Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

UnbearablyBlight
Nov 4, 2009

hello i am your heart how nice to meet you

IBroughttheFunk posted:

I just recently got into Discworld, and have been devouring the series pretty hard since this winter. Are there any authors out there with a humor style similar to Terry Pratchett's? Excluding Douglas Adams - I read the Hitchhiker''s Guide series several years ago (also, Good Omens is already on the to-read itinerary).

To Say Nothing of the Dog by Connie Willis is a humorous sci fi novel based on this story- if you liked Pratchett you’ll probably enjoy it as well.

The Rivers of London series also strikes a similar tone, though I’ve only read the first one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UnbearablyBlight
Nov 4, 2009

bowser posted:

I'm looking for, uh, "historical fiction" that takes place during or around any of the events of the Bible. I know there's an entire genre of "biblical fiction" but I'm hoping for something that isn't so pushy with religious morals.

The Red Tent? I never read it but I guess it got pretty popular. Not sure how religious it is, but it comes from a Jewish perspective instead of a Christian one, so I assume it’s less obnoxious.

UnbearablyBlight
Nov 4, 2009

The last two books that I read were 11/22/63 and The Plot Against America, and I couldn’t put either of them down. Any recommendations for other books along those lines? What really hooked me was the somewhat recent alternate history angle.

UnbearablyBlight
Nov 4, 2009

Sham bam bamina! posted:

The Public Burning, by Robert Coover.

Thank you, I checked this out last night and it seems interesting.

Take the plunge! Okay! posted:

American Tabloid by James Ellroy is a roughly JFK era, somewhat alternate history novel. If you happen to like it, there’s a sequel

I'm not sure if I'll be into Ellory's writing style, but I will keep this in mind - thank you.

UnbearablyBlight
Nov 4, 2009

newts posted:

Any recommendations for a ‘fun’ math book?

My 14 yo daughter is very interested in math and I’m trying to find her something that’s more interesting than a textbook, but maybe still on the technical side. She’s more math-minded (and probably more talented) than me and I have a PhD in biology.

Throw her into the deep end with Godel Escher Bach. I’m half joking but also I think if I’d read that book when I was in school I would have been way more into math.