Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Carmant posted:

Any way to get these:

https://www.ableton.com/en/packs/classic-synths/

anymore? I am assuming they just straight up won't work in live 11 even if you could find the download elsewhere, which sucks.

Download was greyed out, then I logged in and now it's available. I'm on my work computer, though, so I'm not gonna download 'em. I also have 11 Suite

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carmant
Nov 23, 2015

Treadmill? What's that? Is that some kind of cake?

Weird. I'm logged in and it's still greyed out. Says the product has been discontinued. Also can't find it anywhere in live. I own 11 Suite so I'm not sure what the problem is. Maybe you can only download if you've downloaded before or owned an earlier version of Ableton as well?

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
I have three buttons. "Download", "Download for Live 10", and "Download for Live 9". I guess the first one is for Live 11? I don't think I've downloaded them before.

JeffLeonard
Apr 18, 2003

TV Violence
Is anyone running the latest beta that has native M1 processor support? I am considering switching to apple in my studio, since my current setup struggles at times with Live 11.

Fats
Oct 14, 2006

What I cannot create, I do not understand
Fun Shoe
I just installed it, I haven't had much chance to play around yet but the CPU meter went from reading 30% all the time to 2%. The only *real* issue I've been having before this on the M1 was random popping coming out of Pigments, but I don't know if that's an Ableton thing or a Pigments thing.

Fats
Oct 14, 2006

What I cannot create, I do not understand
Fun Shoe
After a weekend playing with it, the beta seems good and fixes every weird issue I had been seeing on the M1. I bet today's M1 pro/max computers run it like hell, but even on the base M1 mini it runs well. The only issue I've seen is VSTs that aren't also native just don't show up in Ableton now, unless you specifically run it in Intel mode.

Apparently Apple built a specific translation layer for AU plugins, so I might try that 90 day Logic Pro trial...

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
Really tempted to get one of those new MBPs but I'm assuming we will need a patch or two before Ableton works with Monterey.

JeffLeonard
Apr 18, 2003

TV Violence
Thanks for the info! The only VST in my regular rotation is Melodyne, so I'm thinking an M1 Mac Mini is in my future.

garbage horse
Jul 31, 2015

lovin it

Matt Zerella posted:

Really tempted to get one of those new MBPs but I'm assuming we will need a patch or two before Ableton works with Monterey.

Got me a 16 max a few days ago. I haven't dug into everything in Ableton (and I'm still kinda learning it, honestly) but so far it seems to run really well on Monterey.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
I'm rebuilding my custom midi looper/controller foot board, and was wondering - does anybody know how if there's a way to map a midi note send to a button or controller in Live? Meaning, my interface board can not only take "footswitch in -> MIDI note out" which i'll be using to turn loopers on and off, but can also receive MIDI notes and toggle LEDs, etc. I'd like to put a couple status LEDs on the controller for the looper status / channel arm for each one.

e, followup q: is there also a way to set up a 'scene change' with one midi note from a controller? meaning, say i have a launchpad-ey type thing and some rows are for turning individual loops on and off; is there way to map a note to 'no matter what's playing, turn on the second loop slot on these four tracks' ?

edit 2: found the scene triggers in the Master track, that's exactly what I need for question 2.

Jonny 290 fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Nov 22, 2021

my homie dhall
Dec 9, 2010

honey, oh please, it's just a machine
how are you supposed to effectively work with chord instruments? like, I'd like to switch between tonic note as well as quality and it seems the only way to do so is to set up a track for each quality?

I guess this applies to the midi effect as well

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
If I'm reading everything correctly for Simpler, there's no way to midi map "nudge" or start/end slice points without Push2? And it looks like its the same for Lazy chop?

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
Apropos of nothing, I would pay $1000-1200 for an Akai APC40mk2 but with 100mm motorized touch-sensitive faders. I can think of no more perfect a companion controller for the Ableton Push to be in complete and utter control of Ableton.

I say this after an extremely frustrating search for a controller (or pair of controllers) that would give me clip/session launching + motorized fader capabilities with a footprint limit of 22" x 16". I know motorized faders are quite a luxury, but I seriously hate soft-takeover on my APC 40Mk2 to the point where I either A.) Force all of my tracks down to 8 or less groups on the top layer, or B.) Just don't use the faders.

The absolute best solution I could find was an APC40mk2 paired off against a Console 1 Fader or X-Touch Extender, which I could technically accommodate on my desk but would violate the footprint limit. I even considered the opposite approach- getting a motorized fader controller as the primary controller (e.g. the X-Touch) and finding a smaller controller for clip launching. But the footprint of clip launching focused controllers is by definition large to accommodate the number of pads.

PoizenJam fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Nov 26, 2021

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I'm using a Launchkey Mini and Live Lite 10. Is there any way to globally set every new track to loop at 4 or 8 bars? Right now I'm playing an guitar in and to do a mix of any kind I need to play my loop, then come to a full stop every time to set the new track manually. I see people online doing it automatically, but I can't for the life of me google up how to do it. Is it just a matter of being on the cheapest keyboard and software options? Or am I just missing it? Is there a workaround? I'd be happy to spend time setting up a template of some kind, but I'm not experienced enough to figure the right way to do it.

Kiwillian
Mar 13, 2004

Poor Sheepy :(

Huxley posted:

I'm using a Launchkey Mini and Live Lite 10. Is there any way to globally set every new track to loop at 4 or 8 bars? Right now I'm playing an guitar in and to do a mix of any kind I need to play my loop, then come to a full stop every time to set the new track manually. I see people online doing it automatically, but I can't for the life of me google up how to do it. Is it just a matter of being on the cheapest keyboard and software options? Or am I just missing it? Is there a workaround? I'd be happy to spend time setting up a template of some kind, but I'm not experienced enough to figure the right way to do it.

I think this might be the "Take Recording and Comping" feature in Live 11?

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Matt Zerella posted:

If I'm reading everything correctly for Simpler, there's no way to midi map "nudge" or start/end slice points without Push2? And it looks like its the same for Lazy chop?

I'm away from the computer rn but I think this is one of those parameters that's only able to be mapped, macrod or controlled while there's a clip in the sampler? If that's the case, the workaround should be to just create a template instrument with a blank sample in it, then put it in an instrument rack and point a macro at the parameter.

my homie dhall
Dec 9, 2010

If anyone is interested I have a Live Lite key for grabs, just PM me

my homie dhall
Dec 9, 2010

this is extremely lazy of me, but is there any plugin or thing in ableton where I can select a bunch of midi notes and have it spit out the possible keys they are in for me? I can work it out myself okay usually, but :effort:

even better would be something with like a circle of fifths on it for finding related keys

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
A plugin would be sweet but I use this sometimes https://www.scales-chords.com/scalefinder.php

I just have a circle of fifths poster on my wall that I consult when I'm writing progressions and need ideas

DaWolfey
Oct 25, 2003

College Slice
I use Scaler 2 for this (vst), but you can't drag a clip into it, so I set the input on the track to that of the one with the notes I want to bring in and just hit play.
It can identify the scale, and then there are a lot of features for helping you with modulation, progressions etc

my homie dhall
Dec 9, 2010

prom candy posted:

A plugin would be sweet but I use this sometimes https://www.scales-chords.com/scalefinder.php

I just have a circle of fifths poster on my wall that I consult when I'm writing progressions and need ideas

DaWolfey posted:

I use Scaler 2 for this (vst), but you can't drag a clip into it, so I set the input on the track to that of the one with the notes I want to bring in and just hit play.
It can identify the scale, and then there are a lot of features for helping you with modulation, progressions etc

These both look like solid options, thanks!

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

Mesmerizing eyebrows is my specialty
Anyone have any suggestions on how to remove noise and pops from recorded speech? I managed to get rid of most of the noise by using a gate. But I have some pops and harsh sounds in some recordings that I would like to get rid off. Audacity has a surprising number of tools while Ableton seems to be lacking in this regard. Or maybe I am just not finding the right tools. I would like to avoid running all of my recordings through Audacity if possible since it is a hassle to go through each recording one by one manually when I could bulk add effects etc in Ableton.

I found ReaFIR but I can't get it to work with Ableton 11. But could just be me doing something wrong.

Boar It fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Jan 30, 2022

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

Izotope RX has some tools for that. It has automated tools but you can also get pretty surgical about removing unwanted pops with the spectral editor.

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

Mesmerizing eyebrows is my specialty

susan b buffering posted:

Izotope RX has some tools for that. It has automated tools but you can also get pretty surgical about removing unwanted pops with the spectral editor.

Checking out the trial now of the advanced version. Thanks! Apparently the elements variant is a mere $20. I wonder if that can suffice in the long run. I am not a professional by any means so my standards are pretty low.

Boar It fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Jan 30, 2022

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Does anyone have experience with any of the VST/M4L editors for Roland's AIRA TB-3? I have my TB-3 connected via MIDI cables (USB always seems to incur this awful digital noise) and I've been trying out a couple of M4L devices people have made to interface with it, because I want to start actually using this thing and writing filter movement into automation. The ones I've tried seem to hook up with the hardware no problem, except that automating (or even adjusting) certain parameters causes weird note errors - notes not playing when they should at all. Usually it's the Env controls, Amount and Decay, that do this but I just noticed it happening with the Cutoff as well.

I've attached a video of what I mean. This is not how it should be behaving, right? Honestly it's been a while since I've done anything with my TB-3 so I might be betraying a lack of understanding, but I don't think this is right.
https://va.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_r8ahqonc3u1vdfl96_720.mp4

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
Holy gently caress I hate iLok.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Anarcho-Commissar posted:

Holy gently caress I hate iLok.

i really do not understand why it's even a thing anymore. could the exact same thing not be accomplished with web authentication at this point?

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
I've run into a very peculiar and decidedly frustrating issue with Slice To New MIDI Track.

Every breakbeat I try to cut up with it is behaving less like a cohesive break than it used to. Previously, I'd have to fix timing issues here and there but overall the process went smoothly and allowed me to get right into syncopating the MIDI notes into a new rhythm. Now, it's like every sample is automatically set to loop mode, and what's worse is that the loop bracket timing is out of line with the MIDI notes! This gives each slice a clicky transient, almost but not quite a flam, with the next sample.

This happens the same way if I mess around with the Slice To new MIDI Track settings. It happens if I reconsolidate the original loop, it happens if I go in and manually correct each Transient or Warp Marker. I had initially thought it was because I was working with REX files, but it's happening with WAVs too.

Currently my workaround is either going in and manually switching each instance of Simpler to 'One-Shot' mode, which eliminates the looping, or simply shortening up all the MIDI notes. The latter is working fine for now as it's just a very percussive break, but it's going to be a problem again if I'm chopping up something fatter, like a compressed Amen break.

What am I missing? There must have been some setting that I've accidentally changed, I'm certain Slice To New MIDI Track never used to behave this poorly.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Would Ableton Live be suitable for MIDI composition? I was trying to use MuseScore with Cakewalk and its really fussy. I still don't really have a consistent way of getting it to actually come up correctly each time. Cakewalk's score editor is similarly unintuitive and does all kinds of screwy stuff. I was going to lean on Cubase since I was fine with it, like, two decades ago when I tried some version of it, but I wasn't doing scoring in it.

Edit: Okay, to be fair, Cubase costs quite a bit more and it does make me pause a lot.

Rocko Bonaparte fucked around with this message at 07:50 on Jul 14, 2022

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

It should be. I've done it, certainly, to put some of my own songs into Rocksmith. And those tracks loaded into Musescore well enough.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
From just skimming YouTube hits, it looks like it has the bare basic of importing a .mid file exported from something else, and it can do the thing I am trying now with Cakewalk of sending MuseScore 3 out to a loopback mock MIDI device routed into it. That method has been really error-prone in Cakewalk. Actually scoring on something like sheet music doesn't come up at all.

Should I not really expect a DAW to even have good management of sheet music? I might just be coming into it with a crappy expectation and instead should treat it as something more for editing and production.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

From just skimming YouTube hits, it looks like it has the bare basic of importing a .mid file exported from something else, and it can do the thing I am trying now with Cakewalk of sending MuseScore 3 out to a loopback mock MIDI device routed into it. That method has been really error-prone in Cakewalk. Actually scoring on something like sheet music doesn't come up at all.

Should I not really expect a DAW to even have good management of sheet music? I might just be coming into it with a crappy expectation and instead should treat it as something more for editing and production.

Oh I see. No, there's no score editor in Ableton (and I do wish there was, sometimes), just the piano roll.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I may well be horrendously out of date, but I think Sibelius used to be the thing for doing score.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Yeah, Sibelius is up there and from what I understand, Logic Pro has decent score editing functions as well. Ableton has nothing like that. And maybe I'm doing it wrong, but I've always had a bit of trouble importing MIDI files (entire songs, like some chiptune NES poo poo) into Live.

DaWolfey
Oct 25, 2003

College Slice
There is a max for live plugin that adds score functionality, i've never used it, but: http://www.computermusicnotation.com/

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!
Yeah, sheet music editors are a completely different kind of program. I like PreSonus Notion myself.

Back of the Bus
Aug 15, 2004

Pimpin' ain't easy when yo ride's full of schoolchildren.
Does anyone have any experience with tracking down DPC latency issues? Specifically ones that only cause pops and cracks in Live 11 and not in daily use or the other DAW I tested (Reason, ahem.) I did not have this issue using the same interface and cable and buffer settings and bit rate on my old PC but I've graduated to the new hotness: a Core i9-12900H laptop with 64GB of RAM, a Geforce 3070, and 2 SSDs, and now it's annoying me. I resolved some of it by weirdly forcing use of the GDI backend in Options.txt which greatly reduced the GPU usage- from 98% to about 2-6%, but the tech support person (edit: from Focusrite) is having me go down the rabbit hole of investigating via latencymon and while it shows some DPC spikes, I don't know if it correlates or if it's even possible to fix. I've updated all drivers, uninstalled all unused software, removed everything from startup that was unnecessary, pretty much gave the laptop the once over. I just don't know where to go from here.

Back of the Bus fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Jul 25, 2022

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
I believe LatencyMon should tell you which drivers are causing the latency spikes ("highest reported ___ routine").

Back of the Bus
Aug 15, 2004

Pimpin' ain't easy when yo ride's full of schoolchildren.

Splinter posted:

I believe LatencyMon should tell you which drivers are causing the latency spikes ("highest reported ___ routine").

It's always my nvidia driver (nvlddmkm.sys), and the latency issues only start when Live is open. I have the latest graphics driver clean installed and it's not like I can yank that card out my laptop, so am I dead in the water? Is there a known incompatibility issue here?

Edit: Idiots on the internet-at-large seem to indicate there is and that there is no one fix for it, rather several thousand. None of which I trust on a modern operating system. There's gotta be some way around this that one of you intelligent goons knows about.

Back of the Bus fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Jul 25, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

Back of the Bus posted:

It's always my nvidia driver (nvlddmkm.sys), and the latency issues only start when Live is open. I have the latest graphics driver clean installed and it's not like I can yank that card out my laptop, so am I dead in the water? Is there a known incompatibility issue here?

Edit: Idiots on the internet-at-large seem to indicate there is and that there is no one fix for it, rather several thousand. None of which I trust on a modern operating system. There's gotta be some way around this that one of you intelligent goons knows about.

I believe your CPU has integrated graphics. Is there a way you could disable the nVidia dGPU and force the system to run completely from the Intel iGPU? You might be able to "disable device" from Device Manager or there may be a BIOS option for this. After doing that, do you still have latency spikes? Another option would be to uninstall all your user installed nvidia software/drivers and see if you still receive the spikes. I'd try the former option first. These options should at least help you narrow down whether it's a problem with your graphics drivers or something else.

It's entirely possible that there isn't a satisfactory fix for your laptop. IIRC some chipsets/mobos just aren't great for this sort of thing with certain device/driver combos. I had an unresolvable DPC issue on an AMD CPU combined with a MOTU interface back in 2007 or so and it's what led to me ultimately switching to Mac for music production. It was a bit less bad using a friends Presonus interface but still present. At the time people were recommending sticking to first party board or chipsets (e.g. get essentially get an Intel board or board that used an Intel reference design), but obviously with a laptop you don't have the luxury of choosing your components to that level of detail. My understanding was on modern systems these issues were greatly minimized compared to 10 years ago (regardless of whether it's an Intel or AMD system) which allows for much less scrutiny when purchasing parts or computers for music production now, but I guess that doesn't mean they've been completely solved.