Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
I dated a girl who's father read her Moby Dick and other classics instead of kids books, and she recalls it fondly.

It's not always what your reading, it's the fact that you're reading to them that will be remembered.

What I'm saying is read them Ulysses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Brace yourselves, ulvir is about to burst into the thread and recommend Babyfucker

graventy
Jul 28, 2006

Fun Shoe
The Girl Who Drank the Moon was really great, and should be about perfect for her age.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
I’m not going to read Lolita to my children no matter how literary it is.

Mira
Nov 29, 2009

Max illegality.

What would be the point otherwise?

Yo Hieronymous, thanks for the Gormenghast rec. Really enjoying the style so far.

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

Lockback posted:

Looking for suggestions to read to my 8 year old daughter. She reads some stuff on her own but bedtime has been a bit higher level reading, so feel free to go above the regular 2nd grade reading level. So far we've done the first 3 Harry Potters, most of Dahl's books, Phantom Toolbooth, Charlotte's web, Jungle Book. She prefers things that have big worlds around them, so her favorites have been Harry Potter, Phantom Toolbooth and Charlie & the Chocolate Factory.

I'm thinking of doing Rats of Nimh or Howl's Moving Castle. Maybe Redwall, but that seems like it'd maybe not lend itself to reading outloud as much yet. Any other ideas?

i read alice in wonderland obsessively as a kid and i turned out alright

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

Take the plunge! Okay! posted:

Brace yourselves, ulvir is about to burst into the thread and recommend Babyfucker

i've never felt more attacked

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
Anyone can help me with this?

I'm looking for some good reads on the topic of asian organized crime and related (secret?) associations, like the Triads, Tongs, Tiandihui and the like. Also I'd prefer an essay/divulgative book rather than fiction.

IBroughttheFunk
Sep 28, 2012
I just recently got into Discworld, and have been devouring the series pretty hard since this winter. Are there any authors out there with a humor style similar to Terry Pratchett's? Excluding Douglas Adams - I read the Hitchhiker''s Guide series several years ago (also, Good Omens is already on the to-read itinerary).

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

IBroughttheFunk posted:

I just recently got into Discworld, and have been devouring the series pretty hard since this winter. Are there any authors out there with a humor style similar to Terry Pratchett's? Excluding Douglas Adams - I read the Hitchhiker''s Guide series several years ago (also, Good Omens is already on the to-read itinerary).

Yeah, there's plenty of authors who are funnier (and better writers).

Thomas Pynchon, DFW's essays, William Goldman, James Thurber, David Sedaris, Terry Southern, Vladimir Nabakov, Kurt Vonnegut, James Joyce, Daniel Handler, Jon Ronson, Samuel Beckett, Etgar Keret, Joseph Heller, Christopher Moore, Bill Bryson, Robert Rankin, John Irving, Charles Portis (specifically Norwood), Jane Austin, Lorrie Moore, Nell Zink

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat
liked Terry Pratchett? try Thomas Pynchon. like crawling around on the ground? try running a 5k

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

IBroughttheFunk posted:

It isn't fantasy at all, but the humorist to which Pratchett is most often compared is P.G. Wodehouse.

I'd suggest one of these:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3793398 (Wodehouse's Right Ho, Jeeves)

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3758696 (Three Men in a Boat by Jerome K. Jerome)

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3828840 (My Life and Hard Times by James Thurber)

All three of those are funny, easy reads with a similar prose style to Pratchett's -- lots of fast paced humor, lots of dry humor, lots of character based humor.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

chernobyl kinsman posted:

liked Terry Pratchett? try Thomas Pynchon. like crawling around on the ground? try running a 5k

Please. Anyone that's read a Pratchett can "handle" Inherent Vice, The Crying of Lot 49, Vineland or Bleeding Edge, and they're all still funny.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Franchescanado posted:

Yeah, there's plenty of authors who are funnier (and better writers).

Thomas Pynchon, DFW's essays, William Goldman, James Thurber, David Sedaris, Terry Southern, Vladimir Nabakov, Kurt Vonnegut, James Joyce, Daniel Handler, Jon Ronson, Samuel Beckett, Etgar Keret, Joseph Heller, Christopher Moore, Bill Bryson, Robert Rankin, John Irving, Charles Portis (specifically Norwood), Jane Austin, Lorrie Moore, Nell Zink

In addition to this great list, I'll also add Dave Barry and Mike Royko. Dave Barry's best is his Japan book imo, there's a particular sequence from that book (which I read probably 20 years ago) that I still think about every couple of months.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

IBroughttheFunk posted:

While you already contraindicated the suggestion, you didn't mention Dirk Gently, which are the present-day (as everything HGttG did has now suffused all of pop culture) deeper Adams works.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Re: kids' books: has Astrid Lindgren been translated to your language?

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat
going to germany in a couple of months and i'd really like a decent one-volume overview of its history. doesn't need to be comprehensive (obviously), but i'd like it to start in at least the middle ages. alternatively, a book that specifically covers the middle ages and one that covers the 20th century would be good as well. any suggestions?

UnbearablyBlight
Nov 4, 2009

hello i am your heart how nice to meet you

IBroughttheFunk posted:

To Say Nothing of the Dog by Connie Willis is a humorous sci fi novel based on this story- if you liked Pratchett you’ll probably enjoy it as well.

The Rivers of London series also strikes a similar tone, though I’ve only read the first one.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

Take the plunge! Okay! posted:

why would you think I would recommend that for an 8 year old?

my added suggestions: Jules Verne is always rad for kids. for some added culture, find stuff like Greek and Norse myths, there's a ton of adaptations for children around that you can pick and choose from. also get 1001 nights and aesop's fables and stuff like that

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

ulvir posted:

I don’t, it was a joke. I apologize if I offended you or made you feel bad

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Seconding ulvir’s recommendations. Kids love Greek and Roman myths.

Folk tales and myths in general are appreciated by kids, since they have the sense of wonder and imagination to enjoy them vividly. I also recommend Best Loved Folk-Tales of the World edited by Joanna Cole.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Franchescanado posted:

Folk tales and myths in general are appreciated by kids, since they have the sense of wonder and imagination to enjoy them vividly. I also recommend Best Loved Folk-Tales of the World edited by Joanna Cole.

Best Loved Folk Tales is great for kids.

Also D'Aularie's Book of Greek Myths and Book of Norse Myths are both A+ pro recommends (get the hardcovers)

https://www.amazon.com/DAulaires-Gr...gri+d%27Aulaire

https://www.amazon.com/DAulaires-Norse-Myths-Ingri-dAulaire/dp/159017125X

my dad read these to me and look how i turned out

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 15:35 on May 4, 2019

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

Franchescanado posted:

I grew up with Andrew Lang's colour fairy books and a hefty selection of world myths and folk tales and adore them to this day. Still some of my favourite reading.

edit: http://www.mythfolklore.net/andrewlang/
You can also get cheap editions from Dover Publishing.

DreamingofRoses
Jun 27, 2013
Nap Ghost

ulvir posted:

my added suggestions: Jules Verne is always rad for kids. for some added culture, find stuff like Greek and Norse myths, there's a ton of adaptations for children around that you can pick and choose from. also get 1001 nights and aesop's fables and stuff like that

There are a bunch of Native American folktale books for kids out there too, from a bunch of the different nations. If you’re in the states and up to a little research, look for ones that come from your area. I had one when I was a kid and I miss that book a lot.

cosmin
Aug 29, 2008
Hey sorry for backtracking to the kids book recommendations but i’ve got some great ideas from these posts, especially as i’m from eastern europe and haven’t been exposed to a lot of these classics as a kid.

So - any recommendations for a smaller boy, around 4? He’s loving dr Seuss, where the wild things are, the gruffalo etc but i’d like to try something more adventurous :)

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

cosmin posted:

Hey sorry for backtracking to the kids book recommendations but i’ve got some great ideas from these posts, especially as i’m from eastern europe and haven’t been exposed to a lot of these classics as a kid.

So - any recommendations for a smaller boy, around 4? He’s loving dr Seuss, where the wild things are, the gruffalo etc but i’d like to try something more adventurous :)

Did you want to stick to picture books? If not, you can always read kid's graphic novels together like Amulet, Mouseguard, Lumberjanes etc.. If you did want to do more picture books there are tons \ to go through. Aaron Becker wrote a trilogy of wordless adventure picture books, I think starting with "Journey", that are great. Newer "classic" picture books are stuff like Dragons Love Tacos, Goodnight Construction Site, Pete the Cat. Just kinda depends on what kind of things he's in to. If you're reading a chapter book to him, "The One and Only Ivan" won a Newbery when it came out and is good for younger children. Any of Brian Selznick's huge books (Hugo Cabret, Wonderstruck) are a good mix between chapter book and graphic novel.

Crap I'm editing this post a lot. Torben Kuhlmann has a few children's books with absolutely gorgeous artwork. Edison, Lindbergh, and Armstrong are all fantastic and are a bit longer and wordier than most other picture books.

DeadFatDuckFat fucked around with this message at 22:33 on May 4, 2019

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013

cosmin posted:

The Little Prince by Antoine de Saint Exupery

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

The Pooh books are fun, and my daughter loved Robin Hood/Sherwood stories at 4.

cosmin
Aug 29, 2008

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Did you want to stick to picture books? If not, you can always read kid's graphic novels together like Amulet, Mouseguard, Lumberjanes etc.. If you did want to do more picture books there are tons \ to go through. Aaron Becker wrote a trilogy of wordless adventure picture books, I think starting with "Journey", that are great. Newer "classic" picture books are stuff like Dragons Love Tacos, Goodnight Construction Site, Pete the Cat. Just kinda depends on what kind of things he's in to. If you're reading a chapter book to him, "The One and Only Ivan" won a Newbery when it came out and is good for younger children. Any of Brian Selznick's huge books (Hugo Cabret, Wonderstruck) are a good mix between chapter book and graphic novel.

Crap I'm editing this post a lot. Torben Kuhlmann has a few children's books with absolutely gorgeous artwork. Edison, Lindbergh, and Armstrong are all fantastic and are a bit longer and wordier than most other picture books.

Thanks! No, not necessarily pictures book and all your recommendations are great, although I'm struggling a bit with availability here (if I don't find them localized, usually I just read them in English and translate them on the fly but that's double story time for us both )

The graphic novels seem interesting and will give them a try when I'll be able to find them/order them at a decent price
Journey looks amazing, will hunt it down!
Had no idea about "The one and only Ivan", sound great!
We already have the Kuhlmann books and he loves them!
Selznick's books have escaped me till now although I loved the Hugo movies! Have bought the Marvels as I found it localized and at a good price

quote:

The little prince
The book I read once by myself when I was little, couldn't understand it, abandoned it forever, bought it 3 times to read it as an adult and haven't read it until now! Thanks for the reminder, will be next

quote:

The Pooh books are fun, and my daughter loved Robin Hood/Sherwood stories at 4
Yep, we have one of the picture books based on the Pooh film and he loves it!

thanks everyone for helping out!

cosmin fucked around with this message at 11:15 on May 6, 2019

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Things may come to those who wait...but only the things left by those who hustle.

Not sure of the availability in Eastern europe, but I recall enjoying the one Walter Moers' book I was able to find in English (originally German), the 13 and a half lives of captain bluebear.
Its been a while so you might want to check it for content but it was pretty episodic, had some neat illustrations and would probably lend itself well to being read aloud/together if you can find it in your native tongue.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

cosmin posted:

I'm sure Tove Jansson's Moomin books have been translated into every European language

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

funkybottoms posted:

I'm sure Tove Jansson's Moomin books have been translated into every European language
They do get pretty depressing though.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

cosmin posted:

The graphic novels seem interesting and will give them a try when I'll be able to find them/order them at a decent price

Amulet is the big one at least in the U.S. and hopefully there are translations of the earlier volumes at least. It's very adventurey and based on what you've described of his tastes, he would probably enjoy them a lot. Lumberjanes is more of a girl power type thing so maybe nix that one unless he's okay with not having male characters.

DeadFatDuckFat fucked around with this message at 20:13 on May 6, 2019

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

anilEhilated posted:

They do get pretty depressing though.
god almighty is there anything that some clown online won't call depressing. like im sure the children can handle it man, take it easy.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

A human heart posted:

god almighty is there anything that some clown online won't call depressing. like im sure the children can handle it man, take it easy.

Maybe they're depressing if you have depression? (Of course as a Finn my metric for "depressing Finnish childrens' book" is somewhat skewed by having read "Mr. Huu Moves" as a kid. Everything is "Happy Little Elves" compared to that.)

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

I think I’m finding that I’ve got a taste for incidentally comedic sci-fi/fantasy— not out and out comedy, but stuff that doesn’t take itself too seriously. I loved “The Rook” and “Stiletto,” which are urban fantasy-y, and I’m digging John Scalzi’s stuff, specifically Collapsing Empire and Lock In (which I’m reading now). Is there more along these lines?

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Teddybear posted:

I think I’m finding that I’ve got a taste for incidentally comedic sci-fi/fantasy— not out and out comedy, but stuff that doesn’t take itself too seriously. I loved “The Rook” and “Stiletto,” which are urban fantasy-y, and I’m digging John Scalzi’s stuff, specifically Collapsing Empire and Lock In (which I’m reading now). Is there more along these lines?

David Wong might be to your taste. For older stuff, perhaps James Branch Cabell, or Alexei Panshin's Anthony Villiers books. And, of course, Bridge of Birds.

spandexcajun
Feb 28, 2005

Suck the head for a little extra cajun flavor
Fallen Rib

Teddybear posted:

I just finished the 3rd Murderbot , I would say "The Murderbot Diaries" are a perfect fit for "incidentally comedic sci-fi". I am sad I only have one more short story to go.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

IBroughttheFunk posted:

Rob Reid's Year Zero

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

cosmin posted:

I have been reading Frog and Toad by Arnold Lobel recently and absolutely love it. My daughter is not old enough to understand yet, but I can see this being a keeper just on the basis of how much I enjoy them.

I have a request for a book, something that might help me get to grips with concepts like patriotism and identity. I am someone who has always been very anti-British (my nationality) essentially on basis of that "I didn't choose to be born here" and want to challenge myself. I guess, I am not really 100 % sure of what I am looking for, but am open to ideas. To be clear, I am not looking to be converted to some sort of nationalist position, but understand in a layman friendly way the history and philosophy behind all this stuff. If indeed there is such a book.