Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CaligulaKangaroo
Jul 26, 2012

MAY YOUR HALLOWEEN BE AS STUPID AS MY LIFE IS

MildManeredManikin posted:

So as long as we're talking about script writing, I have a question. Where is a good place to start? Do you start with the setting or the plot or do you start with the theme and messages? I've been trying to write a few scripts now but I always get stopped partway because I don't know how it all comes together.

Ultimately, it comes down to whatever idea came first. Or at least the idea that made you want to write the story in the first place. It can be anything really. Plot, setting, character, idea, genre, macguffin, some combination of, etc. Just pick the one most important to the story you want to tell, and work out from there.

If you decide you want to write something set in your hometown, come up with what it is about your hometown you want to convey. What you've seen, what you think is interesting, what misconceptions people have. More times than not, patterns in thinking will emerge, and themes will develop naturally, just by virtue of the story being from your perspective.

If you get the theme first, do the same thing. Think of all the aspects of that theme, and find the ways to best represent them in a narrative. What place, time, people, etc. Then you can refine everything so it actually feels living, and all your motifs feel organic in the story.

Once you have your seed, and you come up with everything that's interesting about that seed, you'll have a solid base you can build off of. Your list might even look like a really bare bones outline in and of itself.

A good next step is to come up with your ending. At least where you want your story to go, or what your main characters are working towards. That'll help focus your story, since it'll provide an idea how everything should tie together. Once you've got acts one and three, two becomes a matter of filling in the blanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaligulaKangaroo
Jul 26, 2012

Hey cool that's pretty much what I did once I was no longer busy, now I've just got to force myself to do the brute work and hammer out the rest. I am 90% sure I am writing the shittiest thing but I don't care.

Eh... if piece sucks, just pick out the things you liked and start over. Not gonna lie, most of my writing consists of bits and pieces of other, crappier things I've written.

Unrelated to playwriting, the show I've been doing tech for recently is phenomenal but the work I've had to do was terrible, mostly due to a lovely venue. This is community theatre so I guess it's expected but christ man I was working 15 hours one day. One guy worked 16 hours that day. A literal slave gets better hours for the same wage.

Community theatre will kick your rear end if you're working tech. Local here is actually an old re-purposed movie theater, so it's extremely unfriendly to live theatre. Stage is too small, extremely limited room in the wings, no set shop what so ever (all set pieces have to be constructed on stage), and no place to store set pieces not currently in use other than the balcony. Carrying flats down a narrow staircase is always fun.

But hell, I still do it.

CaligulaKangaroo
Jul 26, 2012

Lighting systems are intimidating as hell. But if you have someone to walk you through the circuits, you're already past the worst part if it. Are you just helping with the light design, or are you running the board during the show?

CaligulaKangaroo
Jul 26, 2012

Look Under The Rock posted:

Opening night of the play I'm directing and I'm hella nervous. I've been mentally working on this show (What the Time Traveler Will Tell Us) for a year now and we've been in production since February. Certain tech elements have only been in place for a week and I had to drag my boyfriend into running projections on it. (here's an album with photos from a dress rehearsal -- http://imgur.com/a/oJd9r)

Nice art direction. The costumes and the set really seem to work well together.

• Locked thread