Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Replaced the rear shocks on my 4runner with bilstein 5100s. Had to cut the top nuts in half to get them off thanks to some rust and corrosion. If only Toyota had put a flat section somewhere lower than above the nut (like the bilsteins) which is impossible to access due to the inner wheel well.

I can already feel improved handling over bumps. I'll be replacing the fronts next week with bilstein 5100 adjustables when I can make time for an alignment after.

Thanks to the 2 years my car spent in the Midwest, rust causes an hour long repair to take 3 dealing with seized fasteners. So happy I don't live there anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

Larrymer posted:

I look forward to replacing all 4 of mine on my truck. From Michigan. That's still in Michigan. And it's a 2001. :shepicide:

Hope you have a grinder, torch, impact wrench, breaker bar, penetrating oil, dremel with 20 cutoff discs, or all the above.

Actually, you might be able to just grab it and pull it out by hand, or pull it through the rusted frame. It's incredible how much damage salting the roads does to a vehicle. I didn't realize until I moved to a place where cars don't really rust and its common to see a 1980 Toyota pickup that has been a daily driver since it rolled off the lot and still looks brand new. Back in Michigan, it would have dissolved via rust long before Clinton took office.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Let me when you're buying hog ring pliers so that you can completely remove the fabric covers of your seats and headrests so that you can run them through your washing machine for a full and thorough cleaning.

At one point I'm in my back yard staring at my 4runner with all the seats looking like a skinned animal ... with a pile of 8 year old seat fabric covers and head rests wondering if I can get these fuckers back on. I ran them through degreaser, vinegar, then some oxyclean/detergent in the washing machine. The amount of work was stupid but the results made me feel it was worth it. Not something I would do for a 8 year old car again but maybe for a classic car.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

Darchangel posted:

Thinking about something like this for the AE86's seats. They're not as bad as the *could* be, but still 30 years worth of dirt and butts.

Its really not that bad. Its an afternoon of work at most. The nice thing is that its not like your engine/suspension/steering/brake components type of frustration. Its pretty easy. If your old seat covers are in bad enough shape, this would be the perfect time to replace them. And by seat covers I mean the actual factory fabric that covers the seat, not some cheap walmart slip on seat cover.

But really. Running them through the washing machine released the 6 years of dust, grime and farts from the previous owner who wasn't the cleanest guy and appeared to have owned a beagle based off the hair that was in the hidden nooks and crannies. When they came out of the washing machine they looked night and day different.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Dual battery setup? I didn't see a winch or any lights so I'm curious as to why they would run 2 batts.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Yeah I figured it was for an overland setup but I didn't expect it from factory without any major electric accessories.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
I'll be placing an order this week for cv axles for my 4runner. I'm ordering from CVJ out of Colorado because they reman OEM toyota axles and are the next best thing for less, slightly more than Autozone/Napa but much higher quality.

I've been waiting on installing my new front shocks (bilsten 5100 adjustables) until I have to install my cv axles as well because gently caress ... may as well do everything all in one go. After that I'll have my windshield replaced and get a set of new tires (Falken Wildpeak, BFG AT K02, or Cooper AT3)

When we finally decide to buy a house, a decent garage is going to be high on my must-haves.

Verman fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Feb 8, 2018

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
I washed and waxed my car yesterday. I was thinking it was just looking old and then bam. A coat of wax and out looks great again.

I really need to get a rotary buffer and some pads.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Ordered new CV axles, new seals, a few tools, sway bar end links, etc to put in when I replace my front suspension.

I keep going in every week with pb blaster just hoping I don't run into any stuck fasteners.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

And let me guess - all the poo poo with the door latch had to be done completely blind because it was inside of the door? I got closely acquainted with the guts of all 4 doors in the Nova when I was unfucking all the window mechanisms. By the time I was finished up my arms looked like I just got done wrangling a herd of cats. But now I can say that I can put the window tracks back together while blindfolded.

I did the same thing with my 4runner. My drivers side door got caught by a wind gust one day and bent my door check. I couldn't roll my window down/up so I figured it was just going to be a quick replacement of the door check ($20 for a new one) remove the three fasteners and I would be done.

What I didn't realize is that 4 runners door checks have 2 hooked ends like a T, that move very close to the steel window track. If the wind gets your door good enough, one side of the T will catch the track and then bend the track out of shape. My track got pinched and bent in the process. I had to open the track up again by hammering a small piece of wood into the 3/4" track all the way up until it was back to its original width. Then I had to bend the steel track back to its original position which was the hardest part. There is zero room or visibility in there and it was welded into the door, and pretty decent steel. Most of what I was doing was blind. I would do something and then check back up there. It took multiple attempts, several days to finally get it figured out.

I took the panel off so many times that I could do it blindfolded now. I had to get really creative. Using a short hammer, several pry bars, a long flat blade screw driver, a block of wood to wedge the track back to its original width, and then my most genius move was using a long threaded bold with a few large nuts/washers as a spreader. One side was on a structural part of the door, the nuts were against the window track. As I loosened the nuts, it slowly forced the track back into the line. Fixing something when you have all the right tools is one thing, but when you have to improvise and figure out a new solution with tools that aren't necessarily meant to do what you need, but then it all comes together. Holy poo poo that feeling is nice.

My arms and hands were really torn up after getting it fixed but the feeling of completion was nice.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
I've always used PB blaster.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
The 4runner has the filter up top with a little spill catch pan to get and oil that comes out. I've also got a fumoto valve for quick and easy drains with zero mess. Flick a switch, let it drain, flick the switch closed.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

Put all the groceries in the back, pop the clutch and do a wheelie.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

KakerMix posted:

Wouldn't you know it the thing sure does ride better now!

Control arm or sway bar bushings?

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Then you can go get a hot dog or a slice of pizza for $1.50 while you wait.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

Dagen H posted:

But it's the only surface I've got :(

I have plywood pads, I just couldn't get the jack high enough to fit one. I wasn't under the car anyway.

Ive got the same deal as you with the gravel driveway. I use 3/4" plywood pads for my stands but I have an SUV with good ground clearance and a pretty nice jack that lifts pretty high. If you have a low car I can see how that would be tough.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Just picked up a buffer ...

Spent three hours yesterday deep cleaning my interior. It had been a while and it started smelling like dog. It's also that time of year that my dog started shedding so that's fun. Just bought a rear seat cover so it hopefully doesn't get as hairy.

The 4runner finally looked and smelled good inside. It was a sunny day so it was nice to be outside and I didn't mind. Went to get a car wash and as I'm finishing up, clouds roll in and it starts pouring. I called it a day.

Today I spent a few hours rinsing it off and waxing it. Using a buffer made it go quicker which was nice.

Changed the oil and filter (thanks fumoto valve) without so much as a drop on my hands. Changed the cabin filter too.

I still have suspension and cv axles to replace when my hand heals up. Also realizing I need new tires. It's so oddly relaxing to work on vehicles but it can be so exhausting.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
I've never been much of a hot hatch fanboy or anything but I've always like the look and feel of the newer focus, especially the ST/RS.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

Wasabi the J posted:

Does anyone get nervous when their basic maintenance was too routine?

I changed the oil and rotated the tires and now I feel like...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9WatQeG5fMU

The day I changed the oil for the first time after installing a fumoto valve. I kept checking the oil level periodically for several weeks after thinking there was no way it was that easy.

Also ... a year after I bought my car (it was 4 y/o at the time) my wife gave me a blackhawks license plate cover and she suggested I put it on. I broke the head off the rear license plate bolt on my 4runner and had no luck drilling/removing it. It was rusted into the threaded hole. I accessed it from the rear interior panel, used vice grips and threaded it the rest of the way through but it got stuck and I ended up snapping the threaded nut (which was welded to the metal hatch) off. So now I had a hole in my car and no way of securing my license plate. Ended up getting new hardware and JB welded a new nut into place which worked for a few years. I saw some rust forming on the new bolt the other day so I figured I would take preventative measures to put new clean screws in. I hear the threaded nut fall into the bottom of the hatch and now that hole is staring at me again. More JB weld and we were back in action. I will get a new one welded eventually but holy gently caress ... a license plate bolt. gently caress the midwest and lovely rust. So happy I moved.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Well that's pretty loving cool.

One of our family friends had an original non-kit cobra and he took me for a ride in it when I was like 12 years old. I will never forget that sound and the feeling of being pushed back into the seat and the tires squawking as he shifted into 2nd and 3rd gears.

He had a float plane (they lived on a lake) and took me up for my first flight. I even flew for a hot second.

His garage was something like 4-6 stalls and absolutely showroom pristine, not typical of someone who does their own wrenching. He had a lift, rows of tool storage, literally everything you could wish for in a garage. I'm pretty sure he was a pilot/owned a business.

At the time, I was more into the motorcycles. He had an original triumph Bonneville, an old ducati cafe bike, the shelby cobra and an older porsche 911. Last time i was over there (15-20 years ago?) he was building a Norton dominator and I wanted it baaaaadly.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

Fats posted:

Goddamn fuel pump.

Surprisingly, all the bed bolts came out with a minimum of fuss.

Lol. Sorry but this made me laugh because gently caress ... it's like auto makers engineer the shittiest place possible for fuel pumps.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
My attitude towards repairs also changed once I got a cordless impact wrench. It just makes life easier and the investment pays for itself on your first repair. Impact wrenches are a blessing on a clean car. They are a godsend on cars with rust/corrosion because the combo of torque and vibration do more to loosen rusty fasteners than just trying to torque them off by hand, where you end up snapping bolts.

The first Ryobi wrench that I got sucked and I returned it. It was rated for 200 ft lbs but could never even break my 90ft lbs lug nuts that I torqued myself. Ryobi put out a newer model that was rated for 300 ft lbs, has LEDs on front, 3 speeds, and came with a large 4Ah battery. Its much more powerful and takes lug nuts off in a second. I think it was $125 with the battery. There are more powerful wrenches but they start to get really expensive once you get over the 300-400 ft lbs range.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

STR posted:

So two recommendations for the 300 ft/lb Ryobi cordless, and it's pretty cheap. I think I'm sold.

If you're already in the Ryobi system I would say go for it but make sure you have a 4Ah battery. If you're not tied to the Ryobi battery system I would consider the Rigid for slightly more $$ but it has more torque (450 ft lbs) or the Dewalt (700-1200 ft lbs) for $280 but has significantly more torque for just $100 more. Quite honestly I can't imagine needing more torque for normal auto uses. If I ever have issues with the Ryobi that can't get fixed .. I'm going with the Dewalt. I don't mind having one tool outside of my system if it is worth it.

Keep in mind, Fathers day is right around the corner and Home Depot usually runs good deals on their Ryobi tools with special bundles etc. During the holidays, the good 3 speed impact wrench came with a 4Ah battery and charger for $100 which is $10 cheaper than the tool by itself.

Also, buy a set of impact sockets for your impact wrench. They are different from shiny chrome vanadium hand sockets for a reason ... safety.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
No.

Impact guns make rotating tires so much faster. Just make sure you thread them on/start them by hand. You could seriously gently caress some threads up if you don't.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Ordered some clay bars, new wax and some new pads for my buffer. The 4runner will be looking real good very soon. Hoping to remove some of the trail pinstripes I've accumulated from tight brush over the last year.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
I picked up some clay bars and a variety of buffing pads for my buffer.

Holy poo poo.

My car still has some pretty good trail scratches but it looks infinitely better.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
This looks like a screenshot of GTA Vice City and I won't hear otherwise.

Also, you should get this image airbrushed onto a tee shirt.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Had a basically new arcan floor jack stop functioning while I was trying to rotate my tires. My 4runner was on jack stands when it decided to not want to lock anymore (when you rotate clockwise to allow it to pump). It would just keep rotating as if it were stripped and wouldn't support a load. Yes jacks fail and this is why you use stands/support for safety.

Ill be contacting them for a warranty/return. The dumb cheap floor jack I had previously lasted me forever. This new fancy one lasted a half dozen uses. Luckily I bought it through Costco so if Arcan decides to be dumb, Costco will give me my money back.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Switched up my headlights in the 4 runner from Sylvania star ultras because they only ever seemed to last about 7 months and dealing with their 1 year warranty is a hassle. I went with some cree LED lights instead as they're supposed to last at least 3 years. I like the cooler light, the output didn't seem very bright at first but after driving in the rain at night last night, they were bright.

The only issue is that since LEDs are mounted on 2 sides of a shaft, the light output looks split in the projector similar to a cateye. On the road it didn't seem like a big deal but it made me wonder if it has an impact on light output. I'll likely swap out my high beams and fog lights as well if these last more than a few months.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

Elephanthead posted:

Put new shocks and struts in my ultra rare one of 1.6 million ion / cobalts. Man I love cheap rock auto parts. Took under an hour to replace all corners without air or power tools, no lift. 150 bucks for parts because I sprung for the preloaded struts.

Lol all four on my 4runner are about $400 albeit I went with bilstein height adjustable so it was a bit of an upgrade. That doesn't include springs, new strut mounts or end links. I did the rear a few weeks ago and it took a few hours because the nuts didn't feel like coming off so I had to use a dremel to cut them off. I'm going to tackle the front soon and I'm guessing it's going to take twice as long due to the complication. Also going to replace my cv's while everything is apart.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

Colostomy Bag posted:

Figured as much given the car/structure. One thing I appreciate the Germans did right was the puck system. Beats the hell out of using pinch welds. Nothing like trying to jack up a rustbucket and hearing a crunch as it collapses for an inch or two before she goes up.

My high school car was my parents 89 cavalier I started driving in 2000. It lived its entire life in the rusty midwest so they rusted out quickly. The vertical pinch weld lift spots were flat/gone by the time I was done with the car. Absolutely terrible idea. It wasn't until years later that I saw a friend use a hockey puck that he cut a slot into that I realized there were ways of saving them from getting bent.

Now that I've got a 4runner, I'll likely always own a car with a body on frame design as my primary vehicle.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Went up into the mountains and through some trails so I had a bit of mud and a few scratches to clean off. Washed, waxed and vacuumed this afternoon.

Ita looking like I'll need new tires this summer. I still have some tread but 50-60k miles isn't bad for a set of cheap bfg tires that I negotiated into the car when I bought it.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Replaced the front shocks on my 4runner today. At 160k they were still stock and long overdue to say the least. I replaced the rears a few months back then I broke my hand so I couldn't do the fronts at the same time.

The biggest pain in the dick was the top shock bolt that wouldn't come off. I had to cut them off with a dremel. Jesus Christ the Midwest sucks. So happy I'm in the northwest now. This only spent 4 years in the Midwest and its impressive how quick salt destroys metal fasteners. Next vehicle will likely be new or at least from the northwest and won't have rust issues. Literally everything else came off without issue thanks to my impact wrench. As always it took longer than expected. I was planing to replace my cv axles as well but we were running late on time. Swapped the sway bushings and end links as well. It lifted an inch and the ride is 100x better. No more clunking over bumps, wandering down the street etc. Corners are flat. Just need an alignment tomorrow morning.

Verman fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Jul 9, 2018

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
I can't talk, I have a google spreadsheet of car maintenance since I do most everything myself. It helps keep track of things and when I did them last.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
I get a TPMS warning a few times a year and its always my spare. At this point I'm pretty sure its the original and it has a slow leak. I'll be replacing my tires on the 4runner at the end of the summer (either some Falken wildpeak at3w or nitto terra grappler g2) and I'll probably pick up a new spare (pretty sure its an original).

Also ordered a new taillight because I backed into a concrete column in my parking garage at work. Buffed out most of the damage but it did take a little paint off the metal rear quarter panel which sucks and now I need to decide what to do with it.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
A buddy of mine texted me to stop by his place last night. His friend has an 85.5 Porsche 944 that he was running at the track over the weekend and then heard a knock which appeared to correlate to engine speed.

I've never worked on a porsche so I was mostly curious at that point. I drove over mostly to gawk plus he said a pizza was on its way. They changed the oil and I see in the plastic mesh a number of rather large metal cornflakes which doesn't look promising. They've got the engine supported,and are working on getting the steering rack moved out of the way for better access to the oil pan.

After what seems like far too long trying to undo the cross member, we are finally able to drop the oil pan and have a look.

Hmm, number 2 looks bone dry. Lets just grab a hold of it and *clunk clunk clunk clunk*. Well I wonder where that rod bearing went?

Oh there it is.

And there's the rest of it.

After finally confirming that we cleaned up and called it a night at 1am. He's having his engine guy come by to take a look and determine what the next steps are. Can't say that I'm jealous. Also, working on a small car makes me appreciate all the room my 4runner has for working on things. And my buddies garage is really nice, but I wish I had my tools there. It would have made the job 10x easier/faster.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Worn sway bar bushings or end links? When I upgraded my shocks I also replaced my sway bushings and end links and all front end noise vanished.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

Wasabi the J posted:

Nothing makes changing oil easier than Subarus upside-down-in-it's-own-cup oil filter fitting, and fitting a Fumoto valve drain plug on my wife's Impreza.

Done in literally a minute or two depending on the temperature.

My 4runner is the same way. Thanks Toyota for thinking of me. Top side filter with a catch cup as well as a fumoto valve and a slight lift on the front makes oil changes a breeze. No jack stands, no mess.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Leave it in a shady area with the keys in the ignition and hope someone takes it. Or set it on fire. Seeing that kind of rust gives nne anxiety.

gently caress if trying to remove your license plate doesn't take 8 hours and all of your tools because the rust caused 3 other major repairs in the process and now you have a hole in your rear gate that you have to fix and paint.

And I love 4runners ...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

Colostomy Bag posted:

lol, don't move to the rust belt. That is quite normal. Disheartening, but normal. I need to do a brake job on my better half's expedition. I'll take some pictures. You'll have a stroke.

Moved out of the Midwest 3 years ago.

My license plate change on my 4runner ... sheared the bolt head off. Tried using an extractor, broke that too. Tried drilling it out with zero success. Ended up going through the inside of the rear gate and had to cut the threaded nut off the gate as rust fused the bolt into the nut. I jb welded a new one in there and painted it to high heaven. I think I spent 8 or more hours on it.

Now I live in Seattle where people have daily drivers most Midwest have never seen before because they withered away into rust dust decades ago. I'm always amazed even I see an 80s era Toyota pickup in immaculate condition or a pristine 1988 ford tempo. Those were high school cars for my generation and I recall being able to pull pieces of people's cars off by hand.

As someone who works on my own cars, I'll gladly buy a new vehicle out here just to have the experience of maintaining a vehicle where the bolts /nuts come off like they're supposed to. I don't know what that's like. My 4 runner only spent 4 years in the Midwest so my frame is solid but the smaller pieces and fasteners got pretty rusty.