Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

H2SO4
Sep 11, 2001

put your money in a log cabin

Buglord
Just brought the tC into the dealer to get the oil consumption test done for the piston ring "warranty enhancement". Weird seeing tamper evident tape on your engine bay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H2SO4
Sep 11, 2001

Buglord
The Maverick sprung a pinhole leak in the radiator.

Of course that means I had no choice but to order a new aluminum radiator. And shroud. And electric fan. And of course that means I need to upgrade the alternator as well.

This weekend has been a neverending string of "gently caress it, while I'm under there I might as well". Oh, and gently caress Champion radiators. They didn't even drill the shroud, and when I started doing the needful I realized why - the holes barely line up. loving thing ain't even square. I made it work though.

Edit: and I can see my future. I'm going to be the guy that brings two alternators to a shop and asks them to swap pulleys because I don't have an air impact wrench and really don't need to buy one right now.

Edit 2: gently caress, i'm gonna buy a compressor and impact wrench from HF tomorrow. Don't sign up for their coupons, kids, this is what it does to you.

H2SO4 fucked around with this message at 06:01 on May 8, 2016

H2SO4
Sep 11, 2001

Buglord

H2SO4 posted:

Edit 2: gently caress, i'm gonna buy a compressor and impact wrench from HF tomorrow. Don't sign up for their coupons, kids, this is what it does to you.

This was literally the best decision ever.

H2SO4
Sep 11, 2001

Buglord
When cleaning out the Maverick last night I inadvertently cut my arm and didn't realize until I saw some spots on the upholstery. After a solid panic session I got home and was able to completely get it out by flushing it with peroxide and then hitting it with the carpet cleaner. Close call.

H2SO4
Sep 11, 2001

Buglord

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Your arm or the car?

:iiam:

Got the blood out of the upholstery. It's all original inside so my heart really dropped when I first saw the spots.

H2SO4
Sep 11, 2001

Buglord
After 6 months of bullshit, I finally got the new wheels installed on the Maverick.

Old and busted:

New hotness:

H2SO4
Sep 11, 2001

Buglord

Terrible Robot posted:

Ansen Sprints are the best old-school wheels, ya done good. Love the Maverick too, especially that color.

Thanks! I definitely agree, this style is right up there with the ever present Cragars in my opinion. These were actually a legit set of stock wheels from a '73 so it's even still period correct. The only thing I want to do besides general body touch-up stuff is swap the giant bumpers to a set of the skinny ones. I've got everything I need except the rear bumper, so hopefully I get that done sooner rather than later.

H2SO4
Sep 11, 2001

Buglord
More like "what did some other piece of poo poo in an assumedly stolen car do to your ride today?"

This happened on Sunday and they haven't even assigned an investigator to the hit and run yet, despite there being video evidence of the car including make model and clear as hell shot of the license plate. rear end in a top hat threw it into reverse and tried to ram me out of the way because they were fleeing from a scene where two other cars were hit, two were broken into and one was stolen. Now I'm waiting for the adjuster's report of the damage, then to find someone parting out a car that I can pick parts off of. I have baller insurance with $0 deductible because of exactly this scenario, but it pisses me off that I know whoever did it is probably going to get away with it. So help me god if they actually find the people responsible I'm going to legally eviscerate them.

H2SO4 fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Oct 17, 2016

H2SO4
Sep 11, 2001

Buglord

Raluek posted:

That's too bad; that fender is pretty done. You going to take the opportunity to make other modifications, since you don't have to worry about it being "all original" anymore, or put it back the way it was? Also, did it tweak your wheel/suspension at all, or is it entirely cosmetic?

So, I have thought about it. It was pretty cool to have something that was exactly the same as if it had just rolled off the production line, but I don't want to be one of "those" guys. I'm not going to do anything crazy to it, but I am trying to see this as a blessing in disguise. It did hit the wheel to where the top is leaning inward, so we're definitely looking at suspension work on the front. I have also wanted to convert to the small bumpers which actually requires the fenders to be notched or donor fenders from a car that had small bumpers from the factory. You can actually get repro versions of the small bumper fenders brand new, so I'll probably just get those installed and do the conversion. There's actually a guy that might some good donor pieces about three and a half hours away, so I'll swing by and see what he's got. There's some other minor body work that needs to be done and what better time than this to bite the bullet and get her taken care of.

As long as they didn't do some crazy underlying damage like tweaking the frame (which I can't see any indication of) then I should come out ahead. I've also recently moved to a place that's got a much better work area which is nice for the parts I can do on my own. I'm also fortunate enough that the local vintage car shop that already knows my car does collision work too. Those guys are cool as poo poo and always have amazing beasts in the parking lot whenever I come through.

H2SO4
Sep 11, 2001

Buglord
:getin:

H2SO4
Sep 11, 2001

Buglord
My "rear end in a top hat hit my Maverick" repair turned into "welp, why don't we install all of the poo poo we've been collecting?" Which turned into "well, as long as it's getting body work done we might as well do the whole thing."

By the time it's done it'll look like a completely different beast. Small bumper conversion, Grabber spoiler install, dent/rust repair, new paint from metal on up. We're not doing a full out sperg restoration, but we're matching the original tone so the engine bay/door jambs/etc don't look weird. It'll just be 2 stage with some light metal flake thrown in to make it look sweet as hell.

Damage + old parts:

Early test fit of new parts:

After a bit of prep it already looks amazing. The lower holes in the rear are covered up since they're not used with small bumpers and the valences are spot on. Everything's OEM parts that I've been collecting over the years, no repro stuff. I thought about a Grabber hood and to be honest I think I like the regular hood better with the Grabber spoiler, gives it a kind of sleeper feel.

H2SO4
Sep 11, 2001

Buglord
Yeah, you're probably gonna have a hard time trying to get it back in since you signed off on the work and picked up the car.

H2SO4
Sep 11, 2001

Buglord

ewiley posted:

I figured out why my high beams weren't working with this new Putco harness on the XJ

Now that's a neat trick.

For content: my Maverick just got painted and oh god I'm gonna poo poo myself. Should have it back middle of next week at which point there will be a proper flood of pictures.

H2SO4
Sep 11, 2001

Buglord
I finally drove her home after her extended body shop vacation.

Swapped to small bumpers/valences/etc, notched front fenders for stone guard, fixed damage from the rear end in a top hat running into me. Taken down to bare metal and painted back up. Fixed up a couple dents and a very small patch of rust in the driver's side rear quarter panel. I'll have some more shine picturesd in the detail thread after I give her the 'ol once over.

H2SO4 fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Jul 10, 2017

H2SO4
Sep 11, 2001

Buglord
I need to get the Maverick's AC working, which is gonna be a pain in the rear end. I guess I could try finding some R12 to fill the existing system before going full on 134a conversion, but I don't know a drat thing about making sure oil/etc is good in there so there's a good chance i'll grenade the compressor. The vintage car shop I usually use doesn't touch R-12 systems, they just install Vintage Air kits.

On topic: oil analysis is pretty fuckin dope.

H2SO4
Sep 11, 2001

Buglord

Holy. poo poo.

I'm absolutely going to try this and report back. Thanks!

H2SO4
Sep 11, 2001

Buglord

Darchangel posted:

R-152 (air dusters) are your friend.
https://www.rx7club.com/1st-gen-archive-71/c-charging-easy-cheap-safe-alternative-refrigerant-997918/

I currently have R-152 in my '90 RX-7, and it's in the Cherokee I sold to a friend. It's working *really* well in the Cherokee, since it was originally R-134a and has enough condenser capacity. It's adequate in the RX-7 - they were marginal with R-12, and dismal when converted to R-134.
My Cutlass has FR-12 "Envirosafe" (R-143a and Propane/butane) in it because that was what worked when I put it in. R-152 was not available at the time, and the pressures need to be close to R-12 to work with the style of regulation it has. No, I don't want to spend $150 to replace the working POA valve with a compressor cycling switch. It currently won't shift out of first gear, anyway.

When you swapped to R-152, did you remove/drain/etc the compressor as well or just swap the filter dryer primed with ester oil? It sounds like he is saying that just swapping the filter dryer should be good enough but also talks about servicing the compressor on a bench as well.

H2SO4
Sep 11, 2001

Buglord

fps_bill posted:

finally installed the steeda jacking rails I bought a while ago.

Those things are great.

H2SO4
Sep 11, 2001

Buglord
Spent all goddamn day working on the Maverick, dremeling out the fan cutout on my aluminum radiator shroud to let me mount my fan just inside instead of the outside because i've got only 2.75 loving inches of clearance from the rad fins to the bolts on the water pump pulley.

Definitely feels like a huge improvement over just having the fan mounted directly on the radiator, even though I'd still like to be able to get something that can pull more air than literally the slimmest 16" fan they make. This one only has to last until I put a 302 in there anyway, right? :getin:

Now I just have to clean her up for the car show tomorrow.

H2SO4
Sep 11, 2001

Buglord
I replaced the reverse light in the Mustang with the Oracle LED assembly instead of the drop-in LED. Thing's probably brighter than my headlights now.

I also replaced the switchback LEDs with a proper sequential front turn light assembly. The switchbacks I had in there started making GBS threads the bed a few months in, I'm much happier with the new lights. No more fast flashing in the gauge cluster either.

Of course, all this attention to the Mustang made my Maverick jealous. It's now developed a metallic ticking under moderate acceleration when in drive that doesn't appear to manifest in neutral or park. I'm not sure I want to bother getting the C4 rebuilt, I might just do a manual swap instead with a 5 speed. Which then naturally leads into "hey, if you're swapping the transmission, might as well swap that 250 for a 302." Decisions, decisions.

H2SO4 fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Feb 20, 2018

H2SO4
Sep 11, 2001

Buglord

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

The C4 is a decent transmission for its time though, and absolutely worth keeping (and building up) if you plan to hop up the engine any. Definitely more aftermarket support than the FMX (which is also a good trans, just not as popular).

I mean the C6 is a bit better for high power applications, but still.

Hmm, now you've got me thinking. I'm not planning to build a drag monster or anything, the C4 strapped to the 250 just kind of felt anemic. I don't know much about transmissions other than having a couple more gears lets you apply that power better. I'll see if I can find some reading material on what kinds of things I can do on the transmission side.

H2SO4
Sep 11, 2001

Buglord
My wheels for the Mustang finally came in... now to order tires and get them mounted. CJ Pony Parts dragged their feet on my TPMS sensors so it'll probably have to wait til next week.

:getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H2SO4
Sep 11, 2001

Buglord
Now that's pretty.