Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

New tires after a goddamn sidewall split. They were all getting close to the wear bars anyway.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=BFGoodrich&tireModel=g-Force+Super+Sport+A%2FS+%28W-Speed+Rated%29

BFGoodrich G-Force Super Sport A/S. They get decent reviews and I got a good price on 'em. I only drive it on the streets, anyway. Anyone have experience with these tires?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

XCPuff posted:

I do.

I hate to say it but it was probably the worst tire I ever had. In fact, I swore off BFGoodrich for good after my experience with them. The road noise was awful, traction in rain was laughable, and they lasted all of 15,000 miles.

It may have just been bad luck on my part but it was enough for me. Hopefully you get better results out of them. They were on an '04 GTO in case you were wondering.

Ah man, hope I have better luck. Running them on an '03 Miata, and while I can see how could get noisy (this is only based on my uneducated eyes looking at the tires and it seeming like the tread design is a bit "blockier" than other performance tires) the car is loud anyway. :v:

They seem to grip well enough so far, but I don't push the car hard on the streets. If we ever get any rain again I'll see how they do in the wet.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Pulled out the seats and gave the Miata a thorough interior cleaning. Later this week it will be a wash and oil change.

No after picture but it's a hell of a lot nicer to sit in now.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

kimbo305 posted:

The Snapshot system must deriving acceleration from reported engine speed and wheel speed, right?

I think there is an accelerometer inside the unit itself.

I took the Miata out for a nice long top-down drive to enjoy the weather today. (Upper 70s) Makes me not want to sell it now. :(

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

_firehawk posted:

Tire rack shipped me overnight 3 extra lug nuts for free after I asked them which ones they sent me in 2010. Color me impressed with this level of customer service.

Tire rack customer service really is good. I bought a set of tires from them back in 2006 and they called me a couple of weeks later asking if I was satisfied with the tires. It didn't seem like a customer survey, but more like they wanted to know "Hey man, how ya doin?"

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

meatpimp posted:

(mostly kidding, str, it will be far less in maintenance, let's just hope you aren't paying too much interest to the bank)

I don't know man, TT seems like a high-maintenance type of dude.

:haw:

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Finally changed the oil. :effort:

Which ended up taking twice as long as it should have because the drain plug was torqued to approximately one thousand foot pounds. :iiam: The old oil was pretty sick looking. I should probably write down the mileage so it gets changed on time next time.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Girlfriend was complaining of a grinding sound from her drivers side under braking.

Outside pads and rotors certainly don't look bad:

Let's look at the inside. :stare: :gonk:

Looks like I'm doing brakes this weekend. Also what would cause the inside pads/rotor to wear so much more rapidly than the outside? Something wrong with the piston?

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Yeah, sliding calipers. I'll be sure to grease the pins while I'm at it.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Sir Cornelius posted:

$0.20 worth of cobber-grease on the slider-pins could have prevented this havoc :(

Yeah, that was definitely the problem. The slide pins on the driver's side were crusty and lovely so I cleaned them real good and they got greased. Passenger side was fine. :iiam:

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

some texas redneck posted:

Used some of this on the glass. That stuff is freakin amazing - the windows look better than the day I bought it.

I need to pick up another can, myself. Isn't the slogan like "Stoner Invisible glass, cleans so well you'll think the glass is invisible." :2bong: Always amused me.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Helped a friend drop and replace the tank on his Mustang to replace a fuel sender unit. With a 3/4 full tank. :suicide:

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

I live on the border of Oklahoma and Arkansas. :banjo: For all the poo poo we like to talk about OK, there are a couple of things they get right. In my opinion one of those is the language on their signage:

AR: Slower traffic keep right
OK: Keep right except to pass

AR: Bride may ice in cold weather
OK: Bridge ices before road

Edit: (Holy poo poo. Sorry to continue this derail. :eek:)

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Replaced the plugs. The old plugs didn't have a ton of miles on them but last time I did this I didn't know any better and bought those lovely Bosch +4 plugs. I'm not sure if you can tell by the photo (my phone doesn't like to focus anymore. Seems that's what happens when you jump into a lake with it) but the center electrodes are toast.

I went with basic NGK coppers this time. In no way did I expect a noticeable power gain from just replacing plugs but welp.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Can't beat the FRS/BRZ for ease of oil filter access:

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Cage posted:

Apologized to it after doing this:

Had no idea it was there. There was a lot of other tail light bits on the ground so that made me feel a tiny bit better, but I am pretty bummed. Couldve been worse though, the trunk still opens and locks and the bumper looked untouched.

Euugh, sucks man. There's a local liquor store with a similar light pole in the middle of the parking lot, and it's not a big lot. Every transaction ends with "Have a good night - watch out for the pole :)"

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

90% finished with the top install. Just need to put the interior panels, carpet, and seats back in. Wasn't hard at all with a second pair of hands but would have been a serious pain in the rear end trying to do it by myself.

Oh, yeah:

Also the weatherstipping doesn't seem to be holding on as tightly as before. Should I hit it with a bit of adhesive?

Previa_fun fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Jul 27, 2013

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

some texas redneck posted:

I see they took lessons from GM. :allears:

I don't know how but GM seems to make vehicles that are really simply put together and a gigantic pain in the dick to actually work on at the same time.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Another oil change. Waaay overdue and still I feel like I just did one. :v:

Maybe next weekend I'll do the gearbox and diff oil.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Wouldn't 1/10th of a mile be exactly 528 feet? :v:

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Are weathertech floor mats worth it? I mean I've read probably a novel's worth of their ads in my lifetime but I never thought about actually buying any.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

http://www.weathertech.com/drink-coasters/ I wish I had seen this before shipping my AISS gifts because this is hilarious. :v:

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Chinatown posted:

Got my Porter Cable 7424XP and Meguiars microfiber correction system.

I took my clear bra off after using a Bissel Steam Shot, detail spray, claybar, and so much elbow grease. As you can see, the paint difference was really noticible. :gonk:

After:

:science:

drat, son.

Great looking car, btw.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

drukqs posted:

Somebody from the MR2 Owners Club facebook page was describing to me an alternate way of quieting down a loud fart cannon... Basically I'd yank and discard the silencer. Then drill two pairs of holes (each offset a smidge) in a "+" pattern through the exit portion/tip of my fart cannon.

Run some long bolts through, forming a "+" which he claims quieted his friends RB26 Skyline down from 115db to a more legal 95 by somehow diffusing the outgoing exhaust gasses "breaking up the pressure."

Probably wouldn't be too difficult to do a dry run without actually drilling any holes, I'm tempted.

It wouldn't be hard to test but I'm doubtful it'd make any real difference. This made me think of the silencers that used to be fitted to the old turbojet airliners' nozzles in the 50s and 60s, and I wondered if anyone mode scaled-down versions for car exhausts and whether it'd be effective. :v:

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

That's a great example of "Aftermarket wheels: just because you can doesn't mean you should." The stockers look a hundred times better.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Bought it.

2011 Mazda3s 2.5. ~54 miles on the odo, 6 speed manual. :2f2f: powdercoated wheels which I actually kind of like.

It's pretty great for an econo-wagon so far.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

DropShadow posted:

Full detail with paint correction and sealant.

This is a drat good looking car.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Washed/vacuumed and deep cleaned the interior of my 3. I can't stand a dirty car interior so there wasn't much but a few receipts in the glovebox but there was dirt and leaves in the carpet from a recent camping trip and it was driving me crazy.

Then I took the Miata out for a long drive on some back roads. Feels good, man.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Years ago I almost bought a 2008 Impreza.

God drat am I glad I passed on that car. I get the appeal of Subarus, but gently caress if I'd want to own one. I'd feel as if I had a ticking (:haw:) timebomb under the hood.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

The fact that clutches last as long as they do these days blows my mind when I think of the forces and temperatures they have to contend with. I guess gearing helps when you're starting off in first with a 10:1+ gear ratio between engine and wheels, but drat.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

My wife was supposed to go bridesmaid dress shopping for her friend's wedding yesterday but got 5 minutes down the road and called me saying her car "felt weird and had no power."

She got back and it's clearly running on three cylinders so I got to be ripped off for $fuckyou by the only store around that carried a full set of four ignition coils but gently caress me we need to car to run so she can get to work on Monday. Changed the plugs, too.

At least it runs right again and we just paid it off so it's almost new car time for her anyway.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

IOwnCalculus posted:

Why all four coils?

Car has 186K and I figured they were due. :shobon: Probably unnecessary but worst case I didn't want to have to deal with it again.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

doogle posted:

I also found out I have about a foot of space between the belts and the fans in case anything would want to live there in the future.

I've heard of going from clutch fans to electric fans but going back the other way seems unnecessary? :confused:

boost iiiit

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

I always hear stories of new manual cars being so hard to find and selling out real quick and can only imagine they're being shipped to Dubai or something because I never ever ever see them in the wild.

Nice car, though. How's the 2.0T compare vs the old V6?

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

What's the point of clutch delay valves? They're in almost every MT car these days and almost universally reviled.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

every car should have a dataplate under the hood listing fluid capacities

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Spent the weekend on the beach and had my car fully loaded. First time I've had the board and my bike on the roof at the same time and it did well, no issues on the interstate.

I know you've had the Xb for a couple years now, any issues with oil consumption? My wife had a tC with the same engine and I was throwing in a quart or so every few weeks toward the end. There was a TSB involving piston replacement, I think.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Imperador do Brasil posted:

My wife complained about the FXT smelling horrible today...

yeah that'll do it

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Bought it.

2015 Mazda 6 Touring. Certified with 35,8xx miles. Got it for 15.3 OTD and I'm loving it so far.

I originally wanted something a little newer but this one is really really clean and the price was right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Powershift posted:

Do a reasonable commute in comfort with relatively good gas mileage!

:lol:

That's 100% the thought. I just wanted something I can listen to dumb podcasts in on my way to work and back. Also as much as I loved 3 the clutch was engaging so close to top of travel I was getting nervous I'd have to dump money into it soon.

So instead I dumped money into this. :toot: