Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I need a good book about something interesting that happened in America any time before the Civil War

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Franchescanado posted:

Mason & Dixon by Thomas Pynchon

Oh sorry, I should have said, it needs to be a straight up nonfiction history book. It's for a history class.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

That looks great, thanks

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Can anyone recommend some good book about the Hays Code? Also can anyone recommend some good books about movies under nazi Germany?

Those are for separate things. I realize now that putting both those questions together looks like I'm aiming for some kind of hack comparison. But I swear it's for two different things.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

PlushCow posted:

I'm going to ask her later if she can remember any authors she liked but I have doubts I'll get an answer, she may have just grabbed whatever was in the grocery store kind of reader.

The Rita Mae Brown cat mystery books

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

sloppy portmanteau posted:

Can I get some recommendations for long fantasy/sci-fi series which stick with the same main or small cast of characters throughout and follows their growth? I recently read the Wheel of Time series and that's what I found I liked about it. The payoff with Rands, Matts, and Egwenes evolution especially, I enjoy the shifting power dynamics from the beginning of the series. Then I moved on to the Cradle series and found that satisfying for similar reasons. Currently reading Forge of Destiny due to recommendations in relation to Cradle, but finding it too meandering and will be dropping it.

I'd like to stay with the same characters for a long while so I'm hoping for something almost as long or longer than Cradle, which currently clocks in at around 1M words, but I may be hoping for too much.

The Horus Heresy follows 18 bickering brothers across the galaxy over like 70 books.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

What are the best books currently available in English about the Allied invasion of Sicily?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I need books about movies in the 30s. It can be generally about all movies in the 30s, or just about a specific genre, or pre or post-code movies, But I've already ordered on book about pre-code movies so if you're gonna recommend another book about pre-code movies it should be at least as good and ideally better than the one I've already ordered.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Franchescanado posted:

How are we to know the book you've already ordered?

The book was Forbidden Hollywood by Mark Viera

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

dexter6 posted:

Pls help me become a reader!

If you liked a nonfiction book, maybe more nonfiction would work? Especially if you're interested in stuff with a political view. A couple I could recommend off the top of my head

Hundred years War on Palestine by Rashid Khalidi
Empire's Workshop by Greg Grandin

They're both relatively short, quite readable books on topics that are important to today but aren't covered on the news ever.

In terms of fiction, have you thought about short stories?

Ficciones by Jorge Luis Borges is an absolute all time banger, every story is good to great, and crazy original and inventive.

I know you said you didn't like sci-fi, but I'm still going to recommend Cosmicomics by Italo Calvino. It's not like sci-fi as you know it, he literally invented sci-fi independently by himself, and his take on it is completely unique. One of the stories is about a cell undergoing mitosis from the point of view of the cell. But not in an edutainment way, in like, a "imagine what it would be like if you had no sensory organs and therefore were incapable of conceiving of anything existing outside of your own body" way.

both of those authors have a bunch of other great stuff too, so if you like either of them you've got a lot more to read.

Gripweed fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Feb 17, 2022

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

There simply must be a good book about the Bone Wars.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Eason the Fifth posted:

:hmmyes:
Messiah and Children of Dune are some pretty big downers but they also set up God Emperor, which is totally loving bonkers but also the capstone of the series, bringing all the philosophy and long-term plots of the other books together. So you get not just the "what comes after the hero's journey" but also what comes after what comes after. Dune is great but those first 4 books combined really show Herbert's genius and imagination.

I stopped reading after God Emperor and never regretted it. It's an incredible quartet.

The trend towards increasing horniness continues in the fifth and sixth books. Not bad

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Arc Hammer posted:

28 years old and never knew much about the Cold War until I started picking up an interest in current day geopolitics. Are there any good recommendations for books that cover the proxy wars and regional conflicts that resulted from the decolonization of Africa and the subsequent efforts by western and soviet powers to influence the local situations? The gist that I've come away with from dipping my toes into this history is that the 70s and 80s were loving insane.

All the Shah's Men by Stephen Kinzer is an excellent book about the first US-backed coup of the Cold War
Empire's Workshop by Greg Grandin is an overview of American meddling in Latin America throughout the 20th century, which gives you a better perspective than just focusing on the Cold War era.

Not a book, but the second season of the podcast Blowback is all about America's relationship with Cuba, especially after the Revolution. It's really great.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

i read that one about the corn people, it was alright.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

DreamingofRoses posted:

So, I don’t know if it was here or in the fantasy thread, but there was a brief list of recommendations for ‘homey’ fantasies, and I can’t find the thread again but something small-scale and reliant more on character interaction with a fantasy bent instead of uber powerful artifacts/world saving quests sounds really nice right about now.

If you're willing to read manga, there's a goddamn bonanza of that poo poo. Three I can personally recommend

Delicious in Dungeon - a group of adventurers don't have enough money to outfit an expedition into the dungeon, so they decide to skimp on food and instead learn how to cook the monsters they defeat in the dungeon.

Heterogenia Linguistico - a linguist goes on a study trip into the part of the world inhabited by monster races, with the goal of learning more about their languages and cultures

Dragon Goes House Hunting - a small, weak, cowardly dragon seeks a home where he can live in peace. Unfortunately due to shenanigans he develops a reputation as the Flame Dragon King, and trouble seems to find him! Luckily the Dark Lord of Real Estate won't rest until his client is completely satisfied.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

The Grey posted:

Can anyone recommend a WWII book from the basic German soldiers perspective? One that isn't holocaust or SS focused, but tells the story of someone like an infantry grunt.

Fiction or non-fiction is fine, but bonus if it's on the Russian front.

The Forgotten Soldier by Guy Sajer is a memoir of an infantry grunt on the Eastern Front. He makes it sound pretty unpleasant

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

You might like Hal Clement's stuff, everything of his I've read has dealt with the problems of intelligent creatures from wildly different planets interacting with each other. Like Ice World, which is about aliens trying to figure out how to send probes to the surface of a planet so cold that even elements like lead and phosphorus are frozen solid. There's a great part where the crew are trying to figure out why the probes they send to the blue parts of the planet instantly break when they reach the surface.

In another one of his books creatures all from different planets explore an uninhabited world. The inciting incident for a big action rescue setpiece is that the first creature out of the airlock is a very small alien from a planet with very little atmosphere, and he instantly gets in trouble because none of the creatures from planets with thick atmospheres thought to warn him about wind and he gets blown away

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Barbarians at the Gate by Bryan Burrough and John Helyar
Disney War by James Stewart

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

Can I please get some book recommendations?

I mostly read sci-fi or sci-fi adjacent stuff lately. I'm waiting for my library's e-book copy of Children of Dune to come available in 8 weeks.

What I'm after most at the moment is something like Douglas Adams, Tom Holt, Terry Pratchett, Christopher Moore (but his latest stuff is not great), Jasper Fforde. Amusing, quirky, clever, and somewhat mindless.

Stuff I don't want right now: difficult to read, understand, deal with writing or subject matter (I save that stuff for winter); Philip K Dick, Margaret Atwood, Harry Harrison (although I love Bill the Galactic Hero and the West of Eden trilogy), or hard scifi.

The Ciaphas Cain series. Don't let the fact that it's Warhammer put you off, it's a fun adventure series with a likable rogue lead, not grimdark at all.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

The video game Splatoon

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Laid Back Camp!

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Doom Mathematic posted:

I am looking for a book I could give to a six-year-old (reads at the level of an eight-year-old) son of a friend of mine for his birthday. His parents say "genre of your choice" and I'm veering toward science fiction but I don't have any idea what's out there. I also know children's books can be all over the place in quality. So, just like a fistful of recommendations I can peruse would be good? Thank you in advance.

Ficciones by Jorge Luis Borges
Invisible Cities by Italo Calvino

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

If a kid likes reading you should get them stuff a little above their reading level. That's the only way they'll get better

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Is there a good single volume history of Germany?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

LLSix posted:

The Milhist thread also fields all sorts of other history questions. The fine folks there will be happy to recommend you something.

I'll see what they have to say, thanks.

Carly Gay Dead Son posted:

Urs Allemann’s novel from 1992.

You gotta read another book man

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

What's the best book about Frederick II?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

regulargonzalez posted:

Looking for novels set in the intelligence community but not spy stuff or Jack Ryan per se, more the diplomat / ambassador / handler level stuff. Something like Count Fenring in Dune, or Laird Barron's story The Siphon, except not fantasy or horror. Thanks!

Have you read the Culture novels?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Kvlt! posted:

i'm looking for a rec for a Christmas present for my brother. His favorite book is Between Two Fires, he's a big fan of fantasy but less traditional wizards and elves and dragons style and more "realistic" style (though that doesn't mean it can't have magic or creatures etc). He also likes the Black Company series if that helps.

Bonus points if it's a series but one-off books are great too.

A good low fantasy series is Otherworldly Izakaya Nobu. It's about a modern day Japanese pub whose front door opens into a Germanic medieval fantasy world. The various people of the fantasy city stop by and their troubles are lessened by the delicious food and cold beer that's unlike anything they've ever had before. There are no elves or dragons, but there is a witch (who mainly just seems to be a classic folk healer with herbs and stuff) and mention of a kraken. It also does get a bit into the economics and trade of the fantasy world

Heterogenia Linguistico is another good option. It's about a linguist who travels into a part of the world inhabited by various kinds of beastmen, in an attempt to learn their languages and cultures.

Gripweed fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Dec 7, 2022

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Sorry, I only know manga.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

hallo spacedog posted:

I have a sort of odd request: please recommend to me your favorite books under 300 pages.

Anything by Italo Calvino. If I had to pick one, The Nonexistent Knight.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I haven’t read it so I can’t speak to its quality, but there is a book called How The Irish Saved Civilization.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

PupsOfWar posted:

This is gonna be weird but does anyone have reccs for Choose Your Own Adventure style books or gamebooks of similar stripe?

My niece is falling far behind her grade level w/ reading, we think largely due to ADHD. She does fine at other school subjects, but that won't last if she can't read texts. Have tried all the regular childrens' lit I figure would suit her interests (animal lover, loosely tomboyish, horse girl adjacent). Have tried Warrior Cats, Redwall, Dinotopia, more or less everything with critters in it.

I am wondering if some sort of interactive story might alleviate the attention span issues and get the reading bug to kick in.

She's 11, so maybe a little too old for the original CYOA series. Is there anything similar that suits tween readers?

I'm going to third the recommendation for manga. There's a ton of manga for young girls.

Alternatively, and this is the real break glass in case of emergency option, visual novels. Get her a Switch and a copy of Dangan Ronpa and she'll learn to read all right. But at what cost?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

BlindSite posted:

I have been swapping between Sci Fi and fantasy series for the past few months burning through books and I've hit a little bit of a wall after I worked through much of my kindle reccs.

Stuff I've read and really enjoyed in the last year or so:
Malazan Series (re-read)
Red Rising series
Gideon the 9th (couldn't do the 2nd book and gave up)
Black Tongue Thief (enjoyed this more than anything in years)
Pretty much all of Christopher Buehlman's bibliography
Both series and what's out of the third by John Gwynne
The first two books of the Pariah/Matryr Series
Expanse series
Project Hail Mary
R Scott Bakker's books - some of these were a slog though

I also just recently tried to get into the Sun Eater series but found it pretty tedious after the first book and I'm cutting bait on it.

Also read the standard high points ASOIAF, Wheel of time, Dune etc.

I read for the escape mostly and I don't care if it's super high brow philosophical naval gazing or violent horror shlock as long as its entertaining.

Gaunt's Ghosts sounds perfect for you. Sci-fi military series about a scout recon unit that keeps getting thrown into the toughest battles of a decades-long war against an army of extremely evil guys. A lot of stuff about the day to day annoyances of military life, but also stuff like they can't look too closely at the graffiti left behind by enemy forces because their symbols can literally hurt your soul.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Good-Natured Filth posted:

I'm looking for a recommendation for my wife. What she reads today is mostly autobiographies or self-help / self-help-adjacent books, but she wants to try to get back into fiction. The last fiction series she read and really enjoyed was Harry Potter nearly two decades ago. So this may be a challenge.

Based on her likes / dislikes, I think a light-hearted romcom in a magical setting would be a good bet. Or maybe a high-level mystery / thriller where the stakes aren't too high. If it gets too in-the-weeds, serious, or grim-dark fantasy, she'll bounce off. I don't think she'd be opposed to YA, but she did express wanting to try adult fiction.

Man you just described like half of the light novel genre. I'm not versed enough in light novels to be able to offer any firm recommendations, but if there's a light novel thread go ask in there and you will get so many recommendations.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

yaffle posted:

I've only ever read an excerpt that was published in The New Yorker (Or Wired maybe? it was a long time ago) but "Jarhead" is written by a sniper in the marine corps about his experiences. I've never seen the film, partially because what I read of the book was so visceral and awful.

The sequels are better

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

The Solar War, the first book in the Siege of Terra series, has some good spaceship battles. But it’s mostly extremely large scale fleet engagements.

But of a wildcard since it’s comics not novels, but the Gundam Thunderbolt series has extremely good space combat in a debris field. Well told detailed combat scenes, they do get a bit flashy when the Gundam shows up but even then the focus is on how terrifying it is to face a machine like that.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

StrixNebulosa posted:

I'm back with another request!

What's the best book to get if I want to read about elves, specifically the Silmarillion / Lord of the Rings type of elves? I don't strictly want urban fantasy elves with guitars, and I don't want fae - I want high fantasy elves.

That said, they can be in space! I've read all of CJ Cherryh's Foreigner series (dark elves in spaaace), and I've enjoyed some of the Drizzt stuff. (His origin trilogy is great) So any elf will do, as long as they're, y'know, fancy and better than us and ethereal and poo poo.

Other books in this vein I'm looking at (but haven't read yet): Gav Thorpe's Path of the X (Warhammer 40k Eldar trilogy), that Starcraft Protoss trilogy.

Path of the Eldar would probably be up your alley. Classic haughty better than you elves, they're very boring. But I gotta recommend Path of the Dark Eldar. Also classic haughty, better than you elves, but they're evil backstabbing elves, with different evil subfactions and an evil city full of evil secrets. Even I, a person who typically finds elves very boring, really got into those evil elves and their evil centuries-long schemes.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

stealie72 posted:

Oh crap, should have mentioned that I read and really enjoyed several of the Old Man's War books and tapered off exactly as predicted. Any other Scalzi in particular stand out?

As for Heinlein, I've tried starship troopers and finished it out of little more than obligation, then Stranger in a Strange land, which I just found dense, and The Moon is a Harsh Mistress, which I didn't get too far into because I kept hearing a unreleased Rush B-side from their hardcore Randian period playing in my head and it was distracting.

I've also read a couple of the Riverworld series and enjoyed them well enough, but didn't love them.

Have you tried Dick?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

stealie72 posted:

[insert some joke or another here]
Haven't, really. What's a good start? Does Blade Runner make Electric Sheep a good entry point?

I have not read Electric Sheep so I can't speak to that, but in general you can't really go wrong with the hits. Scanner Darkly and Man in the High Castle are both classics for a reason. So I assume you'd be safe with Electric Sheep. Since you are coming at it from a more standard sci-fi angle, maybe some of his less weird books like We can Build You or The Zap Gun might be a better entry point. I personally loving love The Zap Gun, I think it's a seriously underrated book. It's hard to go wrong with Dick.

The only thing I'd actually warn you off starting with is the Valis Trilogy. hold off on those until you've gotten a few other Dicks under your belt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I liked Kinky Friedman's mystery books when I was a kid. I 100% do not want to check if they hold up