Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bozart
Oct 28, 2006

Give me the finger.
Could I get a recommendation for an interesting fantasy or historical fiction like Rise of a Merchant Prince or Mistress of the Empire by Feist, or the Curse of Chalion (etc) by Lois McMaster Bujold, or The Saga of Recluse by L. E. Modesitt Jr.? Also scratch off JV Jones. Something with intrigue and fleshed out characters, but not ludicrously longwinded.

Honestly Recluse isn't even that hot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bozart
Oct 28, 2006

Give me the finger.
Coming back here for more recommendations: this time, anything like A Short History of Nearly Everything - preferably focused on mathematics (and not a Brief History of Time) or anything with a similar tone and breadth in a different subject?

Bozart
Oct 28, 2006

Give me the finger.
Could I get a good suggestion for a sci fi book focused on something like alien archeology? Not like Indiana Jones in space, but more investigative. I've already read all of Niven's stuff. Thanks!

Bozart
Oct 28, 2006

Give me the finger.
Shot in the dark: I have recently re-read Saturnalia and A Lion on Tharthee - two of my favorite books growing up. Are there any other books like this? Space travel and hard-ish sci fi from an engineering standpoint, with characters that actually screw up in some ways?

Bozart
Oct 28, 2006

Give me the finger.
I've always loved the combination of sci fi (and fantasy) and a good mystery. Can someone recommend a good one - I've already read all of Niven, Bujold and McDevitt, and I'm a little sick of the urban fantasy. Any recommendations? I'm thinking something like Icarus Hunt by Zahn, but I would also like something with a more xeno-archeological bent (like, what happened to all of these dead aliens???)

Thanks!

Bozart
Oct 28, 2006

Give me the finger.
Anyone have a recommendation for a fictional story about an astronaut, or astronaut training, or both? I've read the martian and seven eves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bozart
Oct 28, 2006

Give me the finger.

Junkie Disease posted:

I have a family member that is addicted to anything based on Aliens are/were here stuff. Any actually good?

The Dig by Matt Turner is kind of like that and is a nice read.