Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Nicky Bandini getting the "foot like a traction engine" reference in for the preview pod, you love to see it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

algebra testes posted:

I literally nearly choked at the Baz edit today.

yep that was an incredible piece of edit timing.

almost as good as the sound of a hotel bar in the background while they talked about the Scotland game.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

McFlurry Fan #1 posted:

The Wilson Sunderland nonsense was brilliant.

It absolutely penned Max in and provided a great outro. Love when Wilson goes full Mackem.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Moby_Dick posted:

Phillipe does not disappoint

The way he spat out “Rabiot” was perfect.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Mickolution posted:

Aside from Jimbo, was there anyone of note lost when Totally Football Show split off?

Raphael Honigstein is the only one I can think of offhand, but whether that's a huge loss or not is up to you.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

McFlurry Fan #1 posted:

Barry is so openly hostile about it, it's brilliant. He tends to bring it up any time anyone mentions traitors or betrayal.

I suspect it's partially a bit by now, but still, don't hate seeing it.

webmeister posted:

Macintosh was the driving force behind setting up Totally Football Show, where him and Jimbo left Football Weekly a few days before the start of the season. Max has since said he thinks they were expecting The Guardian to be caught unawares and just license the new show, but instead they drafted Max at the 11th hour and the rest is history.

I don’t know specifically what Baz is referring to but I’d guess FW is stronger than it’s ever been, while TFS has continually struggled.

Max had been the stand-in host for times when AC Jimbo wasn't able to host, and had been a bit too try-hard. Plenty of other known names (Michael Cox, Raphael Horningstein, a few others) also became guests for the TFS side of things as well. The original podcast producer also joined them (and apparently is now working for Apple? good job mate). like you said, The Guardian called their bluff on the whole breakaway thing, but because some star power had left and we were left with over-eager Rushden, it wasn't as clear-cut as it now looks to be.

I *think* Macintosh's media group tried to get this Totally Football Show to be the anchor for a new podcast network, but it seems to be subsumed into The Athletic UK's soccer podcasts by now.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Mickolution posted:

The Paul Merson interview on FW is grim, but a great listen.

Meant to mention it last week. Absolutely some moments where Max has wondered if he could have done more or done something else.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Wilson also with the on-point Big Lebowski reference.

[Edit] “Is that a Super Soaker he’s got as well?!”

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

ZeeBoi posted:

Haha everyone telling Max YEEEESSSSS when he asked if Simeone usually runs off when a game is done.

The episode post-credits moment was fantastic

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Simiain posted:

Troy's alright, he has the ability to challenge the others without being weird about it, which seems to be a rare trait for FW guests

yeah, he's a good addition for this season, along with taking the lumps for Everton's woes in stride.

Max has to be keeping some wild hours between Football Weekly recordings and Champion's League coverage on Australia time.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Mickolution posted:

Lol at that Pulisic email.

which one of you sent that (jokes, folks)

Nah, that’s too unhinged for here. I almost want to mail in to be all “not all USMNT fans”.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

I’m sure Davies would (and has) told the Kroenkes to pound sand as well, I don’t listen to The Tuesday Club anymore but I honestly can’t imagine the players and coaches for City causing them that big a wind-up after that match. A bit unbelievable.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

the long-promised Crypto episode of Football Weekly is up, and no surprise, Philippe Auclair is the one guest with the good takes, including comparing cryptocurrency to digital asbestos.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

L.H.O.O.Q. posted:

Nedum Onuoha is the best addition to FW in ages

Explaining about executing the manager's tactics, even when the players know they won't work, was definitely a good bit added on today. Along with the insight of players caring about where the money is coming from (he didn't play for City for long under the Abu Dhabi group, but experienced the ups and downs of Thaksin Shinawatra).

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Answers Me posted:

You do get the impression that quite a lot of the ‘serious’ football journalists or possibly just the posh ones are genuinely perplexed as to why people enjoy supporting a team, going to matches etc.I guess when your life revolves around it the novelty wears off a little, but still… bit weird.

the same thing can happen to sports writers in the U.S. or elsewhere - when you're working to cover a game, you get there before the regular crowd, you stay later, you have all the stress of doing your job and it just so happens to be in decent seats for a football match. And you can't exactly stand up and join in songs or yell at players like every punter in the regular seats can. Could also partially be burnout with your job being having to think about all sorts of football things every single day, so then looking into something for "your team" feels like doing work when you're off the clock.

But then there are also be cases like Jonathan Wilson, who have become fascinated by the history, sociology, and tactical sides of the sport more so than just going to the game and seeing goals go in for your team, but even he still has plenty of passion for Sunderland or things like the growth of the sport in Africa, etc.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

I’ve still been on Football Weekly, and for general listening I’ve also added the Stadio/Wrighty’s House feed as well.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Bravo, West Ham, they’ve at least won the transfer announcement game this season.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Answers Me posted:

A really good listen. Aside from all the heartbreak, I’m glad Max asked the question I’d always hoped someone would ask Troy: what’s it like having a son who’s absolutely loaded.

That was a great interview but by far the funniest part, some well-needed levity.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Answers Me posted:

I just caught up on about a week’s worth of Football Weekly episodes and Jesus Christ the way Max decides to end one of them. Listener discretion advised. I think it was the Tuesday show.

Biblically accurate description of norovirus.

Max’s own Munich moment, Niki Bandini was the listener stand-in on the pod at that moment.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

algebra testes posted:

Some tremendous top level Bsrney Ronay content. Just pure anti-joy. Utter misery.

“That sounds like over-sharing”

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

algebra testes posted:

Some great "The Gang turns on max" content this week. Lmao.

I thought that was a soft cop-out for the spicy Ange takes by Liew in fairness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

The value in the Football Weekly specials is twofold.

• Yanking the FW podcast itself into having a more diverse set of regular panelists (many who were voices on the racism/sexism/etc eps have become regulars, while we still don’t lack for white dudes most times, so a good change).

• Pushing the discourse in general towards certain topics, and for this specifically I’m thinking about the Qatar 2022 episodes and the recent follow-up.

You’re right, the audience is probably nodding along that whatever topic needs to be improved, but there’s still value.

The Gaza/Israel episode was…I’d say generally good, if only because I don’t hear a ton about football from that part of the world, but man. They had somebody on there parroting Israel’s talking points. That went as described. Not really the best part of the chat. I wonder how they handle the feedback.