Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003
I've wanted to do battle damage on a model since I was kid. :D

I call this one "Bit of a rough go today, eh, chap?" A 610 Squadron Spitfire Mk Ia returns home after tussling with some Messerschmitts over the Channel.

Now that this is done, I can get working on the payment for Friend, purveyor of micro-scale Trucknutz™.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003
Did you pass muster?

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003

tidal wave emulator posted:

This is really nice, I like that you've been restrained in your weathering elsewhere on the model and that helps highlight and draw the eye to the battle damage. Usually when you see a damaged model the builder goes whole hog and it's just all f'd up and the eye doesn't know where to go. Good job!

Thank you. I particularly appreciate that comment as, much to my son's chagrin, I really made a conscious effort not to overdo the damage effect.

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003
That was the stopper for my Kongo build. A lot of the PE stuff isn't all that great and a good 3d printed item would be far superior. Fortunately, Black Cat models makes most of the major, repetitive assemblies like ammo boxes and aa guns. I just need to suck it up, count out the number I need and make the purchase.

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003
Aside from this delightful thread, where do you go online to talk about all things scale modeling? Since I ditched reddit, it's pretty much here and the Large Scale Planes forums. I've found the hyperscale, missing-lynx, and kit makers network forums to be a bit pedantic for my tastes.

I'm just looking for people who are positive, encouraging, and supportive to people of all skill levels. Like here.

Any good recommendations?

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003
Fabulous! I love it.

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003

Friend posted:

Send me something dumb before I have to give you a red text about testicle theft >: (

The check is in the mail! I swear it! :D

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003

Friend posted:

You're off the hook, the tiny singing (were?)wolf arrived today and is howling on the hood of my pickup, thank you

Yay! May you be forever blessed by a host of furries. Yiff yiff, amen.

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003

Dr. VooDoo posted:

So I bought all the stuff to do scale monster models and was doing well at the first few stages but I ended up freezing up when it was getting into filling seam lines and eventually painting because I’m scared of messing up my models and it’s resulted in me stalling out now for nearly a year. Anyone else experience, I guess for lack of a better term, model hesitation because you don’t wanna gently caress it up?

100%

Almost every build is filled with that sort of hesitation. For me, it hits worst around filling seams and putting the base coat of paint down. As the other person said, the only solution is to power through it. 99% of the time it's not as bad as I make it out to be in my head.

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003
Hi, all. Modelling adjacent, but I just got this book set yesterday and I am tickled pink - Son of Sherman - Second Edition - The Sherman Design and Development - 2 Volume Set. I'm not even a huge Sherman nut, but it's super high quality and is just an awesome reference if you're into the vehicle at all. It's not cheap by any measure (~$250), but I think it's absolutely worth it, and with a limited run, it will only get more expensive on the secondary market.

I've got a 1/35 Rye Field M4A3E8 interior kit on the short list to build and I think these are going to be absolutely indispensable for getting the details right. Anyway, I'm not associated with it at all other than being a happy customer, and I figured there might be some like minded folks out there in this thread. I got mine from David Doyle Books. I'm not sure if they're the only seller, but they're certainly the only seller that has it as it was just released this week.

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003

grassy gnoll posted:

I'm curious to see how you like the Easy Eight interior kit, since I've been staring at the one in my backlog for longer than I'm willing to admit. The Firefly variant was kinda rougher than I'd like, and if I'm remembering correctly, you had the same experience.

Do you have enough catalog with Steve Zaloga's modeler-oriented books to say how SOS compares? I have to assume this set's a little more comprehensive than the usual one-volume books, if nothing else.

My recollection of the Firefly build was that the build itself was fine but the tracks were crap. It seems that rye field gives you just enough parts in the kit to build the tracks, but the track parts are very small and fragile. So if you break even a couple of them you are going to be short on tracks. I ended up buying three or four different aftermarket sets of tracks for that kit, none of which were long enough, so I finally just broke down and bought an additional set of tracks from rye field to complete the build.

I have already bought a new set of metal tracks for the easy 8 sherman. I'm hoping that will nip that whole problem in the bud.

I don't think I have too many armor-related modeling books so I can't speak definitively regarding a comparison. I can say that now that I'm 100 or so pages into the book, it's very well written and clearly written by people with a passion for the topic. It's a fascinating and enjoyable read so far and I'm not even that big on the Sherman itself.

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003
With ships, I usually paint by major subassembly.

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003
Welcome aboard, Friend. :love:

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003
Speaking of big rear end airplanes, this monster is slowly progressing towards the finish line.

I'm going with wheels down, so hanging from the ceiling will be weird. I think instead, I'm going to try to mount it to the wall with the nose at the 12 o'clock position. That's future me's problem though. In general, the kit (Hobby Boss 1/32 B-24J Liberator) is pretty underwhelming. By virtue of the fact that it's loving huge, it has some wow factor, but outside of the the detail is really meh and the fit is only fair to middling. I'm building it for an Overlord group build at the LSP forums, so the deadline is June 6th. I think I can hack that. :)

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003
I just burned through an entire jar of Mr Surface 1500 priming this dumb B-24. Shoulda bought a rattle can.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003
I have two iwata hp-cs airbrushes with quick disconnect air fittings (best $8 ever). I run one with the .35mm nozzle and the other with the .5mm. The latter is typically used for priming and clears. I've got another brush on the way though I forget the model number. It's got a wide, flat spray pattern and I'm hoping to start using that for priming and clears.

The only time I ever find myself swapping back and forth between colors is when I'm masking and painting insignias. Two brushes are helpful, but not required. In the end, it's just another brush to clean at the end of the night.