Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE
Found all the things the collision center hosed up.

Did you know you could fix an exhaust leak by stripping out the factory flange, then putting a nut and bolt through the remains of the hole. Much easier then replacing the 1/2 of a gasket that is sitting on the other bolt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
Put Koni SAs all the way around on the GTO this weekend along with new front strut mounts. Flushed the original brake fluid out and refilled it with Valvoline DOT4/5. Then spent Monday night gravity bleeding out air bubbles. Not positive I got all the air out but the pedal does feel better then it used to.

Discovered my front radius rod bushing is toast by noticing perfectly tread shaped clean spots on the front of my wheel well liner from where my tire impacts it. I'll replace that after autocross this year so I can destroy it on the first autocross weekend of next year. I hate the retarded front suspension design on this car.

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
Tightened a banjo bolt to stop a horrific oil leak and discovered the #1 injector is leaking at the fuel rail.....

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002

thelightguy posted:

Although the fact that they check gas caps at all beyond "is it there" is absolutely ridiculous.

His profile leads me to believe he's in NJ. NJ's inspection pressure tests the gas cap or at least they did when I lived there. I've heard that they are slimming down their inspection process.

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
A compression check on the Miata.

180 120 75 180

Looks like a new block is in my future.

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
Everything else points towards rings. 1&4 were likely "wet" due to being insanely oil fouled.

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002

The Third Man posted:

I thought low compression between 2 adjacent cylinders was usually just a gasket leak?

I think the 2 adjacent is a red herring though due to oil in 1&4 letting the rings seal. I'll know more by tonight though, I still need to do a leakdown and wet test of all 4.

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
Finished putting the motor back in the Miata so I could autocross it tomorrow. Went to start the F150 so I could get the Miata out of the garage.

gently caress, cranks but doesn't fire up now. Has spark, don't think it has fuel (dry plugs after a minute or two of cranking). It'll fire one or two cylinders once after sitting for ~30 mins to an hour after a start attempt. Leaning towards hosed fuel pump. However, I threw a scope on one of the injector plugs though and didn't see any kind of signal.

Luckily the Miata is a Miata and I was able to back it out of the other garage bay (two car garage with two doors).

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
Under hood temperatures went from 200F to 1200F!

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
Is that a hole in #6?

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
Picked the F150 up from the shop after they replaced the fuel pump. Front brake stuck on the ride back to work, grooved up the rotor and smoked like a bitch. Hopefully I can get home.

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002

trouser chili posted:

Those signs aren't legally binding, they can be responsible and you can get them to pay damages.

Yep, you can't force people to waive liability with a sign. Same thing applies to the sump trucks with "NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR BROKEN WINDSHIELDS." Sorry bub, you still are if your load isn't secured.

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
And the motor comes back out of the car again.

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
Put the next motor in the Miata with Phone today. Finishing up tomorrow then firing it up and tuneing idle.

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
Prepared for Irene.

Extra water? Nope
Extra food? Nope
Extra batteries? Nope
Extra car in the garage? gently caress yeah

The idea came into my head when it was going to give us hurricane force winds, the forecast moved it far east from here but I still needed to see if it could be done.

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
Flogged the poo poo outta it.

Wife and I did a 2 day track event, 8x25min sessions a day on the car for 2 days.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ferqJxcvh4&hd=1

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
To be fair my wife just got off the track so my tires/brakes were already up to temp. I don't think he caught back up to me though.

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
Ratchet + rubber mallet = impact wrench.

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
Removed its heart. Just gotta pull the exhaust, diff and a few other smaller pieces and it's scrap time.

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
Time for my next project.

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002

Peace out interior. Cars have a lot of wiring, most of it useless for a race car.

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
Finally got the cage painted.

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I'm building the car for NASA PTE. It's a fairly standard cage, the rear shot makes it look beefier than it is. I do need to remove the tie ins from the passenger door bar to the sill.

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
Didn't do much to my ride, but I did work on my ride's ride. Hopefully now it won't bottom out when I load it.

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002

Deeters posted:

so I had to take off the battery and cram a socket and extension in there.

That's smart since the positive terminal on most starters is always hot.

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
Ooh, shiny.

And time to hide it under a header blanket.

This weekend I'll make it all sorts of pretty colors.

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002

Crustashio posted:

Got the door leak fixed (stupid BMW weatherstripping) and picked up these:

What seats are you using them with?

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
Got the center console welded into place and the kill switch wired. Getting real close to having this thing legal for PTE. then it's time to make 30 more WHP so I can have a prayer at keeping up with the field.

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
Weighed my PTE car last week and came in 90 lbs light with 1/2 a tank of gas. I was hoping to put off making ballast until after the race next weekend. So much for that plan.

First stop was the steel warehouse, this place was massive. This was just their non-plate selections. Behind me was about 1/3 that amount of space in various types of plate.

I got a 4'x8' sheet of 3/16 steel. Someone in the local car club Took what I didn't need. I ended up with a 4'x14" piece that I cut into a 17.5"x15" piece. A 4.5" angle grinder made quick work of the sheet.

To mount it to the car I'm reusing my passenger seat mounts since I don't need a passenger seat anymore.

Drilled the holes for the mounting bolts. Exceeding the duty cycle of my drill significantly.

Tacked the mounting bars into place. It wasn't as dark as it seems, the light threw my camera off.

Lots of welding. 3/16 is about the limit of what my welder can do on a 20A 110V circuit. Too bad I run it into a 15A circuit. Lots of breaker trips happened.

Towards the end I got tired of resetting the breaker.

And here is the finished product. Final weight was 100.2lbs.

FatCow fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Mar 16, 2015

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I blew it up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gnQYdL5Rt98

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
Unfortunatly this was the final punchline.

Free tip, repin your fire extinguishers when you're done with them.

FatCow fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Sep 13, 2015

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
New seat!

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I need to do that this weekend. Some bearing on one of the the serpentine belt pulleys has packed it in.

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
Oil change!

That sure is a lot of used oil. That's a 5 gallon bucket.

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
My odometer did a thing.

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
What kind of horrible hell hole do you live in that doesn't let people ride their bikes around.

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002

Elsa posted:

don't make me add to your redtext

edit: I found the total weight of everything purchased and it was 1,880 conservatively. My bed is only 66" and the plywood was 8' long, and the 2x4 10'. So there were extra issues with two-thirds of the weight hanging over the bumper.

Apparently the 2015 can handle 1,000 pounds directly over the rear axle but today's load was nowhere near ideal.

If yours is the base model, 4x2, 122" wheel base 3.5L engine you can put 1,574# on the rear axle. Even with everything in the bed a lot of that weight would have ended up on the front axle. It's a truck, it's designed to carry weight. You would have been at the top end of what the truck can carry, but nowhere near the point of breaking the suspension.

According to Ford you can put 500lbs of tongue weight on your hitch before needing a WD hitch.

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
Is that normally a kart track? Seems really narrow.

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
e: NVM, must read entire thread before responding 2 pages late.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
Just 6.0L things.

Had to chisel the unison ring off the turbine housing.