Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards

Cjones posted:

If you're referring to a certain Portuguese fellow then yeah, it's still a stupid idea. Where would he go? Livahpool?

No, I'm referring to Ince, Beckham, Stam...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

ICA posted:

I hate these experiments. None have been worthwhile (live, video). The Pod is excellent, don't gently caress with it.

Couldn't agree more.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Listened to the live one earlier. What was the point of that?

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Sid Lowe was fairly talking out of his hole on Thursday.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Been listening to The Football Ramble the past couple of weeks. It's good, if a little "laddish". Hopefully I can get over that. What I was wondering is, who are these guys? Are they just fans who've decided to make a podcast or are they journalists or what?

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Never noticed but I'm sure I won't be unable to now! I like Marcotti though. I don't always agree with him, but he's at least got a bit of personality about him. Don't really like Paddy Barclay though.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

It's ok, I'm sure I'll forget by next Monday :)

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

peanut- posted:

I enjoy The Football Ramble a lot because it's more generally about football, rather than just "what happened in the Premiership this week".

Yeah, I like that aspect of it. There seems to be a few "in jokes" I don't really get yet and I'm sure I can look passed the laddish elements. I'm enjoying it thus far and it might replace Soccernet for me as that's a little dry and rarely offers anything that isn't covered better in Football Weekly or The Game.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Those people who posted on the Football Weekly message board about Max Rushden are moron fanboys. Actually, pretty much everyone who posts on that seems to be some sort of retard.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Yeah, he was fine. They're all so loving precious about a free podcast.

I'm convinced everyone who posts on there just does so in the hope of getting their post read out rather than to engage in any kind of discussion. I know someone who does post there and has gotten something read out a few times and he's told me how much he dislikes others on there because of how often they get stuff onto the pod.

loving fanboys.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

ICA posted:

tbf they often take the piss out of their own shoddy research.

Yeah, they always make fun of each other for over/under preparing.

One problem with Rushden is that he acted a little like one of the panal rather than the presenter but I guess that's down to him not being used to presenting a show like this.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Absolutely. I wasn't having a go, just pointing out how difficult a job it is to present something like that.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Sent an email to the Ramble yesterday. Is it hypocritical that I hope it gets read out considering what I was saying about the Football Weekly fanboys earlier in the thread?

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Yeah, what annoys me is that most of the people seem to only post so they'll get it read out. What I sent was a great story about Dixie Dean that they didn't mention in the profile.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

The only one I know that goes through the Summer is the Soccernet one, but it's not great. It's very dry compared to the likes of The Ramble, The Game or Football Weekly. I just listen to it out of habit really.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Really? I much prefer The Game, though it depends who's on it. Really don't like Barkley, though and find I disagree with him on most things.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Yeah, you're right on that one.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

I'm sure most of you know already, but Soccernet and the Football Ramble came back last week. Think The Game's out on Monday and Football Weekly on Thursday. Correct me if I'm wrong on any of those.

Soccernet was same as ever, not listened to The Ramble yet.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

MoPZiG posted:

How to make your pod more dull - add another navel-gazing Arsenal pundit.

Haha, exactly. I don't know why I still listen, routine I guess. Also, since they moved it to another day, they're all spread out over the week now.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Anyone been listening to The Anfield Wrap? I'm pretty close to giving up on it, bit biased even for me.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Yeah, the cakes stuff is awful, think it's been in a couple of episodes. It's just so horribly biased. The club can do nothing wrong in their eyes and as much as I hate United, the other week when they claimed that Joe Fagan's treble was far more difficult to win than Ferguson's because the League Cup used to be more difficult to win was laughable.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Lot 49 posted:

What's this cake stuff about?

In a couple of episodes someone came in with some cakes for them. It's obviously just a plug for their mate's bakery, but they make a huge deal over it and it's rather cringeworthy.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Molby does TV3 here in Ireland sometimes, but his scouse accent is so strong I thought it was Jason McAteer at first.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Anyone still listening to The Anfield Wrap? I gave up a few weeks back because it's a bit poo poo, but they had Rafa on today. Wondering if it's worth a listen?

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Hoops posted:

I don't know why the Football Ramble devotes the entire last 15 minutes of an episode to a profile every single week. I mean, this week it was Bobby Charlton whose career actually generated some interesting stories but a lot of the time it's some relatively forgotten manager of Germany or something and the entire thing is "and then he did this, and then he did that, and then he managed this team, then he went here, then he did this, then he did that...." and you wonder why they've bothered at all because I've turned it off five minutes ago.

I can understand people of an older different generation than I enjoying being reminded of so-and-so from the '74 world cup, but aren't the Football Ramble guys in their late 20s or early 30s? I don't get why they seem so keen to go over people that they may not have ever saw play.

Haven't had a chance to listen to the most recent one yet, but surely that's what makes it more interesting? When they were talking about Ronaldo or Overmars in relatively recent ones, I found them a bit boring because I remember most of their careers. The really interesting ones that come to mind are the likes of Billy Meredith or Béla Guttmann. I've enjoyed the ones with more recent players, but if I remember a player, it's far less interesting.

I also think people are being a little harsh on The Ramble. It's more of a pod done by some fans than anything else. I think that's why I like it as I already get my more serious stuff from Soccernet/The Game/Football Weekly. It took me a little while to get beyond it being a bit "laddish" at first, but I really enjoy it now.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

It really is awful. I think maybe if it wasn't an hour long I may have lasted longer with it. 30mins and them trying not to be funny might make it manageable, even if they were still so biased. The worse of what I heard was them writing Meireles off as a luxury player after the deadline and hailing Bellamy as the answer to everything.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Nice one, I missed it. It's a live one though, isn't it? I saw one of them tweet something about a Guardian open day. At least it's not in a pub with a pissed up crowd and panelist like the others.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Yeah, I hadn't heard anything on the regular ones either, don't think they mentioned it. Perhaps it was a last minute thing.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

The live Football Weekly wasn't near as bad as the previous ones. Still pointless, but at least the audience and panel were sober for this one.

On this subject, did anyone listen to the live one The Times did earlier in the season? Far better than the Guardian ones, as it was more of a forum on general issues than just a normal news/discussion show.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Mandalay posted:

Can you link it? I fear that my man-crush on Jimbo is clouding my judgment on what makes a good soccer pod :ohdear:

It's number 31 here. It was back in October, so I don't remember it too well, but I liked how they didn't just do a regular podcast in front of an audience. The Game is great in general. I love Football Weekly too, but it's nice to hear another one. Marcotti rubs some people the wrong way, but I like him as a presenter, he provides a good devil's advocate and has some interesting opinions.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Does anyone else think it's lost it's way a bit recently? Maybe it's just because I've now been listening for around 5 years, but while it's still interesting I don't look forward to it the way I used to.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Always liked Paul Doyle and Kevin McCarra, though neither are on it very much these days.

TBH, too many of them sound really similar to me and all sort of meld into one. Maybe that's why the ones I like all have some sort of accent.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Big Piece O poo poo posted:

Football Weekly and The Football Ramble are the best. The former is bit more informative and the latter is more 'lovely banter' but they complement each other well.

Agree with this, but I really like The Game, too.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

I am OK posted:

Sid Lowe parts shine when he goes off on a little tangent about Spanish history or the etymology of a stadium name or something.

Tbh, I could do with out Sid Lowe's bit in every edition. I know people like La Liga (not overly interested myself), but it's the same thing every time. On a Monday it's "Real and Barca both won, someone broke a record" then some bickering amongst the Spanish papers whereas on Thursday it's "Real and Barca will both win, someone is on course to break a record this weekend." I really like Sid, but just find the Spanish league a bit tedious. He was great the couple of times he was actually in the studio, though.

JingleBells posted:

No, he's left the Times now

And thank Christ for that.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Only ever used iTunes for it, sorry. That paywall is loving stupid.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Hoops posted:

The only problem with the Football Ramble is that they pronounce everything the wrong way.

Can you give me some examples of this? I've never really noticed. I'm sure once you point a couple out to me I won't be able to stop noticing, though...

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

ICA posted:

Fuckin hate Audible and their shite adverts.

You're easily annoyed.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

I am OK posted:

He's been overruled quite loudly a lot recently. Annoys me how he seems to think that odds are some rigorous certainty even when results go against them - 'but, but the bookies said-'

Odds are pretty much the most accurate stats there are though. Bookies know what they're doing.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Spangly A posted:

Yes but what they're doing is making money, not actually accurately predicting the results of football.

When Sean Ingle says "man united have a two thirds chance to win the title" what he's actually doing is talking absolute bollocks.

Do you understand what odds are?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Yes, odds are adjusted to factor in the amount of money going on a bet, but by and large, the odds play out. For me, they're more valuable than most of the bullshit stats people insist on applying to football.