Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
What a good source for civilian ship models? Cargo ships, icebreakers, tankers, that sort of things.

I haven’t done any modeling outside of Excel since I was a wee lad, but I’m hitting my midlife crisis and I’d like to do a scale retrospective of my seagoing career.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Greyhawk posted:

For cargo ships and tankers you might have more luck looking at papercraft models. Scalemates doesn't have those I think.

How realistic an approach would a 3D printer and ship plans be? Assuming I can score the plans.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

A fishing trawler also comes equipped with a good proportion of the equipment you’ll need to sweep for mine’s anyway.

So that plus the wooden hull and the readily available crew makes them great choices.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Actually that’s the parbuckling of the USS Oklahoma

:spergin:

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

drat that’s impressive.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Will the Testors cement in the blue tube fog up clear parts?

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

I’m set up in the utility room; is there a way to rig a vent through the dryer exhaust? Do they make non return valves in that size?

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

My first water slide decals in fifteen years. Still need clear gloss applied, but man, I’d forgotten how I hated these things

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

If you can get into building models for shipyards and shipping companies, they pay ridiculous amounts for those.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Why are hobby stores so terrible at e-commerce? I get that paints and solvents are a pain in the rear end to ship, but poo poo like models, tools and photo etch should be easy.

And yet, here I am emailing the webmaster to create my account because their form doesn’t recognize “Canada” as a valid country.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

So I was airbrushing a wing with Humbrol Enamel when the airbrush burped some thinner - I’m new at this - and I tried to wipe it off with a tissue - I’m not a smart person - so now the wing has a lovely texture on it.

Can I sand off some of the paint and give it another coat to smooth it out? I’d post pictures but imgur is acting up for me.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Did some detail work this weekend. Not super happy with the result, and I might touch up some of the hoses again with Testor “Rubber” paint, but at some point I have to move on. I’ll give it a wash with some oily black before I attach the engine inlets, mask up and pain the fuselage.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Symetrique posted:

Put some enamel thinner on a towel and just wipe the paint off. You could sand it down too, but wiping the whole wing is probably easier and quicker.

Hey it worked!

Now to redo the pre-shading and blend into the rest of the paint. Yay!

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Check your moisture trap.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Is it still on, is it full, is it collecting water? If not, something might be clogged.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Now I want to buy construction equipment too.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

drat that’s some nice weathering work.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

gently caress INTAKES.

Anyone know where I can get some Mr. Filler online in Canada?

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

What model is that? Looks like an HMS Victory?

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Seriously I never realized the amount of poo poo managers deal with until I became one.

Well I kind of did because I had a manager who didn’t umbrella at all, but I didn’t realize it was her job to do it.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

I applied some clear coat (Citadel Lahmian Medium) on these decals and I’m getting this milky effect as it dries. It looks fine when it’s when, and I’ve applied a second coat, but when it dries it looks like rear end. Any suggestions?

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Old Swerdlow posted:

Lahmian medium is used to dilute paint to be used as a more transparent wash. It doesn’t work as a clear coat as all. It causes the pigment to be thinned and dry out more evenly than using water.

Great that’ll teach me to buy paint in a Warham store. I asked for a clear coat to put over decals and that’s what the idiot there sold me.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

And because it was a great hobby day for FrozenVent, this is how my airbrushing turned out:

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

That looks an awful lot like the Lahmian Medium bottle. Dude might have just grabbed the wrong one, and it’s not like the product names are helpful.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Mongolian Queef posted:

Try using very light coats and covering several times instead of going for full coverage with one pass.
I usually hold stuff up "just right" so that light reflects in the paint going on. It should almost be dry as it goes on, never pool or run. Or you were holding the airbrush too close to the surface.
Get some scrap plastic or perhaps a cheap model to practice painting on.

Edit:
This video has a lot of good points:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d4mYrl-nzio

My paint was mixed too thin, mostly. Lots of lessons learned that day.

That is my cheap practice model.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Airbrushing update!

I managed to clean off most of yesterday’s mess with thinner, and I was happily going at it with a new coat.

Buuuuut then I clogged the airbrush because I’m an idiot. And in the process of cleaning it, i made myself woozy from the fumes.

It’s me! I’m the idiot on the internet who has no clue what he’s doing!

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Ok I got it to work again. Lost another nozzle tip to the basement floor Bermuda Triangle, but I managed to strip it and clean it.

Sort of managed to fix the paint job. Probably lost a few brain cells in the process.

Sorry for the lovely pictures.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Went back to the Warham store to pick up some ‘ardcoat. Guess the dude was surprised to see someone walk in and ask for that by name because he started grilling me as to what I needed it for.

Then he insisted that what I really wanted was Lahmian Medium.

I need to find a decent local hobby store.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Cranking up the goon to 11, let’s do a side by side:

Let’s see what it looks like tomorrow. According to Warham Store Dude, Lahmian Medium is paint without pigment.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

And here are the results, ‘ardcoat on top.

‘ardcoat is much glossier I guess

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

GuardianOfAsgaard posted:

Gloss varnish is glossier than matte medium? Shocker.

I know, knocked me off my stool.

I hate warning labels.

Edit:

Next plane I build is gonna be gear-up.

FrozenVent fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Nov 28, 2018

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

God the US Navy loves warning labels

For some reason the kit only comes with four missiles, but six pylons. :iiam: hopefully I’ll be back tomorrow with the completed pictures.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

She’s done.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Anybody has tips for painting ships hulls? Anti fouling, boot top and all; looking for a somewhat weathered look.

Was thinking of painting brick red over a black base for the anti fouling, but I’m at a loss as to what to do for the black part of the hull above the waterline.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Boot top is actually a special anti fouling mix to account for it being exposed to air a fair amount of the time... but it does get pretty dirty.

Thanks for the tip though.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

New project! Revell 1:700 Colombo Express container ship. Very impressed with the kit so far, good molding quality, good level of details for a 1:700. The instructions are probably the nicest I’ve seen - full color, sprue maps, the whole nine yards.

Anyway, here’s the hull. The propeller is supposed to spin and the rudder can move, so that complicates things. The fit was close but not quite there on the keel joint, maybe I should have sanded more... anyway I laid down some Tamyia putty and primer, then sanded it down, feels pretty smooth now. The joint at the bottom of the transom was also a bit wide, so again, a drop of putty and some primer.

Overall the hull almost stays together without any cement, it’s that tight. I used Tamya extra thin around the joints, and Testor Make-me-high around the bulkhead because structural integrity.

Curing the hull.

All puttied up.

Dry fitting the deck. Next time I’m putting the deck on dry while the hull dries, it took some prying to get it in there and back out. Glueing it is going to be tricky.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Guys I just tried Vallejo Model Air.

:stare: What have I been doing all that time holy poo poo this stuff is amazing.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Puddin posted:

It really is great. Is super easy to work with, I get a little tip dry on long bursts due to it being super hot at the moment, but if I thin it out a bit and wipe the needle ofter it's golden.

Also the set I bought (WWII Allied) came with a hull red, which is pretty good. Next time I might lay down a brighter red base though, it’s a touch dark for my taste.

I just did some model color on the propeller too, and man I love Vallejo. Too bad they’re on the pricy side.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

My next project is an F-104 in RCAF livery, with the gears up, for a friend’s nursery. I fully expect the thing to be used for PEW PEW purposes in a couples of years and I’m fine with that.

Think I’ll stick a magnet in the fuselage so it’s easier to hang.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

big_g posted:

Just so you know small magnets and children do not mix, AT ALL.

Neither do small parts. I don’t expect he’ll get to play with it for a good few years. And I won’t be using a tiny magnet.

Fearless posted:

Lawn Darts and children have never really mixed well, but you do you.

:golfclap: