Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!
I'm in, I have some vacation coming up and need to put in an order for paint. Might as well include a crapkit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Unkempt posted:

That was me! Yay.

But yeah, I'd be up for the U-boat. We haven't done a ship yet and I haven't done a sub kit for, um, about 40 years.

My shop doesn't have that specific kit, but maybe we can have a general u-boat boat-off?

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

SkunkDuster posted:

Finally got pictures of the Tamiya 1:72 Thunderbolt. This is the most enjoyable model I've ever built. Everything went together like a charm and there aren't many decals or much armament under the wings. Decals and armament are my least favorite part of building these models. Currently working on a 1:48 Tamiya Douglas A1 Skyraider and that thing has about a million missles and bombs and poo poo attached to the wings. Not looking forward to that.

That's a very nice looking plane!

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

TARDISman posted:

I'm looking at shifting to doing a couple tank models from Gundamns, overall how are 1/48 Tamiya kits for a starter?

I've mainly built 1/48 tamiya WW2 tanks since I started modelling, as I use them for wargaming as well, and I think they are overall good quality and beginner friendly. They will not be as thankful to build as a gundam, but then no military kits come close to Bandai in that regard.

Some Tamiya 1/48 kits I've built, you might be able to see that these were my first proper model kits, so some of them are not so great. But they were all fun to build, and were more user-friendly than the Italeri tanks I've tried. Among the tanks, I'd say the Pz 38(t) was probably the easiest to build, and maybe the Tiger or the StuG being the trickier.

lilljonas fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Jul 12, 2017

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

TARDISman posted:

Thanks for the recommendations! I want to try and push myself to do some more of the DIY stuff like painting and other detailing since I've been spoiled pretty hard by Bandai. Also my gramps drove a Sherman in Europe so I've always had a soft spot for them, in fact my ultimate goal is to look through his memoirs and try to make as close to a replica of his tank as I can.

Sounds great. Sherman's are pretty straight forward, and I've made a few Shermans, but of other brands:

Also there's a gazillion after-market kits for Sherman tanks, so you can get everything from sandbags to extra armour and stuff, depending on how much you want to bling out your Sherman.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

I tried to build my first plane today. This one:

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/170109-eduard-84164-messerschmitt-bf-109e-1

It was an absolute disaster. Like, really bad. And I have dozens of tank kits under my belt. Still couldn't get half of it to fit. My hat's off to you plane guys, really.

My Eduard crap plane will pay the ultimate price and become a desert wreck. Hopefully it will hide some of its flaws.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Boomer The Cannon posted:

Wait - armor is easier than aircraft?

Oh my god yes. A tricky part on the 1/48 tanks I've made could be the tracks - "OK, therese two links don't really match up, but it's mostly hidden anyway under the track guards, so I'll slop on some dirt and hide it even more"). A tricky part on this Eduard Bf 109? "What, I can't fit the engine hood because the engine, that is already glued stuck, is TWO MILLIMETERS TOO TALL? Where the hell did that come from?!".

And whenever you mess anything up on a tank, you're always excused if you just put stowage or tarps over it. If Somebody repeatedly stabbed lit cigarette butts on an assembled Sherman kit, I could probably still make something passable out of it. Less so with planes.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Gewehr 43 posted:

What the hell is that goofy box above the mantlet on the Revell box art? Did any StuGs actually have that?

It's just a weird angle, it's the gunshield affixed to the MG by one of the hatches. It's not there on the early StuGs.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

NTRabbit posted:

Looks like a roof hatch for the loader that also functions as a gun shield

It’s not a roof hatch, just a gun shield to protect anyone manning the MG.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Gewehr 43 posted:

Pre-cast resin zimmerit sheets are by far my preferred choice. I've used both Cavalier and Atak sheets in the past and they've been great. Some guys swear by doing the old fashioned way with putty and tools, but I've done that before too and it is just ridiculously tedious.

Nope, not the MG shield. I'm aware of that. The box art depicts a steel shelf across the top of the mantlet which didn't exist insofar as I'm aware. It would act as a major shot trap.

This thing:

Ah. Yeah, it looks strange to have the mantlet cover as if it is welded shut. But there were attachments there for factory made canvas mantlet covers, but it seems some crew welded on their own mantlet covers:

http://www.network54.com/Forum/47207/thread/1365685624/Cover+on+Stug+IV+Mantlet%3F

I've seen them on quite a few kits from various makers. On the nicer ones you can clearly see that it is more of a hatch:

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/223822-griffon-model-l35a115-stug-iv-debris-proof-cover-for-gun-mantlet

Apparently the Stug mantlet would leak debris and water like a bastard, so the crews did what they could to get some extra cover there.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Seconding the idea of getting a 10-20 dollar kit (or three) to learn the basics on. Something simple, just to get used to gluing, priming, painting etc. I've built dozens of tanks, but even then I royally hosed up my first plane, and I'm very happy that it was a 15 dollar budget kit from Eduard. Because now I know more what to watch out for with planes, things that I didn't have to worry about with tanks, and so my next plane will (hopefully) turn out better.

So in your situation, I would consider putting the complex kit on the shelf to rest a bit, pick up something simple, and just go at it with the single aim of making your mistakes on this kit, and not worry about the results. That outset can be surprisingly helpful, as your learning experience can be way more stressful if you're constantly worrying about loving up. Using such "burner kits" when you want to try out a new technique later on can be a good idea, and for now, EVERYTHING is a new technique if it's your first kit.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Blue Footed Booby posted:

From the Bandai section:

:derp::derp::derp:

I built the very old (ERTL?) kit ages ago, before I knew how to build models at all.

It didn't turn out great.

This could be a good chance to redeem myself.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Greyhawk posted:

While we're on the topic of tanks. Some of you may remember the insanity that is Miniart, who like to do ultradetailed tank kits with full interiors featuring up to 2000 parts.

They have now fully embraced their madness and will be releasing a what if series, starting with a "soviet sphere tank", which must be seen to be believed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SXkNjRU1hoc

Some nights I dream about quitting my job and just spending a year building one of those super-detailed as gently caress tanks.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

I also ordered a Metal Gear. If it actually turns up we can do a group build. :P

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Symetrique posted:

Gunpla thread vs model thread group build

Gonna make it a ww2 plane paint scheme to stay true to my hood

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Blue Footed Booby posted:

The price usually floats between 80 and 110, fyi.

Would love to know what the hell is caused it to plummet.

Probably a mistake, and the other shops having their prices fixed to the lowest competitor. I mean, with free shipping they're taking a loss on the shipping alone at the price I paid.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

ijyt posted:

Aaw Amazon refunded my Rex after the shipping email. :(

Yup mine too

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Gewehr 43 posted:

The T-34/85 is finished! Full album here: https://imgur.com/a/i5ueIG4

That's a super sweet build, good job!

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Arquinsiel posted:

You two know you can just get like, most of the original mechs in kit form anyway, right? With the Dougram variants not used in Battletech you can even probably mock up some variants.

poo poo last time I checked there were only the 50+ bucks kits, but there are new Destroid kits? By bandai? Which are cheap?

https://www.hlj.com/1-72-scale-destroid-defender-adr-04-mkx-ban966789

But many of the macross kits are really old and not that well detailed afaik.

lilljonas fucked around with this message at 13:37 on Sep 4, 2020

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Neddy Seagoon posted:

What're the Ghibli kits generally like build-wise? Do you need glue and paint, or are they snap-together like Gunpla?

I built an Ohm kit (the larvae monsters from Nausicaa) for my brother once, it required quite a lot of spackle. And definitely glue and paint, those are single coloured sprues as in classic model kits, not at all like Gunpla.

And the Miyazaki tank mentioned is the OOP AKUYAKU #1, which now goes for up to 100 GBP on ebay. At least I think it's OOP since it's backordered in the first five shops I checked.

lilljonas fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Sep 12, 2020

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

An alternative to hlj is:

https://www.1999.co.jp/eng/m/search?typ1_c=109&cat=gundam&target=Serieshin&searchkey=Nausicaa+of+the+Valley+of+the+Wind

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

You can find a lot of what’s available by simply googling ”ghibli model kit”. Some of them are available on amazon or other western model kit shops.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Seconding vallejo surface primer, I like it. Still hard to get even coats brushing on thing like planes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Throw away the mirroring part as well. Now it is symmetric again.