Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Dropped the landcruiser off at the local 4wd place for them to do this to it!

So they can bolt a snorkel onto it!

I wasnt game to cut a 90mm hole into my own car!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Got the snorkel fitted, And something else while i was at it...

I now have a motorhome! :v:

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

Spray on cutting compound apparently.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

Installed a new winch bar!

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

Pulled the sump and knocked out the #2 piston from my mates 80 series turbo diesel.

Cranks gonna need to be ground :(

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

Pulled an engine.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

Billy Tully posted:

Its a diesel and that's the combustion chamber hole.

Direct injection diesel.

The pistons are generally good, but the #2 crank journal is trashed

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

150K service, so timing belt, oil change etc etc. Didnt do the injector pipes, because thats $600 I didnt have!

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

Well this is the last TWO days, and its my mates HDJ80, not mine, but I went from this....

To This!

Full engine strip down and rebuild after a catastrophic Big End Bearing failure- #2 tore itself to pieces, spun, shagged the conrod, belted the piston into the head and tore up the crankshaft and cracked it! So New crank, New piston, New Rod, New bearings throughout...

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

I jammed a gently caress off huge intercooler into the front of my landcruiser to replace the factory one.

When your trimming bits of the grille off to clearance an intercooler, you know your pretty much at the limit of fitment!

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

Got around to changing the oil (all 11 litres of it) and filter on the engine, and while I was under it found a weeping axle seal and both my drivers CV boots have been throwing grease.

Sigh...

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

General_Failure posted:

It's plausible under certain conditions such as upside-down-ness.

Now if you can tell me where the brake fluid in my trailer disappears to at random intervals I'd love to know. It's fine until it's suddenly not. The only trace of brake fluid is around its MC but the cap got hosed so I replaced it recently.

I swear the brake fluid fairies steal fluid from trailer brakes...

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

Didnt do much with the cruiser today, but I've spent the last two days working on dads new Hilux.

Somehow we didnt get a photo of it when it was new, but it essentially looked like this, Except its "Lustre" rather than Blue

Got the tyres changed almost immediately for BFG All Terrains in 265/60R17

Then bolted on an ARB bullbar and Snorkel

Fitted a pair of RFI antenna- One for the UHF, One for the phone cradle

Bolted in an Aux battery, isolator and wiring for all the bits and pieces.

Lightforce 240 Blitz driving lights

And as it sits now.

Its also got a Icom IC440 UHF inside and an ARB compressor to go in under the bonnet, but I'll need to make up some bracketry for that.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

Makes my adventures into braking on my old hilux seem a little inadequate.

I can fully get behind a turbo Alfa! I'll help push!

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

rebuilt the rear brakes on the old Red Hilux- new drums and shoes and cleaned up all the hardware in there. Also did some work on the adjustments on the brake booster, so now the pedal actually has some progression rather than just being an on off switch.

Then the old man and I sat on the tailgate and watched life go by on the farm while drinking beer in the autumn warmth of Adelaide. Good times

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

Larrymer posted:

So...pocket 2k cash and drill and zip tie it. That looks like the most insignificant damage for that estimate.

I recon the big puddle of what looks like coolant might have a bit to do with the 2K quote.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

Maybe you flogged it into submission towing that trailer and car home?

I discovered a trashed CV boot today on the cruiser. Hoping it will make the 2000km trip home to where all my tools are, cos i DONT want to try and replace it up here in Lismore!

Pain in the arse thing is its an outer boot, so It moves around waaay to much to clean it up and wrap the poo poo out of it with duct tape.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

Im doing highways all the way home so dust shouldnt be an issue.

I'll have a brand new CV shaft sitting there waiting for me when I get there so im just running the drat thing as it is and if its clicky and crunchy I dont really care.

Worst case scenerio, I stop in at Dubbo, buy a brass drift, a 12mm spanner and 2x 14mm spanners, pull the drive flanges, replace em with the ends of 2L PET water bottles and then drop the front drive shaft and throw it in the back.

Then lock the centre diff and drive the drat thing home in RWD

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

Bought a pile of parts to fix up some post trip damage...

New front axle shaft, new RH front diff seal, new upper radiator hose, 4x T-bolt camps for radiator hoses, loctite to repair all my bilstiens, new thermostat and gasket, new coolant, new front diff oil etc etc etc.

Now im just waiting for the bastard to cool off before I can do any work on it. I dont particuarly enjoy dumping hot coolant or diff oil on my face! :supaburn:

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

fingerling posted:

Got it an unreasonable speeding ticket. :( :australia:

Also mini photo-shoot; <apologies, still learning how to properly use the camera etc., fog messes the focus>

South Australia really does have some nice hills. It's just a pity they're relegated to such speeds.

Did you get pinged on the old freeway? Both that and greenhill road are awesome driving roads, but between the knobhead cyclists, the clueless tourists and the cops hiding in a bush with a laser it's hard to actually enjoy em properly :(

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

fingerling posted:

Oh, it was loving bullshit; but I'll not continue and be one of those people that provokes anti-police.. posting.

Because of the speed there's a Victims of Crime levy. :( Total comes to the Princely sum of $730.

HOLY gently caress!

I got done for 104 in an 80 zone about 6 months ago and that was only $430 WITH victims of Crime! And three demerit points...

God those fines have gone up recently!

As for my ride: I bought it some new navigation today!

Hema Navigator HN6
http://www.hemanavigator.com.au/Products/HEMANavigatorHN6/tabid/189/Default.aspx

Not only does it do street navigation using iGo, its also got almost every public campsite, rest stop, caravan park etc in the country in on it, AND it runs Oziexplorer as well- so you can load up any topographic map and navigate on that!

It came factory loaded with EVERY HEMA 4wd map produced and covers pretty much all of the country!

For under $700 for the whole lot, and its already let me load up all the high detail Country Fire Service maps onto it, so I can use it for that. Works thinking of getting them for our fire vehicles, so it will be good to see what its like in the real world first

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

Yeah- Give us a week or so to try it out and i'll see what its like.

Last cop that was sitting down the bottom of the tollgate at 2am when I rolled down copped both my lightforces with 55w HID's into the aiming scope of his laser gun. I wasnt speeding, but he was sitting there rubbing his eyes as i drove past!

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

EightBit posted:

I'd lose my poo poo if I had to try to thread bolts through the ~70lb wheels on my Jeep.

Yeah. It's hard enough to get the studs to line up and slip on properly with my 285/75R16 muddies. Tyre+rims would be 30-40kg. I'd have lost my tyre iron in a fit of throwing rage if I had to deal with bolts.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

Larrymer posted:

Care to expand? I've never had an issue with the hook type ones.

I tore the hook off a fairly expensive well known brand set of compressors trying to do the front struts on a toyota prado. but they did have stupidly heavy springs in them- Would have been 13-14mm diameter wire. I think they were 400Kg constant load coils, and only about a foot or so long.

I took em to a suspension shop and watched their hydraulic compressor groan and bend slightly changing them :gonk:

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

Left it home and took the parents new D4D hilux for a drive to mount gambier and back to get a few more Kms on the clock and run it in a bit more

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

I got into a fight with mine...

200K km service, its all fluids, valve clearances, belts, wheel bearings and I decided to throw a set of urethane bushings into the steering rack to fix up the slop caused by 200K km old rubber bushings.

loving steering rack. Took 3.5hrs to get the drat thing to the stage where I could bash/sawzall the bushings out.

gently caress your bushings Mr Toyota.

Then I had to do the valve clearances. Toyotas got an interesting setup with the 1HD-FTE motor- its quad valve, SOHC, so each pair of valves is actuated by a rocker and a bridge.

Adjustment procedure is: 1) Place a shifter on the end of the bridge. 2) undo the locknut on the bridge without putting torque on the bridge by using the shifter to support it so you dont bend its support shaft and gently caress the entire valvetrain. 3)Back off the bridge screw until loose. 4) Undo rocker adjuster and back off. 5) Place feeler gauge in, start to tighten the screw until the gauge can move with a slight drag, tighten locknut. 6) tighten bridge adjuster until it just starts to pinch feeler gauge. 7) tighten bridge nut without torquing bridge 8) repeat for other 11 valve sets...

Problem is, to get to the valves, you have to remove the intercooler crossover pipe, which has an EGR pipe on it. And of course, out of the two nuts, ONE will strip. Even with a loving 6 point socket.

Hour of bashing away with a cold chisel and pounding a 13mm socket onto a 14mm nut got it off eventually.

Takes about an hr and a half to do the valves, and its a prick of a job up at the firewall end.

Tomorrow is wheel bearings, Belts, All drivetrain fluids and then when someone else gets home, I need to feed 3L of brake fluid into the brake and clutch systems. Brake master cylinder holds a litre and a bit on its own!

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

Holden Monaro?

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

South australia doesnt have ANY inspections for vehicles registered in state. No roadworthy, no Emissions, Nada. As long as you pay your rego on time your free to roll. Unless a cop sees you cruising around in your bomb and defects you.

We do inspections on cars coming from interstate though- Mostly from states WITH roadworthy inspections! Cos that makes sense.

The number of busted arse magnas with rot holes and a constant haze of blue smoke is staggering. Interestingly the Hyundai Excels have all but vanished from the roads.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

Ordered a pair of these for the Cruiser.

http://lightforce.net.au/hid/products/hid_240_xgt/240XGThid50w

They're certainly not cheap lights, but I got 9yrs out of a set of old 240XGT Halogens that were converted with an ebay HID kit (the only legal HID conversion in Australia is doing driving lights)before the reflectors finally started to dull, Since it would have cost me $250 each for the XGT halogens, plus another $300 for a new HID kit to suit, and it voids both the warranty and waterproofing of the light to fit one, I decided to get the factory fitted HID ones. Still $650 a light!

Should have them tomorrow :D

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

Motronic posted:

I've used those on 3 different rescue boats and too many trucks to list. They are really, really nice lights, and even better considering the price.

I've NEVER had an issue with Lightforce lights- even when my XGT's popped seals and got water on the reflectors they still outperformed anything not HID at the time. Lightforce are a drat good company to deal with too- Dad had a tree limb jump out in front of his car in a storm and it shattered the cover and broke the housing on one of his blitz lights. Rang Lightforce to enquire bout the cost of a new one, considering they were 5yr old lights and they only have a 1yr warranty and they sent an entire reflector assembly and a pair of new covers out free of charge!

I'll support that kind of company!

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

Holy HELL are they bright!

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

Sat it outside the workshop at work with the doors open and dire straits cranked up while we sat on rescued couches around a gas heater and drank beers and scotch and coke to celebrate my birthday :)

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

I finally got around to installing the fog lights into the bullbar that have sat on my desk for the last... 2 months?

Now i need to get the appropriate connector to adapt into the factory loom, get the relay and a new stalk with the twisty barrel for the fog lights and then dismantle half my god drat dash to install the drat relay. Its one of those relays that toyota put on a shop floor and build a god drat car around :(

And im getting there on my epic Warn winch rebuild- Ive got 2x M10,000 winches and a XD9000 to strip down, overhaul and reinstall into vehicles. One M10000 had a rusted to gently caress motor and severe corrosion under all the paint, which has been stripped back and resprayed, the other 10K had a blown up motor thats gonna be replaced with either a 4.6hp or a 6hp motor and get a full overhaul.

Then I need to pull the XD9000 out of the 100 series, strip it, overhaul it and install it into dads new Hilux.

Then find a winch bullbar to suit my mates 80 series so he has somewhere to bolt HIS new winch!

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

I got this one in my tyre once.

Turned out to be this once we pulled it out!

loving electricians screwdriver!

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

General_Failure posted:

Bought a cheap secondhand stereo for it. It may be missing the trim thing that goes around the edge possibly but I don't care. I think I had a stereo that used the same setup once and the trim kept falling off.

I've been tired and the weather has been mental so I haven't done anything. Can't do much anyway until I can find a replacement bottle for my propane torch or find a place that tests them so I can get it re-complianced. Nobody will fill a bottle that's 13 years out of date.

What kind of bottle?

If its a 4.5 or a 9kg, take it to a swap and go place and dump it on them. Last time I looked at it it was about $50 to do a compliance check on a 9kg bottle, and $34 to swap and go it. Then just take the swap and go back for refills

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

General_Failure posted:

Now you mention it I do have a 9kg which is probably out of date too. The other 9kg is pretty new and I own it so those swap and go places can keep their tentacles off it.

Its impressive how much a 9KG swap and go cylinder looks like one you bought when you strip the stickers off it

Edit for content:

Nothing on my own car today, but my mates 80 series turbodiesel is back at my place for some more maintenance work- its got a few major things to do, and a few minor ones- but ive got a few weeks to get it done.

Major jobs:

Remove injector pump and send it away to be re-sealed. The seals have all failed from the Ultra Low suphur diesel and its pissing more fuel out the side of the pump than out of the injectors.

Order and fit a set of Reco injectors

Pull the turbo and check it out to try and find the source of the engine oil consumption issue- pretty sure its the turbo seals by the massive amount of oil in the intake manifold.

Smaller jobs:

Fix the drat oil pressure gauge. It was working, then it shat itself- went to max, then died. Pretty sure its the sender as the gauge moves when you earth it out like the factory service manual says it should

Remove the door trims and lubricate all the window mechanisms and tracks to try and make the drat things go up and down faster than "Glacial"

Replace some of the rubber bushings underneath it that the diesel leaks eaten.

Worked on the pressure gauge issue today. Gonna see what a new Aftermarket senders worth and drop that in first

Ferremit fucked around with this message at 09:21 on Aug 20, 2013

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

Finished off a storage/drawer system for the back of my mates landcruiser

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

Its pretty well set up- undo the fridge with the 4 straps and it slides forward and behind it are the toolboxes and spare parts your not using very often, then theres a divider wall on that side, and you flip the rear seat forward and theres another pocket with first aid kit and wet weather gear. The drawer beside the fridge doesnt go full depth, it has another divider in it and the recovery gear sits behind the other rear seat. Then on top of the wheel arches you can shove bits and pieces like bags of tent pegs and gloves, and on the LH side beside the fridge a 20L water jerry slides in.

Cost us $200 and took about 2 days to make too!

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

General_Failure posted:

A little jealous, or something. You get what you pay for. It looks really good. Still plenty of storage space above. Do you think you'd ever use a cargo barrier, or prefer the option of being able to fold down the back seats?

What I did recently. Nothing really except put some fuel in the Niva. I figured it'd be getting low because of all the driving around town and over the next town. Only got 25L into it. Considering it's an engine based off an old as dirt design, carburettored with a carby past its use by date, and been ran cold most of the time with the choke on a fair way, and it's permanent AWD which doesn't help economy I'm impressed.
It's probably the smaller engine + gearing that's been doing it. The Fairlane is geared for the highway. It's only about 300kg heavier but it's a pig around town. It doesn't like low speed driving and the auto loves to shift at about 50km/h which suddenly bumps up the speed by 5-10km/h. So I have to set cruise to force it to drive at town speeds evenly.

we're keeping our eyes open for a 2nd hand half barrier that goes from the top of the drawers to the roof- I dont like the idea of a wagon without a barrier as its just inviting something to go through your head, but its handy not having one so you CAN put longer stuff in there. When it does get a half barrier, it will be set up for easy removal for that reason tho.

We priced up a commercial one- anywhere from $1200-2400 for a drawer set for it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

is that a steel insert in the alloy drum?

Doesnt look SHOCKINGLY bad in there- unless im missing something.

I fitted 6 new injectors to the 80 series tonight- Ripped the injector pump off last night and dropped it in to be re-sealed and recalibrated after the ultra low sulphur diesel made the seals all leak. Hopefully have it back tomorrow or thursday and spend friday fitting it up and getting it started again.