Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ICA
Nov 23, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Boo
Legit nothing good about The Game podcast.

Oh wait, Phil Jupitus doesn't host it any more, that's an improvement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ICA
Nov 23, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Boo

Mickolution posted:

Anyone been listening to The Anfield Wrap? I'm pretty close to giving up on it, bit biased even for me.

S'awright. The pure aggressive sign off on episode 2 (can't remember what it was about) was pretty cringe-worthy. Actually, the cake part on ep 1 (I think, or maybe 2) was pretty horrific too.

In sum, great show, thanks.

ICA
Nov 23, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Boo
Alan Davies is a smug wank.

ICA
Nov 23, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Boo

ragle posted:

More Philippe Auclair :colbert:
Always more Philippe Auclair

Ramble's loving nonsense. Smug geezer nonsense.

The foreigners on Football Weekly are excellent, Dr. Sid Lowe too. Barry is great, he seems a very intelligent bloke. He often mentions doing research about small things that others don't bother too. The Sunday Supplement stuff was pretty embarrassing (for the SS guys).

ICA
Nov 23, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Boo

Monday Bandele posted:

I think he's quite amusing and clearly doesn't take anything too seriously. He's also the most entertaining writer on the site, even though he often gets lumped with the most tedious topics to write about.

Ingle with his contextless stats and betting tips is useless though.

Agreed, he strikes the balance well pn the site. Sid Lowe's bizarre La Liga recaps are insane. Rafa's are incredibly dry at times.

Oh yeah, Duarte was the star of the show last night, as per usual.

ICA
Nov 23, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Boo

Hoops posted:

This might come across as stupid thing to say, but I'm always impressed by Auclair, Honigstein and Duarte's eloquence in English. Obviously they're all journalists, but I've never met any non-natives that are so fluent in idioms and able to be as witty and natural in a second language. It doesn't seem like a joke is ever lost on any of them, which is definitely the hardest thing to achieve in language, especially considering the amount of puns in Football Weekly.

Yes, this. Very impressive.

ICA
Nov 23, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Boo

Monday Bandele posted:

Have there ever been any non-native English speaking commentators in England? I can only think of Jan Molby on Radio 5.

Andy Townsend.

ICA
Nov 23, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Boo

jyrka posted:

I mean, it's not impressive that he knew the word because it's one of those words that are pretty much the same in any language.

Cool, ta.

ICA
Nov 23, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Boo
When I could put up with the podcast, the profiles were often the most interesting part. Granted, you'd get some guy you'd not heard of but those usually turned out to be worth a listen, and if not, ah well, switch it off.

ICA
Nov 23, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Boo
God, listened to The Anfield Wrap's opinion of the Suarez/Evra accusations. Not an ounce of objectivity. Calling the allegations (almost) racist against Suarez... Awful stuff. Every time I listen to this, I hate it. After a few weeks, I try again, but no. Shite.

ICA
Nov 23, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Boo
I love Suarez, his handball thing - I can understand but him biting that guy was disgusting. The Anfield Wrap, "well, that's just funny!" Oh gently caress off. Are you dealing with the situation with respect or taking the piss?

ICA
Nov 23, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Boo

MoPZiG posted:

you guys should start your own 'sensible scouser' pod then.

Good point, well made.

Twat.

ICA
Nov 23, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Boo
Had no idea there was one on Sat. Found today's reference to an audience strange. You think they'd have advertised it, they normally do months in advanced.

I actually hate the live ones, and the video ones. Stupid gimmicks.

Also, hate Rob Smyth, the snivelling, stuttering weasel. He's a oval office but him bring up the assault on Glendenning was poor. I realize Barry would laugh it off and all but it just galled me a little for him to shoehorn the story in.

ICA
Nov 23, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Boo
What's the craic with this Alan Davies oval office going on about Hillsborough?

ICA
Nov 23, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Boo

ragle posted:

Don't listen to The Football Ramble unless you are English in my experience because its predominantly a bunch of jackoffs lolzing each other.

Absolutely spot on!

Also, agree with the person above, when Football Weekly go on about the Premier League, it's boring as poo poo.

ICA
Nov 23, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Boo
Sid is what everyone stereotypically hates about London based football. Snidey shite, odds, snivelling "Well, I said" crap"... blah blah. gently caress all insight. Give me Auclair, Honegstein, Duarte, Bandini. We KNOW about the loving premier league. And don't get that Ewan oval office involved in the Scottish issues, oval office knows gently caress all.

ICA
Nov 23, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Boo
Fuckin hate Audible and their shite adverts.

ICA
Nov 23, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Boo

The Mash posted:

He's totally correct. There's three possible outcomes of the match on monday, two of them result in United winning the title. That's a two thirds chance!

Absolute nonsense, obviously.

ICA
Nov 23, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Boo
Yeah they've been ok but the matches have been very, very good. Almost every one, aside from France-England (which was interesting because of who was involved) has been good entertaining.

ICA
Nov 23, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Boo
I'm leaving it.

ICA
Nov 23, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Boo
Wee Scott Murray's been embarrassing every time he commented on Spain. Cringeworthy shite.

ICA
Nov 23, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Boo
The Pod (Guardian) is getting too stupid. Really starting to appeal to the idiot majority (missing James' jokes, the quick cuts to idiots who happen to be in Kiev etc.)

I listened to Guillem & Gabrielle's Game podcast today. Marvellous. Both just really happy their country had made it to the final and confident they were going to win. I never listen to The Game podcast because I have ears but this was really worth listening to, 20 mins, good preview for the final.

ICA
Nov 23, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Boo
Oh yeah, another reason why the Pod is shite; paying credence to their idiot posters. loving, HappyGoth and those idiots. Why listen to their suggestions for best footballers who sound like pies? Honestly, ridiculous.

ICA
Nov 23, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Boo
There's a lot of Worst Guys, mostly the UK based, eh, English ones. Greg Roughly (Bakowski) and AC Jimbo are about the only decent English guys I can think of off the top of my head. Sid Lowe too but he doesn't really count. More foreigners please! Duarte, Baz, Rafa, Leander etc.

ICA
Nov 23, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Boo
How can you mispronounce "Ramos"?

ICA
Nov 23, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Boo
So avoid them.

ICA
Nov 23, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Boo
She's a fuckin thick boot.

ICA
Nov 23, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Boo
The stand-ins are shite.

And it's not really a free podcast; it's a Guardian podcast, with a shitey advert at the start and the end.

Sid is great, by the way. Glad to hear anything but EPL shite.

Rangers go out of business and Celtic qualify for the Champions' League but do these idiots mention it? No, they're more interested in QPR's signings. Ridiculous.

The pod is only worth bothering with when they don't discus English football.

Here's a Glasgow based podcast you may like, it's in the vein of Football Ramble but not anywhere near as annoying - The Full Jairzinho (http://thefulljairzinho.podomatic.com/).

ICA
Nov 23, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Boo

jyrka posted:

Why should they talk about the SPL? They barely ever mention the leagues in Cyprus and USA too.

Eh?

How many Cypriots or Americans listen, compare to Scottish people?

There are a lot of Scottish players and managers doing well in England right now.

In fact, what the gently caress are you even on? Scotland has one of the biggest stories of sporting corruption in our lifetime and you're questioning why they would mention it?! gently caress off.

ICA
Nov 23, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Boo

hadji murad posted:

They have 4 people who are quality and the rest will spin a ridiculous "crisis" or "overrated" story at the drop of a hat just to look like they are one step ahead, but only look stupid.

Unless that has changed, I wouldn't bother with it. It is almost as bad as the TRP Transfer thread for wrong.

Aye, liked Jimbo's assertation that Liverpool are on the cusp of something special. Not often do you get him saying something like that. Liked it.

ICA
Nov 23, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Boo

jyrka posted:

I imagine a lot more Americans listen to it than Scots.

Also calling whatever happened "one of the biggest stories of sporting corruption in our lifetime" is being pretty loving kind to 100s of other cases of corruption in sports. I think your geographic proximity to the situation is clouding your ability to see it fairly.

But keep raging I guess if you're that desperate to hear people who don't know/care about Glasgow Rangers talk about Glasgow Rangers to an audience made of 99% people who don't know/care about Glasgow Rangers.

Name me 3 cases that come close to Rangers'.

ICA
Nov 23, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Boo
(I mean there's a few things I could argue, with that idiot's post, but we'll start with that).

ICA
Nov 23, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Boo

Modus Trollens posted:

T
I like when Sid Lowe drops an obscure fact about some mid table La Liga club and its cool for a minute and then you forget it by the next section

Judging by his stories, there's plenty to talk about outwith the big two. He normally finds an interesting angle for his recaps even when both Barca and Real pulverize their opponents.

ICA
Nov 23, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Boo

Hoops posted:

Of sporting corruption? Really?

That's an insane argument, Rangers barely even qualifies as corruption, it was tax evasion and terrible financial management.

[edit]For the record I'm not arguing with the scale of it being A Huge Huge Deal in international football, just that it's not even on the radar in terms of "corruption".

Ok, name me 3 cases in football on par with Rangers decade long financial doping?

I mean, gently caress off anyway because yer being disingenuous, but there you are, with your new terms.

As IF I wasn't talking about football cases, by the way, in a football thread in a football thread.

Actually, name me 3 on par in sports in general (as we'll look at how they were covered, in comparison to Rangers).

Thick bastard.

ICA
Nov 23, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Boo

jyrka posted:

Unless you were born on the morning of the day Rangers did whatever they did and then died later that night, it's not the biggest sports corruption story of your lifetime.

Check out all the cool match fixing in Italy, Turkey, Greece and most of Eastern Europe for real corruption with people going to jail and receiving lifetime bans from soccer and so on. This thing Rangers did(I still don't know what it was, I thought they did some tax dodging but apparently there was some corruption beyond all measure, I wish they talked about it on Football Weekly) is about as notable as the rest of Scottish football.

Cool, those facts, they reassure me.

Anyway, when you've finished your sporting corruption dissertation, point me in the way of situations where 10+ years of financial doping occurred, thanks!!

ICA
Nov 23, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Boo

Hoops posted:

Rangers barely even qualifies as corruption, it was tax evasion

This is brutal, btw.

ICA
Nov 23, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Boo
I'm Scotch.

ICA
Nov 23, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Boo
Stop bothering us.

ICA
Nov 23, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Boo
Love it when the football being discussed bores Jimbo, like the last ten mins of this week's Extra. His comment about the Depeche Mode singer being "off the smack" nearly made me burst out laughing in the supermarker. Amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ICA
Nov 23, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Boo
Terrible episode. Funny footballers' names!!! Hilarious.