Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paul Boz_
Dec 21, 2003

Sin City
What did I do to my ride today? I took it to the body shop because some gently caress backed a lawn mower trailer into the lower passenger fender on my s2000. My buddy works at the body shop so they're painting and installing my airwalker side skirts and APR lip at the same time. I've been meaning to get it done but I guess my hand was forced.

I didn't realize how stressful it is when a nice car gets roughed up. I didn't give a poo poo about my 300zx TT from an appearance perspective so this is new to me :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paul Boz_
Dec 21, 2003

Sin City
poo poo dude it's on, now.

Paul Boz_
Dec 21, 2003

Sin City
Just changed the oil, coil packs, spark plugs, air, oil, and fuel filters, coolant, and wipers on my wife's '02 Protege. It rolled 150,000 last week so I thought it was a good time to do a tune up. It's still got the factory timing belt but gently caress it, who has time for that. I did the motor mounts last weekend with a floor jack and a block of wood.

I also need to do the head gasket because it leaks some exhaust gas but eh, gently caress that too. On beater cars I only do timing belts and head gaskets when I have to and as long as it burns less than a quart of oil a month I don't care.

Paul Boz_ fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Dec 8, 2012

Paul Boz_
Dec 21, 2003

Sin City
Took it to the body shop - should get it back in a week. Bumming rides sucks balls but being the boss and being able to get my coworker to give me rides is AI as gently caress.

Paul Boz_
Dec 21, 2003

Sin City
My car is out of paint and the new passenger fender looks flawless - can't even tell someone backed into my hit and run style. The side skirts and front lip are also out of paint and should be installed today or first thing in the morning. I hope I have my car back by tomorrow evening :f5h:

Paul Boz_
Dec 21, 2003

Sin City
Body shop is nearly done - just have to install the front lip and I can pick it up this evening :)

Before:

Teaser:

These airwalker side skirts get me hard.

Paul Boz_
Dec 21, 2003

Sin City

Bob NewSCART posted:

S2000's are seriously nice. What year is that?

It's a 2007 (AP2). Grand Prix white with the red and black interior. Here are a few galleries I've shot of it since I've had it if you want more pics. Thanks!

http://paulboz.com/images/index.php?level=collection&id=5

Paul Boz_
Dec 21, 2003

Sin City
Had to top off my clutch fluid because my pedal was mushy. The existing fluid in the master cylinder was dark and muddy so I foresee a new slave cylinder in my car's future. I don't have time for that.

Paul Boz_
Dec 21, 2003

Sin City
Gave her some stitches. She tried to eat a parking block because I was in a hurry and not paying a tremendous amount of attention. I think scars add a little character though. I just want to know how you crack urethane in half :psyduck:

Paul Boz_
Dec 21, 2003

Sin City

kastein posted:

I thought that was a rally/offroad only kind of fix :haw:

If you google "zip tie stitches" 9/10 of the pictures are 240sx bumpers held together from drift fails :lol:

Paul Boz_
Dec 21, 2003

Sin City

IOwnCalculus posted:

It actually looks like a bit of fun but I have to ask - why the intake manifold? Is the stock piece actually that restrictive?

Probably made of plastic and horribly restrictive or cramped.

Paul Boz_
Dec 21, 2003

Sin City

Nodoze posted:

Picked it up yesterday, got home today! 02 Suzuka Blue AP1 with 58 (now 59..) thou

Nice!! Welcome to the club :hfive:

Need more shots of everything! You've got 5,000 less miles than my '07.

Paul Boz_
Dec 21, 2003

Sin City
New brake pads and fluid, changed oil, plasti-dipped my wheels black, and got two new rear tires.

Paul Boz_
Dec 21, 2003

Sin City

-A n i m 8- posted:

Installed new bumper and side skirts.

Looks really nice; great choices :coolfish:

Rhyno posted:

Cleaned up the carnage

Dang man, that sucks :( Seems like it was about a month ago that you were saying the same to me :/

Paul Boz_ fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Apr 15, 2013

Paul Boz_
Dec 21, 2003

Sin City
Bought a knockoff Mugen lip today for $50 (had a $40 paypal balance, said gently caress it). I'm just going to plasti-dip it flat black since it's going to get scraped up anyway and I've got a can left from doing my wheels.

Paul Boz_
Dec 21, 2003

Sin City

Nodoze posted:

I feel like there are no good AP1 lips available so I am going to have to spend money getting a new bumper + lip just to have something, and then I need it painted too :smith:

e: how do you like your rad cooling plate thing? I am considering getting one since they are not really that expensive. I feel like I should get a better radio first though..

A lot of the AP1 guys on s2ki say that :/. I don't know how you feel about the Mugen style lip like the one I bought but that one is definitely installable on an AP1 with a very marginal amount of work.

I'd say that the radiator plate is aesthetic as gently caress but doubt that it does anything functional. I only bought it because it was a cost-effective way to significantly improve my engine bay :).

On a side note I love how much room there is to clean! I also painted the radiator stays gold to match the AP2 valve cover.

Paul Boz_ fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Apr 20, 2013

Paul Boz_
Dec 21, 2003

Sin City
Pretty sure you can install a CR lip on any AP2 bumper so shouldn't be too tough if you have the cash to get a new bumper. Maybe the APR fiberglass bumper-lip one piece? It's the lip I've got on my car now but it fits like poo poo (poor counterfeit from eBay).

However, hardware not withstanding you can get AP2 bumpers at the dealership for under $350 and according to one of the mods at s2ki they come painted in your body color. CR bumpers are cheaper elsewhere (like hardtopguy) but CR bumpers only come in three colors. Either way the CR lip is $550 with hardware and gently caress that. Lips are too volatile to spend that much money on. I'd get a nice exhaust with that much cash.

http://www.hardtopguy.com/store/home.php?cat=193

Paul Boz_
Dec 21, 2003

Sin City
New lip came in in only a few days. It's much better quality than my last one; I'm really impressed! It's a Mugen knockoff.

Paul Boz_
Dec 21, 2003

Sin City

Nodoze posted:

Pics with it on :)

If the stars align correctly I'll have it plasti-dipped and on the car Saturday :). The work gods do not permit me free-time before near sundown unfortunately.

Paul Boz_
Dec 21, 2003

Sin City

Nodoze posted:

Pics with it on :)

I installed it today and just posted some pictures in the post pics of your ride thread. It would definitely install on an AP1.

Paul Boz_
Dec 21, 2003

Sin City

Nodoze posted:

Changed the oil in the S2k for the first time :)

I unplugged some connector in the way of the filter to get a better grip on it and forgot to plug it back in, so I got a CEL when I started the car again and scratched my head for a second before I remembered about it :buddy:

If you want to avoid doing that just get a BBQ glove (the kind that are insulated and go up to your elbow), fold a piece of course-grit sand paper in half so that both sides have grit, then twist off the filter using your hand. You won't catch yourself on the hot poo poo down there and can get good traction with the sand paper. You also don't tear your arm up on that stupid plug. I've gotten my oil changes down to under 10 minutes including jacking the car up.

These are pretty much what I use: http://paulboz.com/19

Paul Boz_
Dec 21, 2003

Sin City
My wife called me at 2pm and said her car was dead, battery light was on, and AC wasn't blowing. Smelled like catastrophic belt failure so I left work, bought two new belts, ran by the house to get my tools and work a shirt, and got work done. The pavement had to be well over 150 because the air temp was 105. 300,000 miles on the stock head gasket, axles, and transaxle and the only problem I've ever had with it is the occasional belt failure and a disentigrating factory airbox (hence the autozone cold air intake). I'm replacing it with an IS250 very soon.

Paul Boz_
Dec 21, 2003

Sin City

Fucknag posted:

Yeah those airboxes are poo poo. Mine had a little 2-inch snorkel pointing towards the hole that leads down into the fender, drat thing broke off a while back.

Also doing that alternator belt is a pain in the rear end. I like how they made it so you can almost get the alternator loose from above, but then buried the nut for the pivot polt back underneath the intake mani so you have to go at it from underneath.

Yeah it sucks but you can get it without jacking the car with the employ of a few u-joints. I keep a floor jack and some jack stands in her trunk though so not that bad. I definitely think it's easier to get the belts on from the bottom.

Paul Boz_
Dec 21, 2003

Sin City

kastein posted:

Those are some snazzy rear end shoes for working on cars. Not that I can really say anything, because I'm the kind of dork that wears steel toe leather loggers boots with shorts :banjo:

haha man my wife called me at 2:00pm at work and Fridays are casual so I had on nice shoes. When I stopped at the house to grab some tools I changed out of a white button-up and threw on a dickies shirt and didn't even think about my shoes. One of my friends said they make me look like the redneck cousin of the wicked witch of the west lol. She was broken down after coasting in to a park parking lot so I was in a hurry.

I guess it's kinda like welding in a tshirt :ghost:

Paul Boz_ fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Jun 29, 2013

Paul Boz_
Dec 21, 2003

Sin City

kastein posted:

You should have seen the number of people who nearly got whiplash double-taking as I passed them on the highway on the way to my job interview last Friday.

... wearing a 3 piece suit, immaculately shaved, in my big muddy beat-up rusted out 20 year old pickup with a cherry bomb, arm out the window :v:

I wish I had a picture, it was great.

You sound like my friend who I stayed with in Maine last week who has the stock car. He's a mechanic by trade but has a law degree and is slowly starting his own practice. He drives a pretty cool Volvo (white with black wheels and a t4 turbo) most of the time but often drives his '92 Grand Cherokee with 300,000 > miles on it, four blown shocks, and half a race car in the back to court in his suit. It's pretty funny when he goes to court, gets assumed to be a dumbass, and trounces his opposition.

Paul Boz_
Dec 21, 2003

Sin City
I installed an Invidia N1 single exit exhaust on my s2000 on Friday. This is the first video that I've taken with my GoPro so sorry for the dirty windshield. I already have a test pipe to replace the cat and I ordered a PLM header and a FlashPro which will be here some time next week. I'm going to drop VTEC to 4200 from 6200 and raise my redline from 8k to 8.5k (the Hondata Toda header tune). With intake, header, exhaust, test pipe, and re-tune I should be able to squeeze out 20-30whp. What works in my favor is that the flashpro lets me fully tune my ECU so the 1000cc injectors I also bought will work fine with my factory ECU. Now I just need to order a Science of Speed supercharger kit and I'm done :).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jXNUVf5p5yI

Paul Boz_
Dec 21, 2003

Sin City

Fart Pipe posted:

That sounds fuckin awesome! What kind of case is your Gopro in? I have a Hero2 and a waterproof case and even with the open back all my exhaust videos sound bassy and lovely.

It's a Hero 3 with the open-back waterproof case. However, it was stuck to my windshield and the top was down. Thanks for the complement :). I can't wait to hear it with the header and test pipe!

Paul Boz_
Dec 21, 2003

Sin City

Tanz-Kommandant posted:

I know the case probably wasn't the best thing for audio quality but it raises the question, how's the drone at freeway speeds with that setup?

The drone is reasonable so long as you can cope with the fact that you've installed a 3" straight pipe exhaust :). It's definitely not stock.

Detroit Q. Spider posted:

What is currently done to your S2000? It looked like it was really moving in those videos.

It's literally bone stock other than a catback exhaust.

Paul Boz_
Dec 21, 2003

Sin City

Nodoze posted:

Is it OK to make the VTEC engagement point that low? I always thought you couldn't go that low. Aside from that, drat you are going in

Yeah it's the standard Hondata TODA header tune (that is applicable to any header).

http://www.hondata.com/reflash_s2k_toda_header.html

Paul Boz_
Dec 21, 2003

Sin City
There is no risk. It is similar to the RSX-S tune that Hondata has been using for over a decade. Hundreds of s2000's use the same tune (it's a pre-burned reflash if you don't have a flashpro compatible ECU). Basically it just smooths out the powerband and gets rid of the "vtec kick." Raising the redline 500 is negligible. I've researched it extensively and can't find any evidence of any s2000's having a problem with the TODA header tune, just lots and lots of happy customers :)

Paul Boz_
Dec 21, 2003

Sin City

Muffinpox posted:

Its fine, you can engage VTEC as early as you have oil pressure for it. The only negative would be switching to the high rpm cam too early and losing midrange torque but that all depends on your tune and modifications. Finding the ideal point is pretty easy by just dynoing the car with only the low rpm cam and then only the high rpm and setting the switch when they cross.

Yep and 4200 is where Hondata has found that perfect crossover point :).

Paul Boz_
Dec 21, 2003

Sin City

Nodoze posted:

Wonder how much gas your gonna suck down hitting VTEC all the time now as opposed to only sometimes. I mean, you might go into VTEC every time anyway but I usually don't

I hit VTEC almost every time I drive. I bounce it off of 8k through third several times a day (about four on-ramps per day). I only get like 200 miles per tank on an 11 gallon fill-up so terrible gas mileage. I hate the car below 4500rpms or so :/. I still get better gas mileage than my 300zx twin turbo on the s2000's worst day.

In other news I just got shipping confirmation on the PLM header I bought. They usually list for like $550 but PLM has a discounted thread on s2ki. $400 shipped with gaskets. Hopefully next weekend I'll be able to install it and the test pipe.

Paul Boz_
Dec 21, 2003

Sin City

Nodoze posted:

poo poo, I'm getting like 180-200 at about the halfway point. I'm not as aggressive as you though. I kinda wish I had the extra money to blow on the header even though I want to leave the car stock

Lots of guys on s2ki claim that they get the illusive 300 miles per fill-up but I've only done it once and it was literally all 60mph highway driving.

Paul Boz_
Dec 21, 2003

Sin City

Imperador do Brasil posted:

Washed both cars today. Excuse the finger in the one photo, it was sunny and I didn't see it on the phone screen.

Umf. :fap:

Just spent all day bombing around in forum user Rape Whistle's RS4 today. Ze Germans!

Paul Boz_
Dec 21, 2003

Sin City
Just bought a Mishimoto oil cooler kit (non-thermostatic sandwich plate). Science of Speed now sells a turbo kit in addition to their supercharger kit. I was leaning to the SoS blower kit due to the OEM build quality and lack of need to move things around. However, their turbocharger kit doesn't require the removal or destruction of anything OEM (no fuse box, battery, or oil filter relocation, no urethane motor mount (it comes with a high temp heat shield). Figured an oil cooler would be an important edition since the car already runs so hot NA.

http://www.mishimoto.com/honda-s2000-oil-cooler-kit-00-09.html

Kinda wish I hadn't bought that header now. Oh well, I know there are a lot of s2k guys here so somebody's going to get a really inexpensive PLM header sooner than later ;)

Paul Boz_
Dec 21, 2003

Sin City
My PLM header came in today and the fabrication is great. The welds look nice and it was packed nicely. 3" test pipe bolted up for the photos. I'll be installing both some time this weekend and will just have to live with the CEL until I get my flashpro in and can turn off the secondary o2 sensor.

Paul Boz_
Dec 21, 2003

Sin City
The vendor that I bought my flashpro from said that they were out a week after I ordered it (and was told it was in stock) so I cancelled that order and bought one from Science of Speed. It and an AEM UEGO wideband o2 sensor and gauge will be here mid-week. I got a box of OEM honda oil filters in the mail though!

Paul Boz_
Dec 21, 2003

Sin City
PLM header and Invidia test pipe installed.

Did the oil change at the same time. Easiest oil change ever.

New header

Flogged the poo poo out of it to heat cycle all of it and it morphed into rice mode.

3" single straight off the header now.

Paul Boz_
Dec 21, 2003

Sin City

Lookin' good! Were you getting the Hondata reprogram too? Are you going to post more driving video soon? :v:

Yeah going to rip some gopro runs around sundown ;). I'm going to use the Hondata Toda header tune which lowers VTEC to 4200 and raises the redline to 8500. It's their reflash tune which they sell for non-flashpro compatible s2000's that comes preloaded as a preset tune on the flashpro. It should be in by mid-week and will only take a few minutes to configure so hopefully by end of the week I'll have a video or two of that. Going to go rip it now :coolfish:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paul Boz_
Dec 21, 2003

Sin City

Are you going to post more driving video soon? :v:

Ask and ye shall receive :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8SWKc44O0ds

This is with the header, test pipe, and exhaust. The flashpro will be here on Friday so I'll record another video with VTEC dropped to 4200 and the redline raised to 8500. It freakin screams now.