Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Imperador do Brasil posted:

Oh I don’t even have any tires with white letters as an option. I like to stir this pot every time it comes up since some folk get real ornery about it.

Can I get your opinion on chili before I decide how much of a monster you are? :P
Tell me about hot dogs are related to sandwiches, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

KakerMix posted:

They never used to, is the point. That's a change in the last year with their marketing material, hence why I would always check because one time I ordered a set for a HiAce we had and those KO2s did not have the "raised white letter" option. I've bought so many of these tires that I made it a habit to always check, JUST IN CASE. Now I guess I don't have to!

And bonus spot while on the north side of Japan:

and today I just received the last of the documents to finish importing this and should have it at the start of February:

Which of course I will be putting on a set of white-letters-out KO2s. I honestly don't think there is a situation where they look bad, ever. I wasn't sure how they'd look on that 84 Pajero in that vomit of pictures I just posted, but looks awesome.

What WON'T be getting white letters on it is this which is coming at the same time as the short body Hilux:

1989 Toyota Levin GT-Z, supercharged 4A-GZE wearing a new set of Potenzas which are insane overkill for it but hey, I bet I can take corners far faster than I should in it.

IN CLOSING, Always White Letters, Always.

Motronic posted:

By my deeds I honor you: BFG White Letters Out

Doing God's work.
If I get around to lifting the Outback, the next set of tires will have white letters. Maybe even if I don't lift it.

Night Danger Moose posted:

BFG White Letters Out gang :hfive: these are now my winter tires as I run MPS4S in the summer

Nice. Paint pen?

chrisgt posted:

white out!

....no.
Sorry, now we've hit my point of intolerance: I hate white stipe tires, with very few exceptions. White walls, appropriately used, fine, but thin white stripes just look cheap.

edit: but if I'm honest, it works in an ironic fashion on something like that Metro.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Yeah, I use the TireStickers dot com pens, they're pretty solid. Can't remember if I did 2 or 3 coats on those ones, probably 3.

Neat, thanks. Have you got a feel for how long they last before you have to refresh the lettering?

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Feels like it depends on the tire. The BFGs didn't really need a touch up til like 7-8 months later, but my Michelin PS4Ses went black and chipped bad almost immediately despite prepping them well.

Got you. Thanks for the honest analysis.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Powershift posted:

Removed some gasoline. and then the tank

And the remains of the pump

and ugghh

The tank is in quite good shape and if i can save it that's like $350. Same with the fuel ump bracket, $200 there, but i'll have to cut and re-flare one of the lines.

I went at the bracket with some degreaser and a brass brush and it will come fairly clean, i've got it soaking now.

underneath the car looks great. Basically anything that wasn't being caressed by wet grass is quite clean.

I literally froze my rear end laying on cold concrete. i think i need some sort of heating pad, or start getting things much higher in the air to use the creeper.

Looks like your AE86?
Mine came with a brand new tank, which was nice, but it took a few episodes of vapor locking to finally figure out that the vent line was blocked in the pickup causing the mechanical pump (later electric pump installed in my attempts to remedy - remember mine is a carbed SR5) to have to pull against a vacuum eventually.

The mechanical pump also looked new. I suspect it was replaced in an attempt to fix previous to my ownership. Just took poking something through the fitting to clear it, but that was inside at the top of the tank…

wesleywillis posted:

If you can find some big rear end sheets of cardboard, that poo poo is good for getting underneath poo poo and sliding around. Small bit of insulation too.

Cardboard makes a surprisingly good ghetto creeper. Lot easier to slide across than dirt or concrete.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Yeah, I could see where that can be an issue. Was watching a Canadian dude building a budget car shed, and I was really surprised at the disparity when he was quoting US prices after the Canadian ones.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Valt posted:

I finally finished my 383 put together. Its a old school 4 bolt main 350 block with a speedmaster stroke kit in it. It also has camel hump heads on it with new springs and guide plates for roller rockers. Motor has a mild cam https://www.summitracing.com/parts/CCA-CL12-212-2 and it has a old school holley single plane and a double pumper on top. The flat tappet cam survived the 15 minute break in and after we fought a bunch of little problems but once we got it sorted out it started repeating numbers. It was making 351 hp and 440 ft/lbs, it was also making 400+ ft/lbs at 3000 rpm so its basically ready to party at all times!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MCB3Jck5FEo

Nice!

Valt posted:

With 4:10 rear gears and a muncie 4 speed. I think thats the only thing this is going to do lol.

NICE!

I'm not sure when, but I hope to be posting "Dad's '55 Chevy" content before too long. I'd really like to get that old thing going again, and drive it mostly as-is, "as-is" being "literally has sat in a field/backyard for 40 years". Obviously going to be Vice-grip Garage/Junkyard Digs level "restoration" happening before it can even move, but I'm up for it. Eventually it's get a full mechanical once over, as I intend to drive the thing. How many ratty '55s do you see around? Well, I'll have one.
Said '55 *also* has 4.10s and a Muncie (M-20.)

quote="Valt" post="537313702"]
I recently got a new colorado, so I no longer care that its not very nice on the highway. Its really pretty rare that I would make a long trip in the C10. I might change the rear gears just because it may just be undriveable with that much torque and that ratio.

[/quote]

Whoa. A non-Harley chopper!

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

chrisgt posted:

The white stripe tires are actually what it came with originally. They did this to make it look like the car had something bigger than a 13" rim since it brings the perspective outward.

I took it to a concours d'lemons and one of the judges was actually the lead designer from GM in the 2000's (not making that up). He is the one who explained to me why they used white stripe tires; I won an award (slightly better than a gokart) with the car.

I believe it, though I don't think the effect works as well with thin white stripes as opposed to full on wide-whites.
"Slightly better than a gokart" is a good descriptor of the Geo/Chevy Metro, and the Festiva as well.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

chrisgt posted:

ugh that sucks. use a thin coat of coolant-safe permatex on block and pump (or just one and no gasket) and you should be good.

Yeah, that or actual "gasket sealer". I prefer non-hardening. [spoiler]shut up[/spoiler.]

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

New Covercraft seat covers for the Outback. Leather on the bottom bolsters was perished, particularly on the driver's side.

Fitment OK. Looks like I had a bad seam on one shoulder on the passenger side:

But satisfied. About as good as can be expected for slip-on covers vs actual new upholstery.

edit: I should note it was only about 60F when I did these. Probably would have been easier/better fit if it was warmer. I'll be adjusting them if possible when it warms up here.

Also changed the air filter:

....oops. Went a little long on that one, but not *that* dirty:

(new at top.)

Changed out the o-ring on the suction fitting for the PS pump as well, trying to cure a loud whining when cold. I used a generic o-ring, so not sure I got it sealed properly. The suction hose itself was hard as a rock, as was the original o-ring, so ordered a new hose as well as what is hopefully the proper o-ring. A helpful reviewer on the hose pointed to the o-ring, so thanks for that, random Amazon buyer.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

I think I posted about replacing the O-ring for the PS pump suction inlet previously.
If not: I did that using a generic O-ring, discovered that the existing suction hose was no longer rubber, but hard and presumably brittle plastic, and that replacing the O-ring did not fix the noisy pump issue. So I ordered a new aftermarket replacement hose, and a new OEM O-ring.

From my thread:

Darchangel posted:

Got the parts in for the Outback, so time to hopefully fix that.

The old hose literally broke when I cut it and tried to expand it to get it off the nipple on the PS pump.

Also not evidence of the new O-ring leaking - hard to see, but there was fresh fluid at the base of the inlet.

I then pulled the hose off of the reservoir. Thankfully, it came off reasonably easily. I didn't want to be trying to cut the hose while it's attached to a plastic container. However, I wasn't thinking when I pulled the hose.

Thankfully I always have some sort of oil-dry handy.

Uh, yeah, that O-ring didn't go in properly. I'm not sure if it's just entirely the wrong size, or because I couldn't install it straight in due to the hose still being connected. Regardless, that's not ideal for sealing.

Correct O-ring (and cleaned and degreased fitting):

That O-ring fit perfectly, and popped right into the PS pump. $8, but for the actual correct part, I'll take it.

Now, to attend to this dirty, dirty girl

(Reservoir removed for cleaning - of it and the area surrounding.)

Much better.
The PS pump is aluminum! Who knew?

I didn't take any subsequent pictures, but the new aftermarket hose fit perfectly, and more importantly was actually still flexible rubber. Refilled and bled per the factory service manual. It's nice and quiet now, at least that afternoon and evening - my wife commented as much. I'll ask how it did this morning in 47F when I get home from work.

Unrelated, I uncovered my '70 Cutlass to check in the trunk and see if I had left a loaded magazine in the CD changer. I hadn't, but the damned car bit me. See, I opened the hood for the eventuality that I might need to connect up a charger to power up the changer. Oldsmobile, in 1970, mounted the "tooth" that goes between the grilled to the hood that year. They also made it longer that year, and the hood doesn't go up very far, in typical musclecar-era GM fashion. I'm 6' 2". I think you see where this is going.

That motherfucker, right there, poked a hole in my scalp. I used to be used to avoiding that, but it's been a long time since I was in there. Most times I put a chunk of pipe insulation on it when I'm going to be working for a while, but I'm out of the habit.

In other news, the weather is not being kind to this poor thing:

Trunk weatherstrip channel is slowly disintegrating, damnit. Need to finish up the RX-7 then get to work on this thing. Hopefully will have a shop to do so in the next decade...

edit:

PitViper posted:

Yeah, I've had to play that game on Rockauto a lot recently. Two wheel bearings and rotors/pads on my car? One warehouse, $40 or so shipping. Add another rotor/pad set for the other car? Oops now it's 3 warehouses and $115 in shipping. I try and keep a list of things I need soon-ish on my desk, so I can check if anything can get added to a combined order without adding another warehouse to the mix.

There are also indicators when shopping if items in a category are at the same warehouse as something in your cart, so you can, say, spend a bit more on a different manufacturer's part, but ultimately same more than the difference in shipping.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Powershift posted:

coooooooool.

Pretty much everywhere that sells this kit has it listed as the correct part for the car, it is not, i don't know what combination of answers you have to give rockauto for them to correct it, but i apparently did not guess them. There is no way to contact them, they have no customer service. There doesn't even seem to be a way to report an incorrectly listed part.

They're just an absolute last resort now, i guess. I can still use the water pump and belt tensioner so it's only a ~$50 lesson.

I've returned parts to Rock Auto before. The rear strut tops they listed for our Kia were incorrect. Use the "Order Status & Returns" button at the top, then "Report a problem with an order or shipment" or "Get return instructions and shipping label or enter return tracking"

I'm assuming that the shorter belt is the new on - I'd bet that's for a 4AC.

I have both an '87 SOHC AE86 and a '85 DOHC AE86 in my "saved cars" on RA for some reason.

Here's what I get for the "Timing Belt and Component kit":

DAYCO 95070K1 is listed for the SOHC 4AC.

DAYCO 95112K1 is listed for the DOHC.
Seems correct - it's shown as fitting '85-88 MR2 and '88 Chevy Nova, as well, both of which had the 4AGE.

Ah, I see you got the water pump included kit? Only one I see there for the DOHC is US MOTOR WORKS USTK070, whoever the gently caress they are. That one doesn't list the MR2, and list's the '85-88 Nova, which is suspect. Oh, yeah, same part number is listed under the SOHC. Definitely incorrect.

LOL, US Motor Works' own site just says:
Chevrolet Nova 1985-1988 1.6L L4 Cyl 98 CID
Toyota Corolla 1984-1988 1.6L L4 Cyl- CID

which tells you nothing, since both 4AC and 4AGE are 1600s...
Idiots.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Powershift posted:

I found their e-mail on a complaint website and we went back and forth a few times this morning, They've accepted fault and will accept the return and cover shipping but...

The water pump and tensioner pulley work and are already on the car. after shipping, a water pump and pulley alone are more than the price of the kit.

There is nowhere near me that has a water pump or pulley available, Toyota is getting me a timing belt for $77 but the pulley is $380 in their system and not available anyways. The only parts store with a timing belt in their system also had a part number ending in 070 which would be the 4ac belt.

They did the right thing. It's still going to cost me a little more but i'll have a genuine toyota timing belt on it. It would have been a little cheaper overall getting the right parts the first time but I'm happy with the resolution.

I probably didn't even need to replace the water pump but it looks like it was double gasket anyways. The coolant passages i can see, and the old coolant and subsequent flushes look fine. Definitely not toyota red though.

The tensioner pulley was gummed up with belt schmoo so definitely has to go.

Because i've got both power steering and A/C, getting into this stuff is hell and i'd rather not do it again any time soon if i can help it.

This is the last timing cover bolt AFTER removing 3/4 power steering bracket bolts and rotating it out of the way a bit. The 4th bolt would require removal of the A/C compressor.

I knew the car would be an adventure, but drat.

At least with the Lincoln, half the parts were shared with 3 decades of f-250s and various cars. and there's only one variant.

tl:dr: Rock auto made right. Car hopefully on the road this week for the first time since George W Bush was president.

Ah. I haven't done the t-belt on mine, and certainly had no plans to replace anything else. I do find it interesting that the water pump and tensioner are the same for both engines - I guess that's Toyota for you. I mean, the 4AGE is technically a variant of the 4A line, so makes sense.

edit: page snipe. Added quote for context.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Lazily quoting myself in my own thread.
TL, DR:
re-jetted and adjusted idle on the Corolla's Weber, still need to do the main jets (too lean, as it turns out) and painted the rusty wiper arms.
It idles much better now, at least.

Darchangel posted:

Weather was nice and I had a three-day weekend. Time to work on something! I chose to fiddle with the AE86, since I got in the parts I needed.

First up is the phenolic carb spacer I bought to hopefully ease the dieseling the thing does on shutdown, presumably due to the intake and therefore the carb sitting right on top of the exhaust manifold. Like, literally (non-crossflow head.)
Before:

gently caress you, Weber:

Couldn't have made the base a little wider, or the damned filter flange a little smaller, eh?

Then there's this bolt:

Which lives under the accelerator pump, among other things:

That's also going to make it entertaining to install the 12mm longer bolts needed for the spacer.

Got 'em all out, though.

Note the slightly tapered hole, to accommodate the larger secondary bore versus the primary. Mainly means you have to get the gaskets and the spacer on the right way around.

Spacer successfully installed.

I was just able to get the longer bolt in that one corner. If not, I would have cut a bolt down to a stud and used that. One annoyance - locally-available M8 bolts are, of course, 13mm head size rather than the correct 12mm. I hate that.

Once that was done. I moved on to attempting to tune this pig.
I followed directions from Redline (purveyors of this carb) which noted several things you could easily screw up, which is nice. One of the main ones is setting the idle stop too high so that the throttle blades uncover the transfer slot, which completely bypasses the idle mixture circuit. I though I had it right, but cranking the idle mix all the way closed, the car continued to idle, so obviously I had that wrong, or something else was wonky.
I actually left that for another day. that next day, I made absolutely sure the idle stop was at 1 turn from contact, and additionally pulled the idle jets to check them.

Initially I thought the primary idle jet was unmarked and sized it with some tiny drill bits:

but "0.6mm fits and 0.8mm doesn't" still left a pretty wide range of jet sizes it could be. Eventually, I cleaned it with a brass wire brush and was able to make out the very lightly stamped jet size:

60 would be correct for the default jetting on an out-of-the-box DGEV, according to what I found on Ye Olde Internette.
That should also mean the secondary idle jet was 50, but that one truly was unmarked.

Per the idle circuit tuning procedure (idle didn't clear up until 2-1/2+ turns out), the 60 was too lean, which was a surprise to me. I actually had to go up two sizes to a 70 to get the best idle between 1-3/4 and 2-1/4 turns, and it is definitely better. Less stinky, too, so I guess that was from being too lean rather than rich. It never did belch black smoke, so that tracks, I guess.

Box o' jets:

Changing the secondary idle jet to larger seemed to make it worse, so I left that at what was in there, though I had to do some "machining" to make the jets fully seat in the holder:

The idle jets are accessible externally, which is very nice. Main jets are down in the float bowl. You can do these on the car, however. The Weber design means you can just pop the top off of the carb with 6 screws and releasing the choke linkage. Before I get into that, though, Id like to know what it's actually doing, so I previously bought an AEM 30-0300 wideband O2 guage/controller and sensor kit.

Sensor on the 4AC is fairly easy to access, at least:

That's the right side engine mount and steering rack lurking underneath. Don't even have to jack up the car, though there is this power steering pump bracket in the way of accessing it directly from the front on mine. This is where the bracket was (the three clean bolt bosses)

(O2 is behind it looking from the front, O2 off to the left in this picture.) The car was converted to a manual rack by the PO, so I just finally had a reason to delete the bracket, I guess.
Nice straight access:

Of course, neither of the O2 sockets I had would fit due to the proximity of the two bolts in the mounting plate, there, so I had to undo those wo nuts and take the whole thing to the vise to get the O2 out.

Thankfully, it came off easily, and didn't leak when I put it back. O2 came out nicely, too - an advantage mounting it in steel rather than the cast iron directly, I suppose.

I cobbled a cigarette light plug onto the harness for the gauge/controller,

and found a convenient grommet to pass the harness for the sensor into the car, and hooked it all up:

Velcro plus carpet dash cover make for easy mounting and cable management!

It all fired up, and after a moment to let the sensor heat up (during which time the gauge says "heat" and the LEDs around the perimeter count up to done) I got a reading for idle:

It was fluctuating, but around about 13. Not bad. A little rich at idle, but ~*carburetor*~, so not outrageous.

Varying the throttle in neutral didn't look too bad:
http://i.imgur.com/NClBa2B.mp4

Not as wildly as I had assumed. In fact, seemed lean when I got the secondary to open...

This was confirmed with a test drive:
https://i.imgur.com/yN9C8Dx.mp4
(there is sound in both of these videos. Handy for hearing the shift points in the test drive.)

So, yeah, needs a little more primary and maybe a lot more secondary. That would explain why it was accelerating better with less pedal that flooring it. It was gong way lean with the additional air from the secondary. I ran out of time, but eventually I'll need to open it up and see what's in there. Stock jets on the carb should be 140/140. The kit has a 145, 150, and 155. Hope that will be enough. I've read that the primary and secondary should be the same or within 5 of each other.

Onward and upward.

While I was fiddling with the carb, I also went to change out the wiper blades, and decided I couldn't stand the rusty wiper arms any more.
Pulled the driver's side arm (with the aid of a small gear puller) and noticed:

Huh.

Does that mean...
Yeah.

Well, that would explain why the arms had previously contacted the hood (note the huge gouge in the pot metal.)

They are definitely different:

Some wire wheeling and sandpaper later:

primer:

paint:

Gouges sanded out relatively smooth:

Certainly less noticeable when all black.

Nut storage:

[spoiler[this is mainly to remind myself where I put them when I inevitably can't find them later[/spoiler]

The PO-installed (as I recall - I don't *think* I replaced them, though if I did, I just measured what was there) were two seperate sizes:

Rock Auto spec'd (2) 18" blades, so that's what I got. Looks like what was there was 17" and 19", possibly because of the arms being incorrect?
I guess I'll see when I put them back, after the paint cures a couple days.

A reasonably fulfilling venture, on the whole.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

His Divine Shadow posted:

Last night I finally welded up the rust hole in the mazda 6. I notice where it rusted out there is a hole on the bottom/side that will let water and crap into the beam structure, but I can see no drain hole. When I cut away the rust I had so much debris logged in there, no wonder it rusted out. But why! Why have those holes there?

Also I wonder if I am really bad at welding or if I can start blaming my mig welder, but it sure turned out ugly lumpy mess even after I ground down the worst. The welder is so inconsistent from weld to weld. I wonder if the ground cable is broken still, I've gone through the handle and cleaned out the liner and got new rollers for the feeder, it feeds very well. I cut off a part of the ground cable when I got it as it looked to be in bad shape but maybe the whole cable needs replacing. Or it's just me.

Using straight co2 might get some blame but I didn't do much better with mixgas, I think they act similar enough.

Motronic posted:

That's a really good point. If that used to be a flux core box it's probably set to DCEN and a mig torch should be positive.

nth-ing this. I use straight C02 and it works OK. It's a little "hot" for thin stuff, making it difficult to not blow through, but still welds fine on thicker steel. That might be part of your problem? I end up with decent welds on the 18-or-so gauge in the floorboards of my RX-7, but not the best. It's always a dance between wire speed and power. I envy the newer Millers and such where you just tell it what you're welding and it figures out what should work best, and you can go from there.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Commodore_64 posted:

Do you have a 3d printer? I have recently used my resin printer to make some molds for casting urethane bushings, I bet a seal like this would be fairly easy to pull off. Digitize it with a phone and model it, you can even make improvements lol.

You don't even need to make molds and cast. TPU works pretty good for rubber-like gaskets and such. I used it to make a tether for the gas cap on our Outback to replace the original (which was just regular somewhat-flexible plastic. the TPU is better.)

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Commodore_64 posted:

Like Darchangel said, you can directly print in TPU, a rubberlike filament available in different durometers.

Such as:
Outback fuel cap retainer:

Apparently I didn't take a picture, but it worked a treat, and continues to work about a year later.

Gasket for the license plate light rear camera mount I designed for my Crown Vic:

TPU is "thermoplastic urethane", so plenty flexible, but not spongy. A good solid rubber replacement, not so much for foamed rubber.

wallaka posted:

https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PL7MvJcb2I6mbRrVclnr2BZbQpZP19xna-&si=jaaQMZuO3xKgyJzF

This guy does it in one of these videos but I can't remember which one. All of the videos are worth a watch anyway, great stuff. His fiero restoration is nice to watch too.

Hah! I knew that was Ronald Finger before I even clicked on it. :D
He's the guy who gave me the idea.

WTFBEES posted:

Lowering a Miata's driving position by a total of 4 or 5 inches is wild and rules.

That might actually let me fit in a Miata, especially if it allowed me to move back a bit, too.

the spyder posted:

Dragged home yet another project for my Dad today.

1937 Cadillac LaSalle, 17k original miles. I'll add the story in my thread, but TL:DR - Carb fire, took to a shop, Owner passed, son wanted nothing to do with it, shop put it outside disassembled.

gently caress that shop for doing that. That's just unconscionable.

heffray posted:

Tried to combine some tasks: 2/3 installs went well, one thing is stuck. Main task: install remote clutch bleeder in the C5, because it's very challenging to bleed, and I doubt it's been done on this car. Clutch material tends to work its way into the fluid and cause the pedal to fail to come up on fast 2-3 shifts, and I'm guessing the fluid is mostly water after being ignored for 20 years. Fluid is definitely dark. Secondary projects while I get to that: insulate the tunnel plate separating the exhaust from the torque tube and cabin, and replace the midpipe with an X-pipe crossover.

Exhaust: measure and cut behind the secondary O2s (keep the stock stuff in front of that), slide on and clamp. The X-pipe crossover should sound smoother and more exotic, and this setup from NXT Step (fka Granatelli) seems well made and was $200 cheaper than an equivalent Borla. The stock H-pipe crossover is closed off except for a 1/2" diam hole in the crossover pipe, and still results in drone at highway speeds. I'll be keeping the stock titanium mufflers and headers due to CARB limitations: there are shorty headers, but paying $800 for 7whp is an awful deal.

Added foil reflective insulation to the bottom (facing exhaust) side of the tunnel plate, and bubble wrap + foil insulation on the top side. There are $200 replacement panels for this and $100+ pre-cut insulation kits, but I have scissors and this was $20 of materials from Amazon. I don't know if it'll do anything, but it was cheap and convenient to try.

And, the Problem: it seems the Tick Performance remote clutch bleed kit was not designed to be installed in a car with its drivetrain in place. I've been able to snug up the fitting replacing the stock bleeder by twisting the hose and just barely getting a crowsfoot wrench on extensions on it, but can't really apply torque to it. Common strategies for this include not attempting it until everything's out for a clutch job, cutting a 6x6" hole in the floor of the car for access, welding up a custom wrench, or stacking a bunch of weird adapters to apply a wrench to the fitting. I'm attempting the last one, with some offset box end wrenches and flex shaft extensions on their way to see what I can make work.

Nice double post. :P
I love stuff on cars that's designed to be assembled, on an assembly line, and apparently never touched again.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

opengl posted:

Car-adjacent (hey I tow it with my car!) just wrapped up a new trailer build for bike hauling duty.

Last year I was running a little 4x6, it was just barely long enough for my 390.

With plans for a bigger track bike and wanting to be able to haul my other bikes should I need to, I sold that and picked up a 4x8. It was cheap because it came with a boat and nobody wanted to buy both. I was able to sell the boat pretty quickly so I'm only into the trailer for $100. I like these little utility trailers, they're nice and low so loading isn't sketchy, and light too which is important since I tow with my old Vibe.

It was a bare frame, no floor which is what I wanted anyway so I could build it up just how I wanted. Not in bad shape overall, just some light surface rust and as usual for used trailers, junk wiring and lights.

Stripped off the lights and wiring and gave it a quick wire wheel/spray bomb

Rebuilt the coupler (which was also junk and barely worked) and added a jack

Rewired and new LED tails/marker lights

New deck on, went with 5/4 pressure treated deck boards. Used carriage bolts at the front and rear and wood to metal screws at the crossmembers

Wrapping up: bolted down a wheel chock and plenty of e-track so I'm not married to any tie down points

Made the inaugural run last night picking up my new track bike, it towed great and the bike was rock solid

I still have a few little things to tidy up but it's more or less ready for track season.

Hey new-to-you trailer buddy!
Mine was a little rougher:

(the little one on the big one. The big one was my Dad's, now my sister's.)

Parts and tools:

This wheel's lug nuts were too much for my Ryobi cordless impact, in addition to the perished tire making things difficult.

Solution was to beat and pry the tire off, strap the wheel down, and get after it with a breaker bar.

Tah-dah!

The original fender (intended for the original 5.70-8 tires - these are 5.30-12 - even fits. Not sure if I will use them, though. They are a bit close.

I did a quicky bearing repack (they were in decent shape despite sitting for who know how long,) strapped on the Harbor Freight light kit, and boom!

...then I drove 20 minutes into town because it's an 1-7/8" ball and all I and my sister had handy were 2" balls. :negative:

But after that, no y problema:

~waves hands~ you do not see the lack of license plate ~waves hands~
I need to register it in my county, which is not where it was. No serial number or manufacturer plate, aside from the axle, so it will be "home built".

That's a torsion axle, BTW, which is pretty neat:

Paint, decking, and sides to come later.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

wesleywillis posted:

You and your sister know how big each other's balls are?
drat!!

We're very close.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Neat. By the same token, I learned that the two injectors in an '80s Ford CFI (Central Fuel Injection, AKA throttle body injection) use the standard Bosch form factor, unlike GM's TBI, and are quite large, since there's just the two for a 5L V8.
I don't have my spreadsheet handy, but the internet says 46 or 52 pounds per hour depending on the color/part number. I picked up 8 to replace the tiny injectors that came with the Cadillac/Olds EFI I picked up years ago. Swapping the o-rings to the ones from the Cadillac and they pop right in. Of course, injectors are a lot cheaper now than they were a decade (or two - I've had this gear for a while) ago.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

ThirstyBuck posted:

Anyone here use a mid-rise lift?

Such as https://www.bendpak.com/car-lifts/mid-rise-scissor-lifts/md-6xp/

I nearly went for a set of quick jacks but I still wanted something that would get me higher off of the floor. I have a 10 foot ceiling so I have room to go higher but not two post lift higher. It seems like a good middle ground apart from obstructing some of the center section under the car and needing to build a platform around it.

I don't like those because they block literally anything between the axles. No exhaust or (RWD) transmission work using them.

Motronic posted:

I was never clear on the use cases for those. Can't pull the transmission, probably can't drop a motor either, can't do exhaust. It's like a very expensive lift for changing tires and doing suspension work.

Exactly!

Galler posted:

I have no experience with those or with Max Jax but they're another option for a not full height lift. Max Jax likely requires a bit of concrete work but doesn't obstruct the bottom of the vehicle and might be easier to tuck away.

This is what I keep eyeballing, but the Quick Jack is also portable. I mean, so is the MaxJax technically, but you can use the Quick Jack in the driveway, parking lot, whatever without sinking anchor bolts.

Powershift posted:

I can get the toyota about 2 feet up pretty quickly. Drive onto ramps, jack up the rear up to it's max, and then jack the front up.

The Lincoln takes a bunch more work because when the front is on stands the back bumper is nearly touching the ground.

Not to mention the front crossmember of rear axle are like 3' from the end of the car... Good luck having room to move the handle. :P

opengl posted:

I actually almost got one of those HF trailers before the one I bought popped up. I've heard they're a bit of a wet noodle unless you weld them up, confirm/deny?

Little bit, yeah. There are a few different weight classes, too. The biggest gripe I have is that they are 4' x 8'. Exactly, since they are designed to use a single 4x8 sheet as the deck. That means that if you have sides and a tailgate on it, hauling more 4x8 sheets is a pain in the rear end. The one I used to borrow, the friend that owned it ended up spacing the supplied stake pockets out about 1/2" with wood blocks, and just leaving a small gap between the sides and the deck all the way around. Not only allowed 4x8 sheets, but you could sneak a tie down through the gap and hook it on the frame down low for shorter stuff with the sides on.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Powershift posted:

4.5 feet.

It's 19 foot long car with a 10 foot wheel base.

My solution was obviously 5 foot long jacks.

Obviously.

Steve French posted:

I have only towed it empty and with a ~300 lb snowblower on it, and that with a lifted Bronco. I have no idea based on that experience, to be honest. It seems reasonably sturdy right now with the 3/4" plywood bolted onto it, at least for any load I plan to put on it (mainly the sled)

I got the beefiest one, so that might have something to do with it. I haven't put sides on it, and don't plan to, so have no direct experience but they are at least on the sides of the trailer so they should fit 4x8 sheets if I put up sides as long as they weren't built to the inside of the stake pockets, though probably a tight fit.

That’s the thing: the plywood for the sides usually goes on the inside so it will clear the fenders, giving you just under 4’ in width.

And yeah, good decking helps with rigidity.

They’re OK. I hauled an unreasonably large number of paving stones with one. The trailer handled it, but it managed to push my Jeep Cherokee out into the intersection first time I tried to stop. Brakes were fine but tires weren’t up to it on the lightweight Jeep.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

lol.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

I've been taking apart the front right drive joint. I got a new ball joint and a new CV joint to fit. And other ideas.

Start by removing the brake caliper. Pinch off the brake hose and cover the end says the Saab manual.

The calipers came off quite easily, and so did the brake disc itself.

Between that picture and the next it had been quite a while, had to fight quite hard against the bolts in the upper wishbone. I want the entire hub removed so I am removing both ball joints.

The one thing the manual does not tell me is the order of operations for removing the brake shield. It looks like the hub needs to be further disassembled.

Here is also the new ball joint near the old worn out one. The upper ball joint feels pretty good in comparison

The brakes then, the pins slide easily and the gaiters are intact, feel flexible and healthy, I don't think they need to be replaced.

Now I forgot to take a picture of the piston's face but it looked quite "gnarly" so a new piston might be needed but maybe it can be saved... I have taken out the brake calipers because I thought I would run all the parts in an electrolysis bath.

I also want to do the same with the brake shield, paint it and try to extend its life. Maybe the hub itself could also benefit from electrolysis while I am at it. Feels like I should make the most of this while I got it apart.

Ooo, a lathe and a mill! Want.

I'm not sure from context if you intend to take that apart or not first, but I don't think the bearings in the hub are going to be happy in an electrolysis bath if you weren't intending to further disassemble. Otherwise, go for it. Electrolytic rust removal is chemistry magic. So neat to go in with rusty junk and pull out basically new steel and iron.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Literally all they had to do was put a gap in it large enough to clear the hub. I guess you could do that yourself...

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Built this piece of poo poo over the weekend to try and force out the lower ball joint, didn't work, too flexible.

I got informed the best way to make these let go is to actually shock it from the side instead. I tried doing that but without luck. Eventually I took the whole hub to my anvil and rested the other side of the ball joint mount on the anvil, then I whacked it with my forging hammer and it plopped out. Argh the frustration of not having done this straight away!

They make tools like that that are forged. I don't recall exactly where I got mine, but they are on Amazon. Seem to work OK.

Basically this:
https://www.amazon.com/GEARWRENCH-3916D-Universal-Joint-Separator/dp/B003YVWHOE

There's also this style:
https://www.amazon.com/Astro-Tools-78912-Profile-Separator/dp/B01JBJS80E

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

honda whisperer posted:

Hell yeah! YouTube certified mechanic stickers are a thing.

Factory service manuals are available and will cover every nut bolt and washer on your car. Then theyre just giant adult Legos.

Mine is “internet certified “ in the style of the ASME mechanics logo, but I have the t-shirt!

Kvantum posted:

I literally said that last part to myself as I was replacing the last bulb. It's just like my computers. Nothing more than a big adult LEGO kit.

Basically, but like computers, some stuff is more esoteric if you haven’t seen it before. And sometime not logical in the context of anything but cars. Sometimes not then, even!
Studying manuals and looking up a tutorial or two usually gets it, though. I’m 63 and have been wrenching since I as a kid and still have to look stuff up sometimes.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Speaking of manuals, just in case someone doesn't know, I have a whole lot of manuals for Mazda rotary cars (some of which I personally scanned, cleaned up, and PDF'd myself) on my personal site here, and fellow goon Sgt. Fox has most if not all of them as well on his site.

edit: pretty sure most of RADL knows these two sites, but just in case. Folks new to dorito motors are a thing.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

MrOnBicycle posted:

Dude I love your site. The old school shittiness (meant in the nicest way possible!) is rad and sorely missed in todays streamline big corporation web.

I'll scan my 1965 Dodge Dart Manual when I get some free time, and I might even make a similar lovely (i.e awesome) website for it. I don't think there is MY1965 manual that I've found... at least last time I checked a year ago or so.

Bajaha posted:

+1

Hit me with that nostalgia baby, awe yessssssssss.

LOL. Yeah, it's staying like that. I lost interest in web design long ago. You're lucky it doesn't still have a pageview counter...
It was fairly easy when I had a copy of Adobe Dreamweaver CS4 courtesy of work, but that stopped working years ago with macOS updates.

I'm definitely keeping it up as long as I can. There's a dearth of repositories for this kind of info, certainly for other marques. It's all gotten hidden and monetized. I've had to resort to paying for the manuals for my Subaru and Crown Vic, and for the Cherokee I had. I did find the FSM for the AE86, but it's missing some stuff, I think. Electrical is usually separate, for example. On the Crown Vic, I ended up buy a paper manual for the wiring diagram. Literally no one has a PDF available. Thankfully found it cheap on eBay.

Used ATE brake grease on the pins and cylinder. I dunno if this is supposed to be used only on the cylinder but I'll be hosed if I am buying two types of grease for this.

Man, I feel that.
Looking good! I love making greasy nasty parts look decent again.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Verman posted:

Ugh. The ac is out on both of my vehicles. 08 4Runner with 212k and my 06 Prius with 102k. We're expecting a kid in August and my wife is insistent on having working ac, with good reason.

The Prius I'm almost certain is a bad compressor meaning it needs a new condenser etc and I've read the fix is long and painful, or expensive if you pay someone else to do it. It makes a not-so-great noise when the ac kicks on.

The 4runner, I'm not sure yet but it leaks. I recharged it a few years ago. I'm going to test the relay, then the compressor. If it's the compressor ... New condenser etc as well. I'm hoping it was just that I didn't put quite enough in. If the compressor seems fine, I might take it in to get a leak detection done.

Lord help me. Ac issues almost make me want to accept a monthly payment on a new car/s.

Probably a minor leak on the 4Runner. Definitely get some UV dye in there, or, as you say, have a leak test done.
Prius is a bit more complex - I believe the compressor is electric, so it is entirely possible that its motor is dying. You only need a new condenser etc. if the compressor has actually self destructed or is starting to. That would mean chunks have been released into the system, which is detrimental to future performance. You generally just need a new drier if/when the system is opened to change out compressors, o-rings, etc.

wesleywillis posted:

To quote a whole bunch of mechanics, and also hvac people "it's almost never the compressor"

until it is. But usually, that's obvious.

Imperador do Brasil posted:

Background - my wife is probably a little dyslexic and one time she spelled my car’s brand as seen in the license plate below, and when I asked her wtf she was talking about, she asked the question in the frame.

Inside joke, yes, but it’s an easy way to make fun of my wife! (Who puts up with my poo poo with the utmost grace)

Love it.

I've got "Relax, I'm not a cop" on my Crown Vic's license frame.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Stupid question: can you get the other bolt loose so you can remove the shims (I note that they have open slots so the bolt does not have to be completely removed), and maybe get the control arm mount out of the way? That way you can get locking pliers on the remaining bolt shank.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Motronic posted:

Smoke test

Sometimes that evap leak code actually is the gas cap?

Sometimes it is!
Ratchet mechanism on the gas cap for my Crown Vic failed, so I couldn’t tighten it.

bird with big dick posted:

Why is your fuel door so filthy. Disgusting.

Out of sight, out of mind. I have to remember to clean mine every so often.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

KakerMix posted:

worked so hard today

5/10 - you didn't paint the lettering white. I am disappointed.