Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

afen
Sep 23, 2003

nemo saltat sobrius
Replaced the alternator belt, this has to add at least 30 hp!

HKS belt from Japan, cost about 1/10 of what I paid for the car.

afen fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Mar 12, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

afen
Sep 23, 2003

nemo saltat sobrius
Mounted brand new headlight glass on the other station wagon ($$$):

Gave her a quick polish as well:

afen
Sep 23, 2003

nemo saltat sobrius
Wrenched a bit on the old Audi:

Got a new block delivered from Lithuania, now the engine shop just wants $2300 for parts and labor and the bottom end internals should be all good.

afen
Sep 23, 2003

nemo saltat sobrius

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Pics of the Legacy wagon please.

It's an edition

HKS fanbelt, of course:

Paid about $500 for it

afen
Sep 23, 2003

nemo saltat sobrius
Well, hello there!

New pistons and rods, polished crank and bored 0,5mm over.

The head is still at the engine shop getting ported and serviced.

afen
Sep 23, 2003

nemo saltat sobrius
Picked up the head from the engine shop

afen
Sep 23, 2003

nemo saltat sobrius

Mounted some more bits to the engine. Was going to mount the head, but I'm missing some pieces that I need.

afen
Sep 23, 2003

nemo saltat sobrius
Bolted on the exhaust manifold and turbo. It's too drat cold to get any serious work done

afen
Sep 23, 2003

nemo saltat sobrius

Holy poo poo, is that for the RS2?

It sure is!

Stock turbo and Wagner exhaust manifold. I'm hoping to get the head and cams mounted this weekend.

afen
Sep 23, 2003

nemo saltat sobrius

afen posted:

It sure is!

Stock turbo and Wagner exhaust manifold. I'm hoping to get the head and cams mounted this weekend.

Well, that's done. Had to do the timing belt twice, I forgot the water/air pipes for the turbo and the plastic bracket behind the timing belt.

afen
Sep 23, 2003

nemo saltat sobrius
Fitted new, stainless injector sockets in the inlet manifold. Custom bits, had to port a little bit of the casting in the IM to get them to fit.

I also bought an new oil cooler, as if this project isn't costing me all my money as it is.

Waiting for some more parts to come in the mail before I can put this stuff on.

I also gave my local Audi tuner my ECU so that he can reprogram it for 440ccm injectors.

Here's one of his cars:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nUl0D2w3tt0

afen
Sep 23, 2003

nemo saltat sobrius

What injectors are you running? I seem to remember 034 had a set of bungs that adapted from the mega pricey CIS-E injectors to GM style truck injectors.

Bosch 968s. They're a straight fit mechanically, you just need a remap of the ECU.

afen
Sep 23, 2003

nemo saltat sobrius
Fitted a new oil cooler and the water manifold on the Audi. Still waiting for a new after-run water pump to get here before I can fit the intake manifold and other stuff.

Old:

New:

Water manifold: I had a new oil pressure sender, but I managed to break off the threaded part.

afen
Sep 23, 2003

nemo saltat sobrius
Fitted the downpipe, AC compressor, PS pump, aux water pump, inlet manifold and other little bits and pieces. Also, new connectors for the injectors, because I found some in a drawer at work.

I also got some electric adjusters for the head lamp. Strange that they weren't there, as all the wiring and the switch was present.

afen
Sep 23, 2003

nemo saltat sobrius

Laserface posted:

That is a gigantic wastegate for what seems to be an average sized turbo.

It's the stock unit. I think they used similar wastegates for all the 10v and 20v turbo cars.

afen
Sep 23, 2003

nemo saltat sobrius
Throttle body, radiator, air filter box, Provent 200 and various other small bits fitted. I always think "Hey, these Audis ain't too bad, I don't understand why everyone thinks they're a pain to fix," then I mount the radiator...

Hoping to get her started probably next week.

Still to come: Intercooler, auxilliary radiator, pressure piping and high blood pressure!

Does anyone have any tips for cleaning out an intercooler? I've tried regular degreaser and a whole lot of water. I think I got most of the oil out of it, but now I'm worried about the degreasing liquid left inside. I'm thinking about filling it up with petrol and letting it sit overnight.

afen
Sep 23, 2003

nemo saltat sobrius
Got the car started and tok her for a quick spin. A/F values too lean, so I'm going to take it to a dyno.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gKnJc4-lumU

afen
Sep 23, 2003

nemo saltat sobrius

kastein posted:

Private video.

Sorry, it should work now.

afen
Sep 23, 2003

nemo saltat sobrius
Took the car in for final adjustments after the rebuild.

About 416HP and 564Nm from the engine (calculated), 313HP/423Nm at the wheels. Not bad from a stock turbo.

The new front bumper is going on after I fit the new A/C lines and air drier.

afen
Sep 23, 2003

nemo saltat sobrius
Mounted the front bumper and the new AC lines.

afen
Sep 23, 2003

nemo saltat sobrius
Fitted new shocks and springs in the front. Bilstein B6 dampers and H&R springs. Still waiting for the rear shocks to get here before I replace them.

I don't think the damper is supposed to sink down like that:

Looking rather sorry without the struts:

Ready to be installed:

What a difference! The car has never driven this good!

afen
Sep 23, 2003

nemo saltat sobrius
Fitted a new stainless exhaust system from the turbo and back:

It still needs some fine tuning, but it sounds great!

afen
Sep 23, 2003

nemo saltat sobrius
I finally got an wheel alignment after replacing my springs and shocks this summer. Both tie rods were rusted so I had to replace those as well to do the alignment. I then went out in the snow to play!

afen
Sep 23, 2003

nemo saltat sobrius
Me and my friend finally found a place to work on our cars, and the rent is cheap too!

So far we've gotten a lift, a compressor, couch and the obligatory stereo system. I've even got a lathe coming!

afen fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Apr 10, 2017

afen
Sep 23, 2003

nemo saltat sobrius

Rhyno posted:

Dude this is so awesome. Can we get some more pics and some details?

Here's a picture of the lathe. It's been sitting outside, but I'm only "paying" a couple of bottles of whisky for it. I got the compressor for free because it had a cracked cylinder. Paid a welder $100 to get it together again. Gonna try it tomorrow, hope it works!

glyph posted:

What the gently caress is this image host.

My basement server. I need port 443 for SSH so I can connect to it while I'm at work.

Edit: I've reuploaded the photos to imgur.

afen fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Apr 10, 2017

afen
Sep 23, 2003

nemo saltat sobrius
Gave the Audi a wash and put on the summer tires.

afen
Sep 23, 2003

nemo saltat sobrius

Jymmybob posted:

Are those speedlines? Even if they aren't I loving love that style and wish they weren't always 3k+ on Porsches.

They're Keskin KT2s. I've been looking for some BBS LM or OZ Futura rims, but they're rarer than rocking horse poo poo in the fitment I need.

afen
Sep 23, 2003

nemo saltat sobrius
Got the lift bolted down and much of my stuff moved. We still need to put up work benches and shelves, but it's getting there!

Also, the obligatory coffee:

afen
Sep 23, 2003

nemo saltat sobrius
Today I fixed my compressor and fitted new rotors and pads ($250) on my $350 beater. Steel on steel makes the car shake when i brake.

It's so great finally having a lift again!

afen
Sep 23, 2003

nemo saltat sobrius
Changed the rear brake lines. Going to get the car re-tested on tuesday, and then it'll be good for another two years!

afen
Sep 23, 2003

nemo saltat sobrius
Replaced the A/C Compressor and filled her up. Finally, after six years, I have working AC!

I also shortened the exhaust a bit so that the rear pipe doesn't stick out as far.

No pictures of the wrenching, but here's a picture of the car at a local C&C event.

afen
Sep 23, 2003

nemo saltat sobrius
Pulled out the brake servo and sent it to the US to have it rebuilt. 800 euros for a new one!

Also, it looks like I'm buying a new clutch master cylinder, luckily they're only about $90.

afen
Sep 23, 2003

nemo saltat sobrius
I made it mine:

1985 Audi 100 CS quattro, and it's a beauty! No rust under the car and it runs like a freight train. I've been looking for one of those since I sold my old one:

afen
Sep 23, 2003

nemo saltat sobrius

Fitted the repaired brake servo, new master cylinder and new reservoir to the RS2. Haven't really tested it, but it seems a lot better!

afen
Sep 23, 2003

nemo saltat sobrius
Fixed the front suspension on ~~MY GIRLFRIENDS~~ 2000 Audi S6. The guy who invented multilink should be hit over the head with a corroded aluminium control arm!
Ended up with four new control arms, a new wheel bearing, axle and steering joint.

afen
Sep 23, 2003

nemo saltat sobrius
I replaced the auxilliary radiator on the RS2.

Old heap:

New hotness, made of aluminium:

afen
Sep 23, 2003

nemo saltat sobrius
Took the brakes off and sent them to England for a much needed refurbishment:

afen
Sep 23, 2003

nemo saltat sobrius

ThirstyBuck posted:

Why England?

Because there's always a guy in a shed that specializes in one thing or the other, haven't you watched Wheeler Dealers? I could not find anyone in Norway to do this kind of job, and I can't be arsed to send the calipers around to different shops for shot blasting, painting and overhauling.

afen
Sep 23, 2003

nemo saltat sobrius
Spent way too much money on redoing the brakes on my wagon. Still have to order some small parts though, but it'll be worth it!

And it was about time too:

No wonder Porsche parts are expensive when they come in bags like these:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

afen
Sep 23, 2003

nemo saltat sobrius
Mounted the calipers and the handbrake stuff. Only the bleeding left to do.