Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

A philosophy of occultism book in the vein of The Necronomicon (NOT H.P. Lovecraft's book) or the Satanic Bible.

I don't actually believe in any of that stuff I just think they are interesting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Hey all, I have pretty bad ADHD and ain't much of a reader but I'd like to get back into it.

I'm looking for some Western/Country/Southern books. Can be set in pretty much any time period. The type of book that would be perfect to read when you're out camping under the stars chewing tobacco and drinking cowboy coffee type stuff. Similar to Lonesome Dove, but at the same time relatively not dense and easy to read. Any suggestions boys?

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Selachian posted:

Why not go back to the wellspring of the Western genre: Owen Wister's The Virginian.

(I also really want to recommend Zane Grey's Riders of the Purple Sage, but it's a more complicated book and it might not be for you if you want something simple.)

I love Zane Grey, I read him a lot when I was younger.

Maybe something a bit more dark? Think like No Country For Old Men, as a separate recommendation as well.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Stravinsky posted:

Blood Merridan by Cormac McCarthy. Your that weirdo death/rape fetishist so you would probably like it.

Sweet thanks. Is this one part of a series or a stand-alone book?

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

What are some books that are about isolation/loneliness and sadness?

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Hey guys!

I have pretty bad ADHD and it's very, very difficult for me to read. I read as a little kid and then as I grew up I found I just could not do it anymore. I'm looking to start reading again for fun as I really want to be able to enjoy books but they are really hard for me to focus on. Can anyone reccomend the best books about the UFC/MMA fighting? Maybe more from an individual fighter's perspective rather than an overview of UFC/MMA. Trying to avoid really dry, dense books. As childish as it sounds, the more "casually" a book is written the easier it is for me to read. Thanks everyone!

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

dokmo posted:

I enjoyed Big John McCarthy's autobio Let's Get It On, which isn't exactly the most difficult read, but not terribly written either. Full of great anecdotes by someone who's been around the sport forever.

This one is perfect! Spot-on suggestion. Thank you man!

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Can anyone reccomend some good books written by firefighters or EMTs about their lives and professions?

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

m.hache posted:

Any recommendations for someone that just finished the Malazan Chronicles?

I'd love something that mixed magic with technology (Hopefully a completed series so I don't get blue balled waiting for the next book).

I started Reading Geomancer http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geomancer_%28Well_of_Echoes%29 and am enjoying it but would like to put other things on my list to read.

I've never read it, but the Mistborn series might fit the bill. My friend raves about it.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

I'm having kind of a hard time articulating the type of book I'm looking for.

Basically if you are familiar with the depressive-suicidal black metal genre of music, something like that in a book.

Depression, suicide, self-destruction, grief, loss, mental illness- in a narrative/story. Not like a "I went to a mental hospital and this is my experience" type thing...more of a work of fiction. An exploration of themes I listed before in a narrative/novel. I'm not even sure if something like this exists.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Hedrigall posted:

Are... are you okay? :sympathy:

I'm all good man :) Thank you though!

And thank you all for the suggestions, looks like I've got some book shopping to do!

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Mr. Squishy posted:

I don't think that would quitecut it. He's the chap from CineD who's ceaselessly looking for as close to snuff as possible.
I'd recommend William S. Burroughs and JG Ballard, I guess?

My reputation precedes me.

As long as I'm book shopping, might as well ask for some more recommendations. What are some horror-ish psychedelic books? Like...if Electric Wizard were to write a book. If movies like Suspiria or [b]Videodrome[b] were books...maybe a bit more pulpy? If Electric Wizard were to write a book...that would be what I'm looking for.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

ulvir posted:

No Longer Human, The Book of Disquiet, The Clown, Hunger, arguably Confessions of a Mask

edit: Doctor Glas, too

You hit the nail on the head. Thank you!

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

What are some Gothic/romantic books? Think like Dracula or the Anne Rice Vampire Chronicles?

Not as much looking for the modern "True Blood"-esque or teen vampire fiction, more the old school stuff.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

What are some gothic/romantic vampire books that are a little more on the serious side. Think more like Interview With a Vampire, not really anything like Twilight.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Can anyone recommend some good crime/horror books? Like a detective novel but with more horror/dark elements. Can be supernatural or not.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

This might be similar to some reccomendations I've asked for in the past but looking for something a bit different.

Looking for a book that captures the broken, rough and bleak part of the South/Appalachia. If you've ever seen Winter's Bone that kinda deep, rustic, drug-addled, "backwards" setting where the people and places are kinda run-down and husks. Not really looking for the classic Southern Gothic but something maybe a bit more modern?

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

funkybottoms posted:

Have you read any of Daniel Woodrell's books? He's the author of Winter's Bone and most of them take place in a similar setting. You could also check out Ron Rash, Joe Lansdale, and Cormac McCarthy.

edit- Mel Mudkiper's picks are good, I just couldn't remember a few of them off the top of my head. Jayne Anne Phillips is another that comes to mind.

In the back of my mind I think I knew Winter's Bone was a book, but I never read it I just saw the movie. Adding it to my list, thanks!

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Oh boy this genre is entirely my poo poo, let me help a brother out

American Rust by Phillip Meyer
A Single Shot by Matthew Jones
Bull Mountain by Brian Panowich
A Land More Kind Than Home by Wiley Cash

These are exactly what I was looking for, you rock dude! Got a long list to work through!

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Can anyone recommend some books about people's descent into madness/addiction/general misanthropy? Sort of looking for the novel equivalent of movies like Bad Lieutenant or Taxi Driver, if such a thing exists.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

I finished Deliver Us From Evil by Ralph Sarchie and really enjoyed it. Does anyone else have other reccomendations for other non-fiction paranormal books? Doesn't have to be exorcisms specifically, anything paranormal or supernatural would be great.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

blue squares posted:

Not sure this exists...

What I mean is the ones that are written as non-fiction, whether they actually are or not is irrelevant.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

I read Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas by Hunter S. Thompson and am now on True Hallucinations by Terrence McKenna. What are some other crazy drug books? I'm less interested in the science/philosophy aspect and more in the "dudes take a ton of drugs and have crazy adventures".

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

mcustic posted:

A Scanner Darkly is dark and brilliant, as well as an utter mindfuck (well, all of Dick is, but you get it).

Trainspotting is fun and hilarious.

I loved the movie of A Scanner Darkly but I never knew it was a book, I'll check that out thanks. I like the movie Trainspotting but the phonetic accent speech in the book is a little off-putting.

Sakurazuka posted:

Naked Lunch, if you can stomach it.

I'll check this out, thanks!

I should add I'm more interested in real life or based in real life books, but am definitely open to novels too.

Kvlt! fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Aug 25, 2016

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

I've been reading a lot of Bukowski and I've been looking for similar stuff: lowlife, addiction, apathy, general scumminess, etc. Short stories are ok but novels are preferred. I'm looking for stuff that is lesser known and not by other beat writers.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

sunken fleet posted:

I used to really like reading RA Salvatore's books about Drizzet and the Dragonlance books about Raistlin - and sort of branched out from there into all sorts of random fantasy dreck. That was many years ago though, I don't read much anymore, so I'm sort of out of touch with who the "good" bad fantasy authors are. That said I'd like to read a book about a necromancer. As in a book where the main character is a High Fantasy magic (wo)man who controls the undead and the book has at least the level of quality(?) that the old Forgotten Realms books had. I don't know if that's too low-brow for this thread but I figure it can't hurt to ask before I spin the roulette by searching the word "necromancer" on amazon.

I'm doing this for a project of sorts.

Not 100% sure if it is what you are looking for but there's the Warhammer Nagash the Necromancer book(s)?

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Literature is interpreted in the era of the reader, not the writer

There is no way to interpret a novel than through contemporary eyes

By this logic we would totally disregard a gargantuan amount of famous literature because it is racist/sexist etc.

It is absolutely possible to read literature whilst taking into consideration the social/political climate of the times in which it was written. Even middle schoolers do it when they read Huckleberry Finn. To say otherwise is simply untrue.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Looking for some medieval fantasy series that are hyper-violent and set in dark and brutal worlds. I'm pretty open as long as it fits those criteria. I've already read all of GoT

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Does anyone have some good dark westerns that are like Cormac Mcarthy's westerns, but without his terrible no punctuation writing style?

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Thanks again for the suggestions everyone. As if I didn't have enough to read, I'm also looking for some good noir-mystery series to dive into, but I'm not a huge fan of first-person narratives. Anyone have some good summer-reading detective series? The darker and more hard-boiled the better.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Unzip and Attack posted:

I'm looking to read some fiction about modern day (1980s and onward) mercenaries / private military contractors. Can be any type (thriller, adventure, mystery, etc). Tried doing some searching and couldn't find much that fits these parameters. Any recommendations would be appreciated!

Not exactly what you are looking for, but I thought i'd throw out My Friend the Mercenary, by James Brabazon. its a super interesting non-fiction about a journalist and his mercenary friend/bodyguard during the Liberian war.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Can someone give me some good goth/gothic book reccomendations? The most Sisters of Mercy, Interview with a Vampire type stuff out there. Any time period is fine. No YA fiction please.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Im looking for more books like the Wind in the Willows or Watership Down where the main characters are all animals and its all about animals

Not Animal Farm please.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Thanks for the reccomendations everyone! Lots of great stuff to read

Sakurazuka posted:

Animals of Farthing Wood series with the caveat that when I read them I was 10.

My dude, thank you for this! I read this series as a kid and have been trying to find the name of it forever

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Looking for a good non-fiction book on angels (meaning a theology book or something similar). Like biblical angels, not modern interpretations of angels. I've tried to find books about biblical, Christian angels but its always new age "how to communicate and heal with the angels" type stuff.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

That book seems perfect! Thank you!

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

MarksMan posted:

Hey everyone, I'm looking for books of any genre that are good stories of revenge. "The Count of Monte Cristo" is one of my favorite books, "Great Expectations" is as well, I liked "Stars My Destination" etc. I like the stories better when it's an extreme arc like in Monte Cristo. Alternatively, I am also looking for recommendations on good books about resistance fighters; non-fiction or fiction is fine. A combination of resistance fighters + revenge tale would be excellent

Does revenge have to be exacted or does it just have to be a revenge oriented story? I love revenge stories and found the Revenant to be excellent because of the sheer lengths the main character goes through to get his revenge

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

MockingQuantum posted:

I don't think you need to spoil that given that the full title of the book calls it "A Novel of Revenge"

I thought my first sentence might spoil some of the story, so I decided to err on the side of caution.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Looking for some books on anarchism for someone who doesn't know a whole lot about it but is interested in the subject. Any good essential readings or places to start?

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

OscarDiggs posted:

Once you get a few names of books, you'll find you can get a lot of them for free from various online repositories!

Conquest of Bread by Peter Kropotkin is like a main stay whenever this question get's asked.

Anarchy in Action by Colin Ward is also supposedly good.

Both of those you can get for free as PDF's or read online for free at some Marxist themed websites, no :filez: at all.

I'll check those out, thank you!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Getsuya posted:

I'm going on a roadtrip for about 6 hours tomorrow and later this month on a business trip to Japan with lots of long flights and bus/train rides. I'd really like a hefty amount of sci-fi to listen to while I go on these trips. I'd like it to be gripping stuff without too many dry, boring bits (bad example: Foundation). I like stuff that dips into horror territory, with strange alien races, the fear of the unknown, maybe even some body horror or Lovecraftian elder powers or devouring hordes of aliens threatening the existence of us poor puny humans. Or just exciting, well-written sci-fi. Preferably stuff that takes place in space with at least one species that isn't human involved. Old or new. As long as I can find audiobooks of them. I'm not super well read in sci-fi so even really obvious suggestions are okay. Might go without saying but not Ender's Game. Or any of the Alien books since those ones I have read.

I'm plowing through the Expanse books and they seem to fit all your criteria and they're a BLAST to read. There's a lot of them too!