Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IBroughttheFunk
Sep 28, 2012
I just recently got into Discworld, and have been devouring the series pretty hard since this winter. Are there any authors out there with a humor style similar to Terry Pratchett's? Excluding Douglas Adams - I read the Hitchhiker''s Guide series several years ago (also, Good Omens is already on the to-read itinerary).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IBroughttheFunk
Sep 28, 2012

sleez posted:

Currently reading a non-fiction book about the history of the gypsies and their way of life, and I dig it. I'm looking for similar stuff where I can learn some fascinating things about other cultures.

What's the title of the book that you're reading? I have always been curious about the Romani, and would love to finally read a solid work on them.

IBroughttheFunk
Sep 28, 2012
After seeing it get recommended here again and again and again, I finally checked out Bridge of Birds from my library, and now I am almost a little mad at myself that I didn't do this earlier - I am now currently halfway through and having a blast. What similar reads are there in the vein of fun, semi-fantastical adventures like this?

Unrelated question - I was thinking of possibly giving Mason & Dixon a try, but would that potentially be a bit much if I haven't read any Pynchon before?

IBroughttheFunk
Sep 28, 2012
Oof - sorry. I probably should have anticipated Pratchett recommendations, and it would have helped you out a hell of a lot by specifying that I have read (and enjoyed) all of Discworld already.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Maybe A Night in the Lonesome October, maybe the book version of Princess Bride. Asprin's Another Fine Myth.

Thanks! A Night in the Lonesome October is available in my library, so that will be next up on the to-read list. I will also go take the plunge on Pynchon.

IBroughttheFunk
Sep 28, 2012
A Canticle for Leibowitz and Ken Liu's A Paper Menagerie and Other Stories would be my immediate recommendations. I also just finished and really enjoyed Ted Chiang's Stories of Your Life and Others and plan to read more of his short story collections when I get the chance.

IBroughttheFunk
Sep 28, 2012

C-Euro posted:

Best Ursula K. Le Guin book for someone (me) who hasn't read any of her work?

Just to add one more, I started out with the novella The Word for World is Forest.

IBroughttheFunk
Sep 28, 2012
Does anyone have any recommendations for historical fiction that doesn't take place in either Europe or the US?

IBroughttheFunk
Sep 28, 2012
Haven't gotten to Shogun yet, but it is on the to-read list.

And now because I think this might come up as the other obvious recommendation, I will note that I've already read (and enjoyed) Pachinko.

IBroughttheFunk
Sep 28, 2012

Lockback posted:

"Thousand Autumns of Jacob de Zoet"

Fruits of the sea posted:

My Name is Red by Orhan Pamuk

Human Tornada posted:

Aztec by Gary Jennings

ulvir posted:

Life and death are tearing me apart by Mo Ya

Thanks so much for all of the recommendations, everyone! These look great.

Shogun is good but it's *extremely* western-perspective, like, oh god so much it hurts.

Yeah, I could kinda feel that when I read Tai-Pan a while ago, which is one reason that Shogun has lingered on the to-read-later list for a while.

cda posted:

Do you consider Russia European?

I do, but I am still happy to hear any title(s) that you want to suggest.

tuyop posted:

The Years of Rice and Salt is about the fictional historical destruction of Europe so... does that work?

I wasn't necessarily thinking about alternate history at the time, but this looks really interesting, so I appreciate the recommendation!

IBroughttheFunk fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Jul 7, 2020

IBroughttheFunk
Sep 28, 2012

tuyop posted:

I liked Russka and I think it’s one of maybe two of Edward Rutherfurd’s stuff that still has energy in the formula.

On the to-read itinerary, thanks! Would you recommend any other of Rutherford's books in general? I remember enjoying New York, when I read it several years ago, but I haven't tried to tackle any of his other works since then.

IBroughttheFunk
Sep 28, 2012

tuyop posted:

Sarum was also really good, but I bounced hard off of New York and London.

In the same vein, Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follett is also good!

Thanks, will keep an eye out for Sarum! and very much agreed on Pillars of the Earth - I actually got around to it back in May and liked it. Although I'm still curiously hunting around for less Euro and American-centric historical nonfiction, I admit that I think I'm going to end up starting World Without End within the next few weeks.

IBroughttheFunk
Sep 28, 2012

tuyop posted:

In the vein of BLM, I think Donte Collins is pretty good.

In a similar vein, Reginald Dwayne Betts' collection Felon

IBroughttheFunk
Sep 28, 2012
I am currently in the mood for any kind of fiction by actual Native American / First Nation authors - historical fiction, contemporary fiction, sci-fi or fantasy, etc.

Books that I’ve already read:
The Night Watchman by Louis Erdrich
Blasphemy: New and Selected Stories, by Sherman Alexie
The Absolutely True Story of a Part-Time Indian, by Sherman Alexie
The Lone Ranger and Tonto Fistfight in Heaven, by Sherman Alexie
There There, by Tommy Orange

I already have bought copies of Erdrich’s The Last Report on the Miracle at Little No Horse and The Round House, so even though I’m probably fairly set already, I just wanted to see if there were any titles I could keep an eye out for.

IBroughttheFunk
Sep 28, 2012

GorfZaplen posted:

Ceremony by Leslie Marmon Silko is a classic

I almost can't believe I haven't known about Leslie Marmon Silko until now. I work at an academic library and found we had a copy of Ceremony on our shelves. I'm excited to start it today!

MockingQuantum posted:

Rebecca Roanhorse writes sci-fi and urban fantasy, I haven't read her most recent books but her Sixth World books are pretty good if you're okay with fun, action-y fantasy. They're sort of a post-climate-apocalypse modern fantasy centered mostly around Dine characters.

If horror is an option, Stephen Graham Jones has tons of stuff out there. The Only Good Indians follows a handful of Blackfeet characters. Heavy content warning for violence though, including to animals.

I haven't read it myself but Indian Horse by Richard Wagamese has been recommended to me a number of times.

Thanks for putting Roanhorse back on my radar. I have heard good things about Black Sun as well as Trail of Lightning and the other Sixth World books. Also, I snagged The Only Good Indians for my Kindle recently on sale too.

MockingQuantum posted:

I haven't read it myself but Indian Horse by Richard Wagamese has been recommended to me a number of times.

tuyop posted:

Keeper ‘n Me by Richard Wagamese is a really good Ojibwe story of coming of age/identity in modern Canadian Indigenous contexts.

Also going to give Wagamese a good look now too!

Bilirubin posted:

I just bought a copy of Son of a Trickster by Eden Robinson, which was profiled in last year's Canada Reads competition

e. its YA from a few years ago but The Marrow Thieves by Cherie Dimaline was highly regarded as I recall (have not read it myself yet)

These are also going on my to-reads list. The Marrow Thieves came up a few times yesterday while doing some of my own research on possible next-reads.

Thanks so much, everyone! This looks like a fantastic collection.

IBroughttheFunk
Sep 28, 2012
I am currently looking for historical fiction titles that fit in with the Halloween season - these can be books with a horror element, or with a good dose of the supernatural, paranormal or fantastical mixed in, and also good mysteries will fit the bill too.

Past historical fiction titles that I've read that fit my Halloween-y vibe include:

- The Ballad of Black Tom by Victor LaValle
- The Devil and the Dark Water and The 7 ½ Deaths of Evelyn Hardcastle Stuart Turton
- The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafron and the rest of the Cemetery of Forgotten books series
- Lovecraft Country by Matt Ruff

IBroughttheFunk
Sep 28, 2012
I'm currently looking for some historical mysteries for the winter months ahead. Also, as much as I have been enjoying the Brother Cadfael series from Ellis Peters, I'm actually particularly interested right now in historical mysteries that take place outside of Europe - for example, My Name is Red, Elsa Hart's Li Du trilogy, etc. However, if anyone has a title that they think is just too good to not recommended, then of course I'll be happy to disregard geographical setting (and a quick note in advance - The Name of the Rose is Already on my eventual to-read list).

IBroughttheFunk
Sep 28, 2012

anilEhilated posted:

The Judge Dee stories by Robert van Gulik are generally pretty good. I'd stay away from the ones written by other people, though.

And, if Europe is still under consideration, I really enjoyed An Instance of the Fingerpost.

tuyop posted:

Aw it’s Europe and trash but The Hangman’s Daughter books might be a fun light read?

Thank so much for the recommendations! And tuyop - you actually helped me remember that I had bought the <i>The Hangman's Daughter</i> for Kindle on sale a long ways back, so onto the to-reads list it goes!

IBroughttheFunk
Sep 28, 2012
This is a pretty broad request - I've been in a bit of reading rut and have been trying to get back in through historical fiction, one of my favorite genres. Anyone have any favorite titles they'd like to recommend? I particularly enjoy works that take place outside the US and Europe (Pachinko, The island of Sea Women, and Amitav Ghosh's entire Ibis trilogy are particular favorites of mine). But definitely not opposed to solid works set there (I've enjoyed nearly everything I've read from James Mcbride, Louis Erdrich, and Carlos Ruiz Zafón).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IBroughttheFunk
Sep 28, 2012

The big names in historical fiction we talk about here are Patrick O'Brian, Mary Renault, and sometimes Arturo Perez-Reverte. Sounds like you've probably read them already though.

Actually, no! The only Renault book I read was The King Must Die back in school, never read anything by O'Brian or Perez-Reverte. I'd definitely be up for any recommendations for any of those three if you have any.