Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

So there was a guy selling a bunch of books on my campus today, and I picked up a few. One of them I got on a whim was William S Burrough's The Western Lands, without knowing that it was part of a trilogy. Can anyone tell me if I need to read the other two parts, or if they're relatively self-contained?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

I'm looking for good existential dread, but Lovecraft kind of turns me off. I realize we circumvented this subject a little earlier in the thread, but if there is something like the Prometheus movie series that I can really sink my teeth into, I'd like to know.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Anybody have a sci fi recommendation for somebody looking for more Stanislaw Lem? I only read The Futurological Congress and seen the film Solaris, but would like a good heady satirical sci fi like him.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Safety Biscuits posted:

John Sladek, definitely, and maybe Robert Sheckley. Oh, and Vonnegut.

Some company is reissuing old Lem and going to translate some previously unavailable stuff, btw.

Thanks guys. I’m picking up that new translation of His Master’s Voice.

But I’ll have all those other names written down. Although I’ve read my share of Vonnegut.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Humerus posted:

For westerns, this may be so obvious you've read it already but True Grit by Charles Portis is really good.

I’ve always wanted to read his previous book Norwood but have never been able to find a cheap copy. I hear it’s also a great read.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Okay, thread, long shot here, but how about a book about the history of surf culture in Hawaii? Or maybe just a good non-fiction about Hawaii? I could use a book that has chill island vibes to take me away.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Are the books any good? I’m only familiar with the films and their...baggage.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Books covering the fall of the Soviet Union? Preferably from the perspective of the Soviets? Fiction or non-fiction.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Iambic Pentameter posted:

Any recommendations for comedic books? I prefer kinda dry humor, really big fan of the John Dies at the End series

A Fraction of the Whole by Steve Toltz.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

I would like a really good poetry book. Sorry to be vague, but I’m looking for a collection that just feels like a breath of fresh air. There are some emotions/vibes that only poetry can properly execute and I would like something that can excel in its execution. Doesn’t have to be new, but would like to avoid some of the major players.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

I just mean ones like Keats, Dickenson, Neruda, T.S. Eliot, Borges, Yeats, and James Joyce. Names which a passing poetry reader would probably already be familiar with. I think my favorite poems have originated from South American poets, but am not tied to that part of the world.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

What’s the best way to get into the works of Carl Jung? I wanna understand this subconscious poo poo, what exactly it means for something to be ‘jungian’ straight from the horses mouth.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Anybody have suggestions on poetry books that feel ‘black metal’?

I’ve been reading some poetry recently which has been awesome. I’ve been rereading Galway Kinnell’s The Book of Nightmares which shares the vibe I’m looking for.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

COPE 27 posted:

Rimbaud - A Season in Hell

I actually have this book and read it not too long ago. I’ll give it another spin.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Has anybody read Heat 2? Would you recommend it? Seems like the coolest book ever to be caught reading.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

What book should I read next?

I have a small pile of books and they all seem good and will read them all eventually. But I want to know what, in your opinion, is a real knockout. All of these are new to me.

1) The Complete Stories of Flannery O’Connor
2) Vanity Fair - William Thackeray
3) Norwood - Charles Portis (This guy wrote True Grit, but this is more of a comedy)
4) Dubliners - James Joyce
5) Room to Dream - David Lynch & Kristina McKenna

I’ll read the first rec.

Kart Barfunkel fucked around with this message at 08:55 on Nov 27, 2023

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Class it up with Patrick O’Brien’s Master and Commander series.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Okay, thread. You guys really helped me last time, got me to finally jump on Dubliners which was excellent, so I’m gonna try again. (Seriously, Dubliners reminded me how great a book can be, and it really helped reignite my passion for reading.) Here are 5 books in my TBR pile that I intend to read. What should I read first/which do YOU think is the best?

1. The Book of Disquiet by Fernando Pessoa
2. Madame Bovary, Flaubert (Bair translation)
3. Titus Groan, Mervyn Peake
4. City of Quartz, Mike Davis (only nonfic)
5. Roadside Picnic, Strugatskys

I’ll read the first suggestion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

newts posted:

Any recommendations for a ‘fun’ math book?

My 14 yo daughter is very interested in math and I’m trying to find her something that’s more interesting than a textbook, but maybe still on the technical side. She’s more math-minded (and probably more talented) than me and I have a PhD in biology.

Flatland by Edward Abbott?