Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

A long time ago ITT somebody posted a dump of Star Wars model building photos. It was neat because you could see all the re-purposed plastic kits they were using, like creating greebly layers out of the deck of a Bismark kit.

Iron Crowned posted:

Hey, The Orville uses physical models!

Get the gently caress out. Really?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Nebakenezzer posted:

Get the gently caress out. Really?

Yeah

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7N54eNGRDH8&t=188s

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

The Orville is the best Star Trek in decades

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

NTRabbit posted:

The Orville is the best Star Trek in decades

Yeah, and considering I put several Enterprise kits together as a child, I hope that one day I can buy an Orville kit.

Greyhawk
May 30, 2001

Iron Crowned posted:

Yeah, and considering I put several Enterprise kits together as a child, I hope that one day I can buy an Orville kit.

http://fantastic-plastic.com/orville_model.html

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
As much as i love the fact that Orville is using practical models, I don't think they're taking full advantage of it. I know in the show, it's not a dirty lived in universe like SW, but the models are so clean and perfectly built that they end up looking like CGI of middling quality.

Even if the ships aren't gonna be dirty, at least give it some panel line texture, a tiny bit in of variation in surface detail. Everything is way too clean and plasticy now.

Maybe they'll get a big budget bump in season 2 and can bump things up a bit.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

I'm still waiting on the Rocinante from The Expanse, feels like months now.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

As much as i love the fact that Orville is using practical models, I don't think they're taking full advantage of it. I know in the show, it's not a dirty lived in universe like SW, but the models are so clean and perfectly built that they end up looking like CGI of middling quality.

Even if the ships aren't gonna be dirty, at least give it some panel line texture, a tiny bit in of variation in surface detail. Everything is way too clean and plasticy now.

Maybe they'll get a big budget bump in season 2 and can bump things up a bit.

It's a mixture of 3D and physical model. The model is actually 3D printed from the CG version.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Taintrunner posted:

Got a 3D printer? https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2060060

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods

Taintrunner posted:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/The-Expanse-Rocinante-100-300mm-3D-Printed-Model/142507313049?hash=item212e190799:m:mtXkittVN78rDlIu_63ltdQ

I got the Donnager, it's pretty cool.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Cojawfee posted:

It's a mixture of 3D and physical model. The model is actually 3D printed from the CG version.

To be fair, the vast majority of commercial modeling and sculpting nowadays is done on computer via programs like zbrush. Especially projects with extreme mechanical details.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

Ensign Expendable posted:

Got a few more figures base painted.

Progress on the figures. I'm quite happy with how the leftmost one turned out, even though it was really intended as a test subject before I paint the better molded figures.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Progress on the figures. I'm quite happy with how the leftmost one turned out, even though it was really intended as a test subject before I paint the better molded figures.

Follow, follow, follow, follow, follow the yellow brick road!

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
The epic quest for the heart, brain, slippers, and clavicle.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
Has anyone else tried Vallejo Mecha Varnish? I just bought 2 oz of gloss and matte. The gloss went on sort of "sparkly" (for lack of a better word) but seems to have dried alright. It dried quickly and doesn't smell at all. The only downside is their bottle design, which sprays drops everywhere when you open the cap.

Kerro
Nov 3, 2002

Did you marry a man who married the sea? He looks right through you to the distant grey - calling, calling..
^^ I haven't tried that range, but speaking of Vallejo, has anyone had any success with their washes? I've tried all kinds of things to get a nice effect from them, but most of them (the light grey seems to be the worst offender) seem to leave an almost gritty, concentrated residue in recesses and patches even on flat surfaces. I'm wondering if I'm doing it wrong or if they're just not that good compared to the likes of Citadel.

The Nautilus base is complete!

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Kerro posted:

^^ I haven't tried that range, but speaking of Vallejo, has anyone had any success with their washes? I've tried all kinds of things to get a nice effect from them, but most of them (the light grey seems to be the worst offender) seem to leave an almost gritty, concentrated residue in recesses and patches even on flat surfaces. I'm wondering if I'm doing it wrong or if they're just not that good compared to the likes of Citadel.

Keep in mind all Vallejo washes are acrylic based, so they're a bit more finicky to use than most other manufacturers which are usually enamel or ink based. They're okay to use, but you really have to thin them and be on top of them, because they're dry quick and be stuck like glue. Much easier to use oils or enamels which are tweakable for hours or days.

Awesome base as well!

Dr. Phildo
Dec 8, 2003

Except the heaven had come so near,
So seemed to choose my door,The distance would not haunt me so

Soiled Meat
Also Vallejo- I’m not sure if I read it here or in miniatures thread, but Vallejo dropper bottles work a little better when you roll them along the work surface as opposed to just shaking. Seems to get sediments and whatnot moving.

That nautilus is going to look fantastic on that base with the lighting!

Molentik
Apr 30, 2013

Yeah i usually pinch the bottom a few times first before shaking, just shaking leaves a lot of the pigments stuck.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

My only problem with Vallejo has been some colors where the pigment seems to coagulate in the bottle. It doesn't lose any of the acrylic medium but I get this tough rubber mass floating in the now-white looking medium and it's impossible to mix.

Does anyone know how to fix this or can I just never allow it to get to that state.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Booyah- posted:

My only problem with Vallejo has been some colors where the pigment seems to coagulate in the bottle. It doesn't lose any of the acrylic medium but I get this tough rubber mass floating in the now-white looking medium and it's impossible to mix.

Does anyone know how to fix this or can I just never allow it to get to that state.

This being a scale model thing you can actually buy plastic mixing beads - I just use tiny round rocks

Nebakenezzer fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Nov 25, 2017

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Kerro posted:

Looks great!

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...
Airfix 1/72 Fokker Eindecker EII

Another good new tool one, oob + rigging

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

That's a great looking airplane!

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug

Trying out Vallejo Mecha Matt Varnish. I can't really compare it to anything, since this is the first varnish I'm using that isn't from a rattlecan, but I'm completely satisfied.

I'm also pretty happy with how they're turning out, aside from the chip on the rightmost guy's knee (I have no idea how it got there!) and the fact that the leftmost guy's face detail is really not at all up to par with the others.

Greyhawk
May 30, 2001

Great plane, Unkempt!

Scharnhorst 20

We stick yet another roof onto our layercake of roofs. We also build a couple of side roofs to stick into the recesses because there's an obvious lack of roofs there.

I realize this is incredibly boring being stuck at doing minute and invisible things to the forward deck structure week after week. This is really not how these ship partworks usually work, too. In any other battleship or sailing ship partwork there is much much more to do every week. I wonder where this is going. Luckily next week is the last one to deal with this particular section for a while.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
The first of this batch of figures is complete: the Zvezda Red Army commander.

The original kit wasn't exactly great at the time, let alone by modern standards, but I think I did okay aside from the face.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Looks decent!

If he's going in a dio, maybe put a mortar crater in front of him, and muddy up the clothes a bit. Then he just has mud splatter on his face from a close mortar strike.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
I think I'll classify him as a painting exercise and move on. I have better quality early war figures in less unnatural poses that could go into a diorama. This guy kind of looks like he's squatting down for a poop unless viewed from very specific angles.

Molentik
Apr 30, 2013

Reminds me that as far as I know, the only pooping figures in 1/35 are made by Verlinden.

Waffen SS of course...

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
Next one from the batch is done. This one turned out a lot better. Black leather is still hard to do shading on, and the skin is a lot paler than I would like, but I'm mostly happy.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
I'm a little teapot, short and stout....

Greyhawk
May 30, 2001

Finally found enough courage to paint the hull of the Mare Nostrum and I'm pretty happy with the results. Some small errors to correct, but nothing too bad. This was a nightmare to mask, but it went ok.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
Another Tamiya tanker. This one is super casual.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Gewehr 43 posted:

Should be. Give a review once you've had a chance to play with the Real Color stuff, eh? I'm curious to see how it works.

Did a basecoat using AK Pale Grey. Sprayed on better than any other airbrush paint I've used yet. I'm not a master airbrusher nor am I using a $500 airbrush.

I'm going to thin the next coat. So far I'm very pleased.

And the thinned coat. It really, really, likes to be thinned. It laid down with hardly a ripple once I thinned it equal parts paint to AK thinner.

Yooper fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Dec 6, 2017

Greyhawk
May 30, 2001

Scharnhorst issue 21

We finally finish working on the foreward deck superstructure by sticking in the little "side roofs" we built last week and extending the forward platform with some small bits.

We're reached the 15% point in this build so I guess it's time for another look at the whole thing so far.

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003
Maybe I missed it in some of your earlier posts, but what material is that and what are you using to glue it together? At the same time it looks like MDF and cardboard.

Greyhawk
May 30, 2001

Gewehr 43 posted:

Maybe I missed it in some of your earlier posts, but what material is that and what are you using to glue it together? At the same time it looks like MDF and cardboard.

The hull is MDF so far, it will later be planked with basswood. The internal elements of the deck structures are MDF with those deck elements that will be visible later being decked with a thin sheet of basswood. It's all glued with PVA glue.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
Forgot to post what is probably the best looking figure of my latest batch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Molentik
Apr 30, 2013

Oh that one turned out really great!