Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I turned my doors into a speaker enclosures today. Added weight oh noes!

Also, this happened around the corner from me the other day:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I tried that once, thought it was sealed, and it went flying off on the interstate. Scared the poo poo out of me.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Oh poo poo wires and stuff.

Amp nice and snug as a bug in a rug :)

Old school Alpine EQ era 1994 :hellyeah:

Got everything hooked up and found out the speakers are garbage :(

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

GET EM SLUGGER posted:

Oh god, I love the EQ. The memories that brings back...

Yeah I love it too, but I starting to wonder if it's the reason my speakers sound like poo poo.....Gonna have to disconnect it to rule it out, crossing my fingers I won't have to trash it.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Your Mazda 5? That's awfully soon for the gelenkscheibensatz to be failing on such a new car.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

trouser chili posted:

You know, that car is four years old already. Got nearly 50k on it, but I agree it's too early for rubber components to be failing on it. Despite that, there is an annoying mystery clunk from the rear suspension. Most noticeable at slow speed over undulating roads, I suspect a swaybar endlink or bushing, but I can't find which one. They all look ok.

Pretty sure sockington had the same issue with his, and iirc it was the shock mounts he had replaced under warranty. It's in his thread if you feel like going through it.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Back in the day we would just put struts on the floor, aim the top hat at a wall and let it fly.

Made for some interesting dodge ball type maneuvers when they came back at us.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I would have bought a Mazda2 from them but they didn't have any manuals in stock at the time. Good thing because I went to see an automatic locally in person and deemed it just to small for my needs.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

The only thing I really don't like on my Scion xB was the steering wheel, made of a rough textured plastic that felt horrible. Looking around scion has new ones for $$$ but then I found out the Rav4 wheels are a bolt in and found one in excellent condition on ebay for $90.

Original wheel, you can see the rough texture in the pic.

Side by side with the leather Rav4 wheel on the left.

Buttons swapped over as the Rav4 buttons don't work with the Scion airbag. Gonna snag a Rav4 airbag down the road so I can use the phone control buttons as well. They are expensive tho, maybe I can find one cheap eventually.

New leather hotness.

Not a bad upgrade for $90 huh?

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Mr-Spain posted:

No that's a great upgrade. I had a company car that was a 09 scion xD and my personal car was a 08 Civic Si with a wonderful small diameter leather wrapped wheel. The Scions was just unpleasant.

Yeah I don't get it, never really had a problem with a steering wheel before this car. But once you're used to a leather wheel everything else feels crappy. Feels so much nicer, I lucked out finding this one, most of the ones I saw were pretty scuffed up and lovely.

Next on the list is TRD lowering springs to get rid of the lovely wheel gap :)

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Been collecting parts for my xB and gonna try to get everything put in in one day.....But it will probably take two or three :v:

TRD springs and shocks are on the way :getin:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Installing TRD springs and shocks on my xB. Got a late start as usual.

Also installing a wheel spacer kit on the rear wheels, so I decided to do that first. xB's rear wheels are sunk in more than the fronts, the kit will even things out. I broke this cinder block using it to pound out the studs.

Installing longer studs. I was worried at this point because I didn't think my cordless impact would be up for the task, but it did ok I was kind of surprised.

Shims on the front bolts of the hubs to compensate for the toe-in from lowering. I was told this size (1/64) will be enough but I guess I'll find out for sure when it's aligned.

Studs in and spacers on. Also changed the brake pads and did a quick de glazing job on the rotors with a sander :v:

My portable work bench. Got this from work for free and I don't know how i ever lived without one.

Replacing the studs was way more of a PITA than I thought it would be so that's all I got done today, hopefully will have everything finished up tomorrow then I'll post some before and after pics.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

:perfect:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Jesus Christ

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Finished installing springs and shocks.

Before

After

Kinda hard to tell in the pic, but the spacers in the rear made a big difference, it looks like it should now even with the front width wise.

Drives great too, going for an alignment tomorrow hoping for a even better improvement after that. Then a rear sway bar will be the icing on the cake because supposedly that makes the biggest improvement overall handling wise.

Applebees Appetizer fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Apr 24, 2019

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Spent the weekend on the beach and had my car fully loaded. First time I've had the board and my bike on the roof at the same time and it did well, no issues on the interstate.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Previa_fun posted:

I know you've had the Xb for a couple years now, any issues with oil consumption? My wife had a tC with the same engine and I was throwing in a quart or so every few weeks toward the end. There was a TSB involving piston replacement, I think.

They solved that issue after 2010, mine is a 2012.

It does burn a little bit if I'm on the interstate a lot (higher rpm's), but it's well within an acceptable amount.

But yeah I did my research, 2011 or later for cars with that engine which includes the camry as well.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Spent the weekend on the beach and had my car fully loaded. First time I've had the board and my bike on the roof at the same time and it did well, no issues on the interstate.

:(

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

stevewm posted:

drat, what happened?

Drunk driver ran a red light and killed my car.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

doogle posted:

That sucks man, but at least he didn’t kill you.

Yeah I was lucky. the car did it's job (yay modern cars), but I'm kinda sad it's gone now it was a cool and good car.

My son loved it (he called it the Xbox) and all the other kids in the neighborhood thought it was cool. Was gonna give it to my son when he got his license so he's kinda bummed about it too....But hey I'm alive and can get another one. Gonna look at a white 2014 with a manual that's close by, too bad the color on mine is pretty rare I really liked that color.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Needed something to do so i painted the wheel covers on my xB. One can of graphite wheel paint and one can of matte clearcoat did the trick, looks a lot better than stock silver for $14.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Rhyno posted:

What the hell???

I thought you had the cool Scion xB???

Lol the first gen is too slow. These have the 2.4 with much better torque. I think it's cool :colbert:

Plus this generation of xB saved my life, they are really safe cars. This one is a 2015, last year they made them.

opengl128 posted:

They're offering 0% at 84 months on Mustangs, do the needful.

Nah, probably gonna get a Miata or Wrangler for my fun vehicle.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

tehk posted:

Mounted my baby turbo and started welding up my hotside

Geez us

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

STR posted:

loving POs... and loving $1600 cars too.

So glad I'm not dealing with that poo poo anymore, I did for years until I was able to afford a newer low mileage Toyota econobox that only needs gas. It's been wonderful not having to worry about poo poo breaking, having to repair it in a rush late into the night because I have to go to work the next day or something. That and my wife driving a Lexus has effectively eliminated any wrenching on cars for anything but regular maintenance, my tools are collecting dust now and I'm good with that :v:

Applebees Appetizer fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Apr 7, 2020

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Holy poo poo I'd be loving livid

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

nadmonk posted:

Probably the same bastard that slacked off on the rest.

Was just gonna say that. And if you got billed for it, he got paid for it.

Unless you're talking about the grease monkey that changed the oil, those guys are usually paid hourly tho.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I laughed :v:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Did brakes and installed a new 50% stiffer Hotchkis front sway bar.

The sway bar ended up being a real pain in the dick, had to disconnect a lower control arm to get it out. Working under a car with jackstands sucks btw.

Also my Mighty Vac took a poo poo so i decided to buy the Harbor Freight version instead, half the price! Well it was DOA created no vacuum whatsoever and this was after I already had the brakes done wanting to flush the fluid and bleed. Eneded up having to gravity flush/bleed and the POS vacuum pump is going back to harbor freight.

Car rides great now tho. With both the rear and front Hotchkis bars and a strut tower bar it has significantly reduced body roll and for the price I'm pretty happy with it, each bar was about $150. Have yet to see how much of a difference the Hawk pads will make once I'm towing my boat.

Applebees Appetizer fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Mar 17, 2023

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Darchangel posted:

Did you get the plastic one or the brass one? I've had good luck with the brass one after my actual Might Vac plastic one took a poo poo after 20 years or so.

It was the brass one, no vacuum whatsoever. Luck of the draw I guess, my HF record with tools must have been too good so the HF gods had to even it out :v:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

unzin posted:

Can't get the dealer to lube up my front sway bar bushings because it doesn't have zerk fittings. What the gently caress, just undo 6 bolts and slop some grease on them.

It's not always that easy, what year, make and model do you own?

I recently swapped out the front sway bar on my Scion and it was a pain in the dick, I had to disconnect the passenger side control arm to get it out which then meant I had to pre load the control arm bushing at ride level when putting it back together. All that would have had to be done to grease the bushings as well so hopefully I won't have to do that anytime soon lol.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Baby's first bath :v:

So I'm not sure what the hell the Lexus dealership put on the tires but it was some horrid tire dressing poo poo that's like a gel coating magnet for dirt. After scrubbing them with tire cleaner twice this is what they still looked like

Then after using my secret weapon which is Stoner's Tarminator (tar and sap cleaner)

It baffled me how hard I had to work at cleaning brand new tires, most tire dressings are not worth it. I learned the tar and sap remover method from a BMW forum and will never use dressing ever again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

I'm a big fan of Stoner's Invisible Glass but haven't used any of their other stuff. May have to give that tire stuff a look.

Only the Stoner's brand works for some reason, I have tried other tar and sap cleaners and they don't work.

Use it after initially cleaning the tires while washing the car, I use Bleche White tire cleaner to scrub off the majority of the poo poo first.

Then when the tires are fully dry, spray the Tarminator on a rag/cloth (soak it down good), then wipe away, turning the rag as it gets dirty and it will be horrible especially the first time you do it. Use old rags because they will have to be thrown out after use.

Once used on a regular basis the tires will just look new and clean, much better than shinny and goopy.