Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

LordPants posted:

I love Ewan sitting shittily while Jimbo rattles off a bunch of bullshit Aberdeen stats.

I got the joke, but honestly why do they even bother talking about Scottish football

Feels like such a waste of time, and I find it hard to believe there's hordes of Scottish football fans clamouring to hear a 1-minute discussion about their weekend's games

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
No chance. He's a great actor but definitely not A-list.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

I think it works better when it's Jimbo and Barry with two more serious people, as I find when it's three super-serious people with Jimbo it gets very dry very quickly. I like Ian Mackintosh's enthusiasm for everything, but he's just not that funny.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

julian assflange posted:

As in just one paid special and nothing else or is that on top of the existing shows?

On top of existing shows. They'll still do the Ramble twice a week, but also do a subscription-only special on a monthly basis.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Without Pete it'd just be a slightly less informative Football Weekly. The preview shows where he isn't are noticeably less funny, since although he's the clown, the others all riff off of him.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Yeah sometimes he's a bit grating, but his Pardew rant this week was probably the funniest thing I've heard on the show in years

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

11 Rooneys .. he's played pretty much every position already anyway

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

opus111 posted:

Pete's mushroom was amazing and that was the second reference to Spelsy being a church man that I've noticed.

Yeah holy poo poo that mushroom segment was the funniest bit they've done since, I dunno, Pete's FA cup final Pardew rant maybe? I was dying of laughter

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

I find the Ramble is only good when all four are present. They all balance each other out so well that when it's only 3 you get overloaded with too much Luke or whatever. Though Pete seems way less interested this season now that Newcastle aren't around.

Football Weekly lives or dies on the guests. Some weeks it's great, other weeks it's awful.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Sid Lowe annoys me because he's prone to just rambling on for minutes at a time, even when Jimbo's asked him a yes or no question. Although it was funny that time his dog was yapping in the background and Jimbo kept asking questions about the dog while Sid keeps trying to steer the conversation back to Ronaldo or something.

The only FW regular I don't like is Jacob Steinberg, he just sounds like such a dull person and he's constantly umming and ahhing. I think it was him who said a few weeks ago in response to a question like "what do you hate more than anything else" he replied "birthdays and Christmas" :wtc:

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

LordPants posted:

Is Jacob the one that nearly burned to death on a British 777 and described it in the most boring, dull way?

Because yes, he annoys me.

Yeah that's him. I can understand if he didn't want to talk about it, but he basically went "uhh, yeah it was a bit umm scary" and that was it.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

webmeister posted:

Sid Lowe annoys me because he's prone to just rambling on for minutes at a time, even when Jimbo's asked him a yes or no question. Although it was funny that time his dog was yapping in the background and Jimbo kept asking questions about the dog while Sid keeps trying to steer the conversation back to Ronaldo or something.

It's like I saw the future :tinfoil:

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Jippa posted:

Football weekly are always pretty funny at responding to angry people in the comments.

Come along to our live show where you can abuse Ian Mackintosh!

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Marcus Speller, Fulham fan. Didn't see that one coming!

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

I actually enjoyed it, he was even more self-deprecating than Max Rushden and that's no mean feat

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Wow, rip football weekly :stare:

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

It's getting spicy

quote:

Our brand new presenter Max Rushden is joined by the loyal Barry Glendenning, the devoted Gregg Bakowski and the faithful Jonathan Wilson for the first Football Weekly of the 2017-18 football season.

We begin by unpacking the latest star attraction to turn his back on his long-term employers, Neymar, with Sid Lowe.

webmeister fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Aug 3, 2017

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Yeah that intro was really good. Barry sounded genuinely pissed off lol

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Bacon Terrorist posted:

Not sure about Kelly Cates on Totally Football Show, hopefully she'll find her feet though I got a total luvvies vibe from her and Jimbo at times.

Yeah, she sounded really nervous and unsure which I guess will sort itself out in time. "I don't know" for half of her predictions wasn't a great omen though

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Mandalay posted:

"I don't know" isn't great, but it's not as bad as "well i think maybe slightly possibly" <benign opinion> from J. Steinberg or P. McInnes.

I still boggle that Jacob Steinberg was in a literal plane crash, and his only comment about it on the show a few weeks later was "oh yeah it wasn't great, I didn't like it that much"

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

I actually really enjoyed this week's FW, Max telling Barry to gently caress off got a hearty lol from me

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

I don't remember one from last week either, so it's probably safe to assume it's gone

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Yeah, as much as I like Jimbo I don't think I have room for six hours of football podcasts in my week, and TFS is obviously the weakest of the three I listen to. I'm actually surprised how much better FW has been with Max and Barry, though I don't have the same blinding hatred of Max that some people seem to.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

I still wonder about the actual cause behind the split. Jimbo said a few times that they wanted to shake things up and try a few different things, but aside from doing that quiz or whatever in the first show it's been literally no different. Though of course it's probably about money

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Mandalay posted:

I thought it was funny how Max broke for an advert and then nothing came on. It nicely highlighted how little business sense they apparently have at Guardian FW.

Aren't the ads served dynamically based on your location? Listening from Australia I never got ads in any football podcasts (I always wondered why subscribing to Acast Plus for ad-free Rambles was a good deal when I got that anyway :v:), but once I started listening in other countries I started getting ads. I'm in France at the moment and one of them had an ad in French this week.

I think this is also why the show first appears as 1 hour and 5 minutes or whatever, but when you actually hit play it drops to 56 minutes or so.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

As much as I love Jimbo, I think FW has been way better without him. One of the episodes last week (I've forgotten which one) was an absolute classic too

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Bacon Terrorist posted:

The Joey Barton Keegan thing on the Ramble was good, I came to the Ramble late admittedly but think it has improved slightly after a bit of a dip last season.

Yeah the Ramble has been better this season. I think since they've launched On The Continent they can focus more tightly on the Prem which they're all interested in - Pete and Jim clearly had almost no interest in Serie A and the like so it was just Marcus and Luke blathering on. Replacing the opening question with Going for Glol has definitely helped too

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

That PSG fan they keep having on TFS is loving insufferable

Enjoyed listening to that stats guy on FW, despite the grating American accent (though at least he acknowledged it!). Made me realise as well that their work is almost identical to the sort of stuff I used to do when I worked in market research - could be an intriguing career change for if I ever go back to work

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

I think my problem with it really is that it's just unusual to hear someone completely and unironically waxing lyrical about their team. Aside from Jim Campbell and Arsenal, it feels like most podcasters support smaller or unsuccessful teams and so for someone to just masturbate furiously about their team it's not real interesting to listen to.

Especially since it's loving PSG and their slave-state petrodollars buying the world's best players

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Barry owns, he's simultaneously the old curmudgeon who has absolutely no idea he's the old curmudgeon

Though I realised yesterday that FW hasn't had Jacob Steinberg or that other insufferably boring guy on for quite a while - maybe the reason behind its resurgence?

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Yeah, Phillipe Auclair owns. I just completely skip the Totally show when the PSG supporting guy is on though

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

I really enjoyed his contributions - funny and thoughtful.

Loved the stunned silence as well when Paul Macinness mentioned he was leaving early to have lunch with Jimbo

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Honestly I think the funniest part about the Ramble's charity-sponsored bets is that they come in so rarely, it's almost an advertisement for not gambling. It seems like the listeners have done OK this season, but the strike rate is still probably under 50%. Would be interesting to go back over the whole of last season (or even since they started the preview show) and figure out whether they're up or not. My instinct says probably not.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Bacon Terrorist posted:

FWE won best football pod and Jimbo had to present them with the award :bisonyes:

Please tell me there's footage of this

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The discussion about it on this week's FW was great as well. Also shocked to discover that Elis James is only 37! He sounds ancient and his references are all seriously dated

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The latest FW is absolutely fantastic, it's basically just Max, Barry, Paolo and Lars sitting in the studio getting drunk because they're working on Christmas Eve. Meanwhile Producer Jonathan is apparently pleading with them to stay on topic because he has to edit this poo poo after they've all clocked off :v:

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

And apparently Sid Lowe keeps a bunch of hams in his garage?! I guess it’s probably Iberian jamon which makes a bit more sense, but still

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Simiain posted:

Just popping into say that Phillipe Auclair owns and that FW/E has improved vastly since Jimbo buggered off.

Agreed, Philippe is easily the best infrequent guest on the show. Him, Wilson, Barry and Max this week was basically the perfect pod.

RideTheSpiral posted:

jimbo sucks and his french mate is insufferable

Julien Laurens? Yeah he's loving awful. An unironic PSG fan, let that sink in.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Ninpo posted:

IIRC the only FW frequent guest that does my head in is the "ha ha I'm old and I've never heard of anything and I don't own a TV" guy

Jacob Steinberg? The guy who even managed to turn his story of being in a plane crash into a total snooze fest

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Yeah that was probably the worst segment on FW in a long time, maybe since that weird meltdown Rafa Honigstein had about sacking managers

Barry sounded ready to throttle him by the end of it, and rightly so