Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Weavered
Jun 23, 2013

julian assflange posted:

Paul Doyle’s take on Messi was really weird, almost outdated.

And wrong. Everyone knows the official take is that Messi is the born with great skill one who doesn’t train. Ronaldo is the crap player who is only good because of his great work ethic and training. For proof look at their physique; Ronaldo is a athlete and Messi looks like he should be working in a cinema.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weavered
Jun 23, 2013

I’m fine with the women’s football chat but the ranting about inequity with the men’s game was very insufferable. Who would have expected female Somali footballers to have a worse experience than footballers in the men’s Premier League?!?

Weavered
Jun 23, 2013

Bundy posted:

Yeah who woulda thunk it. :thunk:

How tiresome for you. What a burden. Awww.

I've no problem with women, but...

I've no problem with blacks, but...

I've no problem with Jews, but...

I've no problem with Muslims, but...

gently caress you.

Wow nice loving meltdown.

Did actually read my post you quoted or listen to the podcast?

Weavered
Jun 23, 2013

oliwan posted:

Yeah wow. Thinking about equality between the sexes AND the races? Ugh, just insufferable

Name a female Somalian player? The men’s Premier League, the most watched league in the world has more money. How is this so hard to understand. If you don’t like it, stop being a dick and try going to a match and putting some money in the game.

Weavered
Jun 23, 2013

Bundy posted:

Tbh I'm more surprised at it making the edit. I found him to be incredibly tone deaf and unnecessary.

This really.

Obviously there’s little actual football chat but hearing from journalists living in Spain and Italy is really interesting.

I am sick of hearing them prefacing everything with how unimportant football is all the time too. They’re on a football podcast, I’ve had to actively seek them out to listen to them they don’t need to apologise all the time like they’re on prime time tv.

Weavered
Jun 23, 2013

Mickolution posted:

The interview ones never appealed to me at all. I've seen a few people say they pick and choose which ones they keep up with, too. I wonder what the ratings are for the newer ones.

Only listened to a few but ironically the most interesting one was the episode with Max that covers him replacing Jimbo and the build up to that.

Weavered
Jun 23, 2013

I remember enjoying Behind the Curtain. I’m remembering a comical and interesting travelogue and football history book centring around Yugoslavia, Romania and Hungary.

Like a lot of Wilson’s books it’s one of the chapters from Inverting the Pyramid but more - so if you enjoyed the Eastern Europe part of that you’ll enjoy this.

Weavered
Jun 23, 2013

Football Podcasts - Maybe I should cheer up

Weavered
Jun 23, 2013

I thought podcast chat was refreshing instead of all the nonstop chat about about COVID in football. Took me back to the halcyon days of normal life, going out and when people used to talk themselves in circles about Brexit non-stop instead.

Weavered
Jun 23, 2013

My fave thing about Jordan Jarret Bryan is how in his two previous pods he stated - without irony - that the best pundits don’t take themselves too seriously and how the worst cling onto the old cliches and need to actually pay attention and follow what is happening in football.

This from a guy who came onto the Xmas special to announce that he doesn’t celebrate Christmas because he doesn’t have kids so what’s the point and still thinks Arsenal are a top club.

Weavered
Jun 23, 2013

The football ramble has Rushden in for an interview one episode and he details his point of view about what happened. He might be overselling but he does make it sound like it was Barry staying that kept FW going in house with the Guardian.

Weavered
Jun 23, 2013

Here’s a link, it was from two years ago so my memory may have oversold Barry’s importance?

https://podcasts.apple.com/gb/podcast/football-ramble/id254078311?i=1000439019104

Weavered
Jun 23, 2013

I think Rushden calling him out on his Villa hate is the first time I’ve ever actually heard him press someone on anything - apart from being mean to Barry every time he’s on. It’s almost like he’s a journalist!

Weavered
Jun 23, 2013

The Perfect Element posted:

John Barnes interview was pretty intense. Barry came off as weirdly rude on his first question, and then basically didn't speak again for the rest of the podcast lol

After Max mentioned in the intro about all the conflict in the pod I was a bit underwhelmed as that was the only real conflict in the pod. He did say that they chatted for an hour at the end of a 45mim pod, so I like to think that Barry and John Barnes had a raging 15minute tirade at each other that was cut out.

Weavered
Jun 23, 2013

I mean Barney isn’t the first and certainly won’t be the last journo/pundit to come out with some stupid ‘hot tales’. But whoever decided that this needed 10mins or so debate and discussion about it and giving it precedence over actual football was a pretty big hot take in the pod today.

Weavered
Jun 23, 2013

Answers Me posted:

I was thinking about my top tier lineup - Rushden, Barry, Wilson, Auclair - and it made me think: is it me or has Philippe not been on for a while? I hope he’s not been shuffled off or is otherwise engaged

Wilson and Auclair are easy top tier, they’re just interesting to listen to and are clearly passionate about what they talk about. It doesn’t sound a lot but most of them are rarely both.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weavered
Jun 23, 2013

nawilo_420 posted:

yeah it's pretty transparent lol

I really don't understand why they keep inviting him. is there a contract or something?

It's not just personal preference, he just really sticks out like a sore thumb whenever he's there, he's so loving cringe and its so obvious that he's not on the level of the other people who are on that podcast.

Laziness and apathy. Compare to how they reported the Vinicius Junior racism this week to the Totally Football Show. FW has Max give just the headline about the monkey chants before he reads out Twitter posts from Vinicius, La Liga and others then they all agree that Spain is racist compared to the rest of Europe, before he does the “we’re all bad so what can you do” routine. They don’t even bother to get Sid Lowe on.

Whereas TFS describes the abuse he gets in the game, Vinicius’s sending off and has Jimbo questioning Romero about why La Liga is so limp. La Liga is called out as in the wrong along with Valencia without reading out a single Twitter Post (as far as I can tell anyway).