Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MoPZiG
Jun 6, 2006

Ideally we'd be sat infront of computers threadshitting in TRP all day but sometimes, alas, we must scrape our thighs together and go somewhere. Pop the ipod/radio on and keep the footie consciousness going. Thread discussing our favorite football broad/pod casts.

Guardian Football Weekly: Guardian Football Weekly: Popular bi-weekly (Mon/Thurs) pod with James Richardson and an assortment of Guardian correspondents. An excellent overview of Europe's top leagues and cup competitions and often comes with time to spare for amusing anecdotes and side-stories. The pod has been a launching pad for many now-ubiquitous football pundits including Raphael Honigstein, Sid Lowe and Barry Glendenning. Birthplace of 'Crouchy is 'avin his nachos.' The brass ring of football pods really.

The Football Ramble: A 4-man footie fancast that goes out on Wednesdays. The Ramble discusses the more bizarre and humorous aspects of football that happened in the past week and then compiles the sport’s most interesting profiles in the apt named 'Dean Windass Hall of Fame. Good Fun.

Times' TheGame Podcast: A Monday podcast hosted by Gab Marcotti. The Game features several prominent Times correspondents with discussion centered largely around the premiership. Provides little evidence that there is in fact much value behind their site’s paywall imo.

ESPN Soccernet Podcast: Bi-weekly, hour long podcast with ESPN writers. A fairly comprehensive roundup of the week’s events delivered in a dry mechanical fashion, kind of like ESPN.

5-live World Football Phone In: A Saturday phone-in that covers football in the Americas, Europe and other parts unknown. Tim Vickery and Andy Brassell are two of the best and usually worth the high price of admission – being forced to listen to the regular callers bumble through 5 minutes of pleasantries and benign questions. gently caress you Cleo in Aldershot, noone cares about your facebook page.

606 phone in: What do the punters think? Not much

World Soccer Daily: Worth a laugh because my god, the hosts are horrid.

Stop Hammertime!: West Ham specific, was off the air for a while after the sponsor went bust - go figure.

MoPZiG fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Aug 9, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MoPZiG
Jun 6, 2006

Rhg0061r posted:

I had no idea Phil Jupitus had a football podcast, thanks!

He's also on the latest issue of Stop Hammertime! discussing his hosting duties at the West Ham year end party, which he cartooned about here.

DougieC posted:

World Soccer Daily is really horrible, but an alternate download site for them is here http://podcast.com/show/1375/ which is a slightly less ugly site.

Im curious what people think about Steven's recent fracas with Liverpool supporters trying to get him off the air. While he is right to free speech, having such an inflammatory (stupid really) view on the Hillsborough disaster was bound to lead to afters.

MoPZiG fucked around with this message at 18:22 on May 18, 2009

MoPZiG
Jun 6, 2006

harperdc posted:

While I wish I could find a good MLS-centric podcast, really, Football Weekly is about all I need to survive.

Every Friday on the Soccernet feed is a separate MLS specific show. Problem is that its hosted by J.Chang who sounds like hes at a funeral.

MoPZiG
Jun 6, 2006

So its basically unanimous that all pods want Newcastle to go down.

MoPZiG
Jun 6, 2006

Missed this when it first aired but apparently Russell Brand made his first radio appearance post Sachs-gate on TalkSport podcast.

Him and Noel Gallagher debate the most pressing issue in football: whos the best club - West Ham or City.

MoPZiG
Jun 6, 2006

Thread necromancy :zombie:

Over the past few weeks the Guardian pod crew have been joking with Sid Lowe about him splitting allegiances with other broadcasts and him perhaps not returning. Does anyone know what other shows he does and if they really might have to replace him?

Incidentally their Football Eggstra podcast 2 weeks ago was probably my favorite of the season.

Anyone know any pods going through the summer? Tried to put WSD on to fill the void but its unbearable. Steven opened the last show basically insinuating that the British are biggots for not crying over CRon's departure and that Stevie G wouldn't have bla bla bla.

MoPZiG
Jun 6, 2006

Heres another podcast Ive found a good laugh.

The Football Ramble

quote:

Marcus Speller, James Campbell, Lukey Moore and Producer Pete are 'The Football Ramble', a fortnightly podcast released every other Saturday. Recorded in a secret location somewhere in London, everything regarding the beautiful game is dissected, pulled apart and discussed in the show that has threatened on more than one occasion to rock the football community to its very core.

Forever sticking its brave head above the conversational parapet, 'The Football Ramble' has the enemy permanently in its sights. And when they shoot, they shoot to kill. Download the most recent show on the below link and marvel at the finery that is The Football Ramble in full, magnificent flow.*

for USA based stuff theres also Match fit USA.

MoPZiG fucked around with this message at 09:33 on Jul 28, 2009

MoPZiG
Jun 6, 2006

ICA posted:

How long until Football Weekly's back :( I need my nachos.

Its baaaaack

MoPZiG
Jun 6, 2006

harperdc posted:

I'm also sad at the loss of coverage in the U.S. but honestly I wasn't listening to it, ever, because it was poo poo. If somebody does better stuff and with more of an MLS focus I'd gladly listen.

http://www.championssoccerradio.com/
Check out 'Match Fit USA' for indepth American stuff.

As for WSD, Im glad its gone because Steven and Kenny were lousy hosts.

edit:this is a decent article summing up the WSD vs Liverpool debacle. I didn't know that even Peter Kenyon stepped in to distance Chelsea from Steven. Hilarious. I have never heard of a club doing that.

MoPZiG fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Aug 24, 2009

MoPZiG
Jun 6, 2006

Funso Banjo posted:

Basically, you need to listen to this show if you're a soccer fan. Until you can say you listen to this each week, you're a scrub.

The cast, Vickery especially, are all top drawer but the regular callers (yes even 'The gent') are incredibly boring. Even worse are the people who ring up begging for the Brazilian shirt name. Dotun is too generous with his time.

In other podcast news our patron saint Ray Parlour rang into the most recent Chapper's Premier League podcast (itunes).

and apparently WSD is back, anyone know the details?

and if you arent listening to the Football Ramble yet what are you waiting for?

MoPZiG
Jun 6, 2006

Sky Sports are now releasing their Sunday Supplement in podcast form. Now you can listen to the chirpiest goon in football, Martin Samuel, on you ipod here.

MoPZiG
Jun 6, 2006

Mickolution posted:

As much as I like Barry Glendenning, he's not as good as he used to be.

I think Barry's performance is inversely related to Sunderland's.

Worst person on the GU pod is always the Argentine woman, she never says anything remotely constructive.

MoPZiG
Jun 6, 2006

Speaking of Brand, would anyone else like Barry's to publish his memoirs. I reckon theyd read like a very dour booky wook.

MoPZiG
Jun 6, 2006

Hearing Glendennings reactions in anticipation of the Ireland draw was hilarious.

MoPZiG
Jun 6, 2006

Wow Paul Doyle really layed into Benitez on GW Extra this week.

MoPZiG
Jun 6, 2006

Jimbo's Christian Vieri facts were great.

MoPZiG
Jun 6, 2006

MoPZiG
Jun 6, 2006

Jupitus is leaving the Times pod. Is this the end of Diamanti watch? :(

Barry picking fights with the American GU posters was the highlight of pods this week.

MoPZiG
Jun 6, 2006

ICA posted:

Ah cool, he's off. I might retry The Game podcast then... though, is Marcotti still on there? He's a oval office of the highest order.

Flab is the emcee now.

MoPZiG
Jun 6, 2006

Lazy like a Fox posted:

I'm new to the whole soccer thing, but I kind of like the guys at https://www.setpieceanalysts.com . One guy has a really whiny voice that's kind of irritating, but their opinions are always really well thought out, and they cover everything from England to Russia to the WPS. One of the guys on the site (Krishnaiyer) has written a whole bunch about the USL/NASL split, which I haven't really seen anywhere else.

The main guy has the gooniest voice ever, apart from that its OK. Im glad to see Im not the only one who thinks the MLS could be run through regional divisions.

For US based stuff I recommend http://americansoccershow.com/ aswell.

MoPZiG
Jun 6, 2006

Sanskrit Scat posted:

probably doing themselves (and you) a favor

Vickery and the Brass are brilliant pundits but the show is let down by Doton's banter with the unbelievably dull regular callers. The phone-in should just be a list of emailed in footballers/teams/cups etc. read off to the experts and let them run with it.

Mickolution posted:

They mentioned them on yesterday's one. I didn't notice anything out of the ordinary though.

Americans complaining about Barry's MLS bashing?

MoPZiG
Jun 6, 2006

Aw that was what Football Weekly was missing recently: Fernando Duarche!

As for that Villa Support Group chap...

MoPZiG
Jun 6, 2006

MOSF posted:

I downloaded the guardian podcast yesterday and Richardson is still an obnoxious twat. The Espn soccernet podcast is great, it may seem a little dry at first but at least it's a proper football podcast.

wow.

I dont get the 'proper football' criticism at all. The likes of Sid Lowe and Rafa H have taught me an awful lot about football, culture etc.

The Football Ramble is also up there :colbert:

MoPZiG
Jun 6, 2006

Paddy is a bit of an old school whinger. Cant say I dont agree wholeheartedly with his stance on getting rid of agents though.

The Times used to record quite good interviews for the pod, dont know why they let up.

MoPZiG
Jun 6, 2006

and thats why the Ramble is tops. Who else would get an interview with Kenny Pavey haha?

MoPZiG
Jun 6, 2006

The nerve of that villa-support-crew chap posting negative poo poo about the GU hosts is beyond belief. That guy was absolute poo poo when he was on the pod. Dont let the posters have any power jimbo!

Roney's thoughts on N'Zogbia for England are worth a punt too.

MoPZiG fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Jan 19, 2010

MoPZiG
Jun 6, 2006

So was Sid in on the bingo game when interviewed this week?

MoPZiG
Jun 6, 2006

Bearproof posted:

David Goldblatt, author of The Ball is Round: A global History of Soccer recently gave a talk at the London School of economics on global sport and global capitalism. I highly recommend it to everyone, as he discusses some critical issues in the game and covers a lot of geography in doing so. His style is a bit fiery but his rant on Tiger Woods is absolutely devastating. Check it out!

"Fine lets not win the Champions League. Let the Spaniards win it. Id rather have the German football culture but with an English sense of humour."

spot on :colbert:

MoPZiG
Jun 6, 2006

Oh hey my podcast thread isnt dead :)

Was thinking about updating my OP list. Anyone got any team specific pods theyd like to plug?

ones I know of that are any good

arsenal: its up for grabs now.
manu: redcast
tottenham: spurs show
west ham: stop hammertime

MoPZiG
Jun 6, 2006

luvd posted:

how have i never heard of this before

*subscribes*

unlucky theo

MoPZiG
Jun 6, 2006

For those who havent heard. An emailer on the newest Football Ramble extra provides a story of bizarre footballer behavior almost on par with Crouchie's Nachoes.

I give you Kusczak's beer gag: http://fourfourtwo.com/news/england/53150/default.aspx (about 12:30 in)

MoPZiG
Jun 6, 2006

Monday Bandele posted:

I would pay one English pound for a panellist-only edit of the World Football Phone-in

Oh yes, I absolutely loathe the regular callers who spend 10 minutes saying hello and have to get their oh so clever quips in. Even worse are the people clamoring for a Brazilian shirt name. They shouldnt give them to people who beg (or at all really its played out). Dotun really isnt doing his job.

Vickery, Top Brass and Wheelock are really wasted on that show 80% of the time.

Speaking of BBC 606: I applaud that Villa fan calling up and setting Alan Green straight on his lazy critique of Martin O'Neil's 1 dimensional side. Made him look a right tit.

MoPZiG
Jun 6, 2006

All the podcast teams from Playback Media Studios (the team specific ones Ive mentioned before +more) are combining forces for a special world cup series that starts in June.

http://itunes.apple.com/uk/podcast/itll-go-to-penalties-the-world/id360722788

Im optimistic provided they keep the Liverpool n Spurs guys quiet.

MoPZiG
Jun 6, 2006

Bobby Digital posted:

God that guy's a oval office. It makes me want to call in to cancel out his Nebraska-besmirching fuckery.

um could you repost that in a Canadian accent? :razz:

MoPZiG
Jun 6, 2006

Anyone wants to help compile World Cup and national team exclusive podcasts?

MoPZiG
Jun 6, 2006

Vickey + Wilson - time wasting callers (despite Doton trying his best) = first decent World Football phone-in in a long while.

MoPZiG
Jun 6, 2006

NPower Football League Podcast. Also available on ITunes. Seems kind of soulless but at least Championship footballers can string a few sentences together.

Anyone else got pod tips for the new season?

MoPZiG
Jun 6, 2006

Good to hear Steve Claridge tearing into Capello on 606.

MoPZiG
Jun 6, 2006

Soccernet keep changing their correspondents which would be OK as long as the new guys werent all sky4 fanboys.

Also Alan Davies' podcast is back but the other clubs' pods on the same network havent started up again?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MoPZiG
Jun 6, 2006

New French guy on the Guardian Pod is quite good. Does this mean the end of Paul Doyle?