Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!

The Perfect Element posted:

Are there still gonna 2x episodes of football weekly each week? Now that jimbo and iain have their identikit show I think 3+ hours of guardianista football chat per week might be a bit much.

julian assflange posted:

Hang on so two football podcasts that appear on the same day talk about similar topics?

Obviously late to the party on this but wow. They are the exact same loving podcast. It's the podcast equivalent of opening a starbucks across the street from a starbucks. Same length, same pacing, same talking points, even some of the same guests. I don't know why or how the split happened but "the totally football show" should probably do something to differentiate itself because it feels super rehashed. As it stands I'll probably just listen to football weekly. James is probably a better host but Barry is a better guest and Iain is pretty insufferable. At least I think it's Iain that is, I don't follow the show regularly enough. He's the one that tries to hard to sound intellectual and interjects politics randomly into subjects right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Iain was the moron saying it was xenophobic to make fun of the Chinese transfer fees and quality of the league which is a massive leap in logic and then like two weeks later Sascha came on saying he had watched a bunch of Chinese League matches on tv and the play was even worse than he imagined and that the keeping was worse yet. Something like "everyone stands around waiting for an overpaid Brazilian to do something" lol

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

FW gives me British ads, TFS give me targeted ads

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

blue footed boobie posted:

I've finally listened to a couple episodes of Totally Football, and I can't put my finger on why, but it just seems like a boring version of the old Football Weekly. Doesn't seem like Jimbo's heart is in it.

It seems like both shows have shifted consciously in opposite directions. FW towards more humor, off topic talk, everyman takes on events while FW is trying to be more serious. Though I think even FW is handling the serious chat better as well.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Is it me or are basically all the French pundits on these shows insufferable

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

TFS needs to figure out what it wants to be. Right now its a clearly (imo) second rate FW. I knew the two podcasts would cover the same stories naturally but their formatting and coverage are drat near identical. The EPL "narrative" is of course going to be narrow each week and the global football narrative compacted into twenty minutes even more so but the two shows sound like clones of each other. The only real difference is FW leaned a bit more into "football man/lad" territory while TFS is snarkier and talks about social issues and the like. Personally I'd rather hear barry's take on XG than Iain Macintosh talk about the Catalonia independence movement or whatever. TFS having Jules on as a recurring guest is the absolute worst decision possible as well.

The European football show is probably my favorite podcast overall. It beats the others in presentation and content (for me). Since I listen to that I have zero reason the listen to two pl centric shows on top of that so I'm dropping TFS for the time being.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

I like jim but I feel like at times the show was more about who could set up a bad witticism or roll their eyes at a tired talking point best when he was the host. It gave the show a weird vibe like they were in some sort of bubble. I'm aware people listen partially for the chat about who had what for breakfast and favorite serie a team songs and what have you but it felt like the old podcast was pretending to be straighforward while indulging in that. That's why I've said before that the european football show is my favorite football podcast. They actually discuss football without seeming like they hate it while being inquisitive and to the point. It's definitely drier than the two clone shows but it's certainly more informative.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

I saw a picture of Barry awhile back and it was a big mistake. I thought he would've looked like a more rugged and weary jimbo

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

AttitudeAdjuster posted:

Barney Ronay is seriously grumpy about Spurs on FW this week.

Is he a spurs fan? That was hard to listen to

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ronay completely handwaving away the concept of a team having a fragile mentality as witchcraft voodoo nonsense was a really embarrassing argument technique. Teams and generally any organization that isn't extremely transient develop cultures and bottlers or chokers have existed in basically every sport that I can think of. He also tried to handwave away the fact that ex players have acknowledged the feeling as punditry brainwashing which was really weird. I think teams being bottlers or fragile can be abused as a talking point and a poor way of summing up the entirety of a situation but in his attempt to tap into that idea he just got really pissy and stubborn and threw logic out the window.

Also wasn't Rafa's meltdown over firing Ranieri? That was one of the weirdest cases where I felt completely out of step with most pundits. Everyone was banging on about how they had to let Claudio sink Leicester because the story was too good. Really strange.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Mickolution posted:

He was being deliberately contrarian, but he wasn't wrong.

He said that the concept of a culture/mentality in an organization is a witchcraft concept. That's indefensibly wrong

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

webmeister posted:

Remember that time Rafa Honigstein had a weird-rear end meltdown about teams constantly changing managers and then not getting invited back on the pod for a year

Good times

Was that during the period where they were all saying the only right thing was for Leicester to go down with Ranieri rather than save themselves with a manager change? That I think was the time the pod was as a collective its dumbest about a football related topic.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

The Argentine woman with the cartoonish English accent is really bad.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Is the European football show no longer a thing?

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

One of the most pathetic feuds lol

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

blue footed boobie posted:

Anyone listened to Peter Crouch’s podcast? I’ve seen that it’s supposed to be funny.

Just started listening today. I'm only about 20 mins into the England ep and I can already tell I'll really enjoy this. The Prince Harry bit at the beginning is great.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

The Peter crouch podcast is good

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Also Johnny Nicholson (or however you spell it) was a terrible guest on Football Weekly. A chore to listen to.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Jimbo is a good presenter but not really a great "personality". Having a personality is better for longform casual media like a podcast imo. Listening to Jimbo he felt robotic at times, like he never really actually shared any personal insights or opinions, he was just there to steer conversation.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Monday Bandele posted:

congrats Paul Doyle for being the last person to stick with the 'Messi is overrated' narrative in 2019

It was some of the worst contrarianism I've ever heard.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

The peter crouch podcast bit about "fast dad" this week was hilarious.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

An hour of epl transfer gossip

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Jippa posted:

Lars is fine you idiots.

He's bad

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

The Perfect Element posted:

Monday’s line up is the best. Wilson, Ronay, Glendinning. Maybe Auclair would be a good addition, but otherwise it’s pretty much spot on. As ever, gently caress Lars.

Did you listen? It was brutal.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Crouch doing impressions of players from various european countries getting tackled is one of the best bits of football podcasting ever. Starts at about 30m 30s in this weeks episode.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

He's always been terrible and is stealing a living

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Andy Brassell is the best football podcaster

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

The parched reveal episode on the Peter crouch podcast is must listen.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

I stop listening when football stopped.... what have the podcasts been doing this entire time and how bad is it.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Don't sign your posts

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Answers Me posted:

What’s The Football Ramble like these days? I trailed off not long after they switched to the rotating lineup, but I might give it another go for the Euros

It's good as long as you skip any episode that involves Pete. Harry Redknapp's new pod is decently entertaining btw.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

I like elis on FW and decided to check out his bbc pod because of it. I like it a lot even if it's only tangentially related to football and sport.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Just out of curiosity, how is the totally football show doing? It seemed like a dud on arrival and also to have no footprint in the wider media landscape.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Answers Me posted:

Yeah Liew is incredibly annoying. He does that thing a lot of people who aren’t as smart as they think they are do, whereby in an effort to show they’ve thought about something more thoughtfully than everybody else, he ties himself up in knots with incredibly dumb takes. He’s basically as bad as Jordan J-B, but nobody notices because he’s more pretentious about it.

Liew ranting on Ange was the worst segment in a long time. Classic English cynicism unable to handle anyone genuinely upbeat followed by him realizing he's joining the contrarian anti-ange wave thats en vouge so he has to come up with reasons why. I don't know how someone who is a football journalist comes out with the take that there's a handful of managers who use tactics and the rest are "vibesmen". Really embarrassing stuff