Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Defenestration posted:

I'm looking into ereaders for one purpose and one purpose only: to read PDFs (or docs) of my friends' unpublished novels.

I have a secondhand Nook and I hate it. It's also balls at PDFs, completely destroying the formatting. Pipes suggested a Kobo, does anyone have experience how PDFs look on that?

Thanks in advance

Calibre can do .doc/.docx/.pdf to .epub or .mobi pretty well. I converted a .docx and a .pdf to .mobi with it and they read fine on my Kindle. Maybe trying using Calibre to go pdf->epub and then try again on your Nook? A novel is likely going to be straight text and that should be a pretty easy conversion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

First Law is pretty great, Joe Abercrombie is an SF&F thread favorite.

Brandon Sanderson is really hit or miss. If you like worldbuilding and magic system detailed enough to double as an RPG sourcebook and you don't mind his prose/dialogue/literally-everything-but-worldbuilding being mediocre at best, you'll probably be a fan.

Night Angel is garbage even by the standards of a genre filled with garbage.

High Warlord Zog posted:

What about Stephenson's Baroque Cycle or, if he wants to read a contemporary shooty-shoot bang bang book, Reamde?

Cryptonomicon and Anathem are his best, imo.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

China Mieville, Perdido Street Station

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Ornamented Death posted:

Richard K. Morgan's A Land Fit for Heroes series. Two of the three main characters are gay.

Ringil suffers for being gay, he's just so badass that he's never really in personal danger cause nobody wants to gently caress with him.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Man with Hat posted:

Hey Book Goons.

I'm almost finished with reading the Wheel of Time series and am looking for something new in the same ballpark. Any tips on (preferebly long) fantasy series in the same style as Wheel of Time and ASOIAF? That is to say, long, many characters, a big world and all that jazz.

You are looking for the Malazan Book of the Fallen by Steven Erikson.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

In the theme of "mice with swords", I have to admit that I loved all of Brian Jacques' Redwall books when I was that age.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

StrixNebulosa posted:

Note: AIs also count, we just want non-human metallic creatures.

Iain M. Bank's Culture series and Neal Asher's Polity books involve civilizations basically run by advanced AIs, because they outperform baseline humanity by several orders of magnitude.

Ann Leckie's Ancillary books are about a starship AI that basically lives inside a human body.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

StrixNebulosa posted:

Fortunately Hundred Thousand Kingdoms stands alone very well, so definitely give it a look!

The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms sells itself as a book about politics and intrigue, about a power struggle in the royal family in a world where the gods are slaves.

Sadly, that stuff doesn't really show up and the book is largely about the princess and the insane Murder God of Darkness making gently caress-me eyes at each other while ignoring everything interesting about the premise.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

John LeCarre's Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy is fantastic. It's a more realistic spy novel, though. No James Bond superspies to be found in it.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Major Isoor posted:

Hey all, I'm currently interested in reading a book or two (either fantasy novels, or more historical stuff) that follow a mercenary company/band, or perhaps a holy order. I've looked into it a little bit and have found The White Company (by Doyle) online, although I'm not certain how I'll go with his writing style, as I actually haven't read his books before (heresy!), so I'm not sure how it holds up these days.
Since what I'm ideally looking for is something reasonably detailed (particularly the combat, when it happens) and gritty/realistic (where not everyone has plot armour and makes it out no matter what), especially as I've recently been reading the most recent Witcher novel, and have been watching a little Game of Thrones lately, too. As I mentioned though, it doesn't have to be fantasy - I'd also be interested in books set in our own medieval/renaissance period. (Bonus points if it's a real company/order that it follows - I'm certain I've heard about one book following a really old merc band long ago, that I think fought around the eastern Mediterranean and Asia Minor, perhaps?)

But yeah, I know I'm not being all that helpful with the information I've provided on what I'm looking for - I'd give some more details, although I'm quite tired at this stage, and need to get some sleep.
Thanks for any and all suggestions, in any case! (And hopefully this isn't too niche a subject, and that there are actually some good books like this out there :D )

Miles Cameron's Red Knight series, starting with The Red Knight.

Is a very knightly type of mercenary band. Plate mail and poleaxes and all the "hold the longsword by the blade and beat them with the hilt" kind of stuff

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

TommyGun85 posted:

Can someone recommend science fiction. Not sure what the term would be, but I'm looking for novels along the lines of the movies Gravity or Interstellar, 2001, Jurassic Park, etc. (I realize some of those are also novels). Im not looking for anything with gloops or bleepblorps, no Dune and not any "speculative fiction" like Atwood.

Basically, just good scientific novels.

Thanks

Kim Stanley Robinson, maybe? I've read Aurora and his Mars trilogy and feel like they'd both qualify here.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

succ posted:

Any recommendations on near future sci-fi 100-500 years, maybe with things not necessarily in space? Something like Kim Stanley Robinson (which I have never read).

Have you considered maybe trying Kim Stanley Robinson?

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

It's another Stephen King book, but if you want some top-shelf horror you need look no further than Pet Sematary. This isn't a horror story of eerie houses and clowns. It's on an entirely different level from most of his horror books and this is the one that gets the most visceral reactions out of people. This is the Stephen King book that people say that they just can't reread.

My other suggestion would be some Richard Matheson short stories, because they're loving fantastic, but you want to avoid short stories this time around you said.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Big Bad Beetleborg posted:

Demon Cycle is consistent enough (if pulpy) all the way through.
It is consistently terrible the entire way through, yes.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Richard Matheson's I Am Legend, maybe.

Stephen King's The Running Man is also in that ballpark pagewise.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

RC and Moon Pie posted:

The first volume of James Herriot's books - All Creatures Great and Small - is a collection of animal stories with lots of insight of the veterinarian techniques of his day. I suppose the rest are the same.

My mother has all of them and they're all pretty much like that. Pretty hard to beat as far as soothing nothing books go.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Burke posted:

I'm almost done with the second Malazan book so I could continue those. I've liked them so far but haven't really loved them.

The third Malazon book, Memories of Ice, is widely considered to be one of the best of them. If you've liked the first two, it's worth a shot.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

tuyop posted:

I'm looking for good hard SF, FTL and dumb dogfighty space battles are pretty much right out for me. I loved Chasing Ice, Children of Time, and Rendezvous With Rama, among others.

Kim Stanley Robinson's Aurora.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Subjunctive posted:

Maybe The Water Knife.

Definitely The Water Knife

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

NGC773 posted:

I watched the movie straight after and it definitely wasn't as good as the book.

I have never understood why so many people back then said "This character would absolutely positively not have a Scottish accent. I know, let's cast Sean Connery!"

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Tenacious J posted:

Just finished Schild’s Ladder by Greg Egan after seeing it recommended in one of these threads as a good hard sci-fi book. It totally was, I really enjoyed it. Any other ones you’d recommend by him? For that matter, any other must-reads in the “hard sci-fi” genre aside from Blindsight/Echopraxia (also loved them). Thanks.

Kim Stanley Robinson's Aurora. It's about a generation ship headed towards Tau Ceti and the difficulties it faces.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

knuthgrush posted:

Back again this time with a request for my son. He absolutely loved Treasure Island and asked if there was more. Any recommendations for that line of reading?

I considered Gulliver's Travels or 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea but those are probably just different enough to maybe lose his interest?

I guess I'm asking for well written swash buckling books or non-erotic Treasure Island fanfic for a 10 year old.

Thanks!

It's a different kind of swashbuckling, but The Three Musketeers was my one of my favorite books at that age range.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

I'd suggest looking at one of Stephen King's short story collections, probably Night Shift or Skeleton Crew. They're quick reads and good stories. King's probably at his best in the short story format, and every used book store ever will have a billion of his books.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Annath posted:

I'm looking for a good scifi book that involves life on, or exploration of, a generation ship. The idea of Space Archaeology fascinates me. Something like Rendezvous with Rama but on a generation ship would be cool.

Kim Stanley Robinson's Aurora.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Sandwolf posted:

idk man Frankenstein the doctor continually fucks up throughout the entire book. He creates a wife for his creation and then realizes if he gives this thing a partner it's kind will dominate the earth so he just sorta destroys it all, his creation is a disgusting nightmare because he created it overnight in a haze, and he's not even well respected in his field because he's too busy reading the works of losers like Cornelius Agrippa. I don't think that quite lines up with "professionally highly competent."

He's professionally competent in that he is extremely knowledgeable and technically proficient at his one specific thing, enough so that he was able to bring a body back from the dead. He's a failure at a lot of other things, but he's very good at the one thing that he's good at.

A similar real life example that comes to mind is Ben Carson, a complete trash fire of a human being who was also a brilliant neurosurgeon.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

mr. unhsib posted:

Any near-future climate-focused sci fi recommendations out there? I just finished Termination Shock by Neal Stephenson, would love to read more books in this vein.

Not a KSR fan, so not really interested in reading Ministry of the Future.

The Water Knife, by Paulo Bacigalupi.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Kvlt! posted:

looking for some book suggestions for my old man. He loves hard sci-fi and hard space stuff his favorite movies are Interstellar and Apollo 13.

Basically looking for the book equivalent of Interstellar. He's read all the classic hard sci fi stuff like Clarke and Greg Bear, so some deep cuts or something newer would be appreciated

Maybe Kim Stanley Robinson’s Aurora or his Mars trilogy, if he hasn’t read those.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

The Murderbot novellas are good, and they are free if you’ve got Audible Plus or whatever the subscription service is. They’re short(3hrs or so) though, so the price/length ratio isn’t that favorable if you have to buy them.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Piss Stain Johnson posted:

What are the best boomer book series? Thinking along the lines of Jack Ryan, Jack Reacher, Harry Bosch, etc. Looking for Xmas gifts for my dad and I think he's got those covered, except maybe Bosch. Reddit recommends The Grey Man as a newer series along those lines.

Robert Ludlum's books about Jason Bourne.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

I'm really trying to get my dad to read books. He's nearing retirement and needs something to do. One of the few books he's read in recent years was non-fiction about a sailing race around the antarctic circle. So, something like that, nautical adventure books are what I'm looking for. Probably gotta be non-fiction, but maybe a novel if it's really good.

Maybe mountain climbing stuff like Into Thin Air? It’s a similar kind of non-fiction adventure story, and the kind of thing I definitely think of as prime dad lit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

DarkLich posted:

Seeking recommendations for a friend-group book club - the genre this month is HARD SCI FI

Previous sci fi books we've read:
- The Diamond Age (unanimously loved)
- Dune (unanimously liked)
- Annihilation (divisively liked)
- Dark Matter (unanimously disliked)

My suggestion so far is Children of Time by Tchaikovsky. Any other bright ideas from recent decades? I'm trying to stay away from anything that requires a multi book investment. And naturally anything with magical talismans, space wizards, or "proto-molocules".

Aurora, by Kim Stanley Robinson. Fairly hard SF about a generation ship from Earth seeking to colonize another star.