Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
Football Weekly was excellent yesterday with Jonathan Wilson and Barry Glendenning being back. Much better than the dross that was on Thursday's.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
I really liked the French guy they had on too, though better sounding Sid Lowe was bizarre.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe

Mickolution posted:

Been listening to The Football Ramble the past couple of weeks. It's good, if a little "laddish". Hopefully I can get over that. What I was wondering is, who are these guys? Are they just fans who've decided to make a podcast or are they journalists or what?

I enjoy The Football Ramble a lot because it's more generally about football, rather than just "what happened in the Premiership this week".

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
I'd like Philippe Auclair to be on Football Weekly every time, I think he's consistently the most perceptive, interesting and well-connected guest they have.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
Him and Raphael Honigstein are by far the best people that come on. They have figured out that being a decent football journalist means having good contacts and an appreciation of tactics, which most of the others don't seem to have realised.

I quite like Gregg Roughley when he's on too though.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
Anyone got any favourites other than the Ramble I can listen to while Football Weekly is off air?

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe

Lot 49 posted:

Don't know if it's because I'm bored of the same jokes every single episode or because going for glold has exposed them as being considerably less knowledgeable than I thought they were.

Most of the hints given in that section are pretty drat obscure - especially starting with no reference points like the time period or player nationality.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
Barney Ronay is awful and it's painful listening to Jimbo not giving into temptation to call him an idiot every time he's on.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
I thought Philipe Auclair's comments on Arshavin were interesting on Football Weekly - basically going against prevailing wisdom and saying that the problem isn't him, but that the rest of the team are too poo poo to play with him.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
The problem I find with Football Weekly (and why I think the foreign journos often come off better) is that it's boring when they're talking about the Premier League. I don't know if that's entirely their fault - it's just not a very good medium for adding anything really insightful beyond "that was a good game".

The interesting parts are when they talk about leagues outside the Premiership (even if it's just the Championship) and can talk more generally about what's going on, and what their thoughts are about how things are shaking out. Jimbo's Serie A round-ups are brilliant, and even Sid Lowe can be great when he isn't sucking off Barcelona.

Also, Sean Ingle and that twat QPR fan being kept well away always improves things.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
"Speaking of playing Toulouse, why don't we move on to Italy?"

Jimbo :allears:

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
Football Weekly is pretty hilariously bad tempered today. Even Jimbo gets tetchy.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
I like The Game when that Scouse guy isn't on it. When he is I find it unlistenable.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
Football Weekly is increasingly annoying.

On Thursday they had a panel that couldn't find a single word to say to preview any match not featuring one of the top four. Yesterday's panel of 3 expert journalists discussing the weekend's action hadn't even managed to watch Match of the Day.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
Pedro Pinto is a bit of a wanker tbh

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
It was pretty poor, but I like Jacob Steinberg - he's at least generally able to talk about things in English football other than the top five or six clubs.

The Game was even worse, just because Tony Evans is such an unbearable twat.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
Daniel Harris is terrible. It was quite good that Barney Ronay was on as someone willing to call him out on spouting cliched poo poo.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
Even the profile was good. That segment is okay when they're talking about players they actually saw and know well.

I also enjoyed the moment in Football Weekly when they remembered John Terry for their "most disliked player" discussion.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
I really enjoyed the Ramble's profile of Fantasy Football League.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
The Ramble's love letter profile of David Beckham is excellent this week. It's a good reminder that he actually was a very talented player.

When it's a player they've seen and know well, that segment can be really good.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
Yeah, The Game is unlistenable when Tony Evans is on.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
So who are the other four players to play in England and Italy? Ian Rush jumped to mind straight away.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
Yeah sorry, English players. They had Ince, Gazza, Platt, Des Walker, Daniel Dichio, Lee Sharpe and David Beckham, and there's 12 total.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
I did an embarrassing crowded train laugh at Pete's "I don't think there's a violin small enough" comment.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe

Mickolution posted:

Yeah, that's what I mean. Just because Milan are going through a rough spot doesn't mean they're not a big team. He was saying a player he seemed to know nothing about was poo poo because Milan and Liverpool were interested in him.

It was obviously just a joke.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
I had to check if the extract from Garth Crooks's team of the week they read out on the Ramble was real.

Garth Crooks posted:

FORWARD - WAYNE ROONEY (Man Utd)

I was speaking to my uncle Ben on Saturday and said that Aaron Ramsey was almost certain to be the unanimous choice for footballer of the year. He took the glass of champagne out of my hand and said: 'You mean Wayne Rooney, don't you?' I told him that he had made a very good point and promptly went home.

What the gently caress?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/25179631

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
All the stuff about Fulham had me laughing to myself like a crazy person on the tube.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
I did a proper lol at Pete's Robbie Savage/Take That impression.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
It was redeemed by the "is one Giggs sufficient to upgrade their drive?" and Salah Ba jokes.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
Pete Donaldson's ranting about Pardew from this week's normal episode is worth £2 on its own.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
I guess you'd need to start with a Grantland article explaining which team is the Premier League equivalent of the Seahawks

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
The opening question stuff on the Ramble is getting properly dire. I think they need to retire it alongside the Dean Windass Hall of Fame.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
Based on today's episode they seem to have ditched the opening question thankfully.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
I still enjoy the Ramble because they're quite funny and it tends to be a bit different. Less "it wasn't a penalty for me Clive" and more references to Alan Pardew and poo poo 90s footballers.

And I can feel smug about getting going for glold before them .

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
Barry throwing some excellent shade at Russia and Spain’s remarkable ability to peak for summer tournaments on Football Weekly today.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
I'm greatly enjoying Max and Barry gradually going mad.

I've begun listening to TFS during the World Cup and it's really kind of rubbish. 90% of the guests are just utterly bland nobodies.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
The Ramble is always by far the best podcast for talking about England.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe

algebra testes posted:

I maybe wrong, I love listening to FW every day but if I haven't seen the game I feel like I am none the wiser after listening to the pod except if someone dived or got hit in the nads.

At this point, World Cup FW is about listening to Max and Barry squabble as they descend into madness rather than to actually learn anything about football.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
That came up in my feed and I immediately deleted it.

Though I'd listen if they let Pete do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
No, on international breaks I make sure to listen to the Ramble and don't bother with any of the other podcasts.

I like that they've always taken international football seriously and they're capable of talking about England without all the weird snarky hang-ups that the other podcasts have.