Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Franchescanado posted:

Nice. Let the Right One In is a really good choice.

I looked up my Goodreads horror shelf and the only other thing you guys might like is Something Wicked This Way Comes, which mixes existential horror with actual horror and it's pretty disturbing (despite being aimed at kids). The only caveat is that it takes place on Halloween.

More Bradbury: There Will Come Soft Rains. The October Game is another short (and also Halloween-based) tale.

I'm a big fan of Ann Rivers Siddons' The House Next Door, but remember a goon or two who thought it was awful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

I was thinking The October Game but it's a short story book, which I don't want to do twice in a row (as previously explain)

Love me some Martian Chronicles tho

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Epic High Five posted:

What are some good books that I can put forward when it comes my turn to pick that have more going for it than just the horror aspect?

The Cipher by Kathe Koja or One Bloody Thing After Another by Joey Comeau.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

Rolo posted:

Like what?

http://www.eldritchpress.org/ac/blackmonk.htm

ArmadilloConspiracy
Jan 15, 2010

Chas McGill posted:

We Have Always Lived in the Castle by Shirley Jackson. It isn't supernatural, it's well written, and it's unnerving.

I was going to suggest this one for exactly those reasons.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

Yesterday I stumbled upon this book The Way Of Kings by Brandon Sanderson. It seems to have a hell of a following on the web. I read some of the free sample on amazon and it seems well written and somewhat fun, but as a person that doesn't read fantasy books often it is way way heavy on the World of Warcraft/skyrim content.

I'd be down to read it as it was fun. My main question is, is it worth it? It would be good to know how this book pans out as a read before diving into a 1,300 page commitment.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Blind Rasputin posted:

Yesterday I stumbled upon this book The Way Of Kings by Brandon Sanderson. It seems to have a hell of a following on the web. I read some of the free sample on amazon and it seems well written and somewhat fun, but as a person that doesn't read fantasy books often it is way way heavy on the World of Warcraft/skyrim content.

I'd be down to read it as it was fun. My main question is, is it worth it? It would be good to know how this book pans out as a read before diving into a 1,300 page commitment.

It's going to be a ten book series of 1300 page books, of which only two are out (with the third due later this year). That's not necessarily a bad thing, I just felt you should understand that the commitment is much larger than one 1300 page book.

As far as content goes, Sanderson is a competent, if not outstanding, writer that is very, very big on world building and establishing rules for magic that are as logically consistent as possible. He knows how to move a story along for the most part, which is impressive considering how long his books tend to be. He's also improving with each book written.

All that said, if you are not a die-hard fan of the fantasy genre, I'd recommend giving Way of Kings a miss.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
He is competent in that he uses grammer, and he is not outstanding in that he is bad and trite.

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

Franchescanado posted:

He is competent in that he uses grammer, and he is not outstanding in that he is bad and trite.

I'm not a fan of his writing but he's continuing a pretty long tradition in Fantasy of meh writer but excellent world builder. Some people really love that style. He was the perfect choice to finish the Wheel of Time for that very reason, Robert Jordan definitely fell in that camp (Tolkein too imo but at least he did it first and created the template).

Sanderson's magic systems are great though, it's a shame his writing and characters aren't as good as his ideas. I can't handle his multivolume stuff (skipped Stormlight altogether and noped out of Mistborn after one book) but some of his one-offs are decent just for the setting and magic system; The Emperor's Soul and the first Legion book (which isn't even really Fantasy) were both pretty enjoyable.

Echo Cian
Jun 16, 2011

Blind Rasputin posted:

I love fantasy and I found Way of Kings unreadable and gave up a quarter of the way in.

Read Catherynne Valente instead.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

As it's still Cinco de Mayo, I thought I'd come and ask - are there any good layman-level books to read to learn about Mexico, the Battle of Puebla, or anything about Mexican Independence? I've been in a mood for learnin' things so why not ask. :D

Admiral101
Feb 20, 2006
RMU: Where using the internet is like living in 1995.

StrixNebulosa posted:

As it's still Cinco de Mayo, I thought I'd come and ask - are there any good layman-level books to read to learn about Mexico, the Battle of Puebla, or anything about Mexican Independence? I've been in a mood for learnin' things so why not ask. :D

If you're looking for something fun... Aztec by Gay Jennings.

Disclaimer: it's firmly in the genre of "historical fantasy" as opposed to "historical fiction"

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
I am looking to gift a book or a book collection to someone but I'm stumped. She prefers romance books, of the raunchy type - not as dire as 50 Shades but close - and I have absolutely no experience with those. Looking through Amazon I found a Calendar Girl box that looks nice but I could use some reccomendations or counter-reccomendations before I pull the trigger.

I'd prefer something with a definitive ending and that doesn't run for a hundred volumes. It has to be on physical media too.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat
e: i hosed up

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

I have a family member that is addicted to anything based on Aliens are/were here stuff. Any actually good?

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

Junkie Disease posted:

I have a family member that is addicted to anything based on Aliens are/were here stuff. Any actually good?

I liked the Legacy Fleet trilogy, the forever war, the Old Man's War. Those are good sci fi books about aliens and humans fighting or interacting. The expanse series is good. Annihilation and it's series are extremely legit.

I am not sure what genre you meant though.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Blind Rasputin posted:

I liked the Legacy Fleet trilogy, the forever war, the Old Man's War. Those are good sci fi books about aliens and humans fighting or interacting. The expanse series is good. Annihilation and it's series are extremely legit.

I am not sure what genre you meant though.

I think he's talking about like ancient astronaut and ufo stuff, not fiction.

Bozart
Oct 28, 2006

Give me the finger.

Junkie Disease posted:

The Dig by Matt Turner is kind of like that and is a nice read.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

I'm about to finish A Canticle for Leibowitz and the previous book I enjoyed this much was The Name Of The Rose, so apparently my jam is allegory through Catholicism.

What else would fit this bill? Doesn't need to be Catholicism but I'm enjoying strong religious undertones, thoughts and discussions. Preferably fiction.

Oh, I also loved The Temple of the Golden Pavilion.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Did you try Foucault's Pendulum?

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Megabound posted:

I'm about to finish A Canticle for Leibowitz and the previous book I enjoyed this much was The Name Of The Rose, so apparently my jam is allegory through Catholicism.

What else would fit this bill? Doesn't need to be Catholicism but I'm enjoying strong religious undertones, thoughts and discussions. Preferably fiction.

Under Satan's Sun by Georges Bernanos

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Did you try Foucault's Pendulum?

I did, I found it a bit much for me.

A human heart posted:

Under Satan's Sun by Georges Bernanos

Thanks, added to the list.

Megabound fucked around with this message at 09:44 on May 10, 2017

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Oh these are great sci-fi reccomendations.
He's looking more for Aliens are real crap

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Megabound posted:

Walter Wangerin Jr.'s The Book of the Dun Cow is pretty good, although Wangerin is Lutheran, not Catholic.

Transistor Rhythm
Feb 16, 2011

If setting the Sustain Level in the ENV to around 7, you can obtain a howling sound.

Megabound posted:

read all Frederick Buechner. I recommend Godric and the first Bebb Novel ("Lion Country?" they all come as an omninbus these days).

Transistor Rhythm
Feb 16, 2011

If setting the Sustain Level in the ENV to around 7, you can obtain a howling sound.

Blind Rasputin posted:

I love big dumb epic fantasy doorstoppers and can even border on indiscriminate when it comes to reading them, but I couldn't make it through that first Way of Kings book. Sanderson's a great dungeon master but his writing is so bad I couldn't deal with it. He's also really, really bad about using 20th century words and terms in a world that blatantly wouldn't use them, like having a character say "radical!" and another one eating a "hoagie," stuff like that.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Transistor Rhythm posted:

I love big dumb epic fantasy doorstoppers and can even border on indiscriminate when it comes to reading them, but I couldn't make it through that first Way of Kings book. Sanderson's a great dungeon master but his writing is so bad I couldn't deal with it. He's also really, really bad about using 20th century words and terms in a world that blatantly wouldn't use them, like having a character say "radical!" and another one eating a "hoagie," stuff like that.

What does this mean? Played some campaigns with him?

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

Franchescanado posted:

What does this mean? Played some campaigns with him?

I assume it means that he's great at world building and coming up with neat ideas and story hooks but is less great at actually writing/telling the story. Which, imo, would probably make him a frustrating and mediocre DM; I've played in plenty of campaigns where the DM had a great idea but either couldn't guide the players in a way that realized his/her cool ideas or just led to the game not living up to its promise. Which is pretty much how I view his epic fantasy stuff, so still a valid criticism.

You know who probably has played a lot of D&D with Sanderson? Jeopardy champion Ken Jennings. Apparently they were roommates in college or shortly after.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Selachian posted:

Walter Wangerin Jr.'s The Book of the Dun Cow is pretty good, although Wangerin is Lutheran, not Catholic.

Transistor Rhythm posted:

read all Frederick Buechner. I recommend Godric and the first Bebb Novel ("Lion Country?" they all come as an omninbus these days).

Excellent, thank you both for the recommendations.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Was it this thread someone reccd a website where you fed an author's name into it and it spat out a spider graph of authors frequently mentioned alongside?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Way of Kings is great it does something most fantasy can't, be interesting and actually weird.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Mr. Squishy posted:

Was it this thread someone reccd a website where you fed an author's name into it and it spat out a spider graph of authors frequently mentioned alongside?

poo poo, I really am gonna lose my job to a robot

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

CharlestheHammer posted:

Way of Kings is great it does something most fantasy can't, be interesting and actually weird.
...You sure that's the right book? Or genre?

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

poo poo, I really am gonna lose my job to a robot

That's just the sort of a thing a robot would say if it was trying to lay low

ArmadilloConspiracy
Jan 15, 2010

anilEhilated posted:

...You sure that's the right book? Or genre?

Maybe they mean Perdido Street Station?

(I have not read The Way of Kings, but The Final Empire is my current commute audiobook. I enjoy it.)

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Mr. Squishy posted:

http://www.literature-map.com/roger+zelazny.html - which seems to have moved from Gnooks: http://www.gnooks.com/

ulmont fucked around with this message at 20:11 on May 11, 2017

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

The Douglas Adams chart is crazy. Ayn Rand? Ann Rice?

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat

Tiggum posted:

The Douglas Adams chart is crazy. Ayn Rand? Ann Rice?

i cant explain ann rice but ayn rand is 100% because douglas adams is primarily read and discussed by obnoxious dunning-kruger reddit atheists, who are also ayn rand's chief demographic

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Adams is just the same mix of authors of a lot of the poo poo high schoolers read

I never read Anne Rice but my person Adams chart would have Poppy Z. Brite instead

No Rand thankfully, even in high school I was a budding antifa alcoholic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat
yeah actually I did read both Rice and Adams during my freshman year in high school

Epic High Five posted:

No Rand thankfully, even in high school I was a budding antifa alcoholic

same