Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Noise Complaint posted:

Cleaned out a beater Cavalier I got for a couple hundred bucks and found a receipt for a Quaife LSD and install in the glovebox :stare:
I remember when I had my lovely j-body, those were pretty expensive. How much is the receipt for? How long ago did they put the diff in?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
That looks really good. If I had a GD STI I'd probably end up doing the same thing, or go with a Limited duckbill trunk.

What's the white car in the background? Mercedes?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
I pulled this fender off:

and put this fender on:

and also fixed this leaking oil pressure switch and replaced a brake booster hose:

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Mar 11, 2012

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Is that a Subaru of some kind? The shifter, handbrake and "AWD" sticker look familiar, but the cupholder and the fan speed dial are weird.

I'm guessing from the cruise control stalk that it's a post-98 something, probably not an Impreza?

e: Forester? Seat fabric looks weird.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Apr 2, 2012

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Is that the factory colour?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Installed a new lighting harness that uses relays and heavier gauge wire to provide for a higher wattage headlight bulb. It'll come in handy for TSDs as well as night driving, as the stock H4s would get drowned out in streetlights easily.

We had to bang out a small backing plate (used the backplate from an electrical outlet box) and fitted it to the horn mount behind my drivers' side headlight.

I got it from Daniel Stern.

Soon I'll be tearing the front end of the car apart again to install upgraded horns as the stockers have become seized with rust.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Apr 14, 2012

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Powershift posted:

It would be nice to paint the rim of the wheels in a similar fashion, but i'm lazy and a terrible painter.
Plastidip is basically self-levelling, though I have no idea how it'd do without some scouring ahead of time.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
I chucked some new wheels and summer tires on the SE-R, just in time for a surprise blizzard which basically gave way to rain almost immediately. May is weird.

Also, I can't park.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Super Aggro Crag posted:

I thought you were my friend until I noticed the lack of rust. You swap in a SR20DET too?
There's a little rust if you look closely. Working on the latter. :)

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
I took my winter wheels and tires off and put on some summers:

I should stop cornering at high speeds on dry, hot pavement with studded tires. The passenger side one has similar wear on the inside of the tire, so perhaps it's not my driving habits that are to blame. :iiam:

The tires (Potenza GIII) were free with the wheels, so it's time to burn them off. The drop in circumference has made my speedometer all kinds of screwy (205/60/15 to 205/55/15).

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 23:57 on May 11, 2012

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

It's only displaying about 3.3% faster than it was before.
Yeah, I ran it through a tire calculator before I threw the tires on. The speedometer is already off because the speedo cable sticks so I have another excuse to fix it. :)

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
I just swapped the blower motor resistor on my '98 200SX SE-R. Thanks for making the blower motor and resistor so easy to access, Nissan. Only eight screws total (and six of those were just to take the glovebox and latch out). I hope it's this easy on Subarus.

Weird that it died after only 62,000 km but there was some weird corrosion on it, and replacing it made everything hunky dory so it must have been broken.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
I just changed my PCV. I thought I had screwed up the teflon tape but it sealed fine and didn't unravel as I screwed it in.

The hose looks pretty bad though. It's shrunken around the hose clamp pretty severely but somehow hasn't cracked, knock on wood.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
I swapped my air conditioning and alt/steering belts on my '97 Impreza tonight. Putting the alternator belt on was a huge bitch - even with the alternator dropped all the way to resting on the block it still needed coercion to get it onto the pulley.

A little bit of tensioner fiddling later and it's happily charging away.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

opengl128 posted:

Hilarious. Like, it couldn't just throw up an error message or something? I needs a beating heart?
In case it locks up, I guess.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
I sold a bunch of my spare parts and threw together a prefab shelf for the garage. Maybe tomorrow morning I'll replace the oil filler o-ring.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
I installed a rear strut tower bar today. Now the knob for my Koni adjusters isn't anywhere near long enough to reach through the hole in the strut tower bar and reach the adjuster tab.

Is there some kind of Koni adjuster extension out there? I found flexible ones for the Tokico D-Specs but nothing for Koni Yellows. An extra inch or two would do it, but the more the better. Maybe I should recruit a machinist.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Skip the Monroes and go for the GR2s. They'll be a more jarring ride than stock but probably a lot better than what you've got now, and certainly better than AGXes.

Tire Rack offers them but I don't know what their pricing is like compared to other places in the US.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
You should make a project thread about all the stuff you've done to it to get it back into the land of the living.

That is, after you've had a chance to drive it. :)

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
I finally emptied out the garage after my move-in so now I can park two cars indoors. Good thing too because I've had to wash bird poo poo off my WRX 3 times this week.

I bought some Goo Gone automotive spray to try and get all the dead bugs off my front end but now I'm hesitant to try it in case it erodes the glue for my 3M clear bra. The sticker warns that you shouldn't spray it into carpet in case it dissolves the carpet glue but I'm guessing I might be able to rinse it off before it soaks through the 3M (if it's even possible for it to do so).

Grimster posted:

I would love a Typhoon (is that the SUV one? I always mix 'em up). It would be a very good match for my Buick in the garage.
The way I remember it is Syclone = S15, Typhoon = ...Jimmy. :eng99:

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

bull3964 posted:

Why not just use a clay bar to remove the bugs?
I thought clay bars were only for paint, but I guess now that I think about it they should work for vinyl too. I'll go pick one up tonight.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
I finally bothered to put my summer tires on.

Yes, it's almost the end of August. I need to swap new winter tires on, and don't want to drive around on brand new winter tires in summer temps.

At this rate I'll be wondering why RS3s are suddenly so bad at cornering in the snow in March.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
I threw a $30 17mm rear sway bar from a WRX onto my Outback Sport (formerly rocking a 13mm swaybar but was so eroded by rust and destroyed bushings that I'm surprised it worked at all).

I ordered a set of Prothane bushings for it but couldn't fit the bushings over the bar, and after converting them to split bushings with the help of an x-acto knife, they still were too tall to fit into the body mounts.

Ended up reusing 17mm WRX bushings that thankfully came with the bar. Big improvement - the rear end feels a lot stiffer and lets me accelerate a bit earlier in turns and correct mid-corner.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Geoj posted:

Got my ball and chain in the mail today...

Even while consciously going easy on the brakes I still managed to trigger 2 hard braking events during a 20 mile drive. I'm going to see what happens at 30 days, if I don't get a discount I'm un-enrolling and sending it back.
I would pay good money for one of these that tracked and uploaded high scores to the internet.

Your friend's best lateral G: 1.09
Your best lateral G: 0.89
Beat your friend's lateral G and post on their Facebook wall about it!

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

kastein posted:

There's an accelerometer and a GPS receiver in most smartphones now, it would be pretty easy to write a smartphone app to do this for almost free (aside from battery usage and bandwidth etc.)
Then it's easier to cheat, though. If it's a dongle connected to the OBD2 port that's powered only when the car is rolling you can't just shake your phone repeatedly to get a high skidpad score.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
I wish I still had a car with a conventional dizzy so I could buy one of those. That's badass.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Yeah.. I would get a safety deposit box for that master key. And some sort of armed guard.

The dealership has to do all that work too?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Ah. I was kind of hoping the dealership had a magic service tool because I'd be pissed if I lost my keys and ended up having the dealer tear my entire interior apart just to cut new ones.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
The stock plastic endlinks on the WRXes break so I'm always surprised when I see a car with intact endlinks that's over 10 years old on the road.

See if there's an aftermarket part that's better than the Moog; I replaced all the ones on my WRX with aluminum. I'm sure the MS3 must have a ton of mods for it.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
It must only be some kinds of Plastidip because I've found it at Zellers before.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Hypnolobster posted:

Beater 99 Civic. Should be a pretty fun winter for once.
When I think fun in the snow, I think open diff FWD. :v:

But seriously, it's nice having "oh god am I going to die on this icy corner" lifted off your shoulder so you can focus on "jesus christ how can nobody else drive in this loving poo poo?"

You should do local rallycross events if you have any.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
I like it. How good is the paint, ten footer?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

trouser chili posted:

As you'd expect for old paint, it varies depending upon what part of the car you are looking at. The worst of it is the driver's side at the rear end of the quarter panel. There is an area there where the paint has a bit of spider-webbing. It looks like it could be polished out. It's not visible from 3+ feet by my eyes. There are also a few shallow dents and half a dozen paint chips scattered about.

That sounds pretty good for such an old car. It's a gorgeous colour and it'd be a shame for the paint to be damaged.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
With help from my friends I managed to put an '02 TS 5-speed into my '97 Outback Sport, thus fixing the horrible screaming that came from the input shaft before.

Lots of stuff needs to get done as a job like this touches tons of parts of the car and exposes them to scrutiny (need to buy new exhaust gaskets, get holes in the exhaust fixed, need to get new CVs, need to double-check gear oil levels, and double check & torque several bolts, something wacky is going on with the speedo cable) but it's already a lot nicer to drive. It is however a bit heavier than the old box so the dead/dying rear struts are getting overwhelmed going over washboards.

The gear ratios are just different enough to make me relearn the car (taller second gear is intriguing and may cut my rallycross times) and having a fresh clutch in there makes a big difference too.

I dunno if I would do this again without a lift, transmission swaps are lame and contain many heavy parts.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Nov 27, 2012

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Molten Llama posted:

Every time someone posts a rolled vehicle, I think "Yep, my tall rear end would be dead."
You know, they made a Dakota convertible...

You'd still be dead but you'd look drat good on the way out.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

jamal posted:

I got my snow tires mounted finally since it snowed this week and actually having traction is pretty great. Also installed a missing fender liner and put on the ski racks. I'm ready for winter!
How many donuts have you done so far?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Shai-Hulud posted:

Its the HDi FAP 110 HP 1.6 liter engine. It probably has some other name in a Ford.
But it seems with these small diesel engines you should take your oil change interval serious anyway.
My dad pretty much said "Don't listen to the manual or what the car tells you, change the oil every 15000km! And don't use the cheap stuff!"

So im gonna do that now and hope the next turbo survives a bit longer...

Can you take the filters out? Subarus with filters on the turbo oil feed line are why they started cranking down their "mileage between oil changes" number for awhile (although it was to like 5000-6000km...)

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
It's so nice out there. -10 and sunny with no wind.

Replaced the coilpack on the Outback Sport which seems to have fixed the stumbling issue. I could see no obvious external signs of coilpack damage but this one was obviously much stronger even from the point where I turned the key.

Replaced the nightshaded and peeling front corners on the Miata with Depo corners, which I was surprised to find were DOT. On the downside the battery in the Miata seems to have died while I wasn't driving it. Hopefully I can resuscitate the tiny little AGM(?) battery in the trunk in time for summer.

I did a little bit on the house (chipping ice off the driveway, checking out a broken part of the fence that collapsed under the snow load) but there's nothing to do on the WRX right now that isn't a huge job that can wait until summer.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
All I got done today was finally swapping out the cracked and dented stock trunk floor on my WRX for one I pulled from a 9-2X. The new one is grey (which doesn't match the old one's black) but it's under a rubber spill cover all the time so who cares.

Then I tried to install the Paranoid quick release bolts into my strut tower brace, but unfortunately the Subaru bolts were a bigger diameter so the quick releases just let the brace rattle around and not actually do any, you know, bracing. So they came back out and got thrown into my parts bin, maybe something else can use them in the future. It's not like it's hard to remove the brace as is - two 17mm wrenches and you're done.

The Miata still sits, immobile, in the alley. I did bother to figure out the trick for resetting the radio security code, though, so when I finally drag the battery off the charger and start it up I'll have music.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
I just swapped the thermostat on my Miata. It had, of course, an old parts store thermostat and a pinched gasket.

It warms up much faster in the cold now and is actually comfortable once a trip is underway. It still seems like the "peak hot" isn't very hot unless I'm beating on the engine, though.