Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Hi from the Gunpla thread :wave:. If you're looking for somewhere to get Hi-Mocks or Gunpla in-general from, HLJ.com ships worldwide from Japan and the prices are generally very good.

The Hi-Mock itself is a frankly amazing kit for it's price point. It has polycaps (the little rubber socket/inner-joint pieces) in every single joint, which is something even the more expensive big-name releases don't have at 2x-3x times the price. It's also stuffed with accessory sockets for all kinds of things (it's why it has simple covers for those tabs on the shoulders, calves and hips). Speaking of, If you want to decorate your Hi-Mocks with extra things, there's also an entire line of gunpla accessory packs with extra weapons and decorative kibble called the High-Grade Build Custom line (just search for "HGBC" on HLJ or Amazon, anything with that before the name is in the line) that go for about the same price as a Hi-Mock itself. I personally recommend the Giant Gatling :allears:.

Ka0 posted:

Sick weathering. Also I'm glad we're doing the Hi-Mock for the next crapbuild (though the kit is absolutely rock solid, for serious guys)

You shouldn't leave your Hi-Mock exposed to the elements like that. See, now it's all rusty :ohdear:.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Ensign Expendable posted:

Is there a way to get it to show how much shipping will be before payment?

Should list it in the shopping cart.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Man, you guys are in for a shock if you're expecting modern Gunpla kits to be craptank-like. Good luck, scale modelling thread!

I'll add this for people in the UK: a number of Amazon UK sellers sell Gundpla kits, and almost all of them are shipping-free. Toyshop Japan Hobbyone has the Mock specifically, and also Toyshop Japan Hobbyone make sure you don't get hit by HMRC when ordering from them. Not sure if it comes out to that much less than getting it from HLJ, but it's another option.

Oh, something to add seeing as you lot will be painting and customizing them; the HGBC Mock Army Set is a pack with four weapons for the Hi-Mock and has a completely-smooth blank grey replacement head.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

I have some patently absurd modifications planned, if only I can get my hands on one at a reasonable price.

That shouldn't be all that hard, regardless of wherever you might be. The Hi-Mock's one of the, if not the, cheapest HG kits there is. Hell I think a couple of the HG Build Custom packs are more expensive than it.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Van Dis posted:

Long shot, but has anyone heard any news about Bandai's new Star Wars models since they were announced last year?

The character models have the same degree of polycap joints and engineering as most HG kits, so they're fantastic. I'm quite fond of my R2-D2/R5-D4 two-pack and C-3PO.

Swagger Dagger posted:

We've talked about them a bit in the Gundam thread, they're really good. Problem is, all of the import sites that were selling them got the smackdown from Disney so they might be harder to find outside of Japan now.

edit: they're still all over e-bay. I'd go for it if you want one.

To clarify on this; Revell pitched a fit at Disney because Bandai's Star Wars models were selling and theirs weren't :qq:.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Crotch Fruit posted:

Are the banned Bandai models just characters or ships too? I am not interested in characters, but I would love to do an X-Wing. In fact, I think my very first model was an X-Wing purchased at the gift shop from the Star Wars ride at Disneyland in the early 90s. I know I was far too young to ever complete the model, and I think it required glue so it was far too advanced for my first model. Is this enough information to tell me what brand my first model was?

Bandai's line does ships, vehicles, and characters (there's even an AT-ST out, and Slave One coming). The ships are pretty sticker-heavy, but they also come with water-transfers as well as regular stickers if those are your thing.

The real prize of the line's probably gonna be the obscenely large 1/1700 Imperial Star Destroyer they showed off at a model show. :allears:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Van Dis posted:

Thanks, y'all. Does that mean that Bandai doesn't sell these kits in the U.S.? I was hoping for a B-Wing, but it doesn't look like they make one.

Give'em time, and you'll probably get one. This is the page on the Bandai website (in Japanese) with all the upcoming Star Wars releases. Most of the upcoming stuff at the moment is from the new movie though.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Nostalgia4Ass posted:

I thought we weren't starting until November either. I need to go out and buy paint and some tools since I couldn't bring any of my stuff to Japan with me.

Welcome to the addiction that is Gunpla.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Ka0 posted:

It is for November, the reason I'm doing it now is there's a crapton of work coming up mid-October and I just know I won't have the time between the Pz.Kpfw IV, the Su-27 and the contest. Also my "custom" is just basically mashing two kits into one, so I'll have to scratch-fit some joints and that takes me longer than just painting.

I wish I'd have SPARE JOINTS available in the corner kiosk like the japanese do. God they are spoiled rotten.

Get the HGBC Gunpla Battle Arm Arms set. More elbow-joints than you'll ever need.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Colonial Air Force posted:

There sure are a lot of little parts in this Hi-Mock kit.

Actually the Hi-Mock's parts are pretty big in-general compared to some. Especially the Real Grade kits, which are basically the 1/100-scale Master Grade kits scaled down to 1/144 scale (High-Grade and Real-Grade size) and stuffed with tiny detail pieces that can, and will, ping off into the ether if given the chance.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Colonial Air Force posted:

Sure, but then there's all those weapons and accessories....

They're little Gundam Barbie dolls.

Bandai knew drat-well what they were doing when they made the Build Fighters series and kit line :shepspends:. Every single kit is filled with modular sockets, and there's an entire line of backpacks (Boosters), accessories and guns to go along with them (HGBC, or High-Grade Build Custom). They also started the All-Gundam Project in tandem, which released standardized modern releases of popular Gundams that could also be customized with the same accessories. If you want to spend a little extra, there's also the System Weapon sets. They're RG-quality weapon packs that have a few weapons made up of customizable parts, down to multiple rifle barrels or sword blades depending on the set.

Incidentally, don't watch Gundam: Build Fighters unless you're prepared to burn money on kits and an HGBC Booster or two.

edit:

Just to show you what hells this hobby will bring;

This is a HG Kampfer Amazing, with two System Weapon 005's (the Gatling Guns) an Amazing Booster (the thigh rockets), and an Amazing Weapon Binder (the second set of shoulder cannons).

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 13:26 on Nov 8, 2015

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

The Locator posted:

Thanks everyone. It was a very long day, left the house before 5am, and got home about 9pm pretty exhausted. I was one of the club photographers for the event so I've got a lot of photo editing to do today. I will eventually get the pictures up in a gallery somewhere and post a link. I shot the ships and all the diorama's. I also took some other random photo's, but not 'officially', including a pretty full set of all the figures, but I didn't really shoot hardly any aircraft or armor this time. Was there all day and yet somehow the time just disappeared.

Here are the spiffy awards they gave me. The little round medallion is the first place for surface ships, pretty much all the regular awards are identical except for the wording on the paper. The big plaque is for the best in category (ships). Based on how many times the judges came back and inspected the ship after all the placing was done, I was at least a strong consideration for best of show, but it ended up going to a Nashorn that I never even saw. I'll have to wait for the club photo gallery to go up to even see it!

That must've been an insanely impressive Nashorn to top that gorgeous ship of yours :eyepop:.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

vkeios posted:

Also far as I know, that Zaku+tank set is the only way to get them in 1/144. Though they (and a lot of the misc support vehicles) come in 1/35 scale too.

Zeon's Magellas got standalone kits though.
Same with the Loto, which is an adorably small robot-tank.

The Loto is a great little kit, and so small you actually get a pair of them.

It is extremely tiny, however. That's an HG kit beside one for scale. (It's a Jesta Cannon, for the curious.) The balance on it isn't great, but it does actually transform from tank to robot as well as any Transformer.

Also, if you want an actual walking tank from a Gundam series, I recommend the Tieren.

It is literally a Russian walking tank.

It's kinda lacking a proper tanky cannon though, so I gave mine a bazooka :v:.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Blue Footed Booby posted:

Let's not put the cart-tank before the robot horse.

I thought you were doing Hi-Mocks, not Fuunsaiki? :v:

Finished building the hi-mock. Man, for a $15 kit, these things have a ton of parts and are very high quality. Plus they're fun to pose!

Let's play the children's favourite, "boot the fascist"!

Oh you, your silly knife can't do anything against my punchy fist!

You forgot nuclear-noogie the Nazi!

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

jadebullet posted:

Ugh, I think I need to get one of these stupid little knockoff Gundam things.

They're official Gundam kits, the Hi-Mock was just a cheap knockoff in the series its from.

They're also very cheap and insanely well-built for their price because Bandai know you will drop another $30-$50+ on more kits and/or accessories.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

jadebullet posted:

So my Hi-Mock arrived, and it went together really nicely. Now I am currently modifying it. What have you goons gotten me into?

Wait til you discover the HGBC line. Then all hope is lost for your wallet :allears:.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Cartoon posted:

Scale modelling is more an affliction than a hobby.

It's amazing watching the Gundam threads where Build Fighters is concerned.

Stage One; "Oh hey, Build Fighters is good? I'll check it out"

Stage Two; "So where can I get just a kit of this design? :shepspends:"

Stage Three; "Why and how do I now own a dozen different Gundam kits?"

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Baronjutter posted:

Didn't someone post a model of a Y-Wing with all it's cowling or what ever on? Like the Y-wings we see in the movies are basically stripped off all their body panels but hey were supposed to be all sleek like a streamlined steam engine?

Oh here it is

Just a lovely toy though. Would be cool to see a model kit with the cowling optional/removable.

Yeah, the Y-Wings are all flying cowling-off because they're ancient flying shitboxes in constant need of fixing.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Sanguine posted:

Hey there thread, long time no see.

I've spent god-knows how many hours over the last few days putting a wooden deck on the Tirpitz the most painful way possible..

I needed to share as it's driving me mad. I didn't even take the deck hardware off first :smith:

"Ahh-CHOoo!"

Sorry, It's all I could think of from reading that. It looks really nice.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Jonny Nox posted:

So I built my Hi-Mock last night and my son just saw it.

I may have something to pry his mind away from Star Wars... (He's got a mustang to build first and I'm not making another hlj order for awhile though)

If your kid doesn't mind subtitles, the anime it's from is pretty fun and has some of the best robot fights out of the whole Gundam franchise.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R9H1u1zFVNc
It's all up legally on Bandai's Gundam youtube channel and it'll start putting big holes in your wallet as you see gundam designs you want a kit of. Sorry.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Jonny Nox posted:

Well, he's just a little too young to read the subtitles fast enough (he's also still weak at reading for his age) But it turns out that doesn't matter; Gundams fighting are Gundams fighting. So his next model is going to be a Gyan. Then he went and built decidedly non-star wars ships with his Lego, so I've at least taken the edge off a little bit.

You're best off waiting for the upcoming REVIVE version than the original HG Gyan. It's one of the oldest kits in the line from around 2000-ish.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Wasn't Bandai promising an AT-AT kit as part of their line at some point? I know they certainly showed off an oversized Star Destroyer that still hasn't surfaced again.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

No Pun Intended posted:

Guess I am selling the children back to the mines.

Look at this idiot who doesn't lease his offspring to the factories so they get a constant stream of income :rolleyes:.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Kibner posted:

In case some of you haven't seen the show:

And, yes, that is a car as its head.

And if you haven't seen the show, go watch Megas XLR. :rock:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Baronjutter posted:

Why does that robot have a huge robo penis dragging on the ground?

To protect its robo balls, duh :rolleyes:.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

lilljonas posted:

Pass through the hobby shop to pick up glue after an emergency visit to the dentist.

End up with a consolation Warspite that was on sale.

Please dont use hobby glue to fix your teeth :ohdear:.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

makka-setan posted:

I actually got the TIE and the X-wing because they were supposed to be the same scale and would look good next to each other.

If you want that, get the respective 1/72 Bandai kits. The ones Revell ran to Daddy Disney to sob about and get them to make Bandai stop exporting outside Japan (but can still be easily had through Amazon) because they were outselling Revell's by leaps and bounds.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Biffmotron posted:

Well, a few months back I decided to get into scale modelling. So I bought a kid and some junk

:stonk:

Look, you gotta do the kit yourself. Its not a hobby if you're just gonna lock some kidnapped child in the basement and make them assemble it for you.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Probably a fire hazard, considering there's 20+ of them.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Jonny Nox posted:

Oh come on man, it's like ABC.

As easy as 123!

That's bad! And you know it!

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
That Viper is frakking gorgeous :allears:.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Blue Footed Booby posted:

Shipping from Japan is a bizarre crapshoot. Sometimes it's there in a week, sometimes you hear nothing for a month then it shows up. One time three weeks passed, I got a "item has shipped" notice, then it arrived two days later.

Only when going to America, though. Down in Australia I consistently get stuff like Gunpla in a pretty consistent timeframe of a week or so.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

NTRabbit posted:

"Ok so we're here, and Germany is over here. How long is that going to take us?"

"LEFT turn, Steve. I said a LEFT turn when we went through Albaqurque!"

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Arquinsiel posted:

I love how it has absolutely massive wheels but the ground clearance is still terrible :allears:

It's like the reason everything down to drinks trays has a repulsorlift in it is that they just hadn't fully grasped the wheel yet.

It clears the ground of anything standing on it pretty drat well though.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Unkempt posted:

My crapkit won a silver medal. Silver means I'm the best loser :unsmith:

What could possibly have beaten a Hi-Mock punishing a toilet?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Nebakenezzer posted:

Is this like somebody's private scrapyard? I dig how the photographers show up in several small helicopters?

I assume they just used quadcopters to get those aerial shots.

edit:

Uh... is that a missile?!:stare:.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

RillAkBea posted:

If there's any thread on this forums where robot dinosaurs aren't welcome, I don't wanna be a part of it! ...until E/N gets a robot dinosaur survivor support thread at least.

I've not tried anything from Kotobukiya before, how do you think it compares to stuff like Bandai's snap-fit kits?

I had to look that up on Youtube just to see what kind of crazy anime roar that thing makes.

Kotobukiya's Snap-Fits are just like Bandai's, polycaps and all, though they do tend to be more expensive than Bandai kits. Speaking of, if we're cross-posting Zoid kits I recently made one too.

This is the Liger Zero. Or at least, the basic frame sans its default armor. It uses interchangeable armor/weapon sets, of which I bought the Panzer version. You can get them as a standalone kit with the basic unarmored Liger Zero body(which I did) or you can get the three CAS Armor sets individually to swap onto a Liger Zero kit.

For scale compared to an HG 1/44 Gundam kit;

Giddiyup!

And once the Panzer CAS armor's actually mounted, it looks like this;

MORE DAKKA! :orks101:

The Liger Zero's are some of the more expensive HMM 1/72 Zoid Kits, and the difference shows. The lower-price ones are similar to HG-quality Gundam kits (basic colour separation, polycaps mixed with plastic friction joints), but the upper-tier ones like the Liger Zero and Gojulas get their money's worth out of their higher price point with polycaps in every joint and an amazing degree of detail. This thing had runners going all the way up to Z and insane amounts of part separation. Just as an example; each leg is made up of about 20-30 individual pieces, and that's before mounting the Panzer Armor bits.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Finished painting a few dudes for my Karl Gerat. For some reason, the one on the left is vastly less detailed than the rest of them, even though IIRC they all came from the same kit.

Zee Nazi Ministry of Zilly Valks.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Darth Brooks posted:

I love the expression on his face.

That is the expression of a man fighting his way through guns and glory to find the nearest working toilet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

RillAkBea posted:

Holy crap, that's actually sad. What do you even do at that point? :smith:

Go on a remote-controlled 1/48-scale tank rampage with live ammo to show just how realistic it really is?