Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

chrisgt posted:

To me, the strap wrench kind is wildly ineffective. The reason I generally can't remove a filter is because I can't get my meathook around the thing. Thus there is no room for the strap wrench style.

Try one of these:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

Outrail posted:

Is this a DIY thing or does it have a name?

I always called it a strap oil filter remover, but calling it a nylon strap oil filter remover should sift out the other ones.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

IOwnCalculus posted:

This is poo poo they managed to do stock. I don't know how but GM builds absolutely poop-quality starters and runs the exhaust way too close to them, and then spent way too long not putting a relay on the starter circuit. Headers just make the problem worse but it was there all along.
Wrapping the headers improved my hot starting.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

Carb rebuild

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

Mmm. Thick and drippy.

Axle seal had lost a little flexibility

Brake shoes aren't supposed to look like that

Hopefully braking will be much improved.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

The single most important gauge on this old car is the water temperature gauge, which didn't work, so got a cheapo gauge to get it running.

Finally pulled the gauge. The capillary tube was broken right at the gauge.

Had to build an adapter to go from the remains of the original tube to the smaller tube on the sacrificial water temp gauge.

With the sensor bulb in a salt water and ice bath to keep the ether in the bulb, cut and soldered the new tube into the gauge, and ... test.

Totally jazzed that it works. May try to adjust it to a bit more accurate tomorrow.
e: or just rotate the face to the correct position.

joat mon fucked around with this message at 07:57 on Aug 19, 2022

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

chrisgt posted:

That's really cool, i had no idea you could fix those! did you have to add any new ether, or did it just work?

The ether in the old one was long gone. A new generic gauge donated its capillary tube, bulb and ether to the cause. The saltwater/ice bath kept the ether in the bulb while I cut/cleaned/soldered the new tube into the back of the gauge. I could smell that some ether was lost when I cut it (just the vapor left in the tube), but no need to top it off - the precise amount of liquid ether in the system has no effect on accuracy.

Motronic posted:

It could be a thimbleful, it could be a tanker truck full. That's just how physics works. No matter how much or how little of a liquid you have its vapor pressure is constant at a given temperature.
There's a repair method that doesn't need a sacrificial water temp gauge, where you fix your old tube/bulb and then refill it with ether, but I think it's more of a pain - this way is worth the $25 for a generic gauge.

chrisgt posted:

If you rotate the face, you'll lose the oil pressure calibration, if you can even rotate it due to having two needles.
There is a locating tab on the face that matches a notch on the outer shell of the gauge. It wasn't in place for the first test picture. Properly aligned for the second, it was dead on. The 59 year old gauge ended up being more accurate than the new gauge that contributed its tube/bulb/ether.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

That looks fantastic.

Replaced a cheap fuel pump

with a slightly less cheap fuel pump

No more fuel starvation issue!

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

Drained and resoldered my fuel sender float. So far it's holding.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

My car got into a calendar today!

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

Replaced ignition coil and spark plug wires that were somewhere between 15 and 25 years old and sanded the distributor contacts, which:
Fixed intermittent stumble on acceleration, sometimes bad.
Fixed off-idle surging.
Fixed intermittent backfiring with hot exhaust and light throttle
Got noticeably better butt dyno readings
Unexpectedly got the rear end to beak loose at the same throttle input as before.
A good fix.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

My first try forming fiberglass. Very happy to be switching to a mechanical fan.

joat mon fucked around with this message at 04:08 on May 20, 2023

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

It looks great!

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

In my continuing quest for adequate engine cooling, put the heater core from a Ford L-series truck in front of the radiator and ran the heater lines from the water pump to it.

It works!
Before, with temperatures in the 70s-80s and speeds over 40 or so, it would be overheating (230+ degrees) within 10 miles.
Just took it for a 25 mile drive, including a spirited curvy 15 mile section, with temps in the upper 80s and coolant temps stayed between 205 and 215.
Next, adequate driver cooling.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

Weirdest thing to have to run to the tractor parts store for in order to finish fixing your turn signal switch:
Cotton picker spindle grease

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

No. 6 posted:

Uhh, what kind of grease?
Cotton pickin' cotton picker spindle grease

Those little spikes
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wr4Jpu8nPMI
That also spin individually in addition to rotating around the drum.

(It's just NLGI 00 grease, but it's marketed for cotton pickers)

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

Raluek posted:

went offroading with it this weekend!

this trail doesn't look like much, and technically it's a long-rear end driveway to some fairly remote property, but it was a challenge! one slightly wrong tire placement and i smack the headers or oil pan into the ground. i'll have to measure its minimum clearance, but i think it's around 2" (bottom of headers to ground).

near the top of the hill where this photo was taken, the path is still fairly well maintained, but further down it's got tons of ruts and washouts from water runoff. hell, even on the maintained (gravel) highway this connects to, i scraped once or twice when i wasn't careful.

i really need to fix my jeep so i stop doing poo poo like this to my car, lmao
That's a good pic of a drat fine looking car. It looks right at home there.

NitroSpazzz posted:

:perfect: Alternatively you could get a little more ground clearance and some meaty tires

Darchangel posted:

That's what I was going to say. A vintage Baja 1000-style Javelin would be sweet.
Wouldn't mind doing something similar to the '71 Cutlass parts car I have. It's got some accident damage, and now missing body parts, so...

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I can see!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

That looks really good!