Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
Coming from a user of the APC40 for both DJing and production, I get far more use out of it as an effects controller for the latter. I really like the idea of the APC40, and with the right Max For Live devices it can be pretty versatile for step sequencing and whatnot. That being said, if you're not spending nearly all of your time composing using the session view, I find the limitations of the APC40 become much more noticeable and grating. The lack of velocity sensitivity really hurts the utility, and I kind of wish there was more freedom in how the hardware is used without relying on Max4Live.

Push is just going to be way more intuitive and really has that freedom that I wanted in a controller- freedom and integration both the APC40 and Launchpad fell a little short on I feel.

PoizenJam fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Feb 5, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
I'm hoping the Push isn't 'too good to be true'- it seems to have a lot of features and the promo videos make it seem very intuitive and easy to use. Plus I'd love to get rid of my Keyrig and APC40 to buy one. It'll save a lot of desk and room space. I'm not much of a piano player, so the keyboard was a workflow jamming tool, which the Push seems more than capable of. It'll also reduce my DJ footprint by a bunch. An S4 + APC40 is just way too bulky for the modern controllerist on the go.

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
Ableton please take my money.

Sincerely,

Impressed-With-Ableton-9-But-Where's-My-Dual-Monitors?!

Edit: Since it doesn't appear there's any discounts for Push, I'm going to wait a bit before purchasing it and see if I can't sell off my APC40 and Keyrig. It'll be a nice opportunity to downsize my studio!

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
I've been in the beta. From my experience, 9 is just 8 with added features and an extra layer of polish. The only thing you're likely to miss out on with the manual is the M4L stuff (which is not packaged with 9 standard) and some minor functionality and aesthetic changes. Most of these new features, such as the spectral read out of the EQ8, the glue compressor, and the additional modes for the normal compressor, are additions rather than a fundamental change in design theory. You'll pick up on these things quick, especially if you're familiar with production in general.

Question for all my fellow 9 users: I feel like an idiot for asking this, but where did the options in the clip envelope menu go to? All I see now are 'pitch bend' and a bunch of seemingly random CC midi controls- I can't seem to add clip envelopes for stuff like filters and formants anymore, yet they're preserved if I load songs that already have them? I've become acquainted with everything in Ableton 9 except this, and it's rather jarring.

Other minor gripe- it doesn't see all of my VSTs and crashes on some that Ableton 8 had no problems handling. Strange.

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!

MixMasterMalaria posted:

If you're in 64 bit you probably won't see the 32 bit vsts.

I use 32 bit for both. This is not the issue. The beta just plain doesn't 'see' some Vsts- however, if I create a new folder in my vst folder and move the vst in question TO that folder, it will pick it up on re-scan.

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!

h_double posted:

Rick Snoman's "Dance Music Manual" is a book that has a lot of good EDM-specific info, the first few chapters are an overview of synthesis and the production workflow and then there are individual sections for different electronic genres (house, techno, trance, garage, hip-hop, etc.) with some great specific info -- what specific drum sounds and rhythms are most common, the particulars of how things are mixed and EQ'd in different types of music, etc.

Nthing this. Nthing this so hard. I've read this book at least 3 times now, as well as Bob Katz guide to mastering audio.

Just want to reiterate a question I had earlier though: How does one edit clip envelopes for inserted devices in Ableton live 9? The envelope editor seemingly only has pitch bend and midi commands for me now. I know the functionality still exists, though, because I can load old files with clip envelopes and they work fine!

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!

Oldstench posted:

By inserted devices do you mean VSTis and Live instruments? If so, just click the E in the Clip editor and then click the control you want to automate. The selected control will automatically show up in the command dropdown. Edit (now with curves!) and enjoy.

If I totally misunderstand what you are asking, sorry.

Yeah, that is what I'm talking about. But whereas 8 had a drop down list of parameters to automate, as well as a button dedicated to pitch bending and volume automation, I just see 'midi pitch bend' and a bunch of generic CC commands in 9 beta. I haven't tried 9 proper since release- I did a fresh install and only finished setting it up on both computers right before bed last night. I'm only assuming it's similar.

Thank God for automation curves, although I have to admit the implementation still leaves something to be desired compared to FL10, which has all manners of shapes and curves to choose from.

utamaru posted:

sometimes I find that it helps to group whatever I want to automate and make a macro (throw utility in there for a volume knob). Works well when I want to automate my external gear at least.

Hands down one of the best ideas. Setting up a macro and automating it beats the hell out of, say, individually automating a reverb dry/wet, decay time, a vst filter, and a high pass filter for those big reverb/white noise wash outs. Really speeds up workflow, but you have to commit, because trying to edit it after the fact can be quite a pain.

PoizenJam fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Mar 6, 2013

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
I preordered mine from a Canadian music chain (Long and McQuade). Kind of similar to Guitar Center. The representative I spoke to told me L&M had ordered a batch of 140 units for their warehouse following the NAMM show, of which I was the ~40th person to pre-order. So if anyone is in Canada, that might be a route to go. I love L&M service and have found their support impeccable.

Now I know this rollout is confusing as all hell, but I'm assuming the same stock and shipping apply to L&M as does Guitar Center. So I'm assuming I'll get mine around the same time as most people who ordered from Guitar Center. I'll let y'all know when I get mine in. I should note though, the same representative said mid/late April is a possibility.

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
That's what my local music store is telling me. They have an order for 80-120 chain wide and I was told to expect it sometime in early/mid July, assuming their order is filled in entirety. I'm something like 44 on the waiting list so I'm crossing my fingers.

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
Are they compatible VSTs? 32-bit live won't recognize 64-bit VSTs and vice-versa. Kind of a pet peeve of mine actually- if I remember correctly, FL can run both.

Anyways, exempting that, I've had Ableton be iffy with detecting VSTs before. Try running the program in administrator mode, usually works for me. Note for some reason the update and authorizing features don't work if you do this.

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
No one has pointed out that the next Ableton update finally implements dual monitors yet have they? Because it does! :v:

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!

Radiapathy posted:

One nice thing about Ultimate Mixer that I HOPE Ableton includes with this update is the ability to see all plugins/devices loaded on all channels at a glance. I think there's a hack to make Live's Session View do the same thing, but I hope they'll make it an official option for the UI (or that they at least don't remove or break the hack).

I dunno, I think the native implementation looks much better, and makes that feature a bit redundant. You can view arrangement, mixer/session, clip midi roll and automation, AND devices all at the same time. It's like a dream come true.

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!

Popcorn posted:

One idea I have is that we put each instrument on a different track and have each track listen to different midi channels, so when we want to change synth sounds, we just change the midi channel output on the keyboard or the drum pad. Or is it more sensible to set this up some other way?

I hope someone more knowledgeable of live Ableton performances chips in, but it sounds to me like this kind of method may run very quickly into CPU crunch, as each of the channels would ostensibly be running their own redundant set of VSTs or effects. I'm assuming you're planning on using internal instruments, or are you just recording synths and loops from external machines?

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
You just discovered why the Ableton push was invented. I'm not sure of any means to map a regular midi device to swap its focus to the active track or new tracks on the fly, other than proprietary Ableton controllers- APC40 (there are 8 knobs purposefully designed to auto-map to the first 8 parameters in a track, usually an instrument rack) does it to some extent, as does the launch pad I think.

PoizenJam fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Oct 24, 2013

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
The midi-ins thing is hands down one of the most useful tricks I learned. I can have a midi roll output to two different sources. I have a beautiful moogy pluck created that requires two channels of vsts and layering. So what I can do is output the same midi to both and use the chord and pitch midi devices to create a driving bass, doubled up with an octave, and have the other channel handle the mid range content.

You could also use this technique with pads; have one channel hosting the pad proper and another hosting a plucky sound to accentuate chord changes or gating effects.

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
Oh absolutely! There are many cases where I'd prefer to use instrument racks for the same or similar purpose, but it can be useful to use two tracks for the purpose in several cases. Different sends for instance!

Unless there's a way to send from instrument racks to different returns that I'm not aware of. In which case I'd really love to know.

PoizenJam fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Oct 31, 2013

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
Fix it, buy an APC 20, make this:

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
As excited as I was about BitWig, given the length of the dev cycle, all the features so was really excited about ended up implemented in 9 and. 9.1. I'm still interested, just hardly chomping at the bit anymore so to speak.

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
Noted, but with M4L coming with suite now, and having a pretty powerful desktop rig, it's not that pertinent to me. Hopefully ableton will take the cue somehow for 10.

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
Anyone have any idea why a particular Ableton preset (Strangler Lead- a lead made in analog and nested in a pre-built instrument rack) would be causing Ableton to crash frequently? It seems like it's only ever that particular preset, when importing/duplicating/doing any kind of channel edits.

It sucks because I have a full song created and ready for release using that preset, and I'm having frequent (~5 minute) crashes when going back to edit that channel. I also can't import it in any new sets for future use.

Edit: So it turns out the crashes may have been caused by a conflict with a controller mapping. I have Push emulated on the Ipad using Lemur, and when I disabled the mapping, I no longer get crashes. Extremely odd, however, since the crashes still occured even when Lemur wasn't running. The controller mapping causes that preset and only that preset to behave as such. If I had to make a wild guess, I'd say something about the LED display information is corrupting- The creator of the mapping had to jerry rig the top display on the push using a second mapping which I guess is conflicting with the macro displays on that preset somehow- probably to do with the audio effects rack with it's own macros nested inside an instrument rack.

PoizenJam fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Feb 8, 2014

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
As someone who uses Ozone, I can confirm that's what's causing your CPU drag. Even a single instance on my master is enough to cause problems when running parallel with all my instrument channels.

Save something like Ozone for the mix down- if you're just looking for one module of Ozone, load it up individually rather than the whole thing.

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
One of the things that tripped me up moving from FL to Ableton was an over-reliance on arrangement view. It wasn't until I got a push and started taking advantage of session that I unlocked the true power of live.

I still go straight to arrangement after the main 8-32 bars sometimes though, it's not like arrangement view is bad. But session view is great for disciplining my music creation into distinct chunks.

I still find the transition from session clunky sometimes. I wish when I dumped all my clips to arrangement they'd line up looped properly rather than just laying out sequentially. Like if I dump 2 32-bar progressive chord sections with two 8 bar drum loops, the drums play out in 16 bars, one after the other, rather than the full 64 bars. Speaking of which is there any way of doing that save for dragging scenes one by one and manually stretching the shorter looped clips?

PoizenJam fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Aug 1, 2014

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
I was really intrigued with the APC 40 MK 2. I own a MK1 that I hardly ever ended up using (And yet somehow the up faders are glitchy and hosed up- fader 6 controls both 6 and 7, and fader 7 doesn't work. Not impressed; I hardly used it and it was stored for half a year before I discovered the problem and now it's out of warranty so \/:v:\/), but I've been using the Push for a year and a half; I really love it and I've been looking for a companion controller with channel faders that can help with mixing duties.

Alas, without motorized faders, I'll be playing a game of 'pick up' and 'guess the dbfs' when I scroll through channels. And since the Push can handle clip launching and automation recording, the rest of the MK2's features become kind of... Redundant I guess?

Sad because the aesthetic of the MK2 fits the Push so nicely. I'd be willing to pay quite a bit more for motorized faders.

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
I feel like trying to understand Ableton style DJing is like reading Egyptian Hieroglyphs to me. I just can't really wrap my head around it.

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
Speaking of my previous post about motorized faders, are there any good options with that feature for use with Ableton? Any with similar features to the apc40 Mk2 even? I'd really like a small midi mixing board to complement the push for my workflow- bonus points if you could conceivably use it for clip launching or automation.

Closest hing I can find is the BCF2000 but it's pretty much just the faders and a couple knobs which are a little redundant with a push setup.

I really, really wish there was a version of the MK2 with that feature.

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
How do I go about updating authorizing the stand alone Max application if I got it through Ableton Suite?

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
Recently grabbed an old Juno 106 for myself and after a bit of work I've got it communicating keys and pitch-bend with Ableton. I was wondering if I could go a step further and automate other parameters from Ableton.

It's my understanding that Ableton doesn't handle SysEx messages at all, so I used a GoBetween, both CTRLR and a Max4Live Device called Juno106Control. Now these were pretty great in that they let me edit, load, and save presets and have a gui to play with in-box, but they don't allow for real-time automation. I found Rekon Audio Juno-106 Editor which promises a bunch of features like 'real time automation'. Seems like it might be a sure thing!... Except, from what I've gleaned from other forums, it seems SysEx (and in particular, the Juno's onboard chipset) seem ill equipped to actually handle real-time automation.

I'd rather not drop $60 on a glorified editor like the one I already have, if indeed the Juno would have trouble accepting real time parameter automation. Anyone have experience with this or a similar synth?

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
Is there any quick and easy way to sync up my Ableton User Library and VSTs between two machines?

I'm guessing the answer is 'yes' for the former, but I doubt there's a solution for the latter other than manually installing your plugins on both machines.

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
For some reason I just can't seem to get Ableton to communicate with Link devices. I have my iPad connected via an ad-hoc WiFi network to the host computer, with Korg Gadget loaded. Link is enabled in both Ableton and Korg Gadget and yet the tempo data is just not syncing. Baffled.

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!

well why not posted:

[*]Don't add the compressor to the track, group the instruments you want sidechained and add the compressor to the group.

Would you consider this the 'correct' way to handle sidechain pumping, or just best practices? I'm wondering if there are specific reasons why you might want to tweak the SC envelope independently for various tracks.

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
I get that. But I'm not talking about a frequency split/multiband SC. That's still applying the same SC algorithm to all tracks, just at different levels based on where they sit in the frequency spectrum. I'm talking about applying different levels of SC'ing on different instruments within the same frequency spectrum.

That sounds a bit confusing but hopefully you understand what I mean.

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
On another note- are there good solutions for remotely accessing your studio? I'd like to keep a stripped down, 'essentials' version of Ableton for performing live or working away from home, but have the option of tapping into my home studio if I need more features for production.

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
For whatever reason, I find finger drumming bass drums on the Push fucks me up. I'm fine with finger drumming all the other elements, but my brain wants to move my foot for kicks. Too much Rock Band in my earlier years maybe?

Is there any super cheap solution for ableton? Like a single button, velocity sensitive midi foot pedal? I wouldn't even know what to call such a thing without being inundated with search results for bass/guitar foot pedals and switches.

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
Well, I'm glad at least I'm not the only person who's mentally broken on finger drumming bass kicks :v:

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
Is there any known issues between using a Push and APC40 together? Because whenever I try it there are some weird updating and lag issues.

The most common occurs when I'm laying down a drum beat on the push and want to adjust the decay on some instruments- the top display on the Push sometimes doesn't update when I hit a new pad, so it ends up adjusting the decay on the previous sample I was tweaking.

It's weird- I want them to play together so well and it does work for most stuff. I think when there's overlap/redundancy between push controls and, say, the channel encoders on the APC40 it doesn't work as well.

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
APC40 Mk 1 or Mk 2? Push 1 or Push 2?

I have Push 2 and APC40 Mk1

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
This is what I need from Ableton 10, this would be my gold standard DAW.

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!

d0grent posted:

That looks very claustrophobic and I'm glad ableton decided not to hire that guy.

I don't find that at all? But then again I've produced with dual monitors ever since Ableton added the second screen option, so I have plenty of real estate to lose (and plenty to gain with a customizable interface).

PoizenJam fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Sep 25, 2017

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
Nested/multi-level groups and integrated max4live is totally worth it. The former will be amazing for people who prefer stem mixing before the mix proper.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
If I purchase the upgrade, what’s the turnaround on getting a beta invite?