Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards
https://twitter.com/maxrushden/status/1464189646330466307

Mickolution fucked around with this message at 12:40 on Nov 26, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

https://twitter.com/maxrushden/status/1466664507825004547?s=11

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

It's funny now looking back at the poo poo he got when he first took over or guest hosted. He's great.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Agreed on the Guardian listeners and I would guess any who haven't have stopped listening. I've always enjoyed him on it.

I think some people thinking he's lowbrow just because he was on Soccer AM and to be honest, lowbrow is a pretty fair assessment of that show. If someone mentioned a podcast or whatever to me and said it was presented by a former Soccer AM host, I wouldn't be rushing to listen to it. I think that's probably just down to the tone the producers want for the show and the fact that Tim Lovejoy is a oval office. Should say however, I haven't seen it in years and I don't think I did much when Max was on it either, so I don't know how he was on it. Andy Goldstein is the last host I remember seeing on it and he's fine on Eurosport.

Mickolution fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Dec 3, 2021

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Yeah, I've seen his gurning mug on the sidebar on SSN.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Lol at that Pulisic email.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

the sex ghost posted:

Heartbreaking that I agree with noted clown journalist Jonathan Liew about knobheads with 'can I have your shirt' signs

I like Johnny. Not read a lot of his stuff, but I like him on Football Weekly.

That was a great Mesut Haaland Dicks. Feels more comfortable when it's someone like that rather than an actor or comedian or something. Interesting that they said Max wasn't allowed to do it. He's done Wilson's Blizzard/Ramble one before.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Jippa posted:

have just started listening to football cliches (which is a lot better than you would think - or maybe you are all already listening and I'm really late to it).

the sex ghost posted:

Football clichés is excellent

It's replaced The Ramble as the "funny, but still on topic" football podcast I listen to and it's great. It's often not overly current and has been going for over 2 years now, so there's plenty to catch up on. The interview ones are dependant on who they have on and most have been good, but I think the regular Tuesday shows are the best. Just be ready to skip a poo poo load of ads unless you're listening on the labyrinthine Athletic app.

Is the Ramble still the same as it was when football came back after the Covid break in 2020? As in, is it still a rotating group rather than set days for the different shows? That's what killed my interest in it as it just turned into another football discussion show.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

The initial change was fine, because you still had the regular shows and could just skip the rest. It's when they started rotating the guests that all of the chemistry was lost for me. Maybe they've built that up again with the newer people, but I have enough podcasts to keep me going at the minute without seeking it out.

I see they're still doing the Patreon thing and it still looks loving terrible.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

algebra testes posted:

I notice that Blizzard Classic Games seems not to have uploaded a new episode in like 6 months which is sad because that was my favorite.

It moved to The Blizzard's own feed, but yeah, nothing since November
https://theblizzard.co.uk/podcasts/greatest-games/

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Jippa posted:

Keys suggesting mark robbins for the man utd job. :mmmhmm:

That one cracked me up. Especially when you consider this paragraph from this week's blog:

quote:

...Good luck with that at Carrington Erik. ‘Er - Ronnie. You’re standing in the wrong position. You too Bruno. And you Marcus’. I think not. As I said last week - big players at big clubs are different. They need handling differently. They’re not impressed by white boards and crayons.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

There were a lot of people in touch with them who should gently caress off and watch rugby.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

It's a great episode. His wife calls him Lawro!

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Backdoor Delivery posted:

Edited by a fan of Football Cliches no doubt

For their sins.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

I haven't listened to the last few specials. The previous ones were ok and they were talking about important issues, but they're very much preaching to the choir. As the post above said, everyone's heart is in the right place, but I wonder what, if any, impact they have.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Max is great.

https://twitter.com/maxrushden/status/1547543368158400513

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

https://twitter.com/maxrushden/status/1550012688146829320

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Todays Keys & Gray Corner....my goodness.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

the sex ghost posted:

I've started unconsciously saying people's names in the Richard Keys voice and it's getting worse

Absolutely. I can't hear Jesse Marsch's name in any other way now.

Edit: knew it would be a good one when I saw this yesterday
https://twitter.com/FootballCliches/status/1566818040003665920

Mickolution fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Sep 6, 2022

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Good to see Barry get somewhat called out for his bullshit the other day although he barely admitted any wrongdoing. I do like him and I'm sure he's a good guy, but he's got a controversialist streak and that can allow anyone to be an arsehole. He may have been pissed either, but nobody's allowed mention that.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

https://twitter.com/bglendenning/status/1574076451510358016?s=20&t=DI2XAKlpfHDQE6A_llM-bQ

The question in itself isn't awful, but worded terribly and could definitely be read as dismissive. He then doubled down on arguing with people saying he was out of line and didn't acknowledge the perfectly reasonable response from the guy he was replying to who got caught up in this shitstorm at the worst possible time for him.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

This is a great episode of a great podcast:
https://twitter.com/TheRestHistory/status/1592057903883915264

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

I was at Football Cliches Live last night. Good fun, but the highlight was it taking a few seconds for Adam to figure out why a Dublin crowd would boo a picture of Ally McCoist and then making GBS threads himself a little when he did.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

IceG posted:

Ah that sounds great, any good stories that were too hot for the podcast?

It was an adjudication panel really, so more stuff with a visual element like the meaning of certain gestures you only see footballers do and the like.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

I haven't listened to that episode, but as an Irish person his usual stuff is the most boring poo poo imaginable. I get that it must be pretty insufferable to hate the England team while living there and working in football, but it's the ultimate pub bore shite I've been hearing my whole life.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Jippa posted:

I did not expect an adam curtis impression on FC.

I would love to see Richard Curtis talk about Richard Keys in a doc, though.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

the sex ghost posted:

Needless to say, he had the last laugh

His blog on the subject gives off that energy more than ever, I think.

https://richardajkeys.com/index.php/blog/377-re-wedding-coverage

quote:

Re: Wedding coverage
My goodness - for someone that the Press have wanted cancelled for a long time now there’s an awful lot of interest in me and my wife today.

Let me address some of the inaccuracies that I’ve been reading. And some of the irony in the reporting. The Mail consistently try to do me harm - and want me cancelled, yet they spend more time talking about me - and quoting me - than any other publication.

I’ll never forget what a senior x-Mail journalist told me shortly after I’d left Sky. He called me because he was chasing a story. I was furious with him and let him have it. When I’d finished abusing him he said ‘we were told - bury them - and make sure nothing sticks to Redknapp’. Jamie wrote a column for them at the time. There’s a whole lot more to the story but that’s for another time.

‘Shamed’ they constantly scream. Really? Mistakes were made at the time and I’ve addressed them previously. ‘Shamed’ - all these years on? Why the anger guys? It’s not healthy. What actually are you trying to achieve?

Nick Pisa - why not ask? Why make it up? You were wrong time and again when you worked at the Sun. You’re now just re-quoting your own nonsense. Check - check - and check again. That was the first thing I was taught when I trained. Get it right. Journo’s hate it when you pull them up. They see being called to account as an affront.

When my first marriage collapsed my wife was not suffering with cancer. She’d been seven years in remission after a dreadful scare - one she managed with dignity and bravery. And I was with her every step of the way. She is still very much alive and well, although it is true that cancer sufferers always need to be careful about their health.

Sadly my daughters’ problems have become too well known. In her case she has been ill for many many years. Her problems cost her everything, including an embryonic acting career. I’ve tried to protect her from intrusion, but failed. Tell me this guys - why publish a half naked picture of her in your articles today? How does that add value to your story? Leave her alone.

I was not ‘sacked in disgrace’. I resigned of my own volition after Sky sacked Andy. As he himself has said ‘they were after me. Keysie was collateral damage’. He’s my mate. I will always stand by him - just as he has me. The reason he lost his job is because he was suing News Corp - who’d hacked his phone and put him under video surveillance. What a disgusting intrusion at any time - but he worked for them ffs. He later won his case in court.

Lucie was never my daughters’ friend - let alone her best friend. They met twice. The circumstances don’t matter - at this stage. That’s something else I’ll address going forward.

Lucie has her own high-powered career and doesn’t need the nonsense that she’s reading today. She and her employers - two big multi-National companies - have been incredible during our time together. They have shown amazing support to her. Who is Lucie Rose? What does it matter?

The break-up of my first marriage did not ‘wreck’ my children’s lives. One was 28 - the other 32.

Covid didn’t previously postpone the wedding. I’m sorry you missed the official ceremony last Thursday guys.

My son Josh wasn’t at the ceremony at the weekend.

My response to Jamie Redknapp was as a result of him telling me that night at Chelsea ‘I’ll be at your house when you get home - hanging out of the back of Julia and Jemma’. I wonder if this little nugget will get much traction? Somehow I doubt it.

What he said was edited from a carefully edited tape. ‘Hanging out of the back of….’ Redknapp’s phraseology. Not mine. I simply mimicked it. As I did with ‘smash it’. Does anyone seriously believe I’m childish enough to use phrases like that?

It was Lucie that decided not to pursue Jemma’s disgusting and threatening text messages. She dropped the charges because the case was hurting me and would only have caused Jemma more harm. It was not the CPS that decided to drop it.

It’s time to let this go guys. What has been achieved by both Andy and myself since leaving Sky is incredible. Thanks to some brave and very loyal people we’re still going. Again - I ask - what exactly are you trying to achieve?

As for the disgusting morons on Twitter - there are no words.

Pure gold.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Jippa posted:

Jonesing for football cliches.

:f5:

Same.

I saw Adam say it was back "asap" on twitter the other day, but it's odd that there hasn't been any episodes so far this season. Shame Dave's left The Athletic, too.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Jippa posted:

Has there been anything else from him?

Not that I've seen. It's really strange.

edit: He had an article on The Athletic today and here's the stickied comment:

Mickolution fucked around with this message at 12:49 on Sep 15, 2023

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Thought it was that oval office off GB News for a minute.

I like Horncastle. Always reminded me of some sort of Victorian gent who got really into whichever colony he went off to.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

I guess this explains why:

https://twitter.com/footballcliches/status/1712361918508183861?s=43

That's Lineker's company. They're a pretty professional outfit. Could definitely see a paid version coming along soon. I subscribe to their History one and while it's a great podcast, I'm not sure if the paid tier is worth it. £6pm (I think) for 1 extra episode a week and when they do a series, you get them all at once. Not sure how that would translate to Cliches pod.

Wonder if it'll be The Athletic regulars or if they'll expand the pool of guests a bit more.

Edit: Lol, I should have read the first loving reply before posting

https://twitter.com/footballcliches/status/1712361920110473571?s=43

Mickolution fucked around with this message at 12:03 on Oct 12, 2023

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Yeah, happy about that. Big fan of Dave.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Lol, that was great. I rarely make it to the end of Football Weekly these days so thanks for the heads up!

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

The Perfect Element posted:

Noor Choudry is a v weak FW pundit. He mostly talks about stuff he saw on Twitter during a match. Also has a very high pitched nervous laugh. Contributes little.

Yeah, agree with this. He's not terrible, but doesn't really add much. I don't even know who he is, tbh. I know he has a large following on Twitter and used to always show up in my TL, but is that it? Or is he TalkSport like most of the other guests these days? It gets a bit tedious when guests just go on about their team, too. I know that's probably why he's there, but he seems to bring everything back to Man Utd.

Really like Robyn Cowen as a host (and when she was a guest), though. If Max ever left, she would be a great replacement.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

webmeister posted:

I haven’t listened to football podcasts in a while, but some of the FW specials I think were pretty good?

That one with Troy Townsend about Kick It Out and his son as well was pretty heavy. I vaguely remember them doing a good episode about Qatar’s issue before the World Cup, and I think they’ve done good ones about gambling too?

Not defending them or anything as I haven’t listened to the episode that started this discussion,m, but yeah I thought their specials were quite good at one point.

I haven't listened either, so can't comment on this particular special, but in general while some of them have been good, I've always felt there was a massive element of them preaching to the choir. Perhaps I'm being naive, but I would imagine on racism for example, the majority of people listening to a Guardian podcast would already align with what they're saying and I don't think an episode of a football podcast is going to change the mind of anyone who doesn't. That's not to say they shouldn't be doing the specials or anything, but I really wonder what impact they have on most people listening.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Jon Champion seems like a really nice bloke.