Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NeuroticErotica
Sep 9, 2003

Perform sex? Uh uh, I don't think I'm up to a performance, but I'll rehearse with you...

ACanofPepsi posted:

I really hate the camera with a video-feature thing. CMOS sensors work fantastically in still cameras, just keep them the gently caress away from video until the shutter issues are worked out.

I shot three quick projects with them last weekend, and honestly it comes out ok. The workflow isn't that great (you have to bring them into compressor before you can do anything). The real problem I had is that the lenses that most packages are going to have with it are really suited for stills, racking and pulling focus on them is a pain and never comes out quite right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NeuroticErotica
Sep 9, 2003

Perform sex? Uh uh, I don't think I'm up to a performance, but I'll rehearse with you...

Momonari kun posted:

Yeah, I've pretty much decided to shoot my next film on a GH-1 for a number of reasons. The biggest is low light and low visibility, as in, so we don't get caught shooting where we aren't supposed to. We need the shallow depth of field, but doing this in low light is quite difficult with other HD camcorders in my price range as well.

I've scoured over problems with the GH-1 and while the camera won't do any magic, it will help us achieve the look we're looking for. We have a scene at a club where we're going to rent the HVX for a day, because strobes and fast movement kill CMOS sensors.

If you have other options, I'd look into them. I shot a couple of quick projects on it and while it's nice for avoiding permits and stuff, I'm just not a big fan. Plus if you're looking to rack or pull focus, most DSLR lenses are just going to be way to slow or stiff to do a decent job.

NeuroticErotica
Sep 9, 2003

The Affair posted:

How do the rest of you freelance people survive during this 'joyous' season?

Unemployment. Your job ended, if you paid in you qualify.

NeuroticErotica
Sep 9, 2003

SquareDog posted:

Come to where I work. Indie Rentals! you can see what we got at Indierentals.com 323-465-7700. My name is Adam. PEACE!

Uhhhh how much can we exploit you?

NeuroticErotica
Sep 9, 2003

I've got a film business thread here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3365675

I've given a lot of advice to film students, maybe it'll help you out, Dorkside.

NeuroticErotica
Sep 9, 2003

BeavisNuke posted:

If you guys have some concrete ideas don't forget to apply for a Cinereach grant. They are giving out grants of up to 50k. I applied for a short doc I'd like to do inspired by the Trayvon Martin incident.

http://www.cinereach.org/grants/how-to-apply1

The actual submission part messing up for anyone else?

NeuroticErotica
Sep 9, 2003

Jalumibnkrayal posted:

Amazon Studios?

e: http://studios.amazon.com/scripts

I don't know if the scripts listed there are legally entangled with Amazon though. The winners are surely, but those that aren't might be produce-able.

Amazon has an option on everything sent to them. For zero dollars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NeuroticErotica
Sep 9, 2003

TheBigBad posted:

At least they are WGA signatory so they have to pay you guild minimums for any option they exercise.

They had to be completely strongarmed into it. I still don't think it's a good environment to be in.