Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

KakerMix posted:

White letters out, right?

Not this time. White letters out on an off-road minivan from 2008 just doesn't look as good. I forgot to even mention it before they were done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

His Divine Shadow posted:

Yeah I know I saw one at my local hardware chainstore and said 6 euros for that, fuuuck you.

Since the concept seems to be working out I might get one anyway.

Amazon, if it is available to you.

Night Danger Moose posted:

Fiancee drove up to PA yesterday to pick up fresh(er) seats and steering wheel for the SHO-swapped wagon. We had to do a cold start on it to move it so we could put them in the back so of course I had to get a video.

https://i.imgur.com/MpkeYjs.mp4

That is NOT what one expects to come out of a Taurus wagon. Excellent.

KakerMix posted:

White letters out, right?

Beat me to it.

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Big Q's House of Pancakes

Fun Shoe

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
I don't care for white letters out.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

wesleywillis posted:

I don't care for white letters out.

I’ll quote myself from every thread where this comes up, black letters out are how god intended it!

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Imperador do Brasil posted:

I’ll quote myself from every thread where this comes up, black letters out are how god intended it!

Then why are the white letters even there, hmm? Are you suggesting God wastes white letters like that? You are perverting nature.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

KakerMix posted:

5 brand new KO2s are going on it, the spare is exposed on this so you know I've got to have that with the white letters too. Before when I'd order KO2s I'd take the time to make sure whatever size I was ordering had white letters as not all KO2s do, and the white letters are almost the entire reason why I like them so much. This time though:

About time that BFGoodrich understands that white letters rule. :colbert:

BF Goodrich has declared white letters out is how it's supposed to be. Ergo, the correct way, and that's before you get to the (rightfully) already pointed out aspect that they exist at all.

Really, do what you want it's your car. Just know that you are wrong, boring, traditional and uncool.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
And sometimes you have to correct the company's mistakes, but that's ok.

Now the white letters both exist and are out as is good and correct.

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Fun Shoe
I love my Hoosier drag radials with the white letters out. They look so rad.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Who would have thought a company would put popping white letters on marketing material?

KakerMix posted:

Really, do what you want it's your car. Just know that you are wrong, boring, traditional and uncool.

Emphasis on the first part. I'm fine being the other things. :v:

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

KakerMix posted:

BF Goodrich has declared white letters out is how it's supposed to be. Ergo, the correct way, and that's before you get to the (rightfully) already pointed out aspect that they exist at all.

Oh I don’t even have any tires with white letters as an option. I like to stir this pot every time it comes up since some folk get real ornery about it.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Oh I don’t even have any tires with white letters as an option. I like to stir this pot every time it comes up since some folk get real ornery about it.

Can I get your opinion on chili before I decide how much of a monster you are? :P
Tell me about hot dogs are related to sandwiches, too.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Darchangel posted:

Can I get your opinion on chili before I decide how much of a monster you are? :P
Tell me about hot dogs are related to sandwiches, too.

Chili should have beans but I’m not gonna argue if it doesn’t as long as the spices are right. I’m a bean-chili centrist.

I nothing hot dogs.

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Fun Shoe

Picked up this piece for the winter today. Ordered new tires (I don't think they have a white letter option, I'll use the pen on them), a timing belt/water pump kit, new cv axles,battery, plugs and wires. The brakes seem a little soft too, but it was getting late. Put it on the smart charger and waiting for the snow to start again.

EvilBeard fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Jan 19, 2024

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Suburban Dad posted:

Who would have thought a company would put popping white letters on marketing material?

They never used to, is the point. That's a change in the last year with their marketing material, hence why I would always check because one time I ordered a set for a HiAce we had and those KO2s did not have the "raised white letter" option. I've bought so many of these tires that I made it a habit to always check, JUST IN CASE. Now I guess I don't have to!

And bonus spot while on the north side of Japan:

and today I just received the last of the documents to finish importing this and should have it at the start of February:

Which of course I will be putting on a set of white-letters-out KO2s. I honestly don't think there is a situation where they look bad, ever. I wasn't sure how they'd look on that 84 Pajero in that vomit of pictures I just posted, but looks awesome.

What WON'T be getting white letters on it is this which is coming at the same time as the short body Hilux:

1989 Toyota Levin GT-Z, supercharged 4A-GZE wearing a new set of Potenzas which are insane overkill for it but hey, I bet I can take corners far faster than I should in it.

IN CLOSING, Always White Letters, Always.

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

a fresh set of Comp T/A's on your bitchin whatever and some westleys bleche wite to make the white letters (out of course) pop was the sickest poo poo in the 90's. I got one of those wilderness model subarus now and the white letter yokohamas really do it for me.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

This is still by far my favorite truck I've seen that you've sold. It's just perfect in every way.

KakerMix posted:

By my deeds I honor you: BFG White Letters Out

Night Danger Moose
Jan 5, 2004

YO SOY FIESTA

Motronic posted:

BFG White Letters Out gang :hfive: these are now my winter tires as I run MPS4S in the summer

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:
white out!

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

KakerMix posted:

They never used to, is the point. That's a change in the last year with their marketing material, hence why I would always check because one time I ordered a set for a HiAce we had and those KO2s did not have the "raised white letter" option. I've bought so many of these tires that I made it a habit to always check, JUST IN CASE. Now I guess I don't have to!

And bonus spot while on the north side of Japan:

and today I just received the last of the documents to finish importing this and should have it at the start of February:

Which of course I will be putting on a set of white-letters-out KO2s. I honestly don't think there is a situation where they look bad, ever. I wasn't sure how they'd look on that 84 Pajero in that vomit of pictures I just posted, but looks awesome.

What WON'T be getting white letters on it is this which is coming at the same time as the short body Hilux:

1989 Toyota Levin GT-Z, supercharged 4A-GZE wearing a new set of Potenzas which are insane overkill for it but hey, I bet I can take corners far faster than I should in it.

Motronic posted:

Doing God's work.
If I get around to lifting the Outback, the next set of tires will have white letters. Maybe even if I don't lift it.

BFG White Letters Out gang :hfive: these are now my winter tires as I run MPS4S in the summer

Nice. Paint pen?

chrisgt posted:

white out!

....no.
Sorry, now we've hit my point of intolerance: I hate white stipe tires, with very few exceptions. White walls, appropriately used, fine, but thin white stripes just look cheap.

edit: but if I'm honest, it works in an ironic fashion on something like that Metro.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Darchangel posted:

Doing God's work.
If I get around to lifting the Outback, the next set of tires will have white letters. Maybe even if I don't lift it.

Nice. Paint pen?

....no.
Sorry, now we've hit my point of intolerance: I hate white stipe tires, with very few exceptions. White walls, appropriately used, fine, but thin white stripes just look cheap.

edit: but if I'm honest, it works in an ironic fashion on something like that Metro.

Those look like period correct white walls to me

Night Danger Moose
Jan 5, 2004

YO SOY FIESTA

Darchangel posted:

Nice. Paint pen?

Yeah, I use the TireStickers dot com pens, they're pretty solid. Can't remember if I did 2 or 3 coats on those ones, probably 3.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Yeah, I use the TireStickers dot com pens, they're pretty solid. Can't remember if I did 2 or 3 coats on those ones, probably 3.

Neat, thanks. Have you got a feel for how long they last before you have to refresh the lettering?

Night Danger Moose
Jan 5, 2004

YO SOY FIESTA

Darchangel posted:

Neat, thanks. Have you got a feel for how long they last before you have to refresh the lettering?

Feels like it depends on the tire. The BFGs didn't really need a touch up til like 7-8 months later, but my Michelin PS4Ses went black and chipped bad almost immediately despite prepping them well.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Feels like it depends on the tire. The BFGs didn't really need a touch up til like 7-8 months later, but my Michelin PS4Ses went black and chipped bad almost immediately despite prepping them well.

Got you. Thanks for the honest analysis.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

Motronic posted:

This is still by far my favorite truck I've seen that you've sold. It's just perfect in every way.

I wholeheartedly agree. This is my favorite of all the vehicles that came through. The color is absolutely perfect. It's clean. The branding is clean. I would drive that all day every day.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Removed some gasoline. and then the tank

And the remains of the pump

and ugghh

The tank is in quite good shape and if i can save it that's like $350. Same with the fuel ump bracket, $200 there, but i'll have to cut and re-flare one of the lines.

I went at the bracket with some degreaser and a brass brush and it will come fairly clean, i've got it soaking now.

underneath the car looks great. Basically anything that wasn't being caressed by wet grass is quite clean.

I literally froze my rear end laying on cold concrete. i think i need some sort of heating pad, or start getting things much higher in the air to use the creeper.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Powershift posted:

and ugghh

The tank is in quite good shape and if i can save it that's like $350. Same with the fuel ump bracket, $200 there, but i'll have to cut and re-flare one of the lines.

I went at the bracket with some degreaser and a brass brush and it will come fairly clean, i've got it soaking now.

underneath the car looks great. Basically anything that wasn't being caressed by wet grass is quite clean.

I literally froze my rear end laying on cold concrete. i think i need some sort of heating pad, or start getting things much higher in the air to use the creeper.

If you can find some big rear end sheets of cardboard, that poo poo is good for getting underneath poo poo and sliding around. Small bit of insulation too.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Powershift posted:

and ugghh

Looks like your AE86?
Mine came with a brand new tank, which was nice, but it took a few episodes of vapor locking to finally figure out that the vent line was blocked in the pickup causing the mechanical pump (later electric pump installed in my attempts to remedy - remember mine is a carbed SR5) to have to pull against a vacuum eventually.

The mechanical pump also looked new. I suspect it was replaced in an attempt to fix previous to my ownership. Just took poking something through the fitting to clear it, but that was inside at the top of the tank…

wesleywillis posted:

If you can find some big rear end sheets of cardboard, that poo poo is good for getting underneath poo poo and sliding around. Small bit of insulation too.

Cardboard makes a surprisingly good ghetto creeper. Lot easier to slide across than dirt or concrete.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Yeah, it's the 86. I'm going to try to flush everything out pretty well, I'm assuming the injectors are gonked too.

Shipping and exchange rate is making me re-think a lot of parts. I'm going to try to save as much as i can.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Yeah, I could see where that can be an issue. Was watching a Canadian dude building a budget car shed, and I was really surprised at the disparity when he was quoting US prices after the Canadian ones.

Valt
May 14, 2006

Oh HELL yeah.
Ultra Carp
I finally finished my 383 put together. Its a old school 4 bolt main 350 block with a speedmaster stroke kit in it. It also has camel hump heads on it with new springs and guide plates for roller rockers. Motor has a mild cam https://www.summitracing.com/parts/CCA-CL12-212-2 and it has a old school holley single plane and a double pumper on top. The flat tappet cam survived the 15 minute break in and after we fought a bunch of little problems but once we got it sorted out it started repeating numbers. It was making 351 hp and 440 ft/lbs, it was also making 400+ ft/lbs at 3000 rpm so its basically ready to party at all times!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MCB3Jck5FEo

no lube so what
Apr 11, 2021

Valt posted:

I finally finished my 383 put together. Its a old school 4 bolt main 350 block with a speedmaster stroke kit in it. It also has camel hump heads on it with new springs and guide plates for roller rockers. Motor has a mild cam https://www.summitracing.com/parts/CCA-CL12-212-2 and it has a old school holley single plane and a double pumper on top. The flat tappet cam survived the 15 minute break in and after we fought a bunch of little problems but once we got it sorted out it started repeating numbers. It was making 351 hp and 440 ft/lbs, it was also making 400+ ft/lbs at 3000 rpm so its basically ready to party at all times!

baller

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Fun Shoe

Valt posted:

awesome. Now do a burnout.

Valt
May 14, 2006

Oh HELL yeah.
Ultra Carp

EvilBeard posted:

awesome. Now do a burnout.

With 4:10 rear gears and a muncie 4 speed. I think thats the only thing this is going to do lol.

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Fun Shoe

Valt posted:

With 4:10 rear gears and a muncie 4 speed. I think thats the only thing this is going to do lol.

I've really been looking into getting a winters quick change for my 57 so I can swap it out at the track and have decent highway gears.

Valt
May 14, 2006

Oh HELL yeah.
Ultra Carp

EvilBeard posted:

I've really been looking into getting a winters quick change for my 57 so I can swap it out at the track and have decent highway gears.

I recently got a new colorado, so I no longer care that its not very nice on the highway. Its really pretty rare that I would make a long trip in the C10. I might change the rear gears just because it may just be undriveable with that much torque and that ratio.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Just used my new fluid pump for an oil change with great success. The only thing that sucked is that I was sick for the first three weeks of the year, so I'm laughably out of shape and pumping that thing sucked. This pump has a connector for an air compressor, so I might buy a gallon sized one for future jobs.