Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

New plugs and wires in my '02 Impala. I hadn't intended on changing the wires since the old ones were not that old and still in good shape but I had to loving mangle them to get them off the plugs. I guess the bit of silicon that got sprayed in them the last time I did the plugs wasn't enough so this time they got a healthy dose of dielectric grease. I don't intend on owning this car long enough to change the plugs again but stranger things have happened. Need to rotate the tires tomorrow and I changed oil two weeks ago so I shouldn't have to do any thing else to it for a whole two months until I have to change oil again.

Maybe now I'll be able to put my motorcycle back together and have that ready by the time it gets warm enough to ride.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

KozmoNaut posted:

Any passing on the right is 100% on the shithead doing the passing. Two wrongs don't make a right.

In your situation sure. I always give people time to get over, especially big rigs, but if some is on an otherwise empty road and is just chilling in the left lane doing 5 under then gently caress them I'm passing on the right.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

That thing is gorgeous. I think you made the correct choice.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

Super Aggro Crag posted:

Nothing special. 2006 Cobalt SS/SC. FE5 (Cobalt SS/TC) struts and shocks, Pedders 1.5" lowering springs and a 3" ZZP intake with a huge gently caress-off K&N air filter.

I think he may have been asking about the "Finally found a good way to clean these:" part.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

My parents have had satellite radio in their car for a couple years now and have never paid anywhere close to the advertised rate. Every time it comes up for renewal they call up to cancel it and the rep starts throwing discounts at them until it ends up being like $75 for a year.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

Somewhere around the start of winter my throttle began sticking after sitting overnight. A bit more pressure than normal and it would break free and be fine until the following morning. It's gradually gotten worse and now sticks even when just going into a store for a bit. Pedal and cable appear to be fine and it looks like the throttle body on the 3800s is known for getting some buildup in there so I pulled off the air intake thingy, sensor, and hexagon filter thing and hosed the throttle body down with some cleaner. There was a fair amount of buildup in there so hopefully that takes care of it. Also replaced the air filter while I had things apart.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

No, his approach is slightly different.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

Changed the oil, oil filter, fuel filter, and serpentine belt. Also made my dad's old air ratchet functional again.

While doing the fuel filter I noticed one of the exhaust hangers broke so I picked up a pair of those and will change them tomorrow or something.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

Pulled off the front bumper on my Fit and ziptied some gutter guard on the back of the intake area to help prevent any further damage to the A/C condenser. It's already pretty mangled but it's not leaking and the A/C works fine so if a few bucks in gutter guard and an hour of my time keeps it working I'll be happy.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

One of my fog lights was broken when I got the car. From looking around the net it looks like this is pretty common due to them being low to the ground, fairly exposed, and glass. I got a set of two in yellow off ebay so it was just a simple matter of removing two phillips screws and swapping the housing. Except that they were actually JIS instead of phillips and more importantly they were rusted on pretty good. Soaking in PB blaster for a day didn't do anything and heat wasn't an option as it would have melted plastic the screw went through. I dremeled a slot in the head of the screw to get a better bite and

gently caress you.

Not you Keezer, you're awesome.

Anyway I really only needed the head of the screw off to free the light from the body panel so good enough. To avoid having to do this again I got some 1/8th inch plexiglass, cut it to shape, and used a heat gun to bend it to roughly the right shape to fit around the lights. Later this week I'll have some clear velcro type stuff to stick the plexi shields on so no pictures of them installed on the car for now.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

kastein posted:

I drove my truck around in the woods a bit because the power was out (bad thunderstorm), I couldn't use my computer, and I couldn't use any of my power tools or my welder either.

:hfive: I was without internet for a few hours yesterday so I changed the coolant in my car just to have something to do.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

The city finished redoing our street which means there's no longer a constant cloud of dirt hanging in the air ready to pounce on my car so I washed my car and bike. Noticed some weird splotchy patches on my bike's windscreen which I was able to polish out with a headlight restoration kit. Also removed the front wheel on the bike in preparation for putting a new tire on it tomorrow.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

Spaced out and put 3.6 gallons (in a 5.5 gallon tank) of 87 octane instead of the 91 octane minimum the manual calls for. Also the bike has no knock sensor. Good thing I live close to the gas station and it's easy to siphon out of that tank.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

Infiniti driver made the mistake of bringing a plastic car to an APC fight.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

Washed it and pulled a fuckload of grasshoppers and butterflies out of the lower grill. Replaced a cross threaded wheel stud and rotated the wheels. Changed oil and filter and manual transmission fluid. That actually ended up being a pain in the rear end because I couldn't get any tubing to go into the fill hole properly. Ended up taking an old racking cane and reformed it with a heat gun until it cleared the baffle or whatever the gently caress is just inside the transmission fill hole and then everything went smoothly.

Just need to replace the brake fluid which can wait until tomorrow or next weekend. For now I need more beer.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

It does look much better. It doesn't help that the badge keeps getting bigger. By 2025 I think the front of the car will be shaped like a Chevy badge.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

Lubed up my caliper pins and bled my brakes. The fluid definitely needed to be changed and the pins were a little sticky so I'm glad I did it. I've noticed a lot more brake dust on the front driver's side wheel than on the passenger side so hopefully greasing those pins takes care of it. It brakes completely straight and there's plenty of meat left on both sets of pads so I don't think there's a major issue but I'm keeping an eye on it.

e: Oh and swapped out the plastic shift knob for an aluminum one. Looks a little goofy because it's brassish color but it was $10 shipped so I figured I would give that a shot and if I hated the feel of it I wouldn't be out much.

Galler fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Nov 16, 2013

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

Changed the oil and filter, reserving some oil to send to Blackston Labs, and rotated my tires. Replaced the caliper pin boots as I thought I tore one when I serviced the brakes a while back but they were all completely fine :iiam: Oh well, it didn't take much time, only cost $3.50, allowed me to do a better job of servicing the brakes, and I'll probably sell the car before the boots ever need to be looked at again.

I really need to get a low profile jack. Driving up onto ramps just to get a jack under the front so I can get the car on stands is a pain.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

I got a factory service manual for my Fit for like $25 shipped off ebay. I will now buy a FSM for every vehicle I own from here on out.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

Washed off all the salt and put on my new winter tires :woop: Hopefully this storm they are threatening will dump snow so I can try them out.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

Powershift posted:

All seasons on snow are for calm, sedate, controlled driving at reasonable speeds.

Good winters are so you can do full speed.

Yeah this. Once the temps got down to around 20*F even my 109 hp/105 lb-ft engine could produce some wheel spin on dry pavement with the all seasons I had on there. The few patches of parking lot snow I encountered made steering, accelerating, or braking pretty sketchy at anything other than maximum slow. Hopefully these tires fix that and if it starts dumping snow I can go hoon about in the nearby parking lots like kastein mentioned.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

Inch or two on the ground and pretty loving huge difference. The wheels wouldn't spin unless I deliberately provoked it and I could change direction and stop properly as well. :woop:

Also, controllable handbrake turns in the nearby parking lot :getin:

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

I'm not sure where that switch ends up relative to your seating position but it looks like it could possibly get a little :ese: in an accident. Might want to swap it out for a covered toggle switch because it looks awesome might be safer.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

Actually got above freezing today so I washed it. In fact it was 50 an sunny so I didn't even need a jacket :feelsgood:

Poor car couldn't have been anymore salty without actually working in a salt mine. Once it's consistently above 55 I think I'm going to get a DA polisher and give it some more attention.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

Finished detailing it yesterday and then had to detour through a gravel road today :qq: I thought I could at least manage a week without it being filthy again.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

Exact same procedure on my Fit and it's wonderful. My Impala's procedure was, if I'm remembering correctly, to pop the hood, pull back the weather stripping on the passenger side, remove a plastic fastener, pull off the trim below the windshield, and fish out the filter. Bit more effort but still only 5 minutes at most and only tool required is a quarter or big flat screw driver for the fastener.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

Switched to my summer wheels and tires. Might be a bit early yet but it's supposed to be above 50* (and possibly 70* on Monday) for the next couple weeks and right now my 'summer' tires are all seasons so it should be fine. Also installed one of these shift knobs after someone on here mentioned them. It feels kinda huge but it blends in better than the $7 aluminum :rice: knob that had on there before. Haven't driven it enough to know if I like it or not yet.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

Put on my winter wheels and tires and drove around a bit. Now I'm really looking forward to replacing my summer tires because holy poo poo my winters ride so much better. Not sure if one of my summers wore differently than the others or if it's out of balance but they aren't super great tires and new ones are very cheap for the Fit so I'll just get new good tires in the spring.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

My car (08 Fit) has been taking longer to start as it has been getting colder. It didn't do this last year and I suspected that the battery was nearing it's end so I decided to be proactive and replace it. 151r batteries are relatively expensive and I had read that 51r batteries can be stuffed in a Fit with a little work. So a trip to Costco and $70 later I got to work.

Install procedure:
1) remove old battery
2) remove (lift out) plastic battery tray insert thing
3) insert new battery
4) secure with stock battery tie-down
5) add battery terminal shims and attach cables

That grueling (effortless, 5 minute) process gained me 170 CCA and saved me $30-40.

Also, the date code for the old battery was 2006. RIP in peace little glorified lawn mower battery. You did good.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

Finally felt well enough to attempt to swap my winter wheels/tires out with my summer wheels/tires. Managed to do it but holy poo poo am I still drained from being sick for a week with the flu/plague/ebola/whatever. I was sweating (in a ~65*F garage) before I even got the jack under the car and soaked by the time I finished. New summer tires are BFGoodrich g-Force Sport COMP-2 which are probably hilarious overkill for a Honda Fit but they were cheap ($70 each I think?) and are the highest rated summer tires on TireRack in that size. Haven't driven enough to have an opinion of them other than that they are obviously better than the crappy all seasons that were on there before.

I almost want to start a YouTube channel "Will it fit in the Fit?" about all the poo poo I buy and stuff in the back of the Fit but I think it would get boring when the answer is just 'yes, of course' every single time. Today it was a lawn mower and a shopping cart load of other supplies.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

I replaced the spark plugs on my Fit which was mostly trivial. I figured out after I had removed a plug that the only deep 5/8s socket I had was a spark plug socket and that socket holds onto the spark plugs much tighter than it holds onto a 3/8s extension. Fortunately a friend was coming over anyway so I bummed a ride to the store and got an appropriate socket for plug installation. Also ordered a set of 3/8s gearwrench sockets so I do not have any such problems in the future.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

Not my ride but I've helped a coworker do oil, plugs, plug wires, air filter, front brakes, and brake fluid on her new NA Miata. Still need to do the timing belt, water pump, coolant, mtrans, and diff fluid. That car is so hilariously easy to work on and actually pretty fun to drive. Still slow as balls and needs a turbo or engine swap, but I'm starting to think Miata people might not be completely insane.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

Torn Quad Jones posted:

Let us know what they handle like and if they are loud looking to pick up a set next summer

I have have the same tire (in a different size) on my first gen Fit and haven't noticed any tire noise. They were cheap, my commute is short, and I already had winter tires so they are pretty much perfect for me. No complaints about 1000 miles later.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

Larrymer posted:

drat, that sucks. Should probably just buy the right tool (cap wrench in the right size) for the job next time? I had one like this and didn't have the right size one, so instead of resorting to getting pissed and bloody I just went to the store.

Sometimes even the right wrench doesn't really help. I ended up drilling some holes in one of mine and running some self tapping screws into the filter so it would grab hold enough to get the filter off. It was that or drop the oil pan (k1200rs has an interesting filter location) again so I could gain enough access to use my favorite filter wrench.

e: That filter wrench has no problem at all tightening the filters but gently caress those filters like to weld themselves to the block.

Galler fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Sep 28, 2017

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

Sitting in a waiting room while someone else changes my oil. Pretty sure this is the first time I have ever done this. Not have a garage is butts.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

I've been mildly concerned that I had a CV joint on the way out for the past few months but I lacked the space to work on it so I've been ignoring it. I've had a garage for a month now so I finally got around to taking a look at it. I went to slide the jack under the front of the car and it immediately got stuck on the undertray. All but three of the remaining push pins finally let go and the tire was rubbing on the tray when at full lock. I've been meaning to get new pins for that thing for at least three years now so I'm not surprised by this. And that's how I fixed a CV joint with a screwdriver.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

Darchangel posted:

Fortunately, I have spares:

I didn't know there were just sets of those fuckers. I've been too lazy to track down the specific ones I needed and just removed the under tray from my car since it was barely holding on. I might get that thing back on this weekend. Thanks!

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

I went with this set. I haven't gotten around to using any of them but I think they're fine.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07Z83X5CD/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

I should have replaced my headlights ages ago but I finally did it today. The process was made easier by most of the plastic push pins holding the bumper on being gone or broken. So I fixed that too and also I now have a gas cap with a tether for the first time since I bought the car 8 years ago.

Yes, my car is filthy. I'll fix that probably never.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

I've had success polishing headlights before but it did exactly gently caress all to these. The cloudiness appears to go basically all the way through.