Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Simiain
Dec 13, 2005

"BAM! The ole fork in the eye!!"
Just popping into say that Phillipe Auclair owns and that FW/E has improved vastly since Jimbo buggered off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Simiain
Dec 13, 2005

webmeister posted:

I think the one element missing from all this is actually the crowd. Sure, the players, staff etc from most of those previous semi-final losses have turned over, but I'd guess it's still a lot of the same faces in the crowd. And if those faces are used to the idea that their team regularly lose semi-finals, given that that's their experience over the years, I think that mentality transfers to the players as well.

It's the same thing with England (or Germany fwiw) and penalty shoot-outs.

And yeah, he's kinda right that it's lazy punditry, and over time you'd expect the richest clubs to perform the best, but he was just weirdly aggressive and defensive about it. Reckon it'll be quite a while before he's back on the pod.

Except for the FW live gig he'll be doing with Barry...next week, I think?

Have been meaning to come back to this thread to see what people think. He took a one-sided opinion to be deliberately contrarian, belittled and caricatured Barry's perfectly reasonable (or certainly no less reasonable/half-baked than his own) argument, and then got weirdly inappropriate and aggressive about it.....such a weird argument to blow up about.

I rather imagine he had to have had a quiet word and apology to Barry during one of their breaks, surely? In any case, I had no real opinion about him before...Not as bad as that bland scouse pair nor one of the highlights (Auclaire, Lars, Priya, Wilson)...but now I think he's a bit of a oval office.

Simiain
Dec 13, 2005

kcer posted:

can't believe Dawson finally did something funny

I thought his guru character was pretty good.

Simiain
Dec 13, 2005

webmeister posted:

I don't mind her, but there were a few times in the latest ep where there was a bit of dead air and it sounded like everyone else was waiting for Max to chime in with a joke.

Barney's cool because he takes it upon himself to wind up the others as much as possible

I get the feeling Max might have been better at reining in Ronay/Wilson so that Barney could get a word in.

I'm warming to Ronay, he seems like he's just socially inept and so cant really judge if/when he's turning into a bit of a twat, which I think we can probably all relate to a bit. Wilson and Barney seem to get it and indulge his inappropriately aggressive snark with a bit of light ribbing of their own to deflate the atmosphere and stop it descending into a witches curse meltdown.

Simiain
Dec 13, 2005

Mickolution posted:

What the gently caress is wrong with doing a crossword?

He said it was the cryptic crossword, shudder

I love when Ronay and Wilson are on together, except that they butt in all the time.

Simiain
Dec 13, 2005

So now there are two barney ronays on the FW, lovely

Simiain
Dec 13, 2005

Mickolution posted:

In fairness, he has been quite good since he joined the Guardian. It was just this episode.

Its true, his articles have stood out for being really good. My word what a tone-deaf and needlessly abrasive pillock he was at the start of that pod though.

Simiain
Dec 13, 2005

Grievo posted:

Elis James is my favourite pod guest. He's so passionate, it's great to listen to.

Is Barry passionate about anything other than shooting people with water pistols?

I enjoy his passion for hating anything and everything associated with PSG, myself.

Ideal pod would be Phillipe, Ellis, Glendenning and Wilson I think.

Simiain
Dec 13, 2005

His wikipedia page makes for an interesting read right now.

Edit: or it did, that was quick!

Simiain fucked around with this message at 21:29 on May 26, 2020

Simiain
Dec 13, 2005

Bape Culture posted:

What did it say

Said he was a diddler and that he called someone the N word, sorry I didnt take the shot wikimods are quicker than I thought!

Simiain
Dec 13, 2005

Bundy posted:

Ronay is fine when Wilson is on to offset him otherwise he's loving tedious.

Ninpo

Wilson does more than offset Ronay's Ronayniness, they make a double act together that turns it from dull, dreary pointless iconoclasm into pretty bloody entertaining banter. I love it when those two are on.

Also enjoyed Glendenning owning him pretty hard over PSG.

Simiain
Dec 13, 2005

Thank you for linking old reddit and not whatever the gently caress passes for nu-reddit these days.

Simiain
Dec 13, 2005

I wonder if I'm alone in wanting more of the kind of stuff they recently did on the Saudi bid, occasional episodes dedicated to the political economy and international relations of football. Let Phillipe Auclair and David Conn really get in there.

Its an aspect of football thats not very well served in the current podcast climate of your rambles and totally footballs and whatnot, so I think there is a bit of room for it and it pays to be reminded of the actual real human consequences of these things.

You could even do an ep on Stan Kroenke if it would keep the Newcastle fans happy.

Simiain
Dec 13, 2005

Puritanical fun-haters on this site aside, it was peak Guardian to have an earnest discussion about Max and his new side-gig as shill for a betting company.

Thankfully Auclair was there to really drive home how scummy these companies can be, and what a scummy kind of industry it is.

That said, I like a bet now and then so gently caress it.

Simiain
Dec 13, 2005

Cool, I hate it already.

Simiain
Dec 13, 2005

Answers Me posted:

Don't like Liew. Quite an annoying presence on the pod, possibly the worst regular. Has little to say beyond 'I think I'm really smart'. His writing's the same.

I like Liew alright, I even like Ronay now, I just cant stand the idea of a clever-clever comedy about football where the two of them do their best Ianucci impressions for the kind of horrible football hipster wanker like me who listens to their podcast.

Simiain
Dec 13, 2005

The Perfect Element posted:

Can't quite believe just how smashed Barry was. And Wilson, by the end!

It was a great pod.

They should get rid of Jordan though. His Christmas message was even more loving dour than Barney's, and the fact that he still semi seriously believes that Arteta is a better manager than Dean Smith is mind boggling.

Arteta is a better manager than Smith, but you're right, Jordan sucks. That said, he was pretty sporting about having to shoulder the pods collective white guilt that one time and humouring ronays dodgy opinion about millwall fans

Also, was I the only one who skipped all the cringe messages?

Simiain fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Dec 26, 2020

Simiain
Dec 13, 2005

oliwan posted:

Philipp Auclair defending Spotify as the "good" capitalism aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaAaaAAaaaaaaah

Dont worry m8, happens to the best of us.

Simiain
Dec 13, 2005

I feel kinda bad because I know he has his troubles, but my word is Archie Rhind-Tutt a dire panelist. Awkwardly satisfying that he got called out so blatantly by Max.

Simiain
Dec 13, 2005

Sleeping through the agreed time to start the podcast, lmao. I thought it was a pretty brutal call out, especially since Archie has talked about staying in bed all day due to depression.

Simiain
Dec 13, 2005

Seltzer posted:

It's good as long as you skip any episode that involves Pete. Harry Redknapp's new pod is decently entertaining btw.

Yeah the rotating line-ups mean that sometimes they throw people together who just dont naturally... compliment each other very well. You need Luke or Marcus or Vish to be able to fill in any gaps in the conversation with amiable nonsense and/or insight, when none of them are present and its just Jules, Jim and Pete then you know its one to miss because they dont really bounce off each other, instead just taking turns to drone on for a bit.

Simiain fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Jun 13, 2021

Simiain
Dec 13, 2005

Mickolution posted:

Aside from Jimbo, was there anyone of note lost when Totally Football Show split off?

FW is markedly improved since Jimbo hosed off, so including him, no, no one of note was lost.

Simiain
Dec 13, 2005

Answers Me posted:

With Barry. Another example of apparent animosity between guests. All seems fine now, but it did get weirdly tetchy in that segment to the point where the other guests seemed to get quite uncomfortable with the tension

Barney seems to have a hard time judging when his contrarian schtick stops being clever-clever witty and devolves into plain and simple rudeness, so instead of naturally moving on from the subject he just sits on it, repeating the same thing over and over until everyone is either pissed off or awkwardly silent. Jonathan Wilson is immune to this by virtue of being cleverer than Barney and by constantly owning him whenever he starts his bullshit.

That said, Mark Langdon is quietly becoming one of my favourite guests, his insight tends to be pretty interesting and he's a good (and surprisingly funny) sport about his carnivorous habits. I'd much rather watch a sitcom written by him than whatever torturous, sub-Iannucci, sub-Brooker, wankery Ronay and Lieuw are cooking up.

Simiain
Dec 13, 2005

Ach, I've softened on Ronay. My only real issue is that I cant separate him now from the football sit-com he's writing, so he constantly seems to be rehearsing some big long clever-clever joke.

Simiain
Dec 13, 2005

In a world that contains Arsenal fans, Chelsea fans, Millwall fans, Newcastle fans, Man Utd fans, etc, etc. Aston loving Villa fans dont even register. In the Toxic Fanbase league they're a mid-table non-entity (with David Cameron single-handedly saving them from relegation)

I keep writing out a post here and then deleting it because I dont wanna be one of those people that gets mad about podcasts, but holy poo poo JJB sucks arse. Any input he has is insubstantial guff and he tries to make up for his lack of knowledge by spouting off his lukewarm bloody takes. On the one hand he tries to laugh off his Aston Villa fixation as some kind of past-its-sell-by-date pantomime but then in the same breath he gets all butthurt about the Villa fans justly owning him.

Simiain
Dec 13, 2005

That Paul Merson pod WAS a grim listen.

Thank gently caress for Phillipe Auclair though, listening to him talk about the Saudi deal was a real antidote to the kind of shitposting bullshit that fragile and defensive newcastle fans have been spouting on this here very forum.

Simiain
Dec 13, 2005

Troy's alright, he has the ability to challenge the others without being weird about it, which seems to be a rare trait for FW guests

Simiain
Dec 13, 2005

algebra testes posted:

That lad who played for QPR is definately a great new addition to the pod.

I love all the ex pros because they have a different insight to the average pundit on the pod.

Onuoha is the best new addition they've had in a long time. Footballers tend to be thought of as thickos and I'm sure thats true in a lot of cases, but people like Onuoha and Marcus Bean really demonstrate how smart you have to be to be a football player these days and how much intellectual work you have to do alongside the physical.

Depressingly, the 'old' retired footballers they're bringing on are now not only smarter than I am, but younger too.

Simiain
Dec 13, 2005

Jonathan Creek is right I'm afraid.

Simiain
Dec 13, 2005

lolling a bit at Faye Carruthers righteous anger and the collective shrug from Brewin and Liew that followed. For real tho, that was horribly awkward and I couldnt bear to listen to it.

Simiain
Dec 13, 2005

Answers Me posted:

Good to see Ronay finally refining his contrariness to the point of asking ‘why would you support a football team? How gauche’

That was a stupid question that was well shut down. But I'm with Ronay when it comes to England, our fans are twats and I don't want harry Kane to win a God drat thing, so I can't bring myself to support them.

Simiain
Dec 13, 2005

I still listen to the ramble because I drive so much; however, because they mix and match their line-up you do get the odd combination that just has absolutely no chemistry and those episodes can be so dry that I cant bear to listen to them struggle to get half an hours pod out. Pete is good when he has someone to bounce off of and Jim is good as a straight man, but when theyre together without Vish or Marcus to balance them out it is just tortuously dry.

Though its not really a strictly football podcast, I had given up on Athletico Mince because the one who isnt Reeves & Mortimer just isnt very funny and they do the same thing every episode, but its good if you listen to it every 2 months or so.

Simiain
Dec 13, 2005

Every show they advertise for Stak sounds aggressively unfunny and or stupid in a way that I truly can't fathom anyone going out of their way to listen to them.

Also lol at Barry wading into the women are hysterical talk

Simiain
Dec 13, 2005

Max and Barry are a double-act so count as one together, that way you can squeeze in an extra panellist to get the best line-up which is Max/Barry, Auclair, Onuoha, Wilson and Langdon.

Unfortunately, Troy Townsend does kinda suck.

Simiain
Dec 13, 2005

Troy Townsend and Johnny Liew for the FW's final-day-of-the-season pod.

smh, just smh

Simiain fucked around with this message at 16:26 on May 23, 2022

Simiain
Dec 13, 2005

Almost 4 minutes of adverts before the football ramble today. I'm lucky enough to have fingers so I can skip that poo poo, but, goodness me, even by their own grasping standards that's a bit naughty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Simiain
Dec 13, 2005

holy lol. I tried listening to it, but the 'eat your vegetables' serious episodes are never very good. Max seemed terrified from the outset.