Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Getting the truck back into drivable condition while the weather is nice in Texas (ie not 100+ and not freezing)

Bolted the back seat down with it's new neoprene cover

Installed the shifter cover and light

Completed and screwed in new Dash

Installed new wheel

Installed bikini top rail, just waiting on the roll bar to arrive

Also did some wiring stuff that needed to be done.

And since I haven't posted in this thread before, I purchased a 76 IHC Scout II Traveler a few months ago and am getting it back on the road to use as a hipster mobile in Austin, TX

Pictures of Scout grill go here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Changed the oil on my GTI and replaced a bad O2 sensor today.

It's weird how different German poo poo boxes are from the 70s pickups I'm used to tinkering with.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Installed the freshly painted rollbar and soft top today.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Headlight went out recently. Diagnosed the issue:

Now waiting on solution: non sealed Hella replacements from Amazon.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Primed and installed tailgate. Going to leave it in gray primer until I get the whole body either resprayed or wrapped. Haven't decided on which.

Also got plates, so I can drive it on the road legally now. Yay!

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

It's been bugging me that the only gauge not working on my brand new cluster was the oil pressure gauge. Figured it was an issue with the sender so I decided to take a look.

Blue wire is the sender wire.

Who the hell wiried this piece of poo poo? Oh right... me.

That's better.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

I bought $10 stickers to replace badges I don't have. I'm okay with them.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

And on the other vehicles:

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Yes, and drag a rotor.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Out with the old (one that didn't fall off)

In with the new

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Worked on the ranger yesterday. Polaris shop told me the carrier bearing had a crack in it and needed to be replaced.

Looks fine to me. Ran it in 4WD on the lift and didn't see any wobbling or vibration. Polaris shop is full of poo poo, not going back there.

Went ahead and changed the rack and pinion boots while it was up in the air.

Today's goal: figure out how to align it.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Finally got new brackets installed and the vintage air compressor mounted.

Tomorrow's goal: reroute the alternator wiring to the opposite side of the engine and find v belts that'll fit.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

New radiator, ac compressor, ac condenser, and rerouted the alternator wiring to the drivers side.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

What did I do to my ride today? Gave up.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Tried to get it fixed as drivable before moving house. Didn't make it in time. Had to shamefully tow it to the new house.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Just trying to freak everyone out.

:getin:

The scout makes a good moving vehicle, btw

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Yeah I improperly fitted my engine ground strap after moving the alternator and replacing the cooling and belts. Then on my test drive and burnt out the starter solenoid (I think). Didn't have enough time to get a new one before the move.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

STR posted:

What part of town did you wind up in? I'm farrrrr NW, but likely moving within 6 months.

I'm in Convict Hill, SW side. I refuse to live in North Austin.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Cut the lift gate I've had in the garage for the past 3 years.

Some jackass decided to drill all the way through the hinges, guess I'll need to find one of these now.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

When I was in Ireland Christmas 2019, I rented a Ford Focus that did the exact same thing. Freaked me the gently caress out when it happened. I tried to use it again, but you're right, clutch, 1st, go takes to long vs sitting in 1st in lights.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Darchangel posted:

edit: that begs the question: has anyone yet made a practical BEV tractor?

This company has a traditional looking 30hp compact electric tractor out now that takes category 1 3-point pto and hydraulic implements: https://solectrac.com/cet-electric-tractor

They're also coming out with this amazing looking thing at the end of this year with 3! attachment points but no hydraulics: https://solectrac.com/efarmer-electric-tractor

John Deere and Kubota have both announced they're going to make e Tractors but I haven't seen a timeline yet.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Good lord those Oz Rally wheels look good on that car.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

How much is a new ABS controller at the junkyard?

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Finally got the Carplay/Android Auto add-on installed in the Jagon.

Also the plates arrived

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Did a crappy rattle can paint job on the top and got it installed for the winter.

loving thing weighs about 500 pounds.

Mustache Ride fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Nov 2, 2021

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Got the Scout running after 18 months of sitting. Finally figured out that the shop I had wire the neutral safety switch in put 3 wire joins in a 8 in area with no solder and just crimp fittings. Switched it to a deutsch plug, replaced a blown relay (thanks ai:secret Santa!) and it started again! Also put in a battery isolator and new optima red top with bracket. Much better than the Napa brand with no bracket that was there before.

Figured out what needs to be completed to get it registered again:
- reverse light is always on. Need to look at nss wiring again I guess
- Turn signal lights (probably fuse)
- master cylinder seems to be stuck. I've got a hydro boost ready to go in with a new one
- replace rag joint with universal joint a nice guy at a meet gave me in the before times
- need to do something with the rear hatch hinges, PO drilled though them and basically ruined them. I'm going to keep the top on it for now.
- finish installing this vintage air kit before summer arrives.

I've had plenty of time to do all this during the pandemic, it's just so hard to motivate myself to get out there and do it.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Which summer? This summer? Lmao

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

EvilBeard posted:

Got the starter slapped on tonight after work. I must be living right. I reached up to put the nut on the solenoid stud, and I could barely reach up around the headers with 2 fingers. The nut just fell into place and threaded right on. I basically won the lottery.

I and my back hate you

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Might want to ask in the dashcam thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3597215

A quick googling says the viofo a129 can though: https://viofo.com/blog/how-to-switch-a129-dash-camera-to-wifi-station-mode-with-app-b54.html

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Those Fauoz wheels look great

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

I'm just going to link this for brakes
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Tm6N5l69_c

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Took a tire in to the shop to get a flat fixed and they told me I have a cracked rim. loving jag wants 1200 for a new rim, did some light googling and found the OE (Venom) and ordered direct from them for a third the price.

Dealers really try to screw you don't they.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Hot wired the truck to get it back in my driveway after living on the street for the remodel.

To do:
Column out to replace lock cylinder (thanks drat kids!)
Replace horn button (again, loving kids)
New water pump
Coolant flush
Oil change & Spark plugs
Need to find and install new power steering pump for:
Hydro boost switch
New master cylinder
Bleed brakes
Finish retro air AC install
Need to clean surface rust off a lot of poo poo
Probably get it registered again lol

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Darchangel posted:

Did some rear end in a top hat kids try to steal it? WTF?

Yes, we had some kids come check for open doors on the street in November of last year, and of course the new door locks that I have keys for were in the truck waiting to be installed (gone now). They came back a week later and took a screw driver to the lock cylinder, breaking it to pieces trying to get it to start. I had put a battery disconnect on it early that year so it wasn't going anywhere, and I wonder how they planned to get rid of a 1/1 car in the state, or even get it out of the driveway when it sounds like a loving muscle car starting up, but what do I know.

I filed a police report but they said if I still had the car they won't do anything. Thanks APD, shitheels.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r0HX4a5P8eE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Worked on the scout over the weekend for the first time in like a year.

Had to get this guy out, he's been in there since October but thankfully his glowing red eyes gave out long ago

Got the new column installed

Got the new steering shaft installed as well

Cleaned everything up and attempted to start it and gas started to shoot out the top of the carb. Gave up driving it. I got a spare edlebrock carb at the farm that I'll probably throw in but I seriously priced out the sniper kit to see, and its doable for ~$1800. I just want this drat truck to run though so I can start cleaning it up, replace the brakes and get the engine bay looking a lot nicer.