Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
I enjoy the football ramble as they try to keep things pretty neutral and simply football orientated. They also all come across as actual fans.

The guardian and times casts are ok but they often stray into the talksport thing of trolling a specific set of fans to try and drum up traffic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

kri kri posted:

Post + avatar

I just saw a video of barry glendenning today and it was just frightening. I always figured he was a 60 year old obese man.

Ha ha yeah. His face doesn't fit his voice/personality at all.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
You should hear Americans trying to pronounce Leicester, that's even worse. :D

Any way St Pauli's sausage train on the football ramble sounds fantastic!

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

The sausage train I was talking about earlier, the bundesliga is the best league in europe. :cheers:

http://www.metro.co.uk/sport/oddballs/842621-hot-dog-train-attracting-new-fans-to-fc-st-pauli

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
Cock on ball is back after a massive break for any spurs fans interested.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

ICA posted:

Jesus Christ, guys.

That 100% was sid. He was in the studio once before and he sounds totally different, but it is him.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

ICA posted:

Told you.

:blush: I was fooled.

e - Also jimbo was on fire today with his tasteless jokes. The bit about the yellow card being 'heart less" etc.

Jippa fucked around with this message at 11:54 on Oct 29, 2010

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
Football ramble was good again. I like the comment about the best defenders having clean shorts as well as clean sheets.

Does any one remember what espn programme it is that luke was on? They have a load of football things that I never watch.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

ICA posted:

The Ramble is really starting to grate. Am I alone in this?

I only started to listen this season so I really enjoy it still. What about don't you like?

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
About what specifically? I always thought they kept relatively neutral (club and country) but again I've only been listening for short while.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
Last two rambles have been great. I enjoyed this week's profile.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
Heads up for any spurs fans, try:

http://www.cockonball.com/podcast.php

They are back doing regular shows and are easily the best I've heard (for a club specific podcast).

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
Great ramble again, I approve of singing players names to the Jurassic Park theme.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

ICA posted:

Ramble's become too wacky for me recently.

In what way? I think it's a perfect mix of joking around and actual football knowledge.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
Fair enough, horses for courses and all that.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
- Love the way they describe Hargreaves as an 'ironic' signing on the football ramble.

- You can download an audio version of sky's sunday supplement which is just a load of journos chatting.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

hadji murad posted:

I love it every time they have Fernando Duarte on.

And the glold section where they had to say "up" with rising inflection was quite funny I thought.

His joke was wahjah.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
If he was on every week it would old very quickly.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
Everyone loves him. :)

http://www.football365.com/faves/7268393/TV-Heroes

Football, on the pitch and in the media, tends to be an alpha male world. By-the-lads-for-the-lads is the usual approach and in this environment, intelligence and wit are usually turned away at the door as an unwanted educated guest to the party. On your way, Poindexter: men are talking and grabbing each other's knees.

However, one man has stood out against this, and he is our latest TV Hero. Step forward AC Jimbo, known to his mother as James Richardson.

Back in 1992 regular football on TV was less than 30 years old and had been pretty much unchanged since its inception. So when Channel 4 began to show coverage of Serie A games on a Sunday afternoon, it was a surprising, revolutionary and most welcome cultural development. Odder still, given the traditional insularity of British football, it pulled in up to three million viewers. While "the lads" didn't keep their interest beyond Paul Gascoigne's involvement in proceedings, it was the quality of the programmes as much as the football that kept us dedicated fans coming back for more.

Fronting the shows was our man James Richardson. But this was no ordinary man-behind-a-desk-talking-in-clichés football presenter. Here was a man introducing the game from a cafe bathed in sunshine sipping an espresso or sitting in front of an unfeasibly large gelato. He'd look through the papers and bring us up to date with the Italian football news in an informal, chummy style.

There'd be relaxed and informed chat without any of the teeth-clenching mugging to the camera or clumsy "I don't really talk like this but this is how they taught me to do it at presenting school," style that is the stock in trade of many football presenters.

Here was a man who could translate the press for us and talk knowledgeably about the players and he could do it in a manner which treated the viewers, not as a drooling window-licker, but as a sentient, intelligent human.

He was amusing, self-deprecating but well-informed, culturally sophisticated and yet with a clear love of the game. This is an all-too-rare skillset in football TV presenting.

One of the biggest compliments we can pay him is that he did Football Italia as though he was fronting up a media, cultural or travel show rather than a football programme. With Jimbo, football seemed a part of life rather than a closed world away from it.

(If we may digress, it seems to us that a lot of football's nastiest idiocy - hooliganism, terrace racism, chanting that you hope a man's child dies of cancer, getting absurdly irate and vicious because someone on the internet doesn't share your opinion - is a result of people being encouraged to think of football as existing in a bubble, and thus being a space where behaviour that would be utterly unthinkable in other parts of life is accepted. Anyway. We liked that Football Italia hinted at a bigger picture.)

Ten years doing Italian football for Channel 4 flew by and we always hoped to see Jimbo installed in more high profile TV roles but for no reason we can discern, lesser, more annoying, more stupid and more unpleasant men got good jobs instead of him.

We loved his work on Setanta and hoped he would be a fixture on ESPN but no such gig has materialised. Earlier this year, he did get a BBC job, it should have been on Match Of The Day, but of course, it wasn't. He presents Late Kick Off in the South. But this is at least progress and we hope it represents him getting his feet under the BBC table for a tilt at the big jobs at a later date.

But our main hit of Richardson is on the Guardian's Football Weekly podcasts which are funny, informative and entertaining and probably the best of the genre. It's also worth catching his European papers round-up on Fridays in an echo of those Football Italia glory days.

His style has not changed. Calm, almost laid-back on screen but nonetheless well-prepared and well-read - which we reckon is a much tougher trick than it looks. Perhaps he is too middle-class for the TV directors and execs who assume football is only watched by mentally undernourished underclass men from behind ten pints of wife-beater.

If so they should revise this outmoded view because FHM readers, surely not all progressive feminist intellectuals, voted him Best Pundit of 2010. The football world may be ready for more AC Jimbo and we would welcome it very much.

John Nicholson and Alan Tyers

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
I really enjoyed the football ramble today, good puns.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
"Football is like chess with out the dice."

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
The latest football weekly with barney ronay and his terrible opinions having a smug off about law firms with the new guy was terrible.

I genuinely like it most weeks but those two are awful. Glendenning seemed pretty bemused by the whole thing.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
Isn't amy a liverpool fan? I think she's good. Any way I actually think the rest of them are all generally good it's just ronay and that other guy who are annoying.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

Ah fair enough. I remember she used to be on the times podcast if any one remembers that (with marcotti)?

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

Mickolution posted:

That's Alison Rudd, she's a Liverpool fan.

:doh: Well there you go.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
QPR guy was funny. I appreciate he must be making GBS threads it over the crazy spending.

Also you have to love jonathon wilson

:swoon:

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
Listening to the sunday supplement there is no love lost for strachan is there, that was pretty funny.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
Ronay is back with more hilarity. "Listen to my working class accent". Top stuff.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
Enjoyed the ramble this week. I will be looking forward to more from "david brenton rodgers".

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
Isn't it like saying "merseyside"?

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

Bobby Digital posted:

It's like calling Arsenal Stadium 'Highbury'.

Oh I see.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
There is nothing wrong with that. Loads of people refer to an area when saying "is xxx on his way too merseyside" or what ever.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
The phone is the worst thing for communication (ironically). I can never have proper conversations on it.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
The ramble was hilarious this week, I was pissing myself at the di canio bit. I didn't realise he broke in.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
There was no profile in my itunes episode, it cut off halfway through pete's game.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
Yeah I would have liked to hear about how the spanish press had reacted. Fair play to rafa for being chuffed about the situation though.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
e - woops

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
The ramble is excellent, I really enjoy it. Football weekly can be really good with the right people but it also can just be ok with other people.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
The problem with the game is it's just marcotti using the same shtick he used a decade ago on talksport which is just shouting ridiculously hyperbolic questions then waiting for bored sounding people to calmly rely to him.

It was boring back then but it's really grating now. They should get some one different to host and just have him as a pundit (which he is decent at).

Also having people on the phone for large parts of it really kills any sort of conversation or flow. It all seems really cobbled together.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
The story about the nigerian match fixing was amazing.