Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Kvlt! posted:

This might be similar to some reccomendations I've asked for in the past but looking for something a bit different.

Looking for a book that captures the broken, rough and bleak part of the South/Appalachia. If you've ever seen Winter's Bone that kinda deep, rustic, drug-addled, "backwards" setting where the people and places are kinda run-down and husks. Not really looking for the classic Southern Gothic but something maybe a bit more modern?

I recall William Gibson saying on the Coode Street podcast a while ago that he specifically based the near-future Appalachia of The Peripheral on Winter's Bone (and the protagonist on the film's protagonist). I haven't read it yet myself though, so not sure how much of it is set there - a lot of it is in far-future London too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

God remember that freakish '80s era Oz movie where Dorothy goes back and it's all post-apocalyptic and there's those freaks who go on all fours with wheels for hands? Was that in the books?

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Bozart posted:

I've always loved the combination of sci fi (and fantasy) and a good mystery. Can someone recommend a good one - I've already read all of Niven, Bujold and McDevitt, and I'm a little sick of the urban fantasy. Any recommendations? I'm thinking something like Icarus Hunt by Zahn, but I would also like something with a more xeno-archeological bent (like, what happened to all of these dead aliens???)

Thanks!

Pretty broad, but

Blindsight by Peter Watts
Inverted World by Christopher Priest
The First Fifteen Lives of Harry August by Claire North

And echoing Alastair Reynolds, I'd also recommend one of his short story collections like Galactic North.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Can anyone recommend a good "big picture" non-fiction book about the 1920s and the post-WWI period, especially 1918-1923ish? Just something about the social and political changes brought about by such a huge event. Ideally focusing more on Europe than the US, but anything is welcome.