Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

Danger - Octopus! pointed to this thread so I thought I'd show some work off.

Click here for the full 2048x1536 image.

This is a small tank diorama I made. I put it together a few years ago while playing Call of Duty with a realism unit (clan). I made this page explaining how the base was made: http://www.darthbrooks.net/Tank/Tank.html It was made long enough ago to have a 56K warning on it.

This is another kit, the interceptor from Mad Max. The car I want is Chitty Chitty Bang Bang but nobody makes it.

Click here for the full 900x471 image.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I've pretty much quit making models but the one car I'd like to build is one from Chitty Chitty Bang Bang. Why do they have models of virtually everything else that has been in movies / comics / tv series/ anime but not that car? I know there's a replica for $40 and an ancient and expensive Aurora kit but nothing current.

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

SkunkDuster posted:

I bought a 1966 Ford Mustang coupe about 15 years ago and had the idea of painting it up like a P-51 Mustang with aluminum panels, rivets, checkered nose, etc. That never happened because I decided I really didn't enjoy restoring cars and ended up selling it. Still, the idea of painting cars to look like WW2 fighter planes always appealed to me. Inversely, I thought it might be cool to do a plane in NASCAR livery, but it would probably work a lot better on something like a WW2 fighter that has a side profile. There isn't much to work with on the side profile of modern fighters. Wouldn't it be awesome to have a hardtop NASCAR Superbird painted like a P-51 Mustang and a P-51 decked out in NASCAR STP livery? I don't even like NASCAR racing, but the idea of those two models side by side is something I'd love to do.

I did a Spitfire Vette, similar to what you were talking about doing.

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

For the longest time I wanted to build an AT-AT and motorize it.

E: Awesome.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ti6OQO0SqTc

Darth Brooks fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Jul 30, 2015

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

Baronjutter posted:

The thicker parts of my modge-podge waves aren't drying right, it's like they're filled with bubbles or white or something. I don't know if I should just wait or do another coat or sand them down or what.

That looks fantastic.

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

Throbbing blob posted:

Edit: Sorry about the reflections. I'm really trying to get the angle of least reflection, but it's kinda hard to juggle both the object I want to snap, and try to minimise reflection. Enjoy my terrible cheap shirt.

Ever try a polarized lens?

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

That would make an interesting model. Very Star Trek-ish. It would be neat to have a progression New>Used>Abused.

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

Triggerhappypilot posted:

Working on a worthy opponent for the Gneisenau I built a few months ago.

I love the Rodney. It's a real life Imperial Star Destroyer - all guns facing forward. "We will never retreat. We can't."

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I love the expression on his face.

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

Suspect Bucket posted:

So my Grandpa (Frederick Gutheil) served on the USS Cubera, and made himself a souvenir some time in 74. Bought an off the shelf model and made himself a plaque.

(click for big)

I posted this in the Milhist thread, and look what popped up!

This is awesome to know. My Grandpa and Dad did model building, but I haven't done any since I was 12. I was kind of hoping something could be done for the cracking crappy paint. Can it be refinished at this point, or should I just buy a new model and re-do it? I'd hate to gently caress up the original. Or should I just leave it be? Any special treatment an old model needs beyond keep out of direct sunlight and don't spray with solvents?

Definitely leave it alone. The fact that it's painted by someone who served on her gives even a crap paint job a meaning that a perfect paint job wouldn't have.

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I like the lighting in that shot.

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

Unkempt posted:

Hahaha no.

This, on the other hand... any volunteers?

I could give it a try. If you need photos of kits I've done I can post them up.

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

If he could have, Hitler would have definitely built the Death Star.

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

Look at what showed up! The crap plane!

Out of the box. The line up issues are as advertised. It's not so much a kit as the raw material to carve a kit out of.

These two are being pressed together.

After some clean up. The red arrow is pointing to the wheel winglet and it's just straight going to need to be carved. I wondered what the two thin pieces were and then I realized THOSE ARE THE SPARS! You have to cut them (ALL) to size, and then glue them. There's just the barest impression of where the braces go.These things have no strength whatsoever. I may just carve some toothpicks instead.

I have no idea why the top wing was molded in three pieces.

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

Bonus shot of the instructions.

I think it might just be pewter. incidentally, those seats are meant to be glued to the side of one of the fuselage pieces THEN the interior is painted. You don't see it but part of the instructions for painting the US version essentially say that they don't know what colors they were, you're on your own for that.

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

This is it.

Now think about it. Those braces have to be measured and cut by hand.

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

The body of the plane should be easy enough. I've got some scrap Sintra/Komotex which is a plastic that's really easy to carve, I'll use it to shore up the inside. Those struts, that's gonna be a bugger.

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I'm not sure "good" is a word I'd use with this kit but here's a picture.

The original box was something else.

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

You should get some of those micro brushes they sell in hobby stores. Perfect for getting into tiny little crevices. They sort of look like little inter-dental brushes.

But buy from eBay. Hobby stores will charge you $4 for 5 of them. You can get them from China on eBay for something like $10 for 500 of them. I'll try and get a link up when I get home, if you haven't found them by then.

EDIT: These were the three sizes of brushes I bought. $3cad for 100, free shipping.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/100PC-Dental-Disposable-Micro-Brush-Tooth-Materials-Micro-Applicators-Small-Swab-/381654389116?hash=item58dc5fd17c
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/100PCS-Dental-Micro-Brush-Disposable-Dental-Materials-Tooth-Applicators-Medium-/381655542700?hash=item58dc716bac
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/100PCS-Dental-Disposable-Micro-Brush-Tooth-Materials-Micro-Applicators-Large-New-/361577938261?hash=item542fb97d55

Are the shafts made of plastic or pressed cardboard? I'm needing something to replace the braces on the turdplane.

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I'm beginning to make some progress on the crapplane. I bought piano wire (the hobby type) for the braces. The ones that came with the kit have the strength of wet spaghetti. I plan to heat up the wire in order to make the fitting holes. Biggest issue is going to be cutting the braces. I can't sand them.

Building up the cockpit. The instructions say to glue stuff to the side but there's no way that's happening. As it is I had to sand and then squeeze the pilots seat in order for the two sides to fit together.

there are some fitting issues.

My wife's comment was "I hope he (Unkempt) didn't spent that much money on the kit.

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

The silver parts are the seat.

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

Crap plane is coming along. Yes, there are shavings everywhere. I have to make a jig to keep the wings even while I put the spars in. They had very small holes to indicate where the spars went so I've had to do some drilling. Actually, some of the holes were bumps.

It really does still look like a dog has been chewing on it.

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

Mister Kingdom posted:

If you squint a little, it looks real.

It looks like a good place to work.

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

An update on the crap plane. I built a jig to add struts.

Afterward I ending up moving one of the lower wings because it wasn't straight. Otherwise I thought it turned out well.

I did a base coat of silver mainly to test the sanding job. I'll paint it later. There are still a few flaws in it ( I realized to late I put the aileron in upside down) but it's getting there.

Darth Brooks fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Mar 11, 2017

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

The jig was made from a foam box from Braum's

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

Darth Brooks fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Mar 11, 2017

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

Surprise!

I did a google search for Merlin Models. Most of them are reviews talking about how bad the plane. Best one was "An ancient short run injection moulded kit, consisting of parts that might look vaguely like bits of TSR2 in poor light or if you have cataracts. There are absolutely no redeeming features in this box of horrors, and it should be avoided at all costs. In 2011 a shop in the US was reportedly selling off stock of these at $4.95 each; they were still overpriced. Having said that, it is at least marginally easier to build than the Contrail monstrosity (below) and the shapes are a little better too, so it gets one star for that. This is not a recommendation of any kind - avoid!"

I tried adding decals but my spare ones and the ones from the kit were all old and unusable except for one star.

It's funny that these were high end tech in 1918 and would have been a lot more famous had the war continued.

Darth Brooks fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Mar 12, 2017

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

Yes, and the planes go whoosh as they fly by.

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I like their description of the Starsky and Hutch Gran Torino. "A model construction kit of this liberally dimensioned upper-middle-class vehicle. The Torino became well known worldwide through a US American crime series that was transmitted from 1975 onwards."

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I think I did that Submarine at some point.

May I suggest a real crap plane, maybe a Merlin Models Fokker C.1.

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

Hey!, http://round2corp.com/product/interplanetary-ufo-mystery-ship-2/

I had one of these when I was a kid. It was a Star Trek model, the invisible alien space ship that they couldn't show you because the budget was too low. It was glow in the dark. ....and I just found out the model's history: http://frank.bol.ucla.edu/le.html

This is the box art from when I was a kid. I guess it was originally the Lief Ericson Galactic Cruiser of Strategic Space Command.

The box included a free record of The Sounds of Space.

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

Gewehr 43 posted:

Presenting the USS Chevalier (DD-451) in 1/144 scale. Finished her up last night to wrap up about 6 months of steady building. This is the platinum edition of the Revell Germany kit that came with a crazy amount of photo etch. While not perfect, I'm really happy with the way it turned out, especially for my first attempt at a ship. It's really interesting to me how the build process differs from subject to subject. With tanks, you build everything then paint. Airplanes are a mix of build/paint/build/paint. Ships get everything built as subassemblies, painted, then stuck together. Having rigged a relatively few lines on this thing I cannot begin to fathom how tall-ship builders do this. I seriously have a new-found respect for you guys.

Anyway, there are additional comments and thoughts in the Imgur album.

That's beautiful.

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

Arquinsiel posted:

I found it amusing that they seemed to paint their "Tiger" in the British camo of the day.

Hey, they did a lot better than Patton or Battle of the Bulge.

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

The Locator posted:

It wouldn't shock me.. there are some crazy people into modeling. :v:

Here is an interesting collection. Every single model the guy has made for the last 46 years, the oldest model in the collection was started when he was 5, and somehow even starting at that age, every single one was done in 1/72 scale. Say hello to over 700 1/72 scale models all together from the same builder:

He must have not had a younger brother. Mine kept damaging whatever I built by playing with them.

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

Did your parents watch you 24/7? Little kids are sneaky, love new toys and that freshly painted model airplane looks a lot like a toy. I have a two year old and he stares and points to the plastic kits in the display case. Before he's four I'm going to have to hide them.

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I (still) wish someone came out with a model of the car from Chitty Chitty Bang Bang.

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

Took me a moment to realize that was Diorama and not the band.

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

Artesania Latina 22810 1/48 HMS Bounty

https://www.ebay.com/p/Artesania-Latina-22810-1-48-HMS-Bounty-Model-Building-Kit/18020469354

300.00 or so

Darth Brooks fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Aug 22, 2018

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

Jonny Nox posted:

Your wish is my etc.

Here's the resukt of a quick google:

http://cs.trains.com/mrr/f/88/t/87119.aspx

Fun starts halfway down:

Every single one of those pricks has a shaft the size of a telephone pole up their rear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

Dunno if this fits here but I thought you might like it. I bought a very beat up and rusty Tonka truck at a flea Market .I just started working at a place that does graphics and the owner has a side sandblasting business. I took apart the truck and he had it powder blasted. Then I painted it. Then I made some decals over several breaks. This is how it looks. Right now my son is two and doesn't quit get it (He likes playing in the sink and taking things in and out of the trash can) but I hope when he's older he'll like it.