan?

oldman
Dec 15, 2003
grumpy

Sad Panda posted:

I watched Gangwon in their first year. I watched their 2-1 win away to FC Seoul which was a great start. After that they just seemed to drop away and they've not won a game I've seen since. Do you make it to Gangneung to watch them or are you still a Suwon fan?

I've just arrived in Yang-Yang, so I haven't had a proper free weekend to go to Gangeung. I'd like to take in a Gangwon match, they have good support for the K-League but I wouldn't be anything more than an interested neutral unless Suwon was playing.

I saw my first K-League game about three years ago (also my first proffesional soccer game) between Suwon and Seoul. After that I've tried to go to games across all the divisions of Korea, but Suwon is my first team.

Gangwon's team was pretty much the second division team 'Ulsan Mipo Dockyard' brought in almost whole into the K-League, the coach and near half the players all went at once. Which helps explain gangwon's good form early last season, as they already had chemistry and were able to take their opponents by suprise.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

kri kri posted:

I just saw a video of barry glendenning today and it was just frightening. I always figured he was a 60 year old obese man.

He looks like Frank Grimes.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

kri kri posted:

Post + avatar

Ha ha yeah. His face doesn't fit his voice/personality at all.

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

A Black Mark For Retarded Posting

Jippa posted:

Ha ha yeah. His face doesn't fit his voice/personality at all.
I always imagined him exactly as the bearded Irish guy from Shameless.

Also I love Barry but the way he insists on pronouncing "Sunderland" gets on my nerves every time.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Hoops posted:

I always imagined him exactly as the bearded Irish guy from Shameless.

Also I love Barry but the way he insists on pronouncing "Sunderland" gets on my nerves every time.

Perhaps it's because I'm Irish, but how does he pronounce it wrong?

Before I saw what he looked like, I always imagined him looking like Roy from the IT Crowd.

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

A Black Mark For Retarded Posting

Mickolution posted:

Perhaps it's because I'm Irish, but how does he pronounce it wrong?

Before I saw what he looked like, I always imagined him looking like Roy from the IT Crowd.
He says "SunderLAND", like DisneyLAND, with a big emphasis on the "ah" sound in land. I've only ever really heard it pronounced Sunderlund, like you would pronounce England as "Inglund". It's a tiny, tiny little annoyance but I notice it every time.

Same with how Garth Crook's always says "yoo-eee-fah" for UEFA.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

But it is SunderLAND :)

gibsonisacripple
Feb 24, 2001

CHAMPIONS
I love how the pod is out just before I head home from work.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/blog/audio/2010/oct/07/football-weekly-extra-podcast-liverpool-manchester-city

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
You should hear Americans trying to pronounce Leicester, that's even worse. :D

Any way St Pauli's sausage train on the football ramble sounds fantastic!

hrolf
Nov 28, 2008

by Fistgrrl
Anyone else want to punch Barry Glendenning

The Finn
Aug 27, 2004

إنه أصلع في الأسفل، كما تعلم

hrolf posted:

Yeah I get this quite often actually

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

hrolf posted:

Yeah every week usually

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

Potato Count: 2 small potatoes
Why?

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

hrolf posted:

nah i like him 99% of the time

Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

Reading through the thread, I see a few people don't like World Football Daily or don't think it's worth the money. I've been a paid subscriber since the day they offered subscriptions and I definitely think it's worth it. Five shows 90 minutes to 2 hours each week is good value for my $5/mo.

As an American continuing to try to follow world football more, it's been a great resource. Granted, I would probably learn a lot listening to any football podcast 8-10 hours a week, but the broad range of stuff they cover on WFD (EPL, Serie A, La Liga, the Championship, MLS, the business of the game, match fixing, player interviews, etc.) makes it a good fit for me. My only complaint is that neither of them is a very good interviewer; Steven especially is bad at constantly interrupting the guests whenever he comes up with some stupid joke which is never funny, and the shaky international phone connections don't help the constant start-and-stopping.

MoPZiG
Jun 6, 2006

Has the subscription-service led to fewer children calling in?

Anyway a bit late but The Chels has been added to Playback Media's Library. Now only Fulham is left wanting in London club's specific pods.

Chivas Aribas!
May 21, 2007

Dunbar posted:

Reading through the thread, I see a few people don't like World Football Daily or don't think it's worth the money. I've been a paid subscriber since the day they offered subscriptions and I definitely think it's worth it. Five shows 90 minutes to 2 hours each week is good value for my $5/mo.

As an American continuing to try to follow world football more, it's been a great resource. Granted, I would probably learn a lot listening to any football podcast 8-10 hours a week, but the broad range of stuff they cover on WFD (EPL, Serie A, La Liga, the Championship, MLS, the business of the game, match fixing, player interviews, etc.) makes it a good fit for me. My only complaint is that neither of them is a very good interviewer; Steven especially is bad at constantly interrupting the guests whenever he comes up with some stupid joke which is never funny, and the shaky international phone connections don't help the constant start-and-stopping.

As a percentage how much time is still being spent taking phone calls?

I'd be interested if it dropped below 20 percent.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

The sausage train I was talking about earlier, the bundesliga is the best league in europe. :cheers:

http://www.metro.co.uk/sport/oddballs/842621-hot-dog-train-attracting-new-fans-to-fc-st-pauli

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

We were talking earlier about how we imagine what regulars on podcasts look like. This certainly isn't how I imagined Jonathon Wilson:

Nor is this how I imagined Marcotti, I thought he'd be a lot more greasy looking:

Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

Chivas Aribas! posted:

As a percentage how much time is still being spent taking phone calls?

I'd be interested if it dropped below 20 percent.
I'd say well below 20%. Most of the show is either Steven/Kenny by themselves talking about games/news or journalists calling in. Shows are roughly 90 minutes and I'd say less than 10 minutes of most shows is calls, unless they happen to get someone particularly knowledgeable about something call in.

MoPZiG
Jun 6, 2006

I hadnt ever considered Rooney leaving United until they brought it up on the FW pod. Sir Alex really doesnt like his renegades.

Cjones
Jul 4, 2008

Democracia Socrates, MD

MoPZiG posted:

I hadnt ever considered Rooney leaving United until they brought it up on the FW pod. Sir Alex really doesnt like his renegades.

It's still a stupid idea

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Cjones posted:

It's still a stupid idea

It's happened before.

Cjones
Jul 4, 2008

Democracia Socrates, MD

Mickolution posted:

It's happened before.

If you're referring to a certain Portuguese fellow then yeah, it's still a stupid idea. Where would he go? Livahpool?

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.

Cjones posted:

If you're referring to a certain Portuguese fellow then yeah, it's still a stupid idea. Where would he go? Livahpool?

They suggested he would also be heading to Real.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Cjones posted:

No, I'm referring to Ince, Beckham, Stam...

ICA
Nov 23, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Boo
Has that chap just started following football, coz... seriously. The comment wasn't even really applicable to Ronaldo. It was pretty clearly a Beckham ref.

Anyway, they're (Guardian's Football Weekly are) loving doing a show from Liverpool tomorrow. gently caress off.

I hate these experiments. None have been worthwhile (live, video). The Pod is excellent, don't gently caress with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

ICA posted:

I hate these experiments. None have been worthwhile (live, video). The Pod is excellent, don't gently caress with it.

Couldn't agree more.