Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

I neverr thought I'd get to see a tank get ready to shed it's armor. Thank you for giving us this rare and precious glimpse into the wonders of tanks, my friend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Smoke posted:

Yeah, but you don't need to assemble, glue, fill, sand, paint, apply decals to or drill holes in them and they keep changing scale.

(Saying this as someone who recently became a dad, and it's taken a nice chunk out of my modelling time)

But you do get to kitbash.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

'Magic Sleep Box' is what I'm going to call my coffin.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Kurvi Tasch posted:

Nope, just instructions:

Is that a reminder to chock the wheels?

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Get those safety kittens to the OSHA thread.

Also tell me where I can buy one.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Beardcrumb posted:

Oh boy am I excited to start this kit at the weekend! Still deciding between making it as shown or really weathering/trashing it up and making a WW2 skirmish diorama :magemage:

Go post-war cleanup. Trash it up with damage, and debris, weather the people's clothes and put them in as passengers, then add a dude guiding a couple horses pulling it or something.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

I started working on a Minicraft 1/144 F-4E model and the few Minicrafts I've done had had their own special, but not insurmountable issues but...

Any suggestions on dealing with gaps THAT big?

Fill in with plastic card or two-part epoxy then some sandable filler putty?

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Gewehr 43 posted:

Figure out what's interfering and re-contour parts for a better fit?

Oh, there wasn't anything interfering. The issue was that when put in their proper position, the nozzles were angles down something like 10 degrees. That pic is them glued in the best position I could get to get the nozzles more in line with the plane.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Arquinsiel posted:

Has it got vectored thrust and the nozzles are supposed to point down for a landed kit?

Doing a GIS for Phantoms, the nozzles do seem to be angled down more on landed planes.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

I'm pretty sure this has been answered a few times, but I'll ask again - With an airbrush and spray booth, do you need to vet it outside? I'm starting to realize I need one, but don't really have anywhere to vent it out.

If I vent it just... away from where I'm working and stick to like Vallejo primer and Model/Game Air or Mecha, there shouldn't be any major concerns?

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Anyone got tips on track tensioning?

I'm working on a Trumpeter 1/72 Strv103 and the track is one of those strips of soft plastic or rubber. I got it glued together and on the tank, but there is a TON of slack...

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

I'm working on a small Strv 103 to figure out how to use my new airbrush for something other than priming and basecoating.

But I also want to build, so I guess I'm going to start in on my next project while I finish the Strv.

... It comes with photo-etch bolts :negative:

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Started work on the Daimler Dingo by... Painting the crew figures instead of the scout car itself. On that note, anyone have tips for sunburned skin? I feel like a couple of Brits in Libya like these two might be suffering from a bit of the ol' lobster skin:

I have the Vallejo Model Color Face and Skintone Set I feel like might have what I need.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

grassy gnoll posted:

The USPS needs some money, and I have extraneous kits. If you live in the US, and you're cool with sending me your address, one of these kits can be yours at no cost to you.

1x 1/72 S-model T-35
    2x 1/144 Bandai A-wings
    2x 1/72 Plastic Soldier Company M4 Shermans. Buildable as either M4A4s or Fireflies. Be forewarned: weirdly narrow tracks.
    1x egg-scale Fujimi Type 10 tank, includes photoetch fret.
    1x egg-scale Meng Tiger I
    1x egg-scale Tiger Model Ki-84

Hit me up via PM or my gmail account at destysa. Since the object is to generate a couple extra bucks for the post office, if you want to do a kit swap, that's cool too, but I'm not expecting anything other than slightly emptier shelves.

My backlog sheds a single tear, but I just wanna thank you, forums poster grassy gnoll.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Vorenus posted:

Looking for recommendations on scifi type models that aren't Star Trek/Wars or BSG if such a thing even exists. I really like a lot of the WH40K designs but $50 for something that's less than 3" tall is a bit much.

Bandai has a bunch of small models for the remake of Space Battleship Yamato that can be got for usually less than $15.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

mllaneza posted:

The "mecha collection" models are very good for the price, easy to assemble and with very sharp detail. I expect they'll take airbrushing very well when I get around to them.

Here's a good list of what's available:
https://www.1999.co.jp/eng/search?typ1_c=109&cat=&state=&sortid=0&searchkey=mecha+collection&Make=Bandai&spage=1&sold=1

Yeah, for tiny models on just a couple sprues with instructions printed on the box, they're really enjoyable. I have a couple A-wings, the Millennium Falcon, an x-wing, a Cosmo Tiger 2, Andromeda, and a Dreadnought two pack in my backlog...

These might be more crack-like than Gunpla...

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Midjack posted:

Setting aside the Nazi part, which is admittedly a big ask, some of their planes and tanks looked cool and I don’t begrudge anyone who has a couple on the shelf, especially if they have an assortment of stuff because they build what grabs their interest at a moment. Grandpa Midjack got shot down by the Germans twice and built a bunch of WWII airplane models afterwards, including a fair number of Nazi planes but he did US, UK, and Japanese stuff too. Someone who mostly or only builds Nazi stuff is suspect, and dickheads who wear SS t-shirts to their build meets can get hosed with a chainsaw.

There's an Airfix Bf 109 I keep thinking about getting specifically because it includes decals for Swiss Air Force livery.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Jonny Nox posted:

Currently arguing with wife about the bottle of Future in my office.

She wants to clean the drat floors with it!

:sever:

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Arquinsiel posted:

Hobby Link Japan has them for buttons. I've been strongly tempted to get lots.

I currently have a Ginga, Andromeda, Dreadnought two-pack, Cosmo Tiger, and Cosmo Falcon in my backlog.

To say nothing of the Star Wars portion of the line that I have....

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Arquinsiel posted:

I didn't realise there was a Star Wars portion of the Mecha Colle line... have you got links?

So I can't find 'em on HLJ, but I've ordered them off Amazon in the past. Instead of being called Mecha Colle, they're a line called Vehicle Model but are the same design as the Micha Colle ones - palm-sized model, instructions on the bottom of the lid.

here's an X-wing example Dalong.net - noted mostly for picture reviews of Gundam models - has a section on Bandai's Star Wars models with probably most of their whole line.

I haven't gotten any, but the Mecha Colle line also has Ultraman and Kamen Rider models too.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Phy posted:

Are they normally painted like that in Yamato, or were you shooting for a Chris Foss/Homeworld vibe?

That's the paint job in the first season

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sSrYskeie-s

If Star Wars is WW2 dogfights in space, Space Battleship Yamato is, as one would presume from the title, WW2 naval battles.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Arquinsiel posted:

Alright FINE, I will watch Space Battleship Yamato and end up buying loads of ships :colbert:

The plot is kinda dumb (Especially the second season), and has creepy fan service (e.g. the women's uniforms), but my GOD, those ship and plane designs...

...And I will never not love the noise Yamato's rounds make when they hit targets.

On the topic of Yamato, I'm joining in on the ship trend in the thread now.

This is the 1:3000 Yamato from a Kure Naval Port diorama kit. It also includes the battleships Musashi, Haruna, and Hyuga (It's after the conversion to a hybrid aircraft carrier, so the directions call it AIR BATTLESHIP HYUGA), the cruisers Aoba and Tone, and the carriers Ryuho, Unryu, and Amagi.

I built Yamato this afternoon, lost and found the radar/fire controlat the top of the pagoda three times, then proceeded to lose the back antennas twice, break the antenna section off, then lose the mast piece, so I had to use the part from Musashi and hope I can jury-rig a fix for when I build the other ship...

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

The Locator posted:

I think you are crazier than I am.

Each ship is only like 10-15 parts, and on Yamato, one of those parts is the entire hull and five are the gun turrets. I feel like the real challenge is going to be painting the naval base proper.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Finally finished the 1:3000 Yamato. At least finished it enough.

One down... Eight and a dockyard to go....

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Charliegrs posted:

Does anyone know if there any scale model guns out there? I'm looking for something that needs assembly and painting. The only ones I've been able to find are already assembled.

Do ya like Galaxy Quest?

https://www.amazon.com/Galaxy-Nebulizer-Pistol-Communicator-Full-Scale/dp/B00A6ULI3C

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Blue Footed Booby posted:

What are the reasons? Maybe my American is showing but I'm drawing a complete blank.

The C-96 is the gun they built Han Solo's blaster on. So it's constantly bought by nerds looking to make their own

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Granite Octopus posted:

Finished another one of those billy dollhouse kits. I tried some really basic vegetation and had some fun with it. I would love to do a small HO scale diorama for something a bit larger.

My only experience with those is a Youtube channel where a Japanese person (At least it's all in Japanese) silently builds kits like that for some of their videos.

So enjoy when you start going to absurd lengths to add items those kits are missing because this person also fabricates bucks to vacuform tiny dollhouse scale fast food containers and then sculpts tiny food to go into the tiny containers.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Pierzak posted:

You can't post all that and not link to the channel.

OK, yeah, fair. Here's their sliced ham scratchbuild.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xydoHxRbsIc

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Charliegrs posted:

I've been interested in getting some Vallejo acrylic polyurethane surface primer. Especially because they offer it in black and while I prefer Tamiya primer it only comes in white and grey. Does anyone have any experience with the Vallejo? Is it ok to use Lacquer paint on top of it? I only do car models and I tend to use Tamiya spray cans which are lacquers.

I don't use lacquers, so I dunno how it interacts, but when it comes to primer now, I pretty much just use Vallejo's.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Adding to the model ship chat, I finally got back to working on the 1:3000 IJN fleet diorama.

The next installments are the cruiser Aoba and the carrier/battleship hybrid Hyuga (Or maybe it's Ise, I dunno).

These went together with substantially less "Oh god"s and "Oh poo poo, where did that go?"s and I'm leaning to be a bit more.. Impressionistic? With the paintjob. They're tiny as gently caress, there's now point in getting too precious with them.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Carth Dookie posted:

I decided I wanted to feel grossly inadequate so I watched Plasmo's new ship vid:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HXJGbDPWD8k

Dude performs microsurgery on matchhead sized PE parts.

Goddamn it, I have a 1:700 Yamato kit and I was already too scared to work on it....

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Symetrique posted:

Looks like Bandai finally decided to make something new:

https://bandai-hobby.net/item/4465/

I got excited, then realized that's part of the small mecha colle style line.

Then I got excited again because I can have a squadron for like $20

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

grassy gnoll posted:

I keep trying to make this AK metallic wax stuff work because I'm a moron.

It never works. Buffing it up for a nice shine is a cool trick, but it never applies evenly and trying to add another layer actively removes the original application.

It's visually interesting, sure, but not actually good.

I need to bite the bullet and just buy some Alclad.

Is that basically just Rub & Buff? I don't really have experience with it, but I thought that kinda stuff was meant for hitting high spots or making weathered finishes.

Then again my exposure to Rub and Buff is prop videos on YouTube so I'm probably way wrong.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Charliegrs posted:

Does anyone know any good El cheapo black primers either acrylic or lacquer based? I do car models and the chassis I usually just paint with black primer since it's not an area I look at much plus it simulates undercoating pretty well. I was using Citadels black primer spray but it's pretty expensive. And I haven't heard anything good about Vallejo acrylic based black primer so I was wondering if there was anything else out there that would work well.

I've never had issues with Vallejo's black primer.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

grassy gnoll posted:

Tried to salvage the P-35, with mixed results.

I sanded it back a little and applied another coat of the AK metallic. That took care of some of the patchiness, but clearly not all of it. I varnished this one with Future to try and preserve as much of the sheen as I could for panel lining - regular acrylic varnishes flatten it back down in a heartbeat. The turpenoid thinner in my wash still ate away both the varnish and the paint. But it's done, and I learned several things not to do, so that's something.

The kit itself is perfectly cromulent. Special Hobby 1/72 P-35. The spats and guns were resin parts, which probably could be done with regular plastic these days without too much fuss, but they were nice to have.

Yeah, that looks pretty good.

I don't know how you were applying that stuff, but I wonder if one thing that might help the patchiness you ran into would be focus on applying it one or two panels at a time?

Might still end up patchy, but maybe you can make it look like it's not so much an issue with the application of a paint, but just differences in each panel?

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Glovebox?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glovebox

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

grassy gnoll posted:

Not wearing a diaper at the work bench, rookie mistake.

You can mount a toilet seat to a bucket. Just saying.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

HopperUK posted:

Got one of those tiny Stonehenge kits, decided to mess around. I like this fake grass stuff.

I think I have one of these somewhere, but if I don't, I now want to get a new one and build the spaceship from Timelike Infinity

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

upsidedown posted:

That looks great and having it staged like that adds another dimension.

Roughly how long is a ship at that scale? From Scalemates it looks like a foot or so?

Probably about a foot, yeah. I have a 1:700 Yamato to build that has a hull 14" long

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Yooper posted:

Saw this in the grocery store today :

Looks to be homage to the Tamiya Sherman kits.

OK, but what scale is it?