Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

oredun
Apr 12, 2007
if you guys are asking which DAW will better suit your needs i would think either would because you dont even know enough to decide which you need. they pretty much do the same thing once you get used to their features. i personally use live and i create electronic music, record (usually, sometimes country) rock bands, AND i use live to play in a band with my buddies.

now, ive never used any other DAW, but there is nothing i cant do with either a live suite plugin or free plugin. ive been using live for about 4 years straight now so i really know the ins and outs, but i think it will be like that with any commercial DAW. my point: just get one and start making tracks and reading the manual.

people say that live isnt the best for working with audio, and i just dont see that, at all. i can plug in my 16 channel interface, and record a whole band with no fuss, then go home and mix and master it with little effort. then, the next day, i can sample a record, get it quantized and chopped up into a breakbeat in about 15 minutes. then i can play a VST synth, record it to audio, and then do a bunch of crazy edits and chops and stutters.

like i said, never used another DAW, but i havnt found anything i cant do with live.

PS: im a mega ableton fanboy(if you couldnt tell by the post)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oredun
Apr 12, 2007
i just got a midi footpedal and let me tell you boys holy poo poo its awesome. i had to use midistroke(free midi to keystroke for mac) and i set it all up and its unbelievable. i highly recommend looking into a midi to keystroke program it really opens up ableton in a way just midi cant. For something like mpd's or other midi controlers its amazing. i cant believe i didnt use something like this for the first couple of years i used live.

oredun
Apr 12, 2007

Plavski posted:

Are you using it with Looper? Cos the videos I've seen of people doing that are just mindblowing.

looper can be used with just a sustain pedal and it works great(i was a beta tester, but i dont have money to upgrade, talk about blue balls). i have 7 so i dont have looper and i wanted to loop and control my set while i played a bass. the keystroke converter is a muthafuckin magic bullet. now i use the keystroke with my MPD and i can control everything in the set without touching the computer, its great.

oredun
Apr 12, 2007

dookie posted:

I tried that, but it plays the effect for all the tracks in my drum rack still.

open the drumrack so it shows the pads listed horizontally and where you can control volume and panning the drop the effect in there. thats also how you can make a send and control the send/return inside of drumrack

oredun
Apr 12, 2007
i dont think 8 is that much better than 7. its got some nice upgrades, but since 9 is in sight, i would just wait

oredun
Apr 12, 2007

Urban Wizard posted:

Does anyone know what the most comprehensive/easiest to understand tutorials or guides on making mash-ups are? I've seen a few, but I'd like to start with one that can really show me how to make everything work together. Good image quality helps too, because it doesn't help a whole lot when you can't see what things they're pressing on the program. Suggestions or tips are appreciated, too!

making the mashup is really easy because the point of the mash is how easily the songs blend together. theres basically little to no skill needed to put the two songs together inside of ableon live. the really really really hard part is finding all the songs and phrases to mash together.

good luck. dont worry about the technical aspect to much, just worry about the songs.

oredun
Apr 12, 2007
i would warp and cut songs into about 4-5 sections then drag the whole bunch over to the ableton browser and it will save the cut up song. you can then search the browser as you DJ and drag the cut up songs over to the session view.

look around on the intertubes for "the phatcondutor" he has some smart poo poo to say about DJing and live.

oredun
Apr 12, 2007

BlazinChronic posted:

If I wanted to take a note, and pitch bend it up over the time of like 24 beats...how can I do that? Is there any way to do this without using a pitch wheel off a synth and just slowly pushing it?

glide(portamento/glissando)

oredun
Apr 12, 2007

Dopo posted:

Is anyone in here experienced with Max? I'm considering programming my senior project for my math major next semester in it but I'm just getting started with the tutorials and it would be nice to talk to someone with some experience. Reply in-thread or hit me up at dopo28 at gmail dotcom.

if you havnt bought it yet, look into puredata cause its free. other than that good luck because that poo poo is intense.

oredun
Apr 12, 2007

Rakshas posted:

Is there a VST or something that simulates real scratching? Doesn't have to be terribly realistic, I just don't want to invest in hardware to do this.

not really...

post it up and what you want done with it and ill do it.

oredun
Apr 12, 2007

pennywisdom posted:

That's not what I wanted to hear :(

Does it run everything great natively, or do you need to get some asio drivers or something of the like?

no, you just plug something into it and it works great. windows really sucks for this sort of thing.

fyi i still use pc for website stuff so im no mac snob.

oredun
Apr 12, 2007

KaosPV posted:

Why does Live slice my beat samples into a MIDI track which has it's slices un-quantized? I mean, I hit the "slice to MIDI track" with some samples and I get a MIDI track with it's 8 (or 16 or whatever) slices all perfectly lined up, but some others end up with slices that are a bit forward of their supposed grid.

you can warp the sample really good and then do "slice by warp markers"

oredun
Apr 12, 2007

Jewellers posted:

Okay so I'm probably gonna invest in a 15" MacBook Pro fairly soon, what would be the minimum spec configuration to get in order to run Ableton smoothly?

i had a old whitebook 2ghz and i just bought a 2.4 c2d 13" pro and its the poo poo. it does easily twice as much VSTs as my old one, i think its due to the awesome rear end video card cause i run it with a 23" monitor.

just get the cheapest one, they will all burn through ableton no problem.

oredun
Apr 12, 2007
Ill chime in here too:

used to be a "pc"(haha like the windozes commercial, right?)

then i started using macs in the library. then i thought, man these computers are leaps and bounds nicer than pcs, both in build quality and use.

so i bought a macbook, after my friends used it, i would guess AT LEAST half a dozen bought one with a couple of months, maybe more than that even.

got stolen, bought another macbook.

used for for ~2 years as a DJ playing out about 3 times a week(when im busy i have off months like exams or holidays), about 200-250 shows. i think one crash, and it was due to a bad usb cable for my external HD.

just bought a macbook pro. and its the poo poo.

thats all i gotta say. go try a MBP and it will blow away just about any PC. i have the 13" so it was "only" 1100, compared to the 2g for the 15", which is a little pricey for my blood.

i mean gently caress, macs run windows better than a pc does!

oredun
Apr 12, 2007

Counterlogic posted:

to propogate the myth

Counterlogic posted:

if the price differential for a Mac machine from a similar speculations PC machine was at least a little (well a lot I think...) smaller, then I would be way down

13" macbook pro 1100, or macbook 999.

are not that much more than similarly equiped competitors(this is merely a FYI and not a flame)

http://www.colamco.com/store/stat/product/1000494.html?source=froogle

http://www.shopping.hp.com/webapp/shopping/computer_series.do;HHOJSID=hXNXMhQbPWJzp9vbbF3XQvHSzDF0r2HyP1tyRQwRdTmZ08hH6JpJ!1249775338?storeName=computer_store&category=notebooks&series_name=ENVY13_series

^^^it seems like that one is copying the macbook but costs more at certain options!

http://www.google.com/products/cata...0CDAQ8wIwBjgK#p

you can find me 600$ PCS all day long, but the build quality is nothing close to the computers we are talking about here.

oredun
Apr 12, 2007

cubicle gangster posted:

Here's your problem.
Do another comparison with a 17" mbp, and use english prices.

edit: nm, I did.

mbp - 17", 8gb ram, core i7 2.6ghz.
£2,419

Dell - 17", multitouch screen, 8gb ram, core i7 2.8ghz (to make up for the speed difference in software)
£1,179

See the difference? Double is too much, doesnt matter how you look at it. If a £200 interface doesnt work, i'll throw it on ebay and buy another one - i've just saved £1200.
At the point where it's pretty much the same hardware inside and you're spending £1200 outright on build quality and OS alone, something is hosed. Thats $1800 if you cant be bothered converting it.

I'd like them more if I paid what you guys did. But we dont, we pay a fuckload more and they're not worth it.

i just looked on google shopping, and while i didnt find that dell, i found plenty of other NICE computers, thats the key word NICE, for no less than 2000$ and most IBMs and nice HPs where between 2500 and 3000$.

you cant compare a normal dell to a macbook pro. its like saying a ford can get you from point a to b so bmws are a waste of money, and then showing the price of a ford as proof.

oredun
Apr 12, 2007

gingivitis the wart posted:

A follow up question: I got a 8 channel TRS to XLR snake, but I guess since the audio is coming out of my interface at line level, every channel on the mixer peaks even with the gain all the way down. Are venues going to be set up to handle that, or do I need to set up direct boxes on my own?

Oh man, what a nighmare!

Have you tried turning your interfaces volume down super low? I dunno if that would even work tho, might be to noisy.

I hope this gets answered im interested in the answer myself.

oredun
Apr 12, 2007

I r Pat posted:

Another question for you guys regarding sets and moving them.. all of the songs I have made are in separate project folders.. besides copying the pasting every track – such as bass, guitar, synth, drums etc (I have like 5-15 on each song) is there an easier way to blend songs together for a live performance? I'd assume my other option is to export each channel as a wav/mp3 and trigger it that way, but what I'm wanting to do is improvise with each individual part in a live setting.

are you trying to blend different songs, or improvise within one song?

oredun
Apr 12, 2007
if you go into the folder thing on the left of the screen(round little buttons 1, 2, and 3) and click on any of them then go and find your projects(songs) you can expand them and then pull each individual part into a new set.

for instance you can have one song open and then drag the drums from another song on it, and the drums are exactly the same as they were on the song you took them from.

the best(easiest on your computer and most stable for live) is to save everything as wav files, them make one giant set and cut and loop as needed.

if you want to run vsts and stuff you probably should have each song as its own set and then switch songs. you dont always have to do the DJ thing if the songs are original you can talk to the crowd and stuff just like a real band would.

oredun
Apr 12, 2007
you can export all stems as wavs,its in the file then export and choose individual tracks, and then re-import them.

but if you want to change anything i would make each song its own set. i think the whole DJ segue thing for a band is really lame personally, and i would just open a new set for each song. when you go and see a real band, they never have some loop or bass line or drums that carries on from the last song, they just stop and then start again.

and having sets for each song is more or less the only way to run vsts and change sounds/timbres without re-exporting new wavs.

and ableton doesnt really like huge sets with tons of wavs for some reason. sometimes they will work, sometimes they wont after they get to big, i dunno what the deal is exactly. it will say "not enough memory" or something like that and wont open up half of your clips.

oredun
Apr 12, 2007

RivensBitch posted:

:words:

Well believe it or not, it happens. See Pat's post.

did you think i was just making it up or something?

melee beats posted:

I have some really, really really huge sets and this isn't a problem for me either. Are you loading the files to RAM?

How do you load samples to RAM, i dont know about that option in live. I feel like the too big of a set has something to do with the decoding cache size or something.

since i got a MBP i havnt had any big set problems, but i did on my 2.0 ghz whitebook with 4gb ram and 80 gb HD. the set had MP3s and WAVs i also dont know if that had something to do with it. ive seen more than a few other computers give this error.

I r Pat posted:

I had that huge set problem on my old pc, but with this Macbook Pro everything I throw at Ableton has worked so far.

I r Pat posted:

Awesome, thank you for your help.

i love helping out people with live, it just makes my skillz that much more complete and helps people at an otherwise daunting bunch of software bullshit.

oredun
Apr 12, 2007

RivensBitch posted:

Why did you quote a post of mine that was a single line and then delete that single line and replace it with ":words:"?

Also why did you read my post and assume I thought you were making it up? You said:

melee beats and I are using ableton and not having this problem, so I'd wager this isn't an ableton issue, it's an issue with you, your set, or your computer.

Obviously this is an option that we made up, because we're just loving with you.

"Decoding cache size"? What are you on about?

So wait you just contradicted yourself. Your own experience tells you that this isn't an ableton issue it's a computer issue.

... okay you really, REALLY suck at trolling. What exactly inspired you to start troll the musician's lounge?

wow, you really are a gently caress!

you said the problem doesnt exist, it does exist. you can see below to verify.

i asked how to use RAM option, i had no idea what your talking about

decoding cache straight from ableton:

I'm getting messages saying, for example, "The file 07 Untitled 7.mp3 is too large to be decoded. 44 Mb would be required for the decoded file. Only 27 MB are available in the cache." I have plenty of free space on my hard disk. Is there a program setting to change the Cache Location? I am not seeing it.
You can change the cache location and the location of temporary recordings in Live's Preferences.

is ableton CONTRIDICTING ITSELF????? are you MAD ABOUT IT!!?? get MAD!!!

wow, youre a dipshit.

and i do enjoy helping people with live, infact, i sell lessons on craigslist, and i get to goto real studios and teach real engineers how to use live! its awesome, i also enjoy helping those on the internet on forums i frequent.

if you choose to apologize for your attitude and the incorrect information you posted, i will accept it. :allears:

BTW: i put the :words: in there because it was dumb and you didnt know what you were talking about. does that make sense?

oredun fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Oct 22, 2010

oredun
Apr 12, 2007

RivensBitch posted:

Wow so you can look up this issue about decoding but you can't be bothered to read the part where it explains how to load a sample into RAM?

Here I have a suggestion that may make your problem go away. When you're playing your set back in ableton, how many question marks and exclamation points are you typing? I would suggest doubling the number of punctuation marks that you mash into the keyboard during playback, I think that will solve all your problems.

Also please post links to your craigslist ads I don't believe that they exist.

wow so you can post poo poo that you have no idea what your talking about and then call me out for asking a question?

in the ableton FAQs it clearly talks about file size and set size as an issue related cache size, so i dunno "what you are on about"

i dont have poo poo to prove to you so just call me a liar and i def dont want you knowing where i on post on CL, im fine with that. BUT so far in this thread it seems ive been more helpful and knowledgable than yourself, instead of posting actual information you just get mad and post stupid poo poo. are you jealous that i might get to do something cooler than you?

i really dont know what your problem is, but if you want me to stop pickin on big daddy rivensbitch you ought to stop posting wrong and/or useless information.

also this is a thread about helping people with ableton, not your personal crusade against someone who corrects your mistakes.

if you want to start a thread in FYAD about how much you hate me thats fine, but here, its a little inappropriate.

oredun
Apr 12, 2007

Popcorn posted:

Here's a screencap I just took: Anything obviously wrong there? Is something turned off somewhere?

I'll post the session if that still doesn't help. (I don't know how to post sessions yet you see)

click the AMP tab and then crank the decay up.

oredun
Apr 12, 2007

RivensBitch posted:

You guys realize that you can use impulse inside of drum rack, right? This isn't an either-or decision, drum racks let you organize all of your drum instruments into a single instrument, which is both simple and extremely useful.

how does this work? i just tried it but i could only get the first sound in impulse to work.

oredun
Apr 12, 2007

KaosPV posted:

But that's in Live 8 right? I've got Live 7 :(

you gotta do it by hand. plus its one of those things you have to trust your ears. how else can you make music that doesnt sound like a robot? a robot cant make it for you.

and ps, the swing on 7 sucks and just makes everything a weird shuffled beat.

oredun
Apr 12, 2007

Muck and Mire posted:

Next step is definitely an aggressive sawtooth bass with plenty of overdrive and distortion, with a synced LFO modulating the filter frequency

hahaha, what else could it be?

actually, i would suggest opening massive using "modern talking" oscs and then LFO the wavetable, that should get ya a real unique sound.

I and Frau posted:

Why does Ableton's track tempo analyzer suck so bad ???

I've been using Ableton for a few years now, and used to have Live 7 however many years ago, and upgraded something like a year ago. I was basically still just learning it the whole time I had 7 (so i never knew it THAT well), and then didn't touch it for a year or so between upgrading.

Ever since I've been using the upgraded version, though, it seems like the track analyzer is just WAY worse than I ever remember it being. It barely ever even starts a track in the right place. Even when there is nothing but blank space between the track start and the first beat it'll more often than not put the start marker somewhere off in the middle of blank space, or else starts on the second of two conspicuous beats for no apparent reason, etc. And for any tracks it doesn't get right it floods them with completely wrong markers.

I'm also pretty sure I remember using the last version like three years ago and mostly just being able to drop tracks in and have them working fine by default about 80-90% of the time.

I've been annoyed with this for a while but I just bought a Traktor S2 a week or two ago and the Traktor software is almost IMPECCABLE at track analysis. I have yet to find a track it can't analyze properly (and this is drawing from the same music pool as i previously was putting into ableton). At worst, I'll need to move the first downbeat marker maybe 25% of the time but it's never very far off so this takes two seconds and usually can be done by eye without even having to preview the track to notice it. And then after that it's completely perfect.

I'm just confused how the folks over at Ableton lost their lead in something like this, considering how good they are at pretty much everything else. Did something happen between version 7 and 8, or am I just remembering it incorrectly? Or maybe I have some obscure setting set to something weird?

More importantly, I guess, is: is there any way to erase ALL warp markers from an analyzed track? I don't see any menu options for this and it's a major pain to go and remove 50+ incorrect markers from a track just so I can start doing the legwork of putting them back in by hand...

(The Traktor S2's and S4's are awesome, by the way; anyone who DJs will love the poo poo out of them provided they have the money to drop on one. The S2 is crazy on sale right now, though, and it's worth every penny.)

i agree. once i have started messing around on a set it will always just put the imported tracks BPM as whatever the master BPM is. Am i doing something wrong? I swear it used to work fine in live 7 but now its like it doesnt even exist. It seriously wont find poo poo, i have to find the BPM, set the master to that, then do a warp straight from here and fix the entire song. even if its the very first track of the project it fucks it up.

it seriously isnt automatic at all, it would be easier if it didnt even detect poo poo and you had to do it all manually. the whole links it to the master tempo is baffling and annoying as poo poo.

oredun fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Mar 12, 2012

oredun
Apr 12, 2007

xpander posted:

Well, we managed to borrow our neighbour's MOTU Ultralite to test the MIDI sync thing. It's better than ethernet(I think?) but certainly not perfect. We still experience drift, which is anywhere from "barely noticeable" to "the drunk girls don't care, but the heads do". I'm hoping the lovely club system we're playing on tomorrow night will make it more forgiving. I would do terrible, terrible things in search of the answer to this question.

Thats the answer. It doesnt work. The only way i can figure you can do it is to sync it to an MPC or something similar. MPCs are nice because they have multiple midi outs and you wont have to chain anything.

But, just give up trying to sync the computers. Its not possible. Every time you trigger anything that taxes the CPU fucks up the midi sync too. If you do everything as audio it helps, but still doesnt fix it.

oredun
Apr 12, 2007
Ok, ive got a question:

Ive been watching some vids on how to make bass growl. Best i can figure it really comes down to using EQ8 as a vowel filter. The problem is i cant figure out how the gently caress to automate every single frequency to move but all move in unison. Like, it needs 4-5 freqs to move all together, but stay the same distance apart. Ideally, id like to put them on on a fader so i can move them back and forth, but what always ends up happening is they all goto the same freq and it ends up being basically a HP filter.

Any ideas?

oredun
Apr 12, 2007

Lump Shaker posted:

I'm thinking of heading into guitar center to pick one up because they will apparently price match Amazon. The push looks cool but I think its just a bit overpriced. I believe the APC40 had the same list price at launch so maybe it will come down.

the apc40 has a lot of short comings IMO. I would wait on push, and plus, the APC is going to come down in price now that its been out a while and has to compete with push.

oredun
Apr 12, 2007

colonp posted:

You can select a specific source in the IO options on the mixer thing (the part that says Audio From/MIDI From). Click the drop-down menu that says "All Ins ▼"

It was a magical day when I figured this out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oredun
Apr 12, 2007
The key to the live vocoder is to change the carrier synth until it makes your voice sound good. It basically all comes from the synh youre using to control the vocoder.