Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

After an inordinate amount of research for my airship, I'm slightly stuck on the design. It's definitely going to be a vacuum airship with pre-steampunk technobabble involving Sir Isaac Newtown's dabblings in alchemy to hand-wave the whole "substance light enough to be <1g per liter and strong enough to not implode while holding a vacuum" technicality. Now I'm just torn between two layouts for the "balloon".

First one, four brass or copper spheres on each mast:

Alternatively, pretend the "balloons" are tucked inside a sailcloth envelope:

Right now, I'm leaning towards the second one, since it seems more aesthetically pleasing, and wouldn't subject the crew to massive orbs of metal baking in the sun all day...

I spent all day coming up with a vaguely convincing history for this thing, so yeah, I'm gonna consider the comfort of an entirely fictitious crew :colbert:

Cthulu Carl fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Sep 4, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Does anyone have any experience with this Cruiser model? I'm sure it's probably crap, but it's the ship my grandpa served on, and it was $13 bucks (another one of the EXACT SAME model was labelled as $20 - don't ever change, hobby store run by doddering old men). I'm just wondering if anyone who's suffered through it has any tips.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Jumpingmanjim posted:

It's a reissue of a model they made in the 50s (or 60's), so it's not gunna be as good as kits made in last few years. The reason why is it such a strange scale is because they made it to fit a standard box size, not to be consistent with a standard scale like 1:350.

It might be helpful to look athe instructions pdf in your link, that will give you an idea about how detailed it is.

The revell one is the only one made by a major model company. There is also a 1:700 scale and 1:350 scale made in resin.
http://www.modelwarships.com/reviews/ships/cl/cl-50/350-cw/review.html
http://www.modelwarships.com/reviews/ships/cl/cl-50/700-ms/midship-review.html

Yeah, I opened it as soon as i got it home to make sure it was the right one -- the previous Helena (CL-50, which your linked kits are based on - but thanks for them, since I'm leaning towards doing mainly ship models) sank in 1943, the next (CL-113), got cancelled, and my grandpa served on CA-75 (which the Revell kit is based on).

I also picked up a pretty cool 1:700 Typhoon Ballistic Missile sub that I am sorely tempted to turn into Red October.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Nebakenezzer posted:

I had that when I was a kid. I'm not sure what you mean 'turn into' the Red October, the October was just a Typhoon class.

Yeah, but the Caterpillar drives have to be represented somehow.

And a portrait of Sean Connery meticulously painted onto a grain of sand and installed on the bridge.:v:

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Nebakenezzer posted:

They left off the caterpillar drives on my model. This is possibly because the entire sub was covered in acoustic-absorbing tiles. (Or they already had a Typhoon model and all they did to adapt it was remove the bow sensor.)

Actually, did we actually *see* the back of the caterpillar drive? I remember the front of it...

This site apparently has pics of the studio model, and it shows the back end with the drives. The back end is fairly different from what I have ( This Hobby Boss kit), so I might not worry about it.

I also found some hand-made abortion from a modeler who could barely spell in his rant about how the drives in the movie would be ineffective because the "'exhaust' doesn't go over the planes." :pseudo:

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Protip: When snipping little fiddly bits from the sprue, hold the gently caress onto the little fiddly bit!

I'm working on a 1:144 scale B-25, and one of the rear landing gear doors went flying and is completely gone. I also completely hosed up the front landing gear door. Good thing I wanted the gear up... And have putty...

In other news, for anyone interested, the Hobby Boss 1:700 scale Typhoon is... Boss. I'll post some pictures once I get it done, but it's a pretty nice little kit. And dead easy - the assembly directions are printed on the back of the box (an area about the size of a large envelope). The pieces all fit together nicely, outside of some clamping needed for the hull halves. Not bad for $8.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Finally finished my first "serious" model in a long time. It still needs some work, but I'm pleased with it based on my attempts at airplane models as a kid. And of course my good camera's dead so have a lovely cell pic:

1:144 scale TBF Avenger. I went with the markings for No. 5 Squadron, Royal New Zealand Air Force because:

A) I had all the colors for it already
B) It had the fewest number of decals (I think this might actually be the first time I've actually did the decals right!)
C) I got it Memorial Day Weekend a few years back at the USAF Museum and painting it up in another nation's colors amused me.

Cthulu Carl fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Feb 12, 2012

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Granite Octopus posted:

This might be my memory failing, but was there a goon-made app (for iOS or Android) that let you look up and convert paint codes for all manufacturers?

I think this is the one you mean: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.OrbSoftware.HobbyHelper

At least, that's the one I have installed.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Man, all I got around me is a Hobbytown. And those old dudes seem way more interested in RC planes than anything else... :(

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Nebakenezzer posted:

Er, true, dude actually owns Lionel trains

Huh, that explains the Neil Young shrine I saw when I went here last year.

You can actually buy advertising space on the tiny billboards.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Tias posted:

Any of you Scale goons know if there's a thread for Flames of War players somewhere? I've been meaning to get into the game and need help.

Here's the thread for historical games in general.

I don't know if there's one just for Flames of War, but it gets discussed a lot in there.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Put together a Minicraft 1:144 scale WC-130J (the plane the Air Force flies through hurricanes).

Minicraft must have a Hercules fetish because they have a poo poo-ton of variants. Problem is, they all use the same fuselage mold, so to make the 130J, you have to slice out the sponsons just forward of the rear landing gear and insert the J-model sponsons. So I had to do some massive putty work to make it looks decent from arm's length - massive for me at least because I haven't used the stuff in years. I should have blended in the cockpit more, but after the sponsons, I was burned out on puttying and sanding.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Finally got around to working on models again by painting the Academy 1:72 M3 Half-track, GPA, and motorcycle that I assembled like four years ago

M3 Half-track:

Ford GPA and motorcycle:

The motorcycle is missing a few pieces because they were so fiddly, I accidentally snapped them. And thank god for Micro Sol, because I don't think that decal on the hood of the half-track would have ever fit without it.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Ensign Expendable posted:

You can just submerge it into the ground with the tail sticking up. A crash landing doesn't have to reveal that many internal bits.

See also: The Cornfield Bomber

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Iron Crowned posted:

I live about a mile from this place:

http://www.entertrainmentjunction.com/

It's a big old family oriented model train display, which I've never actually looked at, I just go in and get modeling supplies there. Strangely enough though, they do not carry static grass, but have just about everything else I could need :confused:

Sup, West Chester Buddy?

Between Entertrainment Junction and the big rear end train display in the Justice League train station we use for a museum, I'm convinced southwest Ohio is intended as some sort of resort for autists.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Iron Crowned posted:

I didn't know the Hall of Justice had that, but I also haven't been there. At least it makes sense since it was a major train stop once upon a time.

I always find Entertrainment Junction weird though, because it's always packed, and I'd think a standalone train display (especially in such a growing suburb) wouldn't be enough of a draw to keep it's doors open.

I'm just glad I can get things like sheets of plastic, and just about any kind of shaped rod I'll ever need in about 15 minutes. Of course if I ever need static grass, I have to haul my rear end all the way to Hobbytown on the other side of Mason :negative:

That Hobbytown is sweet though because the old dudes who run it must have the early stages of Alzheimer's. They constantly have identical items priced radically different. A few years back, I picked up a model of the USS Helena for about $5 while the one right next to it was priced at $15 for no discernable reason.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Unkempt posted:

I've been meaning to do this for ages and it might be helpful for a couple of people; this is my list of actually good Airfix 1/72nd aircraft kits. They're relatively cheap (small fighters are about :10bux:) and these should have pretty good fit and detailing, especially for the price. I've only built about half a dozen of these but I've checked out reviews for the rest and they're all new tool and shouldn't have the shiteness associated with older Airfix kits.

code:

Boulton Paul Defiant Mk.1 1:72   A02069
North American P-51D Mustang 1:72  A01004
Vickers Valiant BK.Mk.1 1:72 A11001
Avro Lancaster BI(F.E.)/BIII 1:72 A08013
Avro Lancaster BII 1:72 A08001
Avro Lancaster B.III (Special) The Dambusters 1:72 A09007
Hawker Hurricane MkI 1:72 A01010
De Havilland DH.82a Tiger Moth 1:72 A01025
Bristol Blenheim MkIV Fighter 1:72 A04017
Bristol Blenheim MkI Bomber 1:72A04016
English Electric Lightning F6 1:72 A05042
English Electric Lightning F.2A 1:72 A04054
Douglas Dakota C-47 Skytrain 1:72 A08014
Hawker Hurricane MkI 1:72 A02067
Folland Gnat T.1 1:72 A01006
Supermarine Spitfire MkIa 1:72 A01071A
Supermarine Spitfire MkI/MkIIa 1:72 A02010
Supermarine Spitfire PRXIX 1:72 A02017
Hawker Typhoon Ib 1:72 A02041
North American F-51D Mustang 1:72 A02047
De Havilland Vampire T.11 1:72 A02058
Gloster Gladiator MkI 1:72 A02052
Gloster Gladiator J-8A/Gladiator Mk.II 1:72 A02063
Focke Wulf Fw190 F-8/A-8 1:72 A02066
Hawker Siddeley Harrier GR1 1:72 A03003
Hawker Siddeley Harrier GR3 1:72 A04055
Messerschmitt Bf110C-2/C-4 1:72 A03080
Fairey Swordfish Mk.1 1:72 A04053
Fairey Swordfish Mk.I Floatplane 1:72 A05006
Curtiss Hawk 81-A-2 1:72 A01003
Mitsubishi A6M2b Zero 1:72 A01005
Messerschmitt Bf109E-4 1:72 A01008
Messerschmitt Bf 109E-7/Trop 1:72 A02062
Focke Wulf Fw190A-8 1:72 A01020
Douglas A-4B/4P Skyhawk 1:72 A03029
Messerschmitt BF110E/E-2 Trop 1:72 A03081
Supermarine Swift F.R. Mk5 1:72 A04003
Dornier Do17z 1:72 A05010

I'll get round to doing 1/48th later.

I have the F-86 (The new one with John Glenn's MiG Mad Marine) and the MiG-15 kits and they're pretty decent except for some weird design decisions and probably some missing/wrong details. But for the price, I'd say they're "Good enough".

I really need to finish putting the decals on them...

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Arquinsiel posted:

So thinking about it, should we do Craptank 2.0: Son of Craptank in October or November? Leaving it until December runs into Christmas so that's basically not a good plan. Once we decide that we get to decide on what kit to build :woop:

I'd be down for Craptank or Crapplane. Even though I got a big backlog and haven't worked on anything for like a month.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

I actually have a partially assembled and primed Hi-Mock as part of my backlog.

I just need to come up with a paint scheme...

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

I'm doing NaNoWriMo in November so there's no way I'll be able to do that and the group build. But since I already have a partially assembled Hi-Mock that's been sitting around all summer, I'm gonna just cheat and start now.

Since it's football season, I'm just gonna say "gently caress it, Gunpla is freedom" and paint it up in OSU colors. A BuckHi-Mock.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

The Locator posted:

Silly me, I thought this was for November. Cheaters all starting early while I finish my boat. :v:

I was cheating before everyone settled on the Hi-Mock - I assembled and primed mine over the summer.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Unkempt posted:

I assembled and primed mine in an afternoon. What the hell were you doing?

(Got stuff still to do, though. I have a plan.)

OK yeah, it only took an afternoon to build and prime. I just meant I did it back in July. It's been sitting since then because I couldn't decide on a paint scheme. At first it was going to be a Juche Mock using DPRK decals from a MiG-15, but them I thought it's be funnier to use those on like an F-22 or -35.

Now I'm finally getting around to slapping Ohio State colors on it for a BuckHi-Mock. I should probably get some 1/100 hands and a tiny football for it, too. And magnetize the weapons so they can be stored on the backpack...

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

TasogareNoKagi posted:

I got distracted on the way to the metaphorical gunpla store.

I've never done photo-etch before :ohdear:

That kit's been on my Amazon Wish List for a while, and no I'm tempted to get it instead of the Bandai TIE Fighter in my cart...

Nah, I'll get the TIE so I can use my leftover North Korean MiG decals on it.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Arquinsiel posted:

But if you put them on the probe you can put teeny astronauts on it and claim it's a Bond movie or North Korean landing on the sun!

No, I have to get good enough at freehanding to paint Carl Sagan's portrait on Voyagers dish. Duuuh. :rolleyes:

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Welp, NaNoWriMo is taking more of my time than I hoped. Add to that the fact that I've decided my grey is too dark, so I had to strip the shoulders and legs and find a lighter grey (And now the weather's turned so I can't spray it just yet), and... The head is probably the only part of this Hi-Mock getting done in November.

Assuming I can get the time to clean it up...

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

porkfactor posted:

Never mind, my wife bought me another tank for christmas - looks like it could be pretty amazing

Only thing is, this is entirely made of paper, and none of the parts are punched - the tracks alone look like a nightmare.

that's page 1 of 3 for the tracks alone :madmax:

That reminds me, I have a book that makes a papercraft Ford Tri-Motor. I got it from my grandpa's book collection when he died when i was in like 5th grade and I've never touched it.

I should probably give it a shot some time...

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Brovine posted:

Sort of relevant: Even the UK did armoured trains. Though sometimes bureaucracy happened...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Romney,_Hythe_and_Dymchurch_armoured_train.jpg

Gonna propose some changes to Entertrainment Junction's little choo-choo ride...

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

A Valkyrie doing aerobatic sucking-wingmen-into-its-vortices sounds pretty metal.

EDIT: Wait, never mind, the 104 drifted into it.

Cthulu Carl fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Jan 19, 2016

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Put the scattered remains of a DeLorean just after a bridge over a gorge.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Molentik posted:

I don't think you can salvage that canopy. But what you could do is make a tissue tarp and put it over the canopy. Add a layer of dust/sand or snow over the plane and you have a nice little plane graveyard diorama! :pseudo:

Alternatively, fog it up even more, then put it up on a pedestal like it's chilling outside of an aerospace museum or something:

In either case add splotches of white so it looks like it's had birds making GBS threads on it.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Antifreeze Head posted:

And there's no need to limit it to the folks who do minis. If you prefer cars, just slap a racing stripe on the drat thing! It's not like it look at all like a dinosaur is supposed to, so there shouldn't be any need to paint it like one.

A few years ago for some reason I got this painting set of animals from the zoo. It's a lion, cheetah, giraffe, and elephant all molding in plain white plastic (It came with paint and a brush, but I threw that poo poo out). I've been wondering what to do with them since then, but I think I might have to do something like this and also get rid of some spare decals.

Hungarian Air Force lion! North Korean Air Force elephant!

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Pierzak posted:

Make sure to add a Superman-style cape.

Maybe I'll make a Flash cheetah.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

I swung by Micheal's one time because I needed one of those organizer boxes for bits.

The only ones they had were in their jewelry and beading section so the little old lady at the register got all giggly and ask "Oh, you got a lot of beads?"

Being the worthless nerd I am, responded "BEES?!" Like GOB Bluth.

Couldn't have done that with the old model train neckbeards at my hobby store.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Anyone have tips for stripping chromed parts? I'm finishing up the Bandai Phasma kit and she is shiny as poo poo, which is fine by me, but I need to get some of that poo poo off her hands and blaster to paint the right parts black. Or can I just paint over it? (I'm assuming that would be a massive pain, though)

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

The Locator posted:

So, just how big is a 64 gun 3rd rate ship of the line modeled in 1:24 scale?

Umm.. Fairly big...

I've been burned by this thread before, and I'm in not convinced that this is NOT a diorama.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Taintrunner posted:

I'm still waiting on the Rocinante from The Expanse, feels like months now.

Got a 3D printer? https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2060060

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Nebakenezzer posted:

I can sympathize, I just discovered the vinyl tracks Trumpeter gave this kit has an issue:

I don't see the problem, you got extra tack links right on the hull :downs:

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Blue Footed Booby posted:

The most fun way to have your historical accuracy cake and eat it too is to get models in pairs: a 109 and a spitfire, a panzer 4 and a Sherman, a zaku and Optimus Prime. Then apply battle damage to the bad guys.

Custom print decals using the Tomainian 'Double Cross' emblem from The Great Dictator

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Boomer The Cannon posted:

The Swiss Air Force flew German planes, along with the Israelis, Czechs and French post-1944 for a time (plus Spanish Buchons, which were ME-109s with Rolls-Royce Merlin engines).

E: https://weaponsandwarfare.com/2017/08/28/the-swiss-air-force-in-world-war-ii/

There's actually an Airfix ME-109 or something I keep wanting to get specifically because it has Swiss markings as an option

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

FrozenVent posted:

What if you’re making a crash site diorama, is it ok to put swastikas on the debris?

A diorama of the engineers who blew up that swaastika at the (I think) Nuremberg Rally site.

Just a big, 1/32 man sized swastika getting methodically wired with TNT by a bunch of laughing GI Joes.